Lucas Bellemare

Mathieu Proulx semble optimiste quant à la nomination de Sherman, qu'il considère comme une belle prise (ce qui est en partie légitime considérant qu'on aurait pu avoir Bellefeuille ou Crowton...ou Reed). Cependant il croit comme tout le monde que ce choix est celui de Wetenhall et non de Reed. Si les sourires sont uniquement pour la caméra on risque de se retrouver comme Chapdelaine avec Reed ou Higgins avec Popp. De plus le problème principal reste l'incapacité de Reed à faire les bonnes transactions pour l'équipe. C'est ce point qu'il faut travailler pour que l'équipe puisse progresser.

tony

Well I'm glad we agree on Nelson and Condell; but sorry we don't agree on Joseph.  Seems to me his success as a player was more due to his physical abilities as opposed to anything cerebral in terms of football acumen, so I am not sold on his coaching abilities; but I could be wrong, sure wouldn't be the first time.
Good to have you back MadJack.

I agree with you here on this post.

My fear with having Sherman as HC is the lack of CFL experience. A completely different game than the NFL.
Hopefully he surrounds himself with coaches that know the game and can help him get up to speed.

Time will tell.

tony

I agree with you,Sheldon. Mike Sherman definitely made a good impression on me. Much more has to be done, but it's a good beginning/a good base.

The Wetenhalls definitely committed large amounts of dollars in order to bring Mike Sherman to Montreal. He will most probably be paid in the $500,000 range. Thanks to the Wetenhalls and thanks to Kavis Reed.

The off-season now looks better.

Richard
Richard - Have to love your optimism.

GHT120

Well I'm glad we agree on Nelson and Condell; but sorry we don't agree on Joseph.  Seems to me his success as a player was more due to his physical abilities as opposed to anything cerebral in terms of football acumen, so I am not sold on his coaching abilities; but I could be wrong, sure wouldn't be the first time.
Good to have you back MadJack.

I agree with you here on this post.

My fear with having Sherman as HC is the lack of CFL experience. A completely different game than the NFL.
Hopefully he surrounds himself with coaches that know the game and can help him get up to speed.

Time will tell.
He sounds willing to delegate responsibility and manage the "big picture" philosophy; so with the right hires issues surrounding his CFL inexperience could be minimized.  He is also a veteran coach who was a QB/offensive "guy" and certainly didn't seem put off when he referenced the CFL being almost 75% passing this past season ... so no 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality.
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

tony

The proof will be in the pudding as they ( or in the Wins and Losses).
Easy to stand there and say the right things at this point.

There is allot of work to be done for this organization, for Reed and Sherman.

The next few weeks will be the next hurdle in who they will choose for OC/DC and rest of coaching staff.

HfxTC

Easy to stand there and ay the right things at this point.

The next few weeks will be the next hurdle in who they will choose for OC/DC and rest of coaching staff.
But the pick gives the fans hope, it could have been much worse. It will be interesting who he picks for his staff and then Kavis and his crew will have to find the talent... But a coach like Sherman makes convincing coaches and players much easier.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

GHT120

Easy to stand there and ay the right things at this point.

But the pick gives the fans hope, it could have been much worse. It will be interesting who he picks for his staff and then Kavis and his crew will have to find the talent... But a coach like Sherman makes convincing coaches and players much easier.
Hopefully coordinators settled in the next 3 weeks, 4 tops, so the "team" has a month to prepare for free agency

Lyle B. Style

Wonder if Sherman has a cadre of his own guys to fill coordinator positions - ie. ex NFL guys who are currently out of work, or working lower than their previous levels in hi-school or Division 3 college?

Or play it safe - bringing in subservient men (ie. waiters and towel boys) like Khari Jones, Marcel Belleifueille, etc. Perhaps even Danny Macocia?

Joseph would be a decent hire as OC, he's got lots of spunk. Another name is former Als pine-rider Ryan Dinwiddie, aka Old Blue Eyes!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

tony

Wonder if Sherman has a cadre of his own guys to fill coordinator positions - ie. ex NFL guys who are currently out of work, or working lower than their previous levels in hi-school or Division 3 college?

Or play it safe - bringing in subservient men (ie. waiters and towel boys) like Khari Jones, Marcel Belleifueille, etc. Perhaps even Danny Macocia?

Joseph would be a decent hire as OC, he's got lots of spunk. Another name is former Als pine-rider Ryan Dinwiddie, aka Old Blue Eyes!
Not a chance Macioca leaves his gig with the Univesite de Montreal to be an OC.
He has control of the team at the U of M something he will not have joining the Als.

okie

Likely a few of his own guys + who the Als recommend.  Wonder if he bring in his son-in-law is an Assistant Wide Receivers Coach with the Rams?  Lowly position, but still that is the NFL.  Any of the other guys Sherman trusts are probably in their 60's just like him.

Personally I hope for position of DC, the Als pass on 68 year-old Rich Stubler.

RichardVeilleux

My optimism tony? I know quite well that the team needs a good QB, new and better  players, but I am more optimistic with Mike Sherman as Head-Coach -despite the fact that he has no CFL experience- than I would be with Marcel  Bellefeuille or Mark Washington or DeVonte Claybrooks or Tommy Condell or Gary Crowton or Rick Stubler as the Head Coach. 

This hiring has been quite welcomed by the French media and I am sure that the whole organization feels better tonight. Again, I am not saying that there will be a Grey Cup parade in the streets of Montreal 11 1/2 months from now,but the foundation is stronger than it was yesterday.

Richard,l'optimiste.

RichardVeilleux

I do agree with you,regarding Stubler as DC,okie. I don't like his defensive schemes, which are bend but don't break.

Richard

nguyenMTL

Mike Sherman accepting the head coach's position means that he and his wife like the city of Montreal well enough to leave Cape Cod. This also indicates that he will probably have the final say on hiring his assistants.

There are two other things I like about him:
1) He seems to be a no-nonsense guy who tells it as it is. He indirectly dissed Kavis Reed a few times about the lack of passion the Alouettes displayed last season. 

2) Montreal has improved its scouting network with Sherman's hiring, as I believe Mike Sherman is a better scout than Joe Mack.

nguyenMTL

I do agree with you,regarding Stubler as DC,okie. I don't like his defensive schemes, which are bend but don't break.

Richard
I also agree with both of you regarding Stubler. I would love to see Mark Nelson as the Als' DC.

Moreover, a classmate of mine, who used to have Stubler as his DC, noted that the latter was basically senile during his latest tenure in Toronto.

idealsheldon

I posted the other day on how the team had lost credibility with the media.

Well as Richard just wrote the francophone media have been very positive about Sherman`s hiring.

RDS - Vercheval, Proulx, Eric Leblanc

98.5 - Heppell, and yes Philippe Cantin and Michel Langevin. Langevin even had positive things to say about Kavis Reed who he interacted with at a game this season.
I`m not always right, I just think I am.

Users Online

82 Guests, 12 Users (17 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
VICIOUSCIRCLE, GHT120, schmenger, FootbalYouBet, TeddyFay, J5V, Grover, Chris_87, of course, Slomojo2005, Google (17)

Most Online Today: 155. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)