okie

-Jalen Rogers started at halfback.

-Branden Dozier was the 4th linebacker in the 3-4.  Nicolas Boulay never played on defense.

-Jesse Joseph started at DE.

-Frederic Plesius again lined up a few times as a DE.

-Als called a timeout when the Argos were in punt formation for fear of too many men penalty.  On that play (other than Stefan Logan), the punt return unit consisted of the starting defensive unit.  The too many penalty penalty the Als took right before halftime seemed to have the regular return team.

-Matt Vonk came in after Philippe Gagnon went out in the 1st quarter and could not be hidden as even the announcers noticed his struggles.

-With Gagnon out, Chris Greaves had to come in when the team used a 6 lineman formation.

-Gabriel Knapton only entered the game late in the 1st quarter along with Don Oramasionwu who himself has not seen action on defense for the last few games.

-When JC Beaulieu was hurt on the 1st play in the 2nd quarter, Oumar Touré  took his place.  Later in the drive, Shawn Lemon went right by him and pressured Darian Durant into an incomplete.  A seemingly promising drive eventually ended in a Boris Bede missed field goal and only 1 point.

-Jesse Joseph got fooled badly on a fake handoff by Jeff Mathews but made it up on the next play with tackle in the backfield.

-On one play, Ernest Jackson sense a blitz and stayed to block.  Great, but he completely missed seeing two guys coming off the edge.  Luckily, the Argos were offside.

-Als often tried to isolate Jackson as the only receiver on one side.  He also sometimes lined up as a slotback.

-Jean-Samuel Blanc came in midway through through the 2nd quarter and lined up as a DE.

-Hard to tell what the intention was because there were too many bodies around, but Marcus Ball used a punching motion at Tyrell Sutton after an attempted strip.

-In the 2nd half, there was one 4-3 defense scheme employed by Noel Thorpe where Ray Drew and Gabriel Knapton were the ends and Jesse Joseph and Don Oramasionwu were the tackles.  However, Jesse Joseph eventually dropped back to play linebacker and Chip Cox was the 4th rusher.  On that 1st down play, Cody Fajardo ran just over 10 yards for a first down.

-When Ray Drew was injured late in the game, Gabriel Knapton lined up at tackle.

-Noel Thorpe had Jesse Joseph drop back as a linebacker again on the Argo touchdown play that was called back for holding.

As for the game as a whole, there were those familiar times where the Als were shooting themselves in the foot again.  Argos could very well have won if there offense were half decent.

HfxTC

Good job spotting a lot of the issues this team had last night. Also noticed that Nick Lewis is being used less and less.
I didn't see anything great in that game. Offense struggling, lots of penalties. Same old, same old.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

jkm

Good W last night.  A W is a W, right?  It would have been quite different with Ray calling the plays. We'll see what happens next week.

Not impressed with the East this year - it appears to be a race to the bottom.

With the W, the Als are still in the thick of things, and Durant and co. seem to be getting into a bit of a groove.

Still not happy about trading Woods and Green away, but that's how things go with the CFL, salary caps....etc.

So, I hope the Als continue to improve and have a better W-L record.

mike2579

Had to of been one of the most boring games i have ever attended and i have been to many. I remember when the stadium was full to the max and if a fat guy came to sit next to you, you were in trouble. Pretty sad i was able to fit a family and friends of 10 ppl in a row at 100$ a seat when i had end zone seats. 
Proud Montreal Alouette season ticket holder since 2004. Former Section C2 Row 9, but got tired of missing circus catches in the endzone cuz of a stupid wall! New section M1 row 11!! Few steps away from the mens room!

idealsheldon

Main issue coming out of this game is all the injuries suffered:

- Gagnon (he seemed to be walking pretty freely after the game but had a brace on his leg.) As has been mentioned, Vonk as a replacement has been a huge issue.

- Tyree Hollins ( helped off the field on the Argos last drive with the trainers holding his wrist, usually the sign of a serious arm or shoulder injury.)

- Shologan

- Plessius

Thought Trestman made a huge error in the 4th quarter, down 21-6, 3rd and 3 from the Als 30. Instead of going for it he kicked a field goal making the score 21-9, but the Argos still needed 2 scores.

Ernest Jackson out performed SJ Green, who obviously did not have Ricky Ray. I expected more from Cody Fajardo who seemed to have issues reading defenses. He would take a quick look downfield and then just take off running. Not very Trestman like. And SJ seemed frustrated on the sidelines.

Thorpe with all his player shuffling certainly had me confused, hopefully the Argos were also. Not sure why he would use Jean-Samuel Blanc at DE.

I am certainly not impressed with Special Teams coach Bruce Read. How about we consider Jeff Reinbold in the off-season?

Andrew Wetenhall and family were there, did not see Mr. Wetenhall. Andrew went around to the coaches before the game shaking hands wishing them luck. Bruce Read didn`t seem to know who he was.

Okay, what about the game itself? Well a win is a win and we`re in first place. But as Nik Lewis said after the game, "We played like crap." You see a lot of good things offensively, but not on a consistent basis.
I`m not always right, I just think I am.

tony

Kyries deserved the penalty, helmet-to-helmet, but what about the Argo that what nuts after the play
You mean Whitaker?

tony

Kyries deserved the penalty, helmet-to-helmet, but what about the Argo that what nuts after the play
Agree 100% about Hebert deserving the penalty. Matthews was almost out of bounds when he pulled that bone head hit.
Hebert brings it game in and game out. But that was a bonehead hit.

tony

-Jalen Rogers started at halfback.

-Branden Dozier was the 4th linebacker in the 3-4.  Nicolas Boulay never played on defense.

-Jesse Joseph started at DE.

-Frederic Plesius again lined up a few times as a DE.

-Als called a timeout when the Argos were in punt formation for fear of too many men penalty.  On that play (other than Stefan Logan), the punt return unit consisted of the starting defensive unit.  The too many penalty penalty the Als took right before halftime seemed to have the regular return team.

-Matt Vonk came in after Philippe Gagnon went out in the 1st quarter and could not be hidden as even the announcers noticed his struggles.

-With Gagnon out, Chris Greaves had to come in when the team used a 6 lineman formation.

-Gabriel Knapton only entered the game late in the 1st quarter along with Don Oramasionwu who himself has not seen action on defense for the last few games.

-When JC Beaulieu was hurt on the 1st play in the 2nd quarter, Oumar Touré  took his place.  Later in the drive, Shawn Lemon went right by him and pressured Darian Durant into an incomplete.  A seemingly promising drive eventually ended in a Boris Bede missed field goal and only 1 point.

-Jesse Joseph got fooled badly on a fake handoff by Jeff Mathews but made it up on the next play with tackle in the backfield.

-On one play, Ernest Jackson sense a blitz and stayed to block.  Great, but he completely missed seeing two guys coming off the edge.  Luckily, the Argos were offside.

-Als often tried to isolate Jackson as the only receiver on one side.  He also sometimes lined up as a slotback.

-Jean-Samuel Blanc came in midway through through the 2nd quarter and lined up as a DE.

-Hard to tell what the intention was because there were too many bodies around, but Marcus Ball used a punching motion at Tyrell Sutton after an attempted strip.

-In the 2nd half, there was one 4-3 defense scheme employed by Noel Thorpe where Ray Drew and Gabriel Knapton were the ends and Jesse Joseph and Don Oramasionwu were the tackles.  However, Jesse Joseph eventually dropped back to play linebacker and Chip Cox was the 4th rusher.  On that 1st down play, Cody Fajardo ran just over 10 yards for a first down.

-When Ray Drew was injured late in the game, Gabriel Knapton lined up at tackle.

-Noel Thorpe had Jesse Joseph drop back as a linebacker again on the Argo touchdown play that was called back for holding.

As for the game as a whole, there were those familiar times where the Als were shooting themselves in the foot again.  Argos could very well have won if there offense were half decent.
Argos could have won had they not had the costly penalties.
Als had them too. A common theme game after game, year after year it seems.

Not to mention, not being able to put the ball in the end zone when they were in the red zone.

A W is a W I suppose. But there is allot to work on from what I saw.

nguyenMTL

Main issue coming out of this game is all the injuries suffered:

- Gagnon (he seemed to be walking pretty freely after the game but had a brace on his leg.) As has been mentioned, Vonk as a replacement has been a huge issue.

- Tyree Hollins ( helped off the field on the Argos last drive with the trainers holding his wrist, usually the sign of a serious arm or shoulder injury.)

- Shologan

- Plessius

Thought Trestman made a huge error in the 4th quarter, down 21-6, 3rd and 3 from the Als 30. Instead of going for it he kicked a field goal making the score 21-9, but the Argos still needed 2 scores.

Ernest Jackson out performed SJ Green, who obviously did not have Ricky Ray. I expected more from Cody Fajardo who seemed to have issues reading defenses. He would take a quick look downfield and then just take off running. Not very Trestman like. And SJ seemed frustrated on the sidelines.

Thorpe with all his player shuffling certainly had me confused, hopefully the Argos were also. Not sure why he would use Jean-Samuel Blanc at DE.

I am certainly not impressed with Special Teams coach Bruce Read. How about we consider Jeff Reinbold in the off-season?

Andrew Wetenhall and family were there, did not see Mr. Wetenhall. Andrew went around to the coaches before the game shaking hands wishing them luck. Bruce Read didn`t seem to know who he was.

Okay, what about the game itself? Well a win is a win and we`re in first place. But as Nik Lewis said after the game, "We played like crap." You see a lot of good things offensively, but not on a consistent basis.
It is likely that Gagnon, Shologan, Plesius and Pierzchalski are all going to miss the next game in Toronto, according to Eric Leblanc.

As for J-S Blanc, he used to play as a DE at Universite de Montreal, where in his 1st year in 2012, Noel Thorpe was the Carabins' DC.

I agree with you with the rest, although in the 2nd half, we seem to have issues with our run offense, as Tyrell Sutton couldn't do anything, and with our run defense, as Brandon Whitaker continuously had 8+ yards carries.

RichardVeilleux

May not have been a great game, but we won. Only thing that matters to me. Two weeks ago,they had 531 yards of offence and scored 40 points against Winnipeg, but they lost 41-40. Worth nothing!

Some may seem to forget that we had many injuries to Nat. players,which did not help. Injuries to Gagnon and Beaulieu did hurt the most. I doubt that Gagnon will be available for next game. Will Sean Jamieson be added to roster from practice roster? Could the Als play with 3 Int. OL? Olayiofe,Simmoms and Lewis- Always a possibility.

Nat. WR Alex PIa,,,, should be away for a few games. Could Kyle Graves,released by the Argos, or Stephen Adekolu,released by BC, be considered? I would go for Adekolu.

Richard

HfxTC

Agree 100% about Hebert deserving the penalty. Matthews was almost out of bounds when he pulled that bone head hit.
Ky deserved the penalty because he led with the crown of his helmet. But I see dozens of these types of hits in every game, especially on RB and Special teams. The QB was 8 yards passed the line of scrimmage e and trying to gete to the first down marker. He was not heading out of bounds, he was fair gamee and hit inbounds. Ky's mistake was leading with this head.

HfxTC

May not have been a great game, but we won. Only thing that matters to me. Two weeks ago,they had 531 yards of offence and scored 40 points against Winnipeg, but they lost 41-40. Worth nothing!

Some may seem to forget that we had many injuries to Nat. players,which did not help. Injuries to Gagnon and Beaulieu did hurt the most. I doubt that Gagnon will be available for next game. Will Sean Jamieson be added to roster from practice roster? Could the Als play with 3 Int. OL? Olayiofe,Simmoms and Lewis- Always a possibility.

Nat. WR Alex PIa,,,, should be away for a few games. Could Kyle Graves,released by the Argos, or Stephen Adekolu,released by BC, be considered? I would go for Adekolu.

Richard
Yeah, a win is a win...
They took a step back on offense probably because we are now down two Canadian OL. Hard to make an offense go with slugs like Vonk and Greaves.

They will need to play better thhan this next week in Toronto to win. Bede missing a chip shot, still lots of dumb penalties, dropped balls.

tony

Ky deserved the penalty because he led with the crown of his helmet. But I see dozens of these types of hits in every game, especially on RB and Special teams. The QB was 8 yards passed the line of scrimmage e and trying to gete to the first down marker. He was not heading out of bounds, he was fair gamee and hit inbounds. Ky's mistake was leading with this head.
Sorry HfxTC, I disagree on this one. Yes Matthews was 8 yards past the line. But from what I saw headed for the sideline before Hebert took the liberty of leading with his helmet. He could have just as easily led into his body.

idealsheldon

One other sidelight to last night`s game, the Als holding Martese Jackson in check on returns.

Jackson had a 6.2 average on punt returns, Logan 8.8. Actually not great for either of them.

Both had a 27 yd. average on kickoff returns. 

Johnny Ticat slayer

As they say, a win is a win. Johnny wasn't able to see the game, but from what you guys, and Nik Lewis have been saying, the Als did not play well.  

Johnny is looking for a win himself. It's probably inappropriate to mention this here, and Johnny does not want to make this all about him (ironic from a guy who speaks in the 3rd person!). But Johnny is dealing, and has been dealing with tenacious health issues. 

Johnny will likely not be posting on the forums as much in the near future. Might also miss watching some games. Johnny will rely on reading the posts of the knowledgeable members of this forum, to get the pulse of the team. Much better than reading Herb!   :P

Although Johnny might not write as much, he will nonetheless try to read the forums on a daily basis. 

Now don't anyone take it easy on Johnny just because he's not 100%! 

"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

Users Online

81 Guests, 8 Users (12 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Niagara Als, FootbalYouBet, jonny24eh, Mightygoose, alphamale111, KevinRiley2, ArgoT, Yahoo!, Google (11)

Most Online Today: 161. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)