cfleskfan

It should be an interesting year if Nichols can stay healthy.  The two have somewhat contrasting styles and IMO give the Eskimos their best one two combo at Qb, since Wilkinson/Lemmerman or maybe Dunnigan/Allen.

MKP_CFLfan

The Ray / Maas combo wasn't bad either, but you are right that the current group could prove a good compliment to each other.

cfleskfan

I would have include Ray/Maas but I found that their styles were fairly similar not contrasting to the extent of the other tandems.

oilerrocker

Quote from: "cfleskfan"
It should be an interesting year if Nichols can stay healthy.  The two have somewhat contrasting styles and IMO give the Eskimos their best one two combo at Qb, since Wilkinson/Lemmerman or maybe Dunnigan/Allen.
  Wilkinson and Moon, not Lemmerman I don't think Lemmerman was an Eskimo for all that long and only had  1 year that he played that well .

cfleskfan

Quote from: "oilerrocker"
  Wilkinson and Moon, not Lemmerman I don't think Lemmerman was an Eskimo for all that long and only had  1 year that he played that well .

Bruce Lemmerman played for the Eskimos from 1971-1979 and has 5 Grey Cup rings to show for it.

oilerrocker

Quote from: "oilerrocker"

Bruce Lemmerman played for the Eskimos from 1971-1979 and has 5 Grey Cup rings to show for it.

Here are his career stats not really impressive.

Games Played and Passing
Year   Team   GP   PA   PC   %   Yds   TD   Int   Sacked   Yds
1971   EDM   7   145   73   50.3   1055   8   11   3   25
1972   EDM   3   60   34   56.6   541   7   4   3   32
1973   EDM   16   257   153   59.5   1851   14   16   4   39
1974   EDM   16   140   68   48.5   858   4   10   4   30
1975   EDM   16   170   97   57   1402   8   6   1   5
1976   EDM   16   354   189   53.3   2271   13   18   6   52
1977   EDM   16   219   117   53.4   1475   5   6   

1978   EDM   1   38   23   60.5   294   1   2   2   22
1980   HAM   8   112   62   55.4   775   3   10   11   71
Rushing
Year   Team   TC   Yds   Avg   TD   Long
1971   EDM   26   87   3.3   2   21
1972   EDM   12   39   3.3   3   15
1973   EDM   36   95   2.6   1   13
1974   EDM   9   26   2.9   0   7
1975   EDM   19   61   3.2   1   11
1976   EDM   24   137   5.7   0   18
1977   EDM   18   5   0.3   1   14
1978   EDM   5   -5   -1   0   2
1980   HAM   6   26   4.3   0   16

cfleskfan

When you consider much of the number 2 or 1a quarterbacks playing time is either mopping up or coming in to try and perform miracles, stats do not tell the whole story.  If the guy comes off the bench when the team is behind, there is a higher likelihood that he will have to go with low percentage plays to try to get back in the game.  On the other side, when coming in when ahead, the Qb will often be told to try only high percentage plays often hand-offs to protect the lead.  Stats on back up or number 2 Qb's are a poor barometer to their actual value.  But as the saying goes; "Statistics are for losers".  With 5 Grey Cup rings, Lemmerman was definately not a loser.

I was fortunate to have had many chances to watch the Lemmerman/Wilkinson show prior to being transfered to Calgary in 1981.  Trust me I was there and it was a great show.

cflsteve

When the SMS went into place in the mid 2000's teams were unable to pay and carry 2 starting QBS like they did in the past with veterans like Allen and others being able to continue playing with the lure of a decent contract. Since the second SMS in 2010 the teams that were able to develop more than one QB are beginning to pay off. As a top back up was lost or signed the next man up was very inexperienced. Now you can see Nichols and likley Harris, Masoli, or Mitchel able to step in or take over for a good QB and less of having no choice but to sign a Kevin Glenn type. The kind of corner the BC Lions got backed up into last year with Demarco and Montreal with Marsh.
Edm would be comfortable with Nichols having to play. CAL the same with Tate. IMO I think that Harris and Masoli will be able to do the job as well.
If Durant gets injured the riders will be sunk like BC and Montreal were last year.
600K plus in the Cap will allow for a bit more pay for a good #2

oilerrocker

When you consider much of the number 2 or 1a quarterbacks playing time is either mopping up or coming in to try and perform miracles, stats do not tell the whole story.  If the guy comes off the bench when the team is behind, there is a higher likelihood that he will have to go with low percentage plays to try to get back in the game.  On the other side, when coming in when ahead, the Qb will often be told to try only high percentage plays often hand-offs to protect the lead.  Stats on back up or number 2 Qb's are a poor barometer to their actual value.  But as the saying goes; "Statistics are for losers".  With 5 Grey Cup rings, Lemmerman was definately not a loser.

I was fortunate to have had many chances to watch the Lemmerman/Wilkinson show prior to being transfered to Calgary in 1981.  Trust me I was there and it was a great show.

Me too and met Wilkinson and Lemmerman at a kids camp in Edmonton as well as Estay and Fennell 76 was his best year but I think it was 77 when the blow out in MTL happened Lemmerman was on a bit of a hot streak but they chose to start Wilkinson instead but to be honest I don't remember to much more from Lemmerman then that

Chief

Nichols looked good tonight, but I'd still rather have Reilly. He has heart, and that's not something you can coach. No matter the circumstances, Reilly always puts the team on his shoulders.
2015 Grey Cup Champions

cflsteve

Quote from: "Chief"
Nichols looked good tonight, but I'd still rather have Reilly. He has heart, and that's not something you can coach. No matter the circumstances, Reilly always puts the team on his shoulders.

Nichols played very well but Reilly has solidified his spot as the starter. It does give EDM two very good young QBs and should Reilly have to be out for some games a lot of confidence in Nichols is there. That is big for the players and coaches to not have to hesitate if Nichols needs to start knowing that he gives them a great chance to win as well

cflsteve

On a side note Crompton was odd man out and he played very well for the Als. Also looking very comfortable behind center coming in the second qtr.

Chief

Quote from: "cflsteve"
Nichols played very well but Reilly has solidified his spot as the starter. It does give EDM two very good young QBs and should Reilly have to be out for some games a lot of confidence in Nichols is there. That is big for the players and coaches to not have to hesitate if Nichols needs to start knowing that he gives them a great chance to win as well
For sure. It's nice to finally have some stability at QB.  :thup:  And good news: According to TSN.ca, it doesn't sound like Reilly's injury is serious.

rpaege

So what's the story with Reilly? He's he fit for the next game?

Chief

Users Online

92 Guests, 22 Users (14 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
JoeyT, sully, Mightygoose, do or die, bobo82, RedandWhite, Rick16, 60YearFan, prairiewolf77, Aqualung1, bedrock, jkm, alphamale111, raymarkca, Sidney, RichardVeilleux, Iconic SR, Lyle B. Style, BillyDee87, TravelPat1, Yahoo!, Google (12), Baidu

Most Online Today: 144. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)