HfxTC

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/02/27/cf ... of-new-cba

I expected this. Hope the players get their share.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

drummer_god

i hope the players stay realistic in their demands. don't expect the cap to jump to $7Million or something.
$5Million is the reasonable expectation this time around.

HfxTC

Quote from: "drummer_god"
i hope the players stay realistic in their demands. don't expect the cap to jump to $7Million or something.
$5Million is the reasonable expectation this time around.

Well right now Cohon told the teams to handle free Agency like if there was no change ! And the Players see that two or three million of revenues. At the very least the increase should reflect the current percentage of wages/revenues. Which would be 30 t0 35 percent. Really the players should demand no less than 800k cap increase to 5.3 million dollars.

drummer_god

what about:
$5Million in 2014, $5.5million in 2015 and 2016 then $6million in 2017?

does that sound like something that might work and be agreed to?

HfxTC

I'm at 16.9 your at 16.5 over 3 years. Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

cflsteve

what about:

I think that would be very reasonable for both sides. During this time that money will be there for sure.

During that time if the TV ratings make any kind of signifigant jump from its avg 750K per game that would result in more corporate sponsor revenue as prime comercial Add space around the stadium being viewed by more people the spaces would go for more $$$ for team sponsors either current sponsors or new sponsors bidding more $$$ for that add space in prime areas on the playing field, digital sponsor boards and other prime areas that will get a lot of camera time.

A stadium Like Commonwealth with larger seating capacity covering seats in the end zones with Commercial Add banners that would be seen during every extra point and FG could surpass the actuall $$$ amount if the seats were being sold.

In that next round of CBA negotitions the CFLPA will need to have the figures on the rise in corporate commercial sponsors are paying

pw13

what about:

By the players, for sure. By the owners, not a chance. Owners will want to keep it well below $5M in years 1 and 2, and maybe up to $5M by year 3. Say $4.6-4.8-5.0 for total spend of $14.4M over three years.  If players insist on $5M/yr to start, we will almost certainly have a work stoppage IMO.

bomber_empire

IMO the Cap should be set up as so.

2014 - $5 million
2015- $5.1 million
2016 - $5.2 million
2017 - $5.3 million
2018 - $5.4 million

Cap goes up by $1 million over 5 years, although I'd much rather see it go up $1.5 million over 5.
New tv deal ends after the 2018, so once the new deal is in place, a new cba should also be negotiated and adjusted accordingly.

pw13

I very much doubt we will see a CBA that expires at the same time as the TV deal expires. Owners will not want to risk a big increase in TV fees driving the cap through the roof, and players will not want to risk a lower TV deal reducing the cap. It will be a 3-yr deal, I bet, and it won't start as high as $5M/yr.

ArgoT

I hope the players are united with these negotiations and if there ever was a time to actually threaten to walk I would not blame them here.
The cap has to increase at a minimum $500,000 per year for the next three years.

HfxTC

Quote from: "pw13"
I very much doubt we will see a CBA that expires at the same time as the TV deal expires. Owners will not want to risk a big increase in TV fees driving the cap through the roof, and players will not want to risk a lower TV deal reducing the cap. It will be a 3-yr deal, I bet, and it won't start as high as $5M/yr.

How can you state that? Its not your money  :lol:

HfxTC

Quote from: "ArgoT"
I hope the players are united with these negotiations and if there ever was a time to actually threaten to walk I would not blame them here.
The cap has to increase at a minimum $500,000 per year for the next three years.

I predicted last year that I think there may not be a training camp at the very least. Will be interesting to see who can hold out longer. The players who many play video games during the off season instead of working or the owners who have a bunch of new stadiums to pay for. Winnipeg and Ottawa in particular most be sweating bullets.

pw13

Quote from: "HfxTC"

Hey, I'm not the one throwing around the owners' money like it is suddenly in abundance. I'm just trying to bring some reality to this debate. The owners will want as low a deal as possible -- they're not going to start throwing money at players just because they got a new TV deal. They want to start enjoying their profits, and keep as much as possible to themselves -- as any business owners would.

HfxTC

Quote from: "pw13"
Quote from: "HfxTC"

Hey, I'm not the one throwing around the owners' money like it is suddenly in abundance. I'm just trying to bring some reality to this debate. The owners will want as low a deal as possible -- they're not going to start throwing money at players just because they got a new TV deal. They want to start enjoying their profits, and keep as much as possible to themselves -- as any business owners would.

EVERY CBA in pro sports (At least in North America) is based on percentage of revenues, that is a FACT. CFL players had that in place and threw it away in their last contract and now have a new Union leader, FACT!  CFL players are under paid, that is  a FACT. Teams are claiming record profits, that is also a FACT but you think the owners should rob the players MORE.

Xvys

For many of the players they haven't received a pay cheque for 6 or 7 months. I'm sure their wives and girlfriends (or perhaps boyfriends :wink: ) are nagging them to "bring home the bacon".  It might be admirable to take a stand to force the owner's hands with a work stoppage but the reality is they want to get paid.

One idea is to give every player under contract a 7% "escalator" bonus. That is about half of the 15% increase in average team's revenues as a result of the new TV contract. So the Cap would be raised $300,000 automatically  (to $4.7M) with this bonus. So all players can benefit immediately, not just players who sign future contracts under the enlarged Salary Cap.

This might be the ticket to get players to sign a new CBA. The Cap could also be raised to $5.06 million, which is a 15% increase from last season. Not sure about the annual increases in the Cap as the TV contract is set for the next 5 to 6 years. But a modest Cap increase of $100,000 per year is reasonable if other sources of revenue grow.

The minimum salary could be raised to $50,000, which is a nice entry-level salary for young prospects. The playoff bonuses should also be raised 15%. So Grey Cup winners would earn a $27,500 bonus, up from $24,000.

Users Online

100 Guests, 5 Users (14 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
ed ohmnes, Johnny Ticat slayer, KevinRiley2, AlsPal, Yahoo!, Google (13)

Most Online Today: 157. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)