ottawacat

It's odd how often in pro football we see a coach who is clearly excellent in a particular role take on a bigger position and fail, repeatedly.  Maybe it's the lure of more money, I don't know. But Reinebold was excellent as a special teams coach after having been a head coach in the league.  

Good luck to him!
was he?  or was Banks just like reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally good up until this year?

There was much much more to Reinebold's special teams than Banks, although he helped a lot.
Onside punts, punt blocks, etc., and getting his squad to play hard for him were his best qualities
"It's odd how often in pro football we see a coach who is clearly excellent in a particular role take on a bigger position and fail..."

Could that perhaps apply to anyone else around here? ::)

ExPat

My favourite thing about this thread is the way it appears on the main topics page:

Reinebold replaced
By Grover

Congratulations Grover!

Grover

My favourite thing about this thread is the way it appears on the main topics page:

Reinebold replaced
By Grover

Congratulations Grover!
Maybe if it was Grover Covington taking over the Defence!  ::)

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

FenderGuy69

Interview with Jeff Reinebold on his NFL UK Podcast. iTunes version is all I can find for right now, will try to find another link/source as well.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/inside-the-huddle-jay-cutler-is-back-in-the-nfl/id396901540?i=1000390794348&mt=2

Lennywasout

Just finished listening and to me it sounds like a dysfunctional organization from Kent Austin down.  I've been a supporter of his but after this interview I'm not so sure anymore.  Gotta feel for Jeff. 

Grover

Thanks for posting FG69.
It certainly sounds like he is sure he won't be coming back.  :(

Crash

Just finished listening and to me it sounds like a dysfunctional organization from Kent Austin down.  I've been a supporter of his but after this interview I'm not so sure anymore.  Gotta feel for Jeff.
Honestly, doesn't sound dysfunctional to me. He took a couple shots at the offense and I can't blame him for that. Hes bitter and disappointed. I agree we just played our best game on D - but in reality this has been one of the worst defences in team history.
The biggest issue with the "dysfunction" is Austin wearing this many hats. Its hard to be the VP and Head Coach, and act exclusively in that role for a given situation. How hard must it be for Kent to negotiate a contract with a player one day, have a disagreement on the terms of the deal, money, etc. Give your reasons why a player doesn't deserve money, then go downstairs and coach that same player without being any hard feelings either way.
I wouldn't read much in to the interview. Cool to hear some thoughts from who seems to be a genuine guy.... but in reality he wasn't a great D Co-ordinator.
As for "There was no conversations leading up to this at all" - I don't buy that. You're telling Kent Austin didn't once ask him what you are doing on 2nd down, or something like that?

ExPat

Honestly, doesn't sound dysfunctional to me. He took a couple shots at the offense and I can't blame him for that. Hes bitter and disappointed. I agree we just played our best game on D - but in reality this has been one of the worst defences in team history.
Yeah, it would be tough to talk about this the day after it happened.  But still I would describe his comments as highly selective.  He talked about the three stops the defence made in the fourth quarter in Edmonton, meaning the offence could have won it if the guy had caught the ball in the end zone.  That's great, but there were three other quarters in that game, and the defence couldn't make a stop to save their lives. 

Similarly, "best game on D" takes on more meaning when you remember that we've given up 30+ points in all 6 games this year.

Lennywasout

There was also parts of the interview that eluded to other coaches/personnel positioning for promotion/more responsibility....whispering in the background.....does not sound like a well run organization.  His comments were very positive about Mitchell and Young.  Not one word about Austin...positive or negative.
I'm starting to believe Austin is the issue....never a mention anywhere about players wanting to play for him.  Maybe the Collaros shouting at Austin was an indication of deep trouble (that they both publicly denied).  
I hope not but where there's smoke there's fire.

Count Floyd

You always have to be leery of a fired employee's take on the situation.  He did seem to insinuate that Lolley may have been after his job.  He said that the HC is an offensive guy, so he wouldn't make changes on that side of the ball.  I don't think that's true.  The offense has improved, the defence has only shown marginal improvement at best.

His comment that there was no discussion of what he was doing wrong before he was let go is disingenuous, imo.  It tells me that Austin had complete trust in him running the defence, so he let Reinebold do it as he thought best.  If Jeff couldn't see that we couldn't stop the opposition on key drives, or make adjustments to prevent the ridiculous yardage & points we gave up, then he was the wrong guy to be our DC.

Palmer

Been on vacation, having trouble connecting, haven't read all the posts.  My two cents - the defence has been terrible in every aspect.  Cannot stop the run, cannot stop the pass, every QB seemingly has career stats against us, "nobody" running backs and second and third string receivers are having all-star type games.  Somebody is responsible, somebody has to be accountable.  Can't fire 12 players, can fire one coach.  Jeff Reinebold may be the nicest guy since Jesus himself, but his defence stunk.  Sorry to say it, but Reinebold was not cutting it, and had to go.  Feel bad if you must, but, as Leo Deroucher is supposed to have said, "nice guys finish last", and that is where Jeff's defence has put us.

Dump on the O-line, the play calls, on Zach and the receivers if you like, but if they are sitting on the side-lines for 40 minutes, it is awfully hard to score.  Being a good ST coach does not necessarily make you an adequate DC.  The proof is in the pudding.  Just an opinion.

ottawacat

"Guys with an agenda" is what stood out to me in Reinebold's comments.  
I'd say there's some dysfunction in the organization when Jeff was told by the head of everything football that's he's being relieved of his coaching duties and yet it's hoped he'll stay with organization.  And, then the next step is to meet with the C.E.O.  That would only make "functional" sense, to me, if the new position, being thought of, for the coach now without a position, is something that wouldn't fall under the Football Operations banner.  As ST Coordinator, he signed a contract extension early last summer for 2017. I'd expect his sharp agent would have got him another year on his DC contract.  Thanks FenderGuy69 for sharing the link to Jeff's side of the story.   

Mark

Also re-stated by Dr. Lawrence Peter (the creator of the principal) in this way, "The cream rises until it sours."  I think it's happened to ME in the past.

There is no shame with Jeff's outcome in Hamilton.

As I heard someone say recently "you succeed or you learn"
I agree. I guess that it wasn't clear that I was just commenting on the Peter Principle and the way that is often applied in football. Please note that I DID include myself in a rueful manner.
There are many reasons why the defense was poor this year. Coaching may have been one but I am not competent to comment on that.

seamack3

Dump on the O-line, the play calls, on Zach and the receivers if you like, but if they are sitting on the side-lines for 40 minutes, it is awfully hard to score. 
Neither defense nor offense is doing their part on this team.  If Zach was doing the job for which he is top-paid to do, the defense wouldn't be on the field so much.  If the Ticats utilized a production run game, this would go far in achieving 1st downs while chewing up the clock and allowing the defense time to breathe on the sidelines.  Works both ways.  Simply put, Kent's unwavering loyalty to this QB is a heavy burden that is unlikely to resolve itself unless the player picks up his game and fast.

Users Online

137 Guests, 20 Users (12 Spiders, 4 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mightygoose, DavidThompson, catsteelers2002, tabbiefanmcb, tcmike, Taleback, Oskie18, raymarkca, ExPat, Lyle B. Style, cheater, jim43bob, rcon, PTBO Dave, heapbag, ed ohmnes, Google (11), Baidu

Most Online Today: 213. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)