HfxTC

Manziel's rights are owned by Hamilton. All they have to do to hold on to his rights for one year is to make him a qualifying offer. Now that would put them in a similar position as they were with Chris Williams. I suspect they will break the bank to sign him for two years plus an option because their HC wants him badly.

I can't see Masoli signing with Hamilton until that is resolved unless he has a terrible agent. As for Collaros, there is no way they pay him 250k on Feb 1 as is reported by Hamilton media to be in his contract.

In Ricky Ray's case. Popp will want to know his intentions when coming back from the Holidays as he spent huge on James Franklin and will want to start negotiations and get him signed before FA opens up and if unable to sign him, move him to another team. Likely Saskatchewan or possibly BC or Winnipeg. It won't be Montreal :)

So it leaves very few options for the Alouettes, who are most likely to open camp again with Durant again.
"All they have to do to hold on to his rights for one year is to make him a qualifying offer"

This would be Manziel's first CFL contract.
The rule is, A first CFL contract must be for 2 years with the 2nd year at the clubs option.

With a qualifying offer, The TiCats would hold his rights for 2 seasons and could only go to the NFL if released from his contract.

If after 10 days, Manziel refused the qualifying offer he would not be available to any other CFL team for a period of 1 full year from the day of the refusal.

The TiCats are holding all the cards in this Manziel gig
What I mean by one year is that Manziel would be allowed to use his NFL window after one year. A 1+1 for a Quarterback in the CFL is really tough for a CFL team to put their QB1 money behind that.

Manziel is independently wealthy and at 25 would be looking at the CFL to return to the NFL. That is the issue with Manziel, is it worth making an investment? Because if he shows that he's put his problems behind him and is in game shape, some NFL team will give him a second opportunity. I think the Als would be better off to sign a free agent like Masoli or Fajardo who are about to enter their primes and are committed to the CFL, than get hosed by Tillman for a hope and a prayer in an addict/alcoholic. Montreal is the worst possible CFL destination for Manziel.

Also if he refuses, the Ticats have the option to trade his rights for something or get Zilch. That's a lose/lose scenario. So not sure about holding any cards. I have no idea what they are holding in Manziel and Idon't think they know either.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

G Man

I don't want a headcase as my QB, really hope they stay away from him.

HfxTC

The last few pictures that surfaced of Johnny Football, he didn't look like a guy in football shape to me. I think its a bad deal for a football team. If he fails you've wasted time and money and lost good QB's off your roster and if he's even moderately successful, you lose him to the NFL.

tony

The last few pictures that surfaced of Johnny Football, he didn't look like a guy in football shape to me. I think its a bad deal for a football team. If he fails you've wasted time and money and lost good QB's off your roster and if he's even moderately successful, you lose him to the NFL.
Agree with you here Hfx.
Put the time and money into a QB who's career will be in the CFL.
It has been a revolving door at this position for the ALS since AC retired.
Stability is needed here to help get the O back on track.

HfxTC

tony

Durant is scheduled for a $150K bonus Jan. 15

http://3downnation.com/2017/12/23/alouettes-qb-darian-durant-large-bonus-due-january/
Kavis will pay it.
Wt$?

Think the amount of money that was paid already is more than plenty for the on field results he provided.
If anything, he should return some of that money as a good gesture for such poor performance when he actually played.

HfxTC

The guy played with zero passion, can't run, can't throw. Can't even motivate his unit, was useless promoting the team with the media. Probably the most disapointing player to suit up with the Als since their rebirth. Reed even brought in his nanny Ken Miller. The guy should hang them up. He's finished.

The reason I think Reed will pay is becaue of how long he refused to see Kerry Joseph was finished. Reed just can't admit he's wrong... He fired Chapdelain and lost ever game and looked at the fans and told them the team was a better football club. :)

G Man

I also would have expected Reed to make the ridiculous mistake of paying his friend that bonus.. but this is where Sherman can start convincing me he will indeed be the bringer of a turnaround. He should be telling him he saw the tapes of last year, no way we're paying that bonus.. time to cut him loose.
And I believe that's what will happen, not because Reed would have done it himself, but because Sherman is now here. #HopeImRight

HfxTC

I also would have expected Reed to make the ridiculous mistake of paying his friend that bonus.. but this is where Sherman can start convincing me he will indeed be the bringer of a turnaround. He should be telling him he saw the tapes of last year, no way we're paying that bonus.. time to cut him loose.
And I believe that's what will happen, not because Reed would have done it himself, but because Sherman is now here. #HopeImRight
You keep hearing the word "Accountability".... Well it should start right with that decision.

Niagara Als

The QB I would try to sign is Masoli.
Right experience
Right age
Versatile
Durable
Solid Leader
Masoli has proved his worth this past season, I agree.

Johnny Ticat slayer

http://3downnation.com/2017/12/23/alouettes-qb-darian-durant-large-bonus-due-january/
Kavis will pay it.
If Reed pays that bonus, it will be time to bump the "Fire Kavis Reed" thread to the top of the forum.

If he does pay that $150k, it will also strongly indicate he won't make a run for Franklin. 
"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

HfxTC

Kavis will pay it.
If Reed pays that bonus, it will be time to bump the "Fire Kavis Reed" thread to the top of the forum.

If he does pay that $150k, it will also strongly indicate he won't make a run for Franklin.
He did that in Edmonton. After getting ride of Ray. He kept trying to shoehorn Joseph in the QB1 position till it finally cost him his job.

pikk

Ticats are not going to keep him on a neg list for 5 yrs and then say no. Collaros is toast in Hamilton.IMO.

HfxTC

Ticats are not going to keep him on a neg list for 5 yrs and then say no. Collaros is toast in Hamilton.IMO.
He was toast when June Jones decided he didn't want him as his QB.

G Man

If HAM does sign him that's perfect, will make one more QB that I would prefer potentially available.
Mitchell, Reilly, Jennings, Harris, Nichols, Ray and let's say Manziel would be the #1's on their respective teams... leaving 2 starting spots available, and the chance to work with Sherman surely helps as well.
Not even sure if Sask would even look for a change or remain status quo... MTL might end up being the only destination with a starting QB spot truly open.

Given that, we should be able to sign the best FA available.. from what I read here that would seem to be Franklin or Masoli. I would be concerned with Collaros because of health, so not someone I'm hoping  to see us sign unless it's as a backup.

Users Online

75 Guests, 6 Users (8 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
The Last Word, Aerial, everyman, 15_championships, Chewbaca1973, Google (8)

Most Online Today: 170. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)