GHT120

On March 26,2018, HfxTC,  I did "draw" what the roster could be for the beginning of the season.  My 3 QB's were then Josh Freeman and 2 amongst Garrett Fugate,Nick Shafnisky and Matthew Shiltz. For me, Drew Willy was out and I don't think that he is the long term solution as the Als QB. I definitely don't think that both Freeman and Willy will be on the roster.

Richard
I think your bang on but they will hide a couple of the kids, one on the PR one on the IR. The three that will likely make the roster are  Shiltz, Willy and Freeman and they will stick Fugate on the PR or injured list. If Antonio has a really good camp they may keep 5 for the first four games or so.

There is still the Johnny Football who's looking for a sucker... Don't count out your GM getting swindled by Tillman either.

I"m having more fun watching this without being invested. I really hope you guys get to see young guys move this team forward this year.
I wonder if they might IRL Willy to have a CFL veteran in the entourage but not on the roster; he is not physically gifted, and while he has never seemed to have the "it" factor to be a starter, to survive for so long I suspect he may "have it between the ears".
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

Reggiemac

I hope that the Als end up with a new face at QB. Willy is not the answer, hes had lots of chances to shine but has failed and his Argo failure cost the team coaching and management their jobs. I would rather lose with a new fresh face than Willy. Hes allhe will ever be and it isnt enough.  My moneys on Fugate and I hope he wins the job with no questions, he should be the obvious choice. He has lots of physical skills, enough to have him on the nfls radar prior to his knee injur. Methinks he might be a good leader as well andhe is very motivated.

HfxTC

I hope that the Als end up with a new face at QB. Willy is not the answer, hes had lots of chances to shine but has failed and his Argo failure cost the team coaching and management their jobs. I would rather lose with a new fresh face than Willy. Hes allhe will ever be and it isnt enough.  My moneys on Fugate and I hope he wins the job with no questions, he should be the obvious choice. He has lots of physical skills, enough to have him on the nfls radar prior to his knee injur. Methinks he might be a good leader as well andhe is very motivated.
I created an interesting spreadsheet. It compares the average age of 2017 week one starting rosters with 2018 projected starting rosters. In the absolute base case scenario where the Als would replace
Durant,Cox,Lewis,Hebert,Shologan with youngsters. The Als are still as old as they were last season!
2017: 29.8 years old
2018: 29,6 years old

1) That makes them by far the oldest roster in the league
2) That is a best case scenario. If however some of the replacements end up being vets like Willy and Burnett instead of kids like Shitz and Dozier, this team will actually be older than it was last year.

It will be really interesting to see how this ends up week in and week out as I compare Kazoo's "Rebuild" with his firt year.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

HfxTC

1) Has he recovered mobility?
2) Can he figure this game out?
3) Can he handle an 18 game season vs 10
4) Can he adjust to the speed of the CFL

Having said that I like him a lot. Reminds me of Lulay. Can throw on the run and is accurate.

okie

Well, getting younger has to be done by recruiting talented new-to-the-CFL imports which has a side benefit of them working on the cheap.  Personally, I do not like the approach where the agent gets the deal on behalf of the client which basically means the player is signed sight unseen.  This current regime will not last much longer if this does not change.

Earlier this  year, Analyst Charles Lussier-Raizenne publically sent messages to 4 players hoping they would sign with the Als.  Two were DB's, and two were DE's.  One of the DB's attended mini-camp (Tyquwan Glass).  The other DB (Jordon Vaden) evidently passed and is now practicing with Your Call.

We shall see if Lussier-Raizenne had luck signing either DE's Ken Ekanem or Ryan Robinson even though the Als are probably now more concerned with finding DT's.

HfxTC

Well, getting younger has to be done by recruiting talented new-to-the-CFL imports which has a side benefit of them working on the cheap.  Personally, I do not like the approach where the agent gets the deal on behalf of the client which basically means the player is signed sight unseen.  This current regime will not last much longer if this does not change.

Earlier this  year, Analyst Charles Lussier-Raizenne publically sent messages to 4 players hoping they would sign with the Als.  Two were DB's, and two were DE's.  One of the DB's attended mini-camp (Tyquwan Glass).  The other DB (Jordon Vaden) evidently passed and is now practicing with Your Call.

We shall see if Lussier-Raizenne had luck signing either DE's Ken Ekanem or Ryan Robinson even though the Als are probably now more concerned with finding DT's.
Maybe the Als plan to go with four 250 pounds Defensive linesmen and rotate them in an out a lot???

Can they have purposely forgotten to staff the DT position a month from camp?

Niagara Als

1) Has he recovered mobility?
2) Can he figure this game out?
3) Can he handle an 18 game season vs 10
4) Can he adjust to the speed of the CFL

Having said that I like him a lot. Reminds me of Lulay. Can throw on the run and is accurate.
We'll see what happens at training camp re who will start. I agree with you all that Fugate seems to be the most promising at this point but,the above questions need to be answered first.

Reggiemac

Re avg age. W got an entirely almost new defensive backfield of proven vets.  A good place to have veterans. As to the size of D line.,we are starting to see a move away from monster  tackles, emphasizing mobility and tenacity to build a swarming D line with so many games being played by D linemen, games as in line stunts, agility is an important trait maybe more importand than weight

HfxTC

Re avg age. W got an entirely almost new defensive backfield of proven vets.  A good place to have veterans. As to the size of D line.,we are starting to see a move away from monster  tackles, emphasizing mobility and tenacity to build a swarming D line with so many games being played by D linemen, games as in line stunts, agility is an important trait maybe more importand than weight
How they are staffing their front four is very interesting to me. We shall see how it works out. Rotating seven or eight 230 to 260 pound guys could certainly wear down an offensive line. Could also end up being a disaster.

Johnny Ticat slayer

How they are staffing their front four is very interesting to me. We shall see how it works out. Rotating seven or eight 230 to 260 pound guys could certainly wear down an offensive line. Could also end up being a disaster.
Johnny would like to see two 250 pound defensive tackles stop Jerome Messam 20-25 times a game!

You need size in the middle to stop the run. The trick is to find guys in the 275-300 pound range who can run sideline to sideline, and catch their breath with a twenty second play clock.

The NFL type nose tackles in the 330 pound range, would collapse after one quarter playing in the CFL!

This guy (Vince Wilfork) would have left a CFL field in an ambulance.

"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

okie

Als will (or already have) sign some proper DT's.  Whether they are any good at the CFL-level is another question.

I did find it strange that while the goal of mini-camp was to provide both repetition and "chemistry" between so many new players, the Als used Cory Tucker as the center.  Last year, Luc Brodeur-Jourdain showed up so he and Darian Durant could have familiarity with each other.  Are the Als considering the possibility of Tucker actually playing some center this year? I know he did for the last game of the year because of injuries, but the answer should be no.  Why then, did the team not bring in LBJ or even his presumed backup Kristian Matte instead for mini-camp?

HfxTC

Als will (or already have) sign some proper DT's.  Whether they are any good at the CFL-level is another question.

I did find it strange that while the goal of mini-camp was to provide both repetition and "chemistry" between so many new players, the Als used Cory Tucker as the center.  Last year, Luc Brodeur-Jourdain showed up so he and Darian Durant could have familiarity with each other.  Are the Als considering the possibility of Tucker actually playing some center this year? I know he did for the last game of the year because of injuries, but the answer should be no.  Why then, did the team not bring in LBJ or even his presumed backup Kristian Matte instead for mini-camp?
With this ridiculously short training camp the league came up with, a team making a lot of changes is at a huge disadvantage starting the season IMO. How do you get a group like this ready to play quality football with less than 10 practices.

Users Online

127 Guests, 19 Users (25 Spiders, 5 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Augustus67, RedandWhite, Iconic SR, G Man, KevinRiley2, Killer91, Lyle B. Style, ExPat, Oskie18, oskee7777, tcmike, Mightygoose, Bigshot, TravelPat1, Google (AdSense) (10), Google (15)

Most Online Today: 189. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)