HfxTC

Folks - I'll talk about it with the other more tenured moderators to make sure I have this right, but the "safe haven" rule doesn't that people who are fans from other teams are A) barred from starting threads in other team forums or B) must only make positive-sounding posts in other team forums. The rule is against trolling / trash talk, not criticism. There's no exact line in between those but I don't think this post crosses it. Debate the criticism on the merits.
Thanks sully, been here for 13 years and keep my posts to football. I don't engage in trash talk with other posters. In fact I explicitly tell them that I will not engage in such.

But in the spirit of helping out. I will remove my avatar :)
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

sully

Thanks sully, been here for 13 years and keep my posts to football. I don't engage in trash talk with other posters. In fact I explicitly tell them that I will not engage in such.

But in the spirit of helping out. I will remove my avatar :)
To be fair I can see a statement like "it only took you four games to figure out that the offensive coaching staff you have SUCK!" is not particularly helpful and would get these criticisms of your post started, but I thought there was also other content in the post that made it worthy of reading. It is a tough time to be an Als fan so I can't particularly blame people here for their reactions either. So we're all blameless!

Aside from making moderator statements - am I the only one who thinks Coach Sherman is actually doing a pretty good job? He has to make use of the pieces he's given, and aside from the ugly week 2 blowout I think he's done a good job keeping his team somewhat competitive. The major problem in my eyes is that the Als are dead last in the league for time with possession; they spend so much time on the defensive that there's no chance for them to score points.
I'm the Senior Director of Technology for the Canadian Football League. Got technology concerns/ideas for the league? E-mail me at ssyed@cfl.ca and we'll talk.

MadJack

Thanks sully.

But (and I hope this to be my last word on this) was I incorrect in the following from now locked post:

"I am an Alouette fan; always have been, always will be.

But what if I did this:

(a) never posted in these Alouette forums;

and 

(b) constantly went in the BC Lions forums, and told the BC fans things like that their owners are bad and should sell; that their GM is incompetent and give him a silly nickname; that their coaching staff don't know what they are doing; and accuse certain players of being no good.

If you were a BC fan, what would you think of me?

I expect you'd think I was a troll.

And you'd be correct."

HfxTC

To be fair I can see a statement like "it only took you four games to figure out that the offensive coaching staff you have SUCK!" is not particularly helpful and would get these criticisms of your post started, but I thought there was also other content in the post that made it worthy of reading. It is a tough time to be an Als fan so I can't particularly blame people here for their reactions either. So we're all blameless!

Aside from making moderator statements - am I the only one who thinks Coach Sherman is actually doing a pretty good job? He has to make use of the pieces he's given, and aside from the ugly week 2 blowout I think he's done a good job keeping his team somewhat competitive. The major problem in my eyes is that the Als are dead last in the league for time with possession; they spend so much time on the defensive that there's no chance for them to score points.
He's trying to bring a level of competency and professionalism to the Montreal coaching office. I hope he succeeds for the franchise sake.

sully

Thanks sully.

But (and I hope this to be my last word on this) was I incorrect in the following from now locked post:

"I am an Alouette fan; always have been, always will be.

But what if I did this:

(a) never posted in these Alouette forums;

and

(b) constantly went in the BC Lions forums, and told the BC fans things like that their owners are bad and should sell; that their GM is incompetent and give him a silly nickname; that their coaching staff don't know what they are doing; and accuse certain players of being no good.

If you were a BC fan, what would you think of me?

I expect you'd think I was a troll.

And you'd be correct."
You've definitely got a point with the above. I think the only way I could argue against what you're saying is because the Alouettes were almost historically bad and thus are inevitably going to invite extra attention and comments, and that (this hurts to say) most of the other team forums are so dead that there's not a lot of point posting in there. :-\

idealsheldon

I will not discuss the Eskimos on the Als forum

But as a declared Eskimos fan you still haven`t answered why you don`t post anything in the Eskimos
forum.
I`m not always right, I just think I am.

Lucas Bellemare

Je pense aussi que le général Sherman fait du bon travail. Il n'est pas le meilleur mais est loin d'être la pire personne qui aurait pu être HC des Alouettes. 

Le problème à mes yeux vient du niveau supérieur et inférieur. En haut, Kavis Reed et Joe Mack, malgré l'apparence d'une bonne saison morte, n'ont toujours pas fixé le problème majeur de l'an passé, à savoir la profondeur de la ligne à l'attaque. En bas, Khari Jones ne fait aucun scheme original ni convainquant, alors que Rich Stubler conserve la tactique de ''recule mais ne flanche pas'' qui est plus désespérante qu'autre chose. Seul Mickey Donovan semble s'en tirer malgré Stefan Logan, et les entraîneurs de positions semblent être correctes.

Même si on termine la saison avec une fiche de 1-17, il faut que Sherman reste en poste histoire de maintenir un minimum de stabilité. Changer d'entraîneur-chef n'est pas équivalent à changer de chemise.

idealsheldon

Hopefully Sherman is starting to get enough of a feel for the league that he can start asking the proper questions.

Is the play calling creative enough on offense? Should Stubler be applying more pressure on opposing QBs?

Is the personnel adequate and can it be improved? 

The QB situation is more difficult to solve in season and he will have to live with the current group. But what about OT (hopefully Johnstone solves one of the 2), Ellis at DB, Jackson at receiver?

Obviously status quo ain`t going to work.

MadJack

My problem with Jackson perhaps more with Khari Jones.

How many times was he targeted in the last game?  Once, and very inaccurately at that.

What we don't know is how many times his number was called but he couldn't get open forcing Mathews to go elsewhere.

Ellis is probably better suited at WILL than he is at DB; but Ackie's been doing fine there.

cahoonrules86

This all goes back to when Popp was let go...Maciocia was my choice.....yeah i know alot of DM haters....still  They missed the boat on that one.  They would have been much better off with Danny rather than Kavis.

idealsheldon

They would have been much better off with Danny rather than Kavis.
Sorry, but that`s like saying an abscessed (tough word to spell) tooth is better than hemorrhoids (another tough word to spell).

The guy they should have hired is Sunderland.

cahoonrules86

I wouldn't characterize DM as such.  In any case this won't end well for the organization. 

idealsheldon

I wouldn't characterize DM as such.  In any case this won't end well for the organization.
Don`t mean to insult him on a personal level. I`ve had some interactions with him when he was an Als coach, he was always pleasant.

But he`s been away from the CFL for too long and doesn`t have a U.S. pipeline that Sunderland has.

tony

The one person whom the Wettenhals should have involved ( I do not recall if they ever did approach him or not) is Pierre Vercheval. A one time Al who has been in the booth watching for many years.
He should have been employed by the organization in some fashion.
He surely has connections in the business community that could help on the sales front.
Not sure if he would have connections south of the border that would help for recruitment.
Nevertheless, he surely could be of help.

idealsheldon

The one person whom the Wettenhals should have involved ( I do not recall if they ever did approach him or not) is Pierre Vercheval. A one time Al who has been in the booth watching for many years.
He should have been employed by the organization in some fashion.
He surely has connections in the business community that could help on the sales front.
Not sure if he would have connections south of the border that would help for recruitment.
Nevertheless, he surely could be of help.
I certainly agree about Vercheval but he is probably too comfortable in his media role to get involved in the Als present situation.

Back in 2013, like Mathieu Proulx, he turned down Popp`s offer to replace Marcel Desjardins as Asst. GM. Certainly understandable. 

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/football/201302/01/01-4617296-pierre-vercheval-dans-la-ligne-de-mire-des-alouettes.php

Interesting to read again about some of the coaching candidates under consideration before they hired the immortal Dan Hawkins.  

Users Online

56 Guests, 0 Users (8 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Google (AdSense), Google (7)

Most Online Today: 114. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)