vjcos

Here we go again folks Mr B Our friend from RIM has just tendered an offer of 212 Mil for the Phoenix Coyotes. Buckle up I wonder what The Tiny perfect Little Commisioner will have to say this time

TCTD

Damian Goddard of CHCH-TV sports has just reported that Jim Balsillie has tabled an offer to purchase the Phoenix Coyotes of the NHL for $212.5 million conditional on approval to move the team to Southern Ontario. Goddard said the story is running on the Canada Sports Wire.

oski-oui-oui

xtybe

Man, every time, as a city we get excited when stuff like this happens... even selling out season tickets for a franchise we dont even have... and every time it ends in pure disappointment.

PLEASE let this time pan out!! Hockey can survive here! I'll be so disgusted if they put in another team in the GTA, up in that North York highway 7 region.
Stick it in Hamilton, right smack in the middle of Toronto, Niagara falls, Kitchener/Waterloo/Guelph and London!!

synthcat

Quote from: "xtybe"
Man, every time, as a city we get excited when stuff like this happens... even selling out season tickets for a franchise we dont even have... and every time it ends in pure disappointment.

PLEASE let this time pan out!! Hockey can survive here! I'll be so disgusted if they put in another team in the GTA, up in that North York highway 7 region.
Stick it in Hamilton, right smack in the middle of Toronto, Niagara falls, Kitchener/Waterloo/Guelph and London!!
Vaughan has almost doubled in population in last number of years.  Its bordered by Caledon, Brampton, King, Richmond Hill, Markham, and Toronto is directly south.  Not much sense in getting any hopes up.  If Bettman is going to acknowledge Southern Ontario, I'm afraid Vaughan will be the place.

TCTD

Jim Balsillie has already scored a hat trick (Pittsburgh Penguins, Nashville Predators and Phoenix Coyotes) but NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman disallowed the first two goals.  The third goal will probably also need to be "sent upstairs for review". Third time lucky?

ticats4life86

I don't think Bettman can block the sale can he? Is this not done through the Arizona court system? Once he purchases the franchise will it not just go to the NHL B of G to a vote as to wether or not he can relocate the franchise?

I think if that's the case they would be out of their mind not to move the team, the league would be a lot stronger with another team in southern Ontario than if Phoenix were to retain the team.
Some people think football is a matter of life or death, but it\'s far more important than that.
- Bill Shankley

Season Ticket Holder Tim Hortons Field Section 101.

TCTD

According to this article in the Arizona Republic, the Phoenix Coyotes filed for Chapter 11 reorganization today and a $35 million portion of the $212.5 conditional purchase price would be paid to the NHL for loans it has made to the Phoenix Coyotes franchise. It appears that, unless a better offer is made by another purchaser before June 30/09, the NHL will be much less likely to resist the purchase than they were on the previous attempts by Mr. Balsillie to purchase the Pittsburgh Penguins or the Nashville Predators.

http://www.azcentral.com/business/artic ... s0506.html

CaptainKirk

The Coyotes' CEO said,"the court process will assure that the new owner and team's location will be known by June 30, though it was unclear if the NHL would still need to approve new ownership or relocation after that date.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/629536

Mikefrmthhammer

Hamilton is so overdue to a return to the NHL. I hope JB is successful this time.

One suggestion I have for him is to return to the Jets name. "Hamilton Jets" sounds cool to me. (There may be copyright problems in changing the team name to "Tigers" (the name of our previous NHL team) and "Hurricanes" (the other Hamilton name I really like) has unfortunately already been taken in the NHL).

I think having an NHL team in Hamilton will be good for the Ticats. While their seasons, and perhaps to some degree, their fan base may overlap slightly there will be plenty of cross-marketing opportunities for both teams.
[size=150]Mike.[/size][/i]

"It\'s a job, not a hobby". me Feb 25, 2009

Travis, gone but not forgotten.

RIP Travis - gone but not forgotten.

Mikefrmthhammer

Balsillie is looking for help in his bid to establish a seventh Canadian NHL team. He’s asking fans who want to see a seventh NHL franchise in Canada to make their voices heard. He’s asking fans to log on to www.makeitseven.ca to add their voices to his bid.

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/560686

I'm certainly going to do so, and I ask all Canadian sports fans to do the same.

synthcat

To tell you the truth.....I would be quite happy if the Coyotes completely folded.  Not that I like to see people associated with these organizations/NHL lose their jobs....but I would like to enjoy the NHL once again as I remember it.  Of course, we now have a draft that includes European players which I embrace, so going back to the days of a 12 team league is not plausible.   What I would like to see is a 24 team league that dresses 3 lines, NOT THE CURRENT 4.   This league is so watered down from what it could be.  Anyone else hear me on this?

argotom

tc23

Deeds Speak !
Get R Done !
Make Good Decisions !
BRING THE NOISE !!!!!!

Sportsmen

Gary Bettman wants to keep the NHL in all those "Hockey Hot Beds"  like Florida, Nashville and Phoenix." :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  Honestly, I hope Hamilton gets the franchise, or maybe Winnipeg or Quebec, Great Canadian Cities that got screwed when that pipsqueek Bettman started ruining the NHL.

Users Online

72 Guests, 5 Users (6 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
tabbyfan, djrobertson2017, Lyle B. Style, Mr., PTBO Dave, Yahoo!, Google (5)

Most Online Today: 127. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)