HfxTC

Quote from: "RichardVeilleux"
Int. DT Ray Drew could play,but the Als could not play 4 Int. WR at the same time; if they do, the Int. RB would have to come out.

If Drew was in, the 7 Nat. starters would be: 3 OL, 1 FB, 1WR, 1 DL and 1 S/DB.

Since they don't have confidence in their Nat. WR's, Drew won't play; he could once Samuel Giguère returns.

Richard

They can go to a 3-4, Rotate Shologan and Westerman and slot in Boulay as a 4th. LB.
They aren't getting any pressure anyway....This way they can demand more from the DT duo by cutting their reps down and can at least use a LB blitz on occasion.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

idealsheldon

And let`s face it, we have no way of knowing if Ray Drew is an elite DT. We can hope, but at this point we really don`t know.

The more I watch other CFL games, the more I see how inferior we are to the elite teams at certain position groups - d-line, receivers, o-line, RBs.
I`m not always right, I just think I am.

tony

Quote from: "idealsheldon"

The more I watch other CFL games, the more I see how inferior we are to the elite teams at certain position groups - d-line, receivers, o-line, RBs.

Just missing a couple other areas and that would be pretty much all facets of the team.

idealsheldon

Quote from: "tony"

Just missing a couple other areas and that would be pretty much all facets of the team.

I think our cheerleaders can hold their own. :D

But to be serious, the personnel issues started with Popp the Head Coach neglecting his GM duties the last couple of years. It will probably take another season of recruiting, free agency, drafting to improve matters. The unknown question is if Reed and Mack are the right guys to do it.

tony

I think our cheerleaders can hold their own. :D

But to be serious, the personnel issues started with Popp the Head Coach neglecting his GM duties the last couple of years. It will probably take another season of recruiting, free agency, drafting to improve matters. The unknown question is if Reed and Mack are the right guys to do it.

Thanks for the laugh re the Cheerleaders!

While you may be correct re Popp. I still did not like the fact that Reed let both Green and Woods go.
I am also not sold on having signed Durant for the contract he was given by Reed.
And I am not sold on Chaps being the HC.

The saving grace for the Als right now is how poorly the Cats have played. And that the d for the RB has been poor.

RichardVeilleux

I definitely don't agree with you,Sheldon, when you write that we are inferior to other teams in the o-line and RBs. Explain to me why they are the number 1 team in running the ball and the team with less sacks allowed.

I agree 100% regarding the DL; it's the main weakness. After 5 weeks, 4 players of other teams have more sacks than the Als; these players are: Victor Butler of Toronto with 7, Charleston Hughes and Micah Johnson both of Calgary with 4 and Ted Laurent of Hamilton with 4. The Als have a total of 3. This weakness will have to be addressed sooner than later. I still maintain that an Int. DT has to replace a Nat. DT. I don't know if Ray Drew is the answer but it can't be worse.

The receivers are not great but it's not a major weakness; I doubt that playing with 1 less Int. receiver will weaken the team; while 4 Int. receivers have dressed for the first 5 games, the Als rank next to last in average yards gained per game with 279; only Hamilton is doing worse with 260.

While Kavis has to accept some blame, the number 1 culprit is JIM POPP. He has been awful in drafting Nat. talent in the past 3 to 4 years and just as bad in recruiting Int. talent; the only exception can be the Int. DBs.. Excluding the Nat. OL all other CFL teams have 1 or 2 dominant Nat. players; the Als don't and it's a major problem.

I surely hope that they will find solutions/bring corrections in the next weeks or month.

Richard

tony

How about the QB INT stat in which Durant leads the league with 6.
The Top three QB's, Harris, Ray and Mitchell have 3.

Alouettes have only 1 receiver in the top 10 for receiving yards, Cunningham.
Jackson is 13th.
Ottawa, BC and TO have 2 each.

Logan ranks 5th in yards on ST.

Als have Mincy with 1 INT.

idealsheldon

Sutton is a decent power back off tackle (but not as good as Messam, Harris, Johnson , or probably even Wilder), but has no breakaway ability or quickness like a Powell, Madu, Scheuerman, Rainey. I would take any of these guys over Sutton. As for Rutley, I have no idea why he`s still around.

What bothers me about the o-line is the lack of push from LBJ, Matte, Blake. Team can never seem to gain yards up the middle. And while there have been few sacks, there has been lots of pressure, leading to Durant making the interceptions that have hurt the team.

But yeah the d-line might be the biggest problem. Besides the DTs, Bowman and Knapton have been invisible.

But this is the Als-Wpg. thread, so let`s hope they all make me eat my words tomorrow!

RichardVeilleux

Not tomorrow,Sheldon, but Thursday. Ha!Ha!

According to Eric Leblanc Int. DT Ray Drew will play. If so, which Int. player will be out? I say Int. DB Jalen Rogers.

Richard

idealsheldon

While Kavis has to accept some blame, the number 1 culprit is JIM POPP. He has been awful in drafting Nat. talent in the past 3 to 4 years and just as bad in recruiting Int. talent; the only exception can be the Int. DBs.. Excluding the Nat. OL all other CFL teams have 1 or 2 dominant Nat. players; the Als don't and it's a major problem.

Richard

And while Deslauriers seemed to have put a lot of work into the draft, how confident should we feel about the future when DT Oramasionwu is dressing instead of our No. 1 draft choice and a guy a lot easier to spell - Foote.

idealsheldon

Not tomorrow,Sheldon, but Thursday. Ha!Ha!

According to Eric Leblanc Int. DT Ray Drew will play. If so, which Int. player will be out? I say Int. DB Jalen Rogers.

Richard

You`re right Richard. Tomorrow I`m going to Seinfeld at the Bell Centre. Hopefully the Als won`t be as funny as him on Thursday.

And speaking of Eric Leblanc, he is an amazing reporter the way he can go from the Als to the Impact to the Habs and write so intelligently.

RichardVeilleux

Should Ray Drew play Thursday, I expect that Nat. Don Oramasionwu will be a healthy scratch.

Richard

mike2579

Guys i am not off my meds, but i think we win this game. We usually have somewhat success in Winnipeg. Only beatings I remember is ac getting intercepted 9 times in the first quarter and swagerville was up and running like nwa.
Proud Montreal Alouette season ticket holder since 2004. Former Section C2 Row 9, but got tired of missing circus catches in the endzone cuz of a stupid wall! New section M1 row 11!! Few steps away from the mens room!

GHT120

[... I still did not like the fact that Reed let both Green and Woods go ...
I cannot say that the Als seem to have missed Woods .... and hardly shocking that he left last night's game with an injury.
As for Green, wonder how much he is making in TO?  If less than his Als contract, wonder if he would have been cut if he took the pay cut.
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

okie

How are the Als going to fit Ray Drew in ratio-wise when Geno Lewis is supposed to be in the starting lineup?  Can Drew or Jabar Westerman play the occasional DE???  Are the Als going with 2 non-import DB's or LB's???  Start a non-import at the RT???  That begs the question whether the team is better off or not with this change.

Users Online

74 Guests, 3 Users (16 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
FootbalYouBet, Bayargonaut00, ExPat, Yahoo!, Google (15)

Most Online Today: 109. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)