RichardVeilleux

What's wrong with attending funerals? The 2018 season won't be decided at mini-camp.

I don't recall any Alouettes Head Coach, except Jim Popp, attending the CFL draft.

Richard

HfxTC

Didier Orméjuste mentioned the other day that he was told by Kavis Reed that the team will soon issue statements regarding the status of both Nik Lewis and Chip Cox.

From the latest episode of The Waggle.

Davis Sanchez says that without question, Drew Willy has looked the best among all the QB's at mini-camp.  Sanchez has doubts about Josh Freeman because he says CFL quarterbacks need to be either mobile or highly accurate.  Neither of which is a strength of Freeman as compared to other QB's in the league.  At least there is one bright spot as Sanchez was impressed with Garrett Fugate.

Article linked below is expecting Drew Willy or Matt Shiltz as the starter but picks Shiltz because of his youth.  Story also mentions Mike Sherman only attended 1 of the 3 days.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/1096040/matthew-schiltz-quart-alouettes-montreal-football-lcf
Drew Willy was always going to look the best because of experience. Willy is as good as he will get, while the rest of them are displaying 10, 20 or 30 percent of what their ceiling will be once they have played in the league.

That's why I'm against having guys like that around. The Coach's always say. I will play the guy who gives us the best chance of winning.... Well that is in direct conflict to developing a QB because they can't develop unless they play. Drew Willy is going to take the roster spot of one of these young quarterbacks and that's a damn shame.

Look at Masoli in Hamilton. Once Jones took the ball away from Collaros and gave the reps to Masoli and the starts to Masoli it was a constant improvement from game to game. Yet until that happened. I'm sure Collaros looked better in practice.

The Als can not afford to start another rethread at QB and win 1 to 3 games against this year because that won't advance the stick one bit for 2019, 2020... as opposed to winning the same 1 to 3 games with a kid who has upside is easier to stomach.

I'm not surprised that Sanchez likes Fugate, he's my darkhorse as well.

Regarding the funeral, whitout knowing the circumstances of who's funeral it was and what the relationship is, nobody can make an opinion. If it isn't family, flowers and a letter/phone call might have been advisable but we don't know.

What should be a lot more worrisome to you guys is that the Als have decided not to run a rookie camp before training camp. That is unfair to the rookies and with the extremely short training camp is disastrous IMO.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

RichardVeilleux

Masoli has been in the CFL since 2012. Can't compare with a 1 year player or rookie.

Richard

Niagara Als

Didier Orméjuste mentioned the other day that he was told by Kavis Reed that the team will soon issue statements regarding the status of both Nik Lewis and Chip Cox.

Davis Sanchez says that without question, Drew Willy has looked the best among all the QB's at mini-camp.  Sanchez has doubts about Josh Freeman because he says CFL quarterbacks need to be either mobile or highly accurate.  Neither of which is a strength of Freeman as compared to other QB's in the league.  At least there is one bright spot as Sanchez was impressed with Garrett Fugate.

Article linked below is expecting Drew Willy or Matt Shiltz as the starter but picks Shiltz because of his youth.  Story also mentions Mike Sherman only attended 1 of the 3 days.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/1096040/matthew-schiltz-quart-alouettes-montreal-football-lcf
Drew Willy was always going to look the best because of experience. Willy is as good as he will get, while the rest of them are displaying 10, 20 or 30 percent of what their ceiling will be once they have played in the league.

That's why I'm against having guys like that around. The Coach's always say. I will play the guy who gives us the best chance of winning.... Well that is in direct conflict to developing a QB because they can't develop unless they play. Drew Willy is going to take the roster spot of one of these young quarterbacks and that's a damn shame.

Look at Masoli in Hamilton. Once Jones took the ball away from Collaros and gave the reps to Masoli and the starts to Masoli it was a constant improvement from game to game. Yet until that happened. I'm sure Collaros looked better in practice.

The Als can not afford to start another rethread at QB and win 1 to 3 games against this year because that won't advance the stick one bit for 2019, 2020... as opposed to winning the same 1 to 3 games with a kid who has upside is easier to stomach.

Regarding the funeral, whitout knowing the circumstances of who's funeral it was and what the relationship is, nobody can make an opinion. If it isn't family, flowers and a letter/phone call might have been advisable but we don't know.

What should be a lot more worrisome to you guys is that the Als have decided not to run a rookie camp before training camp. That is unfair to the rookies and with the extremely short training camp is disastrous IMO.

Niagara Als

Hfx and Okie, there are extremely good posts I got excited by reading them. A dilemma for the coach re label a starter QB and, develop the rest. We got screwed by Popp re giving away BB and Adams. Kavis and Sherman have to step up. I think a gathering of rookies and others should lead to a needed rookie asap to prepare for training camp now. I also thought Fugate stood our re rookie QBs and, I was struck when I first heard the news that our NFL candidate had, in university a below 50% completion average. I do recall that Willy did have a few good games with Wpeg. Add to this the concern with respect to the attendance in this early season. Will they hang in with the team with some patience as our QB situation develops.

HfxTC

Masoli has been in the CFL since 2012. Can't compare with a 1 year player or rookie.

Richard
I wasn't, you missed the entire point. The point was Hamilton preferred to start Masoli instead of losing with their high paid vet. The same applies to let's say Durant and Willy.

HfxTC

Hfx and Okie, there are extremely good posts I got excited by reading them. A dilemma for the coach re label a starter QB and, develop the rest. We got screwed by Popp re giving away BB and Adams. Kavis and Sherman have to step up. I think a gathering of rookies and others should lead to a needed rookie asap to prepare for training camp now. I also thought Fugate stood our re rookie QBs and, I was struck when I first heard the news that our NFL candidate had, in university a below 50% completion average. I do recall that Willy did have a few good games with Wpeg. Add to this the concern with respect to the attendance in this early season. Will they hang in with the team with some patience as our QB situation develops.
Willy's string with Winnipeg was very similar to the string Crompton put up in Montreal. Mediocre play with his receivers winning contested long balls. There is zero chance for your team to finish ahead of Ray, Masoli and Harris with Drew Willy at QB, he's also going to make your oline look really bad.

RichardVeilleux

I don't think that I missed the point, HfxTC; you did with your "comparaison boiteuse".

Masoli did not start the 2017 season as the starter; Collaros did.  Masoli- a CFL player since 2012- became the starter after the team went 0-9, if my memory serves me well.

You can't compare the Alouettes situation with Hamilton. Out of 7 QB's, the Als have 4 with zero CFL experience, 2 with a total of 1 game played and 1 with CFL experience since 2012.

Who will be the starter in 2018? I don't now and I say that not even the coaches  presently know for sure. I have total confidence in the coaching staff. They will make what they feel will be the best choice.

Richard

HfxTC

I don't think that I missed the point, HfxTC; you did with your "comparaison boiteuse".

Masoli did not start the 2017 season as the starter; Collaros did.  Masoli- a CFL player since 2012- became the starter after the team went 0-9, if my memory serves me well.

You can't compare the Alouettes situation with Hamilton. Out of 7 QB's, the Als have 4 with zero CFL experience, 2 with a total of 1 game played and 1 with CFL experience since 2012.

Who will be the starter in 2018? I don't now and I say that not even the coaches  presently know for sure. I have total confidence in the coaching staff. They will make what they feel will be the best choice.

Richard
Richard, I'll tell you right now. If Willy is on the roster, he will be the starter by game four.

everyman

given that Davis Sanchez lives in downtown Vancouver I'm kind of doubtful that anyone really paid his way down there. I wouldn't necessarily believe he was watching mini camp  live from the sidelines. Perhaps tho..but..

okie

Davis Sanchez was at Vero Beach as he posted a picture of himself there.  However, you could make an argument that the sample size is too small since he viewed at most 2 days of practice before the podcast was recorded.

Regardless of what happens at training camp and who is declared #1, most likely the Als will end up using multiple starting quarterbacks this year anyway.  I suspect the number will be 3; maybe even 4.

If the team decides releases 2 QB's before training camp, the odd men out are probably Justin Holman and Nick Shafnisky.

everyman

ok...I stand corrected.
then he at least saw more than the head coach

RichardVeilleux

On March 26,2018, HfxTC,  I did "draw" what the roster could be for the beginning of the season.  My 3 QB's were then Josh Freeman and 2 amongst Garrett Fugate,Nick Shafnisky and Matthew Shiltz. For me, Drew Willy was out and I don't think that he is the long term solution as the Als QB. I definitely don't think that both Freeman and Willy will be on the roster.

Richard

LeStaf

Pour ma part, je ne vois aucune raison d'entreprendre la saison avec Willy aux commandes.  Quelle que soit la tournure des évènements, Willy ne représente pas l'avenir de cette position chez les Alouettes.  Sa dernière saison à Winnipeg est pour moi très éloquente.  Son équipe peinait avec lui aux commandes.  Nichols a pris la même équipe, dirigé la même attaque, et elle s'est instantanément mise à gagner.  Ces succès se sont relativement poursuivis en 2017.  Cette équipe était bien meilleure que les Alouettes, meilleure que les Alouettes d'aujourd'hui.

À la limite, je verrais Willy parmi les substituts.  Mais quitte à avoir une autre saison de misère, autant que ce soit avec un jeune qui progressera au lieu d'un gars qui a montré qu'il ne peut être un partant.

Je n'ai aucune confiance en Freeman non plus.  Ses statistiques professionnelles parlent d'elles-mêmes.  Il n'a pas la précision pour réussir dans cette ligue.

Le problème que je verrais à partir un jeune, ce serait que la ligne offensive ne soit pas capable de le protéger et qu'à cause de ça, le jeune ne puisse progresser correctement ou se fasse blesser.  On a déjà vu ça ces dernières années.  Qu'on le veuille ou non, les Alouettes doivent regarnir et rajeunir la ligne offensive.

Je suis tout de même d'accord avec HfxTC sur le fait que pour qu'un jeune quart progresse, il faut qu'il voie du jeu.  Mais il doit le voir dans un système qui lui permette de réussir et qu'il ait une protection décente.  C'est ce qui est arrivé à Masoli ces 2 dernières saisons, alors qu'il avait vu très peu d'action auparavant.

En terminant, si les Alouettes doivent encore être la risée de la LCF cette année, et il y a de bonnes chances pour que ça arrive, comme HfxTC le souligne, ce sera moins pénible à avaler si c'est avec un jeune qui progresse, même tranquillement, que si c'est avec un vétéran qui a l'air d'une recrue.
For translation  ---->  http://translate.google.ca/

HfxTC

On March 26,2018, HfxTC,  I did "draw" what the roster could be for the beginning of the season.  My 3 QB's were then Josh Freeman and 2 amongst Garrett Fugate,Nick Shafnisky and Matthew Shiltz. For me, Drew Willy was out and I don't think that he is the long term solution as the Als QB. I definitely don't think that both Freeman and Willy will be on the roster.

Richard
I think your bang on but they will hide a couple of the kids, one on the PR one on the IR. The three that will likely make the roster are  Shiltz, Willy and Freeman and they will stick Fugate on the PR or injured list. If Antonio has a really good camp they may keep 5 for the first four games or so.

There is still the Johnny Football who's looking for a sucker... Don't count out your GM getting swindled by Tillman either.

I"m having more fun watching this without being invested. I really hope you guys get to see young guys move this team forward this year.

Users Online

90 Guests, 16 Users (10 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Augustus67, idealsheldon, RichardVeilleux, Taleback, J5V, FenderGuy69, Grover, mycko75, papazoola, StampsRock!, SeaFiddle, MtnCat, MrLucky, Lyle B. Style, Google (AdSense) (5), Google (5)

Most Online Today: 154. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)