GHT120

Are you happy to see Martese Jackson in Toronto?
Are you happy to see Fabion Foote not even dressed?
Are you happy with our DTs?
Are you happy that Bear Woods was cut, yet an older, more expensive Chip Cox was kept?
My thoughts, in order, are:
  • Winnipeg let him go before he signed with the Als and nobody signed him off the practice roster last year, so I don't think it ids a foregone conclusion that he would be so successful
  • It is slightly discouraging he isn't suiting up, but until Toronto, and even Thursday night, the defence has not been the problem ... so is it a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" situation? 
  • Much as we all would like more push from the DTs I have to wonder if it isn't a "system" thing. Looking at the 2014/15/16 stats, the top DT (Cash all three times) was 11/12/13th on the team in defensive tackles. 
  • Much as I liked Bear Woods, I have no problem with him being gone; the defence has not suffered greatly from his absence (IMO) and it is a clear savings of money.  Didn't like the "how" but have no real issues with his replacements.

I commented in the off-season that I felt Cox could be let go as even last season I no longer felt he was the exceptional player he had been, and thought his contribution could largely/totally be replaced at a much lower cost.  Don't think Cox was kept instead of Woods in terms of salary management, as I expect they had more confidence in who would replace Woods than those behind Cox.  My issue is more that, regardless of whether Woods was cut,  if they had let Cox go in the off-season they might have been more likely to take a chance on SG being fully healthy and given he team a GREAT pair of receivers in he and Jackson.
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

Johnny Ticat slayer

Sheldon, Kavis has been to NFL camps and their scouts are there. I doubt that they will find Nat. players in NFL camps. NFL rosters will be reduced to 53,from 90, on September 2nd and on September 3rd teams will be allowed to add 10 players to practice rosters. It won't be before 2nd or 3rd week of September before NFL cuts will be invited by CFL teams.

Persons keep blaming Kavis Reed although he has been in place for less than a year; agreed, he made not so good moves but he can't prevent or heal injuries,particularly to Nat. players. I don't care about Edmonton and their injuries. I care about the Als. New GM's in Toronto and Edmonton sure took a much better team than Kavis in Montreal.

If the fans can't support the Als, well Mr. Wetenhall will most probably do what was done on June 24,1987 and "close the books/put the final nail on the coffin".

Richard
The fans are blameless. The fans have gladly supported the team, when the team was making an effort to be successful. If Wetenhall has to fold the team, it will be his own fault for making bad decisions.

Sure, fans of teams like the Riders and Bombers support their teams through decades of mediocrity, or worse. But, those cities don't have as many things to offer people as Montreal does.

Montreal has pro hockey, pro soccer, the Grand Prix, a major tennis tournament, and tons of festivals. It's up to the Als' owners and management, to carve out a place in Montreal's competitive sports and cultural landscape. If they cannot do that, there are plenty of choices for Montrealers to entertain themselves.
Now this is well said!
Thanks Tony!
"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

HfxTC

Last night, Mike Reilly was pressured all night; if it continues, Reilly will be injured.

That`s because they didn`t dress Jacob Ruby.
Sure and their development QB came in went 10 for 12 behind the same line and put a bunch of points on the board.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

AlsPal

Sheldon, Kavis has been to NFL camps and their scouts are there. I doubt that they will find Nat. players in NFL camps. NFL rosters will be reduced to 53,from 90, on September 2nd and on September 3rd teams will be allowed to add 10 players to practice rosters. It won't be before 2nd or 3rd week of September before NFL cuts will be invited by CFL teams.

Persons keep blaming Kavis Reed although he has been in place for less than a year; agreed, he made not so good moves but he can't prevent or heal injuries,particularly to Nat. players. I don't care about Edmonton and their injuries. I care about the Als. New GM's in Toronto and Edmonton sure took a much better team than Kavis in Montreal.

If the fans can't support the Als, well Mr. Wetenhall will most probably do what was done on June 24,1987 and "close the books/put the final nail on the coffin".

Richard
The fans are blameless. The fans have gladly supported the team, when the team was making an effort to be successful. If Wetenhall has to fold the team, it will be his own fault for making bad decisions.

Sure, fans of teams like the Riders and Bombers support their teams through decades of mediocrity, or worse. But, those cities don't have as many things to offer people as Montreal does.

Montreal has pro hockey, pro soccer, the Grand Prix, a major tennis tournament, and tons of festivals. It's up to the Als' owners and management, to carve out a place in Montreal's competitive sports and cultural landscape. If they cannot do that, there are plenty of choices for Montrealers to entertain themselves.
The sad thing is, if the team sat down and told fans that they need to rebuild in order to build the team up again, people could get behind that.

But to bring in one over the hill quarterback after another and still stink up the joint week after week while trading away young assets trying and failing to win right now, Ya, the fans are going to bail.

tony

Richard

The sad thing is, if the team sat down and told fans that they need to rebuild in order to build the team up again, people could get behind that.

But to bring in one over the hill quarterback after another and still stink up the joint week after week while trading away young assets trying and failing to win right now, Ya, the fans are going to bail.
They are following the Montreal Canadiens in the philosophy of "just make the playoffs" as oppose to rebuilding and possibly going through a couple of seasons of tough times to be able to move forward.

GHT120

Sure and their development QB came in went 10 for 12 behind the same line and put a bunch of points on the board.
In the 4th quarter with the RRS up 40-7?

HfxTC

Sure... Let's compare a team at the top of the league  having a bad game with one that hasn't made the post season legitimately in years.

idealsheldon

You meant the Riders development QB, right? :)
I`m not always right, I just think I am.

GHT120

Sure... Let's compare a team at the top of the league  having a bad game with one that hasn't made the post season legitimately in years.
Whenever a QB comes in and has good stats in a blowout one has to be cautious about over-evaluating them; big lead, backup QB, defences play differently.

Not saying Franklin is not talented or intriguing, just that one game doth not the HoF make.

Niagara Als

I believe there has been too much negative talking going on at this point in time. It's been difficult losing both Gagnon and Blake although Simmons has been playing better than some of thought at the time of his signing. With a different block, one less penalty, or one more completed pass etc we could have been the victor in the two two WPeg games. Durant had his best game of this season. His pass completion % is now over 70% and he did throw for over 300 yards. There have been times when Durant was running for his life but,he often chose some runs well and, and the team especially in the final Q, did maintain several long drives. Rutley averaged 6.5 YPC and, was also a factor in this. I can recall our OL springing Logan re his best return of the season. He did average 36.5 on his returns. George Johnson may prove to be our best national wide receiver. E Jackson and BJ Cunningham contributed well to Durant's long passes. I do believe Durant is his best at the long pass and,I feel his interceptions are generally from his short passing game. Giguere dropped one, on the BB'S goal line a perfect pass from Durant.Had this been  completed, we would have won the game and overtime would not have been needed. Lewis set a new record in passes caught. On defense Mincy and Henderson played well.I think it was Mincy who would have ran an interception into a TD but for a late whistle. Our DL is our DL. I read that Drew is out. Perhaps his replacement will be an improvement.
The fans numbered 18,564 and were very turned on by this day's play. I enjoyed the game and, the fans were also happy with the team's performance. A fan is one who supports the team and, local fans are those who go to the games ( provided they can afford it ). Until I left Montreal in 1972 I went to 90% of the games. Back in the 60's I attended most games as did many others who had to wait until the 70's for a Grey Cup. My hunch is that the fans who enjoyed the game will also be there for the next game.

Users Online

124 Guests, 12 Users (17 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
mycko75, CFL in QC, Mark, bobo82, PTBO Dave, rockfish, Krisiun, Mightygoose, Grover, danoc_86, Hamilton2005, stevehvh, Yahoo!, Google (16)

Most Online Today: 175. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)