TravelPatB

We have some numbers from the preseason games on TSN and TSN2 over the weekend - a weekend dominated by World Cup on TV. Not bad numbers for preseason IMO - especially the two on TSN2. Those numbers are actually very good for something on that network. (The Friday night game on TSN comes in lower because it was up against the double overtime Stanley Cup clinching game Friday night)

1. NHL, Rangers at Kings, Friday, CBC: 3,335,000*
2. World Cup, England vs. Italy, Saturday, CBC: 2,800,000
3. World Cup, Argentina vs. Bosnia-Herzegovina, Sunday, CBC: 1,868,000
4. World Cup, Brazil vs. Croatia, Thursday, CBC: 1,623,000
5. World Cup, Ivory Coast vs. Japan, Saturday, CBC: 1,551,000
6. World Cup, Chile vs. Australia, Friday, CBC: 1,499,000
7. World Cup, Netherlands vs. Spain, Friday, CBC: 1,422,000
8. World Cup, France vs. Honduras, Sunday, CBC: 1,357,000
9. World Cup, Uruguay vs. Costa Rica, Saturday, CBC: 1,351,000
10. World Cup, Switzerland vs. Ecuador, Sunday, CBC: 1,200,000
11. World Cup, Colombia vs. Greece, Saturday, CBC: 1,182,000
12. World Cup, Mexico vs. Cameroon, Friday, CBC: 750,000
13. MLB, Blue Jays at Orioles, Friday, Sportsnet: 604,000
14. MLB, Blue Jays at Orioles, Saturday, Sportsnet: 599,000
15. MLB, Blue Jays at Orioles, Sunday, Sportsnet: 535,000
16. NBA, Heat at Spurs, Sunday, TSN: 448,000*
17. CFL, Blue Bombers at Stampeders, Saturday, TSN2: 332,000
18. CFL, RedBlacks at Roughriders, Saturday, TSN2: 288,000

19. Golf, U.S. Open final round, Sunday, TSN: 247,000*
20. Golf, U.S. Open third round, Saturday, TSN: 215,000*
21. CFL, Lions at Eskimos, Friday, TSN: 197,000

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-ga ... 59421.html

dupsdell

not bad , but the world cup is going to dominate ratings until it is over , the cfl will still get excellent ratings but not as big as the world cup will .

cflsteve

With the CBA hangin over the leagues head TSN really did not do much by ways of advertising these pre season games and am0ong all of the big events going on Stanley Cup, NBA Finals, Worldcup, those numbers are very very good.

Kind of a benchmark that the CFL is and will be going forward among the prime mainstream sports that people will watch regardless.

Mr.Bungle

Considering the games were complete garbage and meaningless does not help either... I'm just curious why the Mighty Riders brought in 50K less then the Bombers despite having opponents that have identical slightly more then lukewarm footprints in their communities.
Rogers has lost tens of million on the NFL, hundreds of millions on the Blow Jays, and are now losing billions on the NHL TV deal, yet refuse to get involved with the Argos, who will be profitable in just over 1 year. SCREW ROGERS!!

calgaryred

Quote from: "Mr.Bungle"
Considering the games were complete garbage and meaningless does not help either... I'm just curious why the Mighty Riders brought in 50K less then the Bombers despite having opponents that have identical slightly more then lukewarm footprints in their communities.

you answered your own question
I LOVE CHRIS RUDGE AND DAVID BRALEY

wolfman44

I am a little surprised by the Rider/Redblack game, TV ratings and attendance. Its only an exhibition game, but I figured Rider fans would be watching to see you might replace Dressler, Simon and Sheets. I would have figured Ottawa would have given the ratings a bump to catch their first glimpse of their new team, even if they are wearing a white helmet which I think is just wrong for Ottawa.

Mr.Bungle

Lord only knows what the monday ratings from Winnipeg were.
Pat.. Do you have any incite?
Good thing Joan Osbourne didn't ask if God was gay..lol... The Late 90s were not as enlightened as now :cowboy:

Xvys

Many fans held back from buying single game tickets for the preseason games as it looked likely they'd be cancelled, only days before the game. The threat of strike probably cost the CFL several millions in potential ticket and merchandise sales. That was great theatrics by the union to annoy CFL fans, holding a strike vote on the same day they accepted the league's contract offer, while making headlines about how cheap the league was and how little CFL players get paid in relation to other major sports leagues. I'm sure that was an eye-opener for many casual fans.

I read some fans held off from buying seasons tickets this year, especially in Vancouver and Toronto, not wanting to pay in advance for games that might not even be played...especially since there are a bountiful supply of seats available if they choose to attend.

tangledweb

Quote from: "Xvys"
Many fans held back from buying single game tickets for the preseason games as it looked likely they'd be cancelled, only days before the game.
The threat of strike probably cost the CFL several millions in potential ticket and merchandise sales.

making it even more remarkable that 24,000 showed up at IGF for the Argos @ Bombers pre-season game.

If the Bombers can field a half decent team this year, sellouts will not be uncommon with such a passionate fanbase.

TravelPatB

Winnipeg/Calgary game was more prime time for more of the west than the Riders Redblacks game - hence more viewers. 8:00PM in Winnipeg and 7:00PM in Calgary. The start time in Regina (either 5:00PM or 4:00PM - I can never remember what time of year Saskatchewan is one hour behind us and what part they are two hours behind us - lol) - so lots of people are still out and about enjoying outdoor events or doing other things at this time of year.

Plus the Riders - Redblacks game was up against the England - Italy World Cup game that attracted over 2.8 million fans to CBC at the same time. The Stamps - Bummers game was only up against the 1.5 million watching Ivory Coast - Japan.

rhymes with orange

Quote from: "Xvys"
I read some fans held off from buying seasons tickets this year, especially in Vancouver and Toronto, not wanting to pay in advance for games that might not even be played...especially since there are a bountiful supply of seats available if they choose to attend.

I would be interested in reading that article if you can post it, Xvys.

Lions President Dennis Skulsky was on the radio saying they had their busiest season ticket day of the off-season when the potential strike made headlines. But that was early on - before all this talk of "poverty" and "some teams could fold" by the players and Players Union which may have turned some fans off.

slimjim

Quote from: "wolfman44"
I am a little surprised by the Rider/Redblack game, TV ratings and attendance. Its only an exhibition game, but I figured Rider fans would be watching to see you might replace Dressler, Simon and Sheets. I would have figured Ottawa would have given the ratings a bump to catch their first glimpse of their new team, even if they are wearing a white helmet which I think is just wrong for Ottawa.

I'm surprised that a pre-season game on TSN2 had such good ratings.   I like many others can't get TSN2 only TSN1.

Also surprised that 1.2 Million Canadians watched Switzerland and Camaroon!!

Mr.Bungle

Quote from: "tangledweb"
making it even more remarkable that 24,000 showed up at IGF for the Argos @ Bombers pre-season game.

If the Bombers can field a half decent team this year, sellouts will not be uncommon with such a passionate fanbase.
There was nowhere near 24K there.. 10K would be more accurate... The CFL needs to put all exibition games in neutral sites... Whether it's Kelowna or Victoria, Saskatoon, Brandon, Anchorage,London, Windsor, QC, etc. If you can get 5000 people to show up for a game in a small stadium then it is better then what we have been seeing. The Argos smartly already do this.

cflsteve

Quote from: "Mr.Bungle"
Quote from: "tangledweb"

There was nowhere near 24K there.. 10K would be more accurate... The CFL needs to put all exibition games in neutral sites... Whether it's Kelowna or Victoria, Saskatoon, Brandon, Anchorage,London, Windsor, QC, etc. If you can get 5000 people to show up for a game in a small stadium then it is better then what we have been seeing. The Argos smartly already do this.

The problem with that is that season tickets holders buy pre season tickets as part of their package whether they use them or not.
Toronto gets away with this because there is so much extra seating that season ticket holders can be coomped extra ticket to a regular season game or choose to go to Varsity. Saving them lots of $$$ in renting RC over the cost f0or Varsity. They will be likely to hold their TC and pre season game next year in York at the new stadium.
So while it could work at the bigger stadiums in Toronto and Vancouver not a whole lot of room to comp tickets for the smaller capacity stadiums

Mr.Bungle

sell the preseason game separetly... Season ticket holders get the preseason game for free... So if you can get 5000 fans to actually pay good money for a good experience... Say at 40 bucks a pop (200K) this would pay for atleast some of the camp costs. The way it stands now, the camp and preseason game are nothing but a finacial drain... Nobody pays for the tickets, so what is the point? Then nobody bothers to show up? What is the point?

Users Online

101 Guests, 2 Users (16 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
RichardVeilleux, Yahoo! (2), Google (14)

Most Online Today: 149. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)