KevinRiley

American Hustle:

I don't remember the last time a movie fell off the cliff for me like this one did. Up until the scene with Robert DeNiro, I was deeply involved. I loved it. I was guessing the direction of the movie and looking forward to a second viewing.

Then came the scene when Amy Adams reveals her true accent to Bradley Cooper. His reaction rang false to me and took me out of the moment and movie. The last third of the film was unrealistic and felt highly contrived.

Still, I loved Amy Adams. So sexy. I couldn't take my eyes off her. Everyone else was very good. Just not sure why the script had to take a disappointing turn.

7 / 10

KevinRiley

A Most Violent Year :

It is 1981, the Most Violent Year in the history of New York, and Abel Morales (an ambitiously, honest immigrant played by Oscar Isaac) is trying to grow his oil importation business. Mr. Morales spends the entire movie doing the right thing even when everything (and I mean everything) goes wrong.

I found this movie painful to watch. The movie is preachy and unrealistic, the acting and writing is over the top and the story goes on and on and on. Considering everything that went into this movie, it is very disappointing.

3.5/10

KevinRiley

The Thing (2011):

I had nothing to do one Saturday night so I rented the 2011 version (PREquel) of "The Thing". The reviews were dreadful and the 1982 version was great so I was prepared to be disappointed. Well...

I really liked it! The acting was strong. It was tense/suspenseful. Interesting. Exciting. Yes, there were plot holes galore (especially at the end) but by then I was so invested in the movie, I didn't care.

So, if you have an evening at home, put the kids to bed (it's scary) and for a $2 rental, it is well worth the price of admission.

7 / 10

sambo42

Quote from: "KevinRiley"
Mad Max Fury Road :

Looking back at the Mad Max franchise...

* Mad Max was good but aged poorly.
* The Road Warrior was one of the great action movies of all time.
* Beyond Thunder Dome was, as a friend said, "pure unadulterated crap".

Fury Road is, thankfully, very close to The Road Warrior in terms of action and quality.

Fury Road starts with poor Max running from a bunches of futuristic thugs who catch and keep him for his blood. He tries to escape, fails and then catches a break(?) when the "white people" take him on a hunting trip in case one of them needs a blood transfusion. Max is strapped to the front of a truck and off we go.

Fury Road is the least wordy of the 4 movies in the series and it, like Charlize Theron and her 5 friends, is easy on the eyes.
The only differences between Fury Road and the Road Warrior...

1) (*The Good*) The warm moments in Fury Road add to the film in a way they did not in the Road Warrior.

2) (* The Bad*) You need to suspend disbelief (at times) during Fury Road in a way you did not for the Road Warrior- there is nothing like seeing a 65 year old woman battle a 25 year old behemoth to make you think, "Oh come on".

Tom Hardy was, as always, terrific. He literally has less than 100 words of dialogue but dominates the screen. Charlize Theron is amazing as well.

If the Road Warrior was a 9.5, Fury Road is an 9 and well worth the cost of the movie plus the lousy nachos I scoffed down while watching it.

9/10

I agree with you on this rating... its the best movie I've seen in years... no prequels, sequels or romantic comedies... just a straight out guys movie... action from start to finish... not much of a storyline, but it really wasn't needed... I could watch it again many times and not tire of it... I watched Jurassic World and while it was okay, it wasn't great... I would give that movie a 6/10...

KevinRiley

Interstellar :

I enjoyed so many different elements of this movie. The amazing special effects. The cameo performance of Matt Damon. Anne Hathaway's cute haircut. The deep ideas that make you think. All terrific. Even the performance of Matthew McConaughey.

What I didn't enjoy was much of the corniness. The silly computer humour. Michael Caine's performance - so distracting. How clean the ending is.

Somewhere, during the 3 hours, there is a great sequel to Contact and 2001. Sadly, they didn't find it. Still, it's pretty good for a science fiction movie.

7 /10

GHT120

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice :

Ben Affleck is to Batman as Ben Affleck was to Daredevil.  Makes Clooney look good.  And his suit looks like he wants to be Iron Man.

Henry Cavill is a more Batman-like than Batfflek, sadly he is supposed to be the Big Blue Boy Scout, representing Truth, Justice and the American way

Whonder Woman .....

... oh wait ...

... it isn't out yet.

Sorry

EDIT: ***NOT*** making fun of your reviews.  I am a "movie guy" and appreciate your sharing your thoughts.  Just, the moment inspired me.

drummer_god

I am a 'Marvel guy' and dislike everything DC with the exception of batman '89 and the original superman movies 1&2. That being said, I am actually excited for BvS. I haven’t seen the latest superman, but I may have to now.

I'm probably going to see mad max tomorrow due to the positive feedback in this thread.

KevinRiley

Quote from: "GHT120"
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice :

Ben Affleck is to Batman as Ben Affleck was to Daredevil.  Makes Clooney look good.  And his suit looks like he wants to be Iron Man.

Henry Cavill is a more Batman-like than Batfflek, sadly he is supposed to be the Big Blue Boy Scout, representing Truth, Justice and the American way

Whonder Woman .....

... oh wait ...

... it isn't out yet.

Sorry

EDIT: ***NOT*** making fun of your reviews.  I am a "movie guy" and appreciate your sharing your thoughts.  Just, the moment inspired me.
Fair enough.  I was wondering where you were going with your post. :)

Quote from: "drummer_god"
I am a 'Marvel guy' and dislike everything DC with the exception of batman '89 and the original superman movies 1&2. That being said, I am actually excited for BvS. I haven’t seen the latest superman, but I may have to now.

I'm probably going to see mad max tomorrow due to the positive feedback in this thread.
Let us know what you think.

drummer_god

Unfortunately, it is no longer playing in a london theater, it seems. I've been so busy lately, I missed it.

KevinRiley

Unfortunately, it is no longer playing in a london theater, it seems. I've been so busy lately, I missed it.
That's too bad, dg.  It will be on DVD soon enough.

KevinRiley

It Follows :

I've been waiting a long time to see It Follows and I wasn't disappoint. Newly out on DVD, I picked it up expecting a good scare. I got it.

It Follows stars Maika Monroe as a young woman who catches an STD in the form of an evil ghost trying to kill her. She and her friends do everything they can, minus a shot of penicillin, to cure her - without success. Her only option is to run or pass it on. She does both.

The film was made on the cheap and this adds to its appeal. There are a few crude scenes I could have done without, far more nudity than was necessary and it's hard to ignore the fact that there are few adults in this suspenseful/scary world but as long as you don't think too much, you will have a great time. I did.

9/10

KevinRiley

Trainwreck :

I was disappointed when I learned Judd Apatow directed Trainwreck. I am NOT a fan and worried the film would meander because he doesn't know when to say when. Then I watched Trainwreck and all I can say is, "Thank God for Amy Schumer".

Amy Schumer is the (young) Judy Dench of comedy. A complete natural. She's cute and funny and she knows it. Her acting never seems forced or awkward. She is perfect in this film.

(Surprisingly) Almost her equal is Bill Hader. His performance is impressive given who he's up against. The two make the cutest couple and you can't help but root for them.

As for the film itself, it is too long by 15 minutes (instead of the usual 30 of an Apatow movie) and for every scene (not involving the couple) that works...

* John Cena's latent homosexuality;
* Hader's friendship with LeBron James;

(Both of which there should have been more of)

there are scenes that don't...

* The movie within a movie staring Marisa Tomei and Daniel Radcliffe;
* The Intervention.

Still, the movie is terrific and works even when it doesn't. All of that can be put at the feet of Amy Schumer and her charms. She could be the (naughty) Lucille Ball of this century.

8/10

P.S. This is truly a chick flick. Lots of nude bums and every one of them is male.   :thdn:

GHT120

Dave (1993)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106673/

A very small " B " movie that I just cannot resist whenever I stumble across it.

Kevin Kline plays Dave Kovic, who runs a small town Temp service, and happens to be a look-alike for the sitting President Bill Mitchell.  When Mitchell makes a campaign stop nearby, Kovic was hired to "double" for Mitchell by waving and leaving a dinner down a staircase and and away from a crowd. Of course Mitchell is JFK-ish and has a massive stroke while "visiting a constituent".  On the way to deliver Kovic back to his home, the convoy gets turned around as Mitchell's top advisors (played by Frank Langella and Kevin Dunn) decide that Kovic should continue the masquerade while they see how Mitchell does.  Sigourney Weaver plays the First Lady, distanced from her husband, who eventually uncovers the deception but finds in Kovic the idealism that attracted her to her husband years before.

It is an unpretentious, light and fairly predictable film but it shines with the devotion and integrity that we all(regardless of political persuasion) hope pour politicians have.

KevinRiley

Quote from: "GHT120"
Dave (1993)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106673/

A very small " B " movie that I just cannot resist whenever I stumble across it.

Kevin Kline plays Dave Kovic, who runs a small town Temp service, and happens to be a look-alike for the sitting President Bill Mitchell.  When Mitchell makes a campaign stop nearby, Kovic was hired to "double" for Mitchell by waving and leaving a dinner down a staircase and and away from a crowd. Of course Mitchell is JFK-ish and has a massive stroke while "visiting a constituent".  On the way to deliver Kovic back to his home, the convoy gets turned around as Mitchell's top advisors (played by Frank Langella and Kevin Dunn) decide that Kovic should continue the masquerade while they see how Mitchell does.  Sigourney Weaver plays the First Lady, distanced from her husband, who eventually uncovers the deception but finds in Kovic the idealism that attracted her to her husband years before.

It is an unpretentious, light and fairly predictable film but it shines with the devotion and integrity that we all(regardless of political persuasion) hope pour politicians have.

Glad you liked it but I wasn't fussy on it.  You were right when you called it "light".  To me, it was almost too light.

Thanks for adding the review.   :thup:

GHT120

I too am a "Marvel Guy"; embarrassingly large collection, including complete Iron Man run from Tales of Suspense 39 onwards.

Not hard to dislike DC film/television as the Christopher Reeves Supermans beyond 1&2 are awful; as were the Batmans other than '89 and the Nolan trio.  But Both Arrow and Flash are well done on the CW, check them out.

Users Online

62 Guests, 1 User (9 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
AlsPal, Google (9)

Most Online Today: 139. Most Online Ever: 225 (Aug 15 2017, 11:52 AM)