Grover

Quote from: "HfxTC"
Quote from: "RichardVeilleux"
Although we don't always have accurate information/details on players salaries, from what we do have, some starting  QB's earned less than $325,000 in 2016; these QB's include: Bo Levi Mitchell at $320,000, Burris at $300,000, Zach Collaros at $275,000, Jonathan Jennings at $110,000; mind you, as an "acting" GM, I would take any of these 3 before Durant; I doubt that any one of these 3 could be had for a fourth round draft pick in 2017 and a conditional second round pick in 2018.Travis Lulay earned $200,000 in 2016, meaning that Jennings and Lulay made less than $325,000 in 2016.Matt Nichols definitely earned less than $325,000, although he feels that he is worth as much as $450,000 in 2017. Wants to recuperate loss monies in 2016.

The Als could decide to give Darian Durant a larger signing bonus-up to $125,000-; since it would have a positive impact on Darian's payable US taxes, by doing so the Als would still be limiting their impact on their  2017  cap at $325,000; rather than pay him around $350,000 with no bonuses, they would reduce their costs/ the total amount paid to Darian by at least $25,000 by giving a bonus of up to $125,000. In terms of dollars receive, Darian would not lose.

Let's just hope that he won't be injured for a long period in 2017; as Chris Jones said today, he was injured 3 times in 2016 and they won only 5 games with him in 2016. He was not ready to commit a large guaranteed amount for Darian in 2017.

Richard

Your an accountant right ?

If BLM makes 320k a year for 3 years and got a 200k signing bonus. How much is that ?

Just why would Durant sign a contract for less than $400K so soon??
He is by far the most prized FA in the League and you expect him to play for a Kmart contract!  :?
He has been offered a Contract that is making him give up his Free Agency, IMHO, It will be well over $400K+++

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

HfxTC

Quote from: "idealsheldon"
Now as to how a deal got done so quickly after the trade, with supposedly no previous contact permitted, well.....

Hopefully there will not be any consequences,

Article said they agreed to terms, not that the contract i signed. They were probably on the phone the entire morning...

That consequence joke is really old...
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

HfxTC

Quote from: "Grover"
Although we don't always have accurate information/details on players salaries, from what we do have, some starting  QB's earned less than $325,000 in 2016; these QB's include: Bo Levi Mitchell at $320,000, Burris at $300,000, Zach Collaros at $275,000, Jonathan Jennings at $110,000; mind you, as an "acting" GM, I would take any of these 3 before Durant; I doubt that any one of these 3 could be had for a fourth round draft pick in 2017 and a conditional second round pick in 2018.Travis Lulay earned $200,000 in 2016, meaning that Jennings and Lulay made less than $325,000 in 2016.Matt Nichols definitely earned less than $325,000, although he feels that he is worth as much as $450,000 in 2017. Wants to recuperate loss monies in 2016.

The Als could decide to give Darian Durant a larger signing bonus-up to $125,000-; since it would have a positive impact on Darian's payable US taxes, by doing so the Als would still be limiting their impact on their  2017  cap at $325,000; rather than pay him around $350,000 with no bonuses, they would reduce their costs/ the total amount paid to Darian by at least $25,000 by giving a bonus of up to $125,000. In terms of dollars receive, Darian would not lose.

Let's just hope that he won't be injured for a long period in 2017; as Chris Jones said today, he was injured 3 times in 2016 and they won only 5 games with him in 2016. He was not ready to commit a large guaranteed amount for Darian in 2017.

Richard

Your an accountant right ?

If BLM makes 320k a year for 3 years and got a 200k signing bonus. How much is that ?

Just why would Durant sign a contract for less than $400K so soon??
He is by far the most prized FA in the League and you expect him to play for a Kmart contract!  :?

Richard's a good guy, he's just El Cheapo :)

For myself I don't give a damn how much he makes, He's happy, team is happy and as a fan I'm happy, what he takes home is none of my business.

HfxTC

Quote from: "okie"
My feeling is that Kavis Reed panicked even though there the Als were the only team serious about signing Darian Durant for an established starter's contract.  Reed had to implement his Plan A and wanted to take zero chances of that not happening.  So the deal was made.

In my opnion, Reed wanted Durant because he hopes Vernon Adams will be a similar QB in a couple years.  On the other hand, Rakeem Cato seems like he's just an afterthought.

I don't agree. He wanted to buy the "house" first so he knew how much money he had for furniture...(free agents, our own and others)

papazoola

.....Jones has brass balls alright but his arse could be on the line...IF he doesn't come up with a bona-fide starter and they finish out of the playoffs again, there will be...like Kavis says...consequences...I think it's a good trade for the Als. but you have to wonder about Cato's status with the club...He could be trade bait or released outright...I don't believe that you guys will keep him around or that he'll want to stay in Mont. considering...The qb. carousel is in full swing.
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

HfxTC

Quote from: "papazoola"
.....Jones has brass balls alright but his arse could be on the line...IF he doesn't come up with a bona-fide starter and they finish out of the playoffs again, there will be...like Kavis says...consequences...I think it's a good trade for the Als. but you have to wonder about Cato's status with the club...He could be trade bait or released outright...I don't believe that you guys will keep him around or that he'll want to stay in Mont. considering...The qb. carousel is in full swing.

Here what's going to happen Papa. Hervey is going to fleece him hard and then Hervey will fleece us hard.

HfxTC

I've been saying since free agency last year. This is Mike Kelly 2.0 and Murphy is a common denominator. These guys refuse to pay Durant, Dressler, Chick but hand out big contracts to misfits... They have zero respect for players integrity. If you remember Murphy brought in all kinds of criminals in Winnipeg and a little over a year ago the Commis had to step in to prevent Murphy from putting an NFL suspended wife beater on his neg list.

tony

You can have Crompton for some water bottles and a couple of footballs.

RichardVeilleux

I don't care what some of you or Grover may think of me, but Durant is not worth $400,000 to $450,000 a year. If Kavis Reed pays him that much, that's his problem. Some players will have to accept salary reductions and/or be released.

Amongst the 2016 QB's starters, Darian Durant had the lowest QB rating and the lowest % of completions. Let's compare with a few:

Trevor Harris 116.0 rating and 73.3% of completions.
Bo Levi Mitchell 107.9 and 68.0%
Mike Reilly 104.5 and 70.8%
Jonathan Jennings 102.2 and 67.0%
Zach Collaros 100.8 and 66.9%
Kevin Glenn 93.6 and 70.4%

Darian Durant 93.3 and 66.5%

In 2017, only Mike Reilly and Trevor Harris are said to be paid more than $400,000.

Richard

tony

I don't care what some of you or Grover may think of me, but Durant is not worth $400,000 to $450,000 a year. If Kavis Reed pays him that much, that's his problem. Some players will have to accept salary reductions and/or be released.

Amongst the 2016 QB's starters, Darian Durant had the lowest QB rating and the lowest % of completions. Let's compare with a few:

In 2017, only Mike Reilly and Trevor Harris are said to be paid more than $400,000.

Richard

Durant's numbers based on his 5 games with the last place Riders.

HfxTC

Richard

I"m just glad it was Trestman and not Jones that took over the Als after the 2007 season.

I think you're great. You are just cheap. :)

HfxTC

Quote from: "tony"

Richard

Durant's numbers based on his 5 games with the last place Riders.

Our HC asked our GM to go out and sign a specific individual and the GM did his job.... We just aren't use to that :)

Jacques can't blam his GM if things go south, that's good. Durant has been a stand up embassador of this league for years. We are adding a quality individual and we are paying what it costs.

One of my dogs (five year old female) went blind from genetic acquired cataracts. She's my wife's pride and joy. Went to the Veterinarian eye surgeons.... Price was many thousands of dollars, way more than a human getting the surgery. I paid. When you don't have a choice. YOU PAY. You can complain till the cows come home it does not matter.

papazoola

:lol:

Here what's going to happen Papa. Hervey is going to fleece him hard and then Hervey will fleece us hard.

....Sounds like a lot of wool flying around....I guess it depends on who gets the most pulled over their eyes....You gotta watch that Hervey guy 8)

....Just heard that the stamps are shopping Drew Tate.....Will he end up in Sask..Nichols still wanting the moon might leave us with no option now but to go after Franklin...Is Nichols now on Jonesies radar...????Will Cato end up in Regina????certainly is a lot of speculation regarding qbs....As the CFL turns..

HfxTC

You have to stop dreaming of Franklin...

Grover

The Als could decide to give Darian Durant a larger signing bonus-up to $125,000-; since it would have a positive impact on Darian's payable US taxes, by doing so the Als would still be limiting their impact on their  2017  cap at $325,000; rather than pay him around $350,000 with no bonuses,

Richard

Richard, Durant turned down $400K, How can you expect his agent to let him sign at $325K - $350K

Murray McCormickVerified account ?@murraylp  18m18 minutes ago
It's believed that final offer by #riders to @dariandurant was $300,000 guaranteed with $100,000 in playing incentives. #cfl

Users Online

100 Guests, 13 Users (17 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
popo, mycko75, Espo, 2ez, Holy Mackinaw, Aqualung1, AlsPal, TeddyFay, blackandgld, Cujo, vjcos, ticatbill, Yahoo!, Google (14), Baidu, Alexa

Most Online Today: 133. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)