tony

Quote from: "GHT120"
Not to be the eternal optimist ....... I had concerns about the team entering the season and still do ....... but their worst loss (in terms of point spread) was just 7 points to a pretty good BC team and one of their wins was against an even better Calgary team.

Many expected the Als to be 2-4, or 1-5, but doubt many expect them to only be -9 (in points for - points against) with that record.  They have as much or more been beating themselves than getting beaten.  I almost wish they got thumped in at least a couple of loses so that Adams or Harris could get some reps ....... would like the Als to, each game, prepare a 6-8 play series for Adams to run to give the opponents D a change-of-pace.  

Durant has had serious issues, but has also made some big plays.  Many of his mistakes were clearly (IMO) his trying too hard to make something happen; forcing throws that weren't there ....... Winnipeg was a pretty decent game, and his interception was, for a change, on one heck of a defensive play/scheme and not purely a bad choice.  QBs always need some time to settle in to a new offence and team, so I choose to not give up on DD yet, while also not assuming he will be the East all-star ..... and succession planning for him is still a mystery.

Overall, I've enjoyed these games more than most since AC went down for the last time.  Still have issues with
golf-shirt's defensive schemes but thus far his defence is amongst the best in the league; Eskies and Stamps have 121 against in 5 games and Als 150 in 6 equates to 125 in 5 (was actually 109 after 5).  Hate to say it, but I would like to see Cox gone; find it tough to watch him at DB and our young LBs seem solid enough.  DL badly needs to improve, especially DTs, but that has been true for at least a couple of seasons.  Ackie has been a very pleasant surprise.

I reserve judgment.

Reality is they squeaked a win over the Riders. But a win is a win. So they sit 2-4.
Should have, could have ... been at least 3-3.

Glaring issues for me :  Durant's INT's.; costly penalties, play calling both sides of the ball.

Can this change. Hopefully yes.
Convinced that Chaps can get it done? Convinced that Reed can get it done?  Will have to do a better job second quarter of the season.

The good news is they have the Cats in the division and overall the east is weak. So anything can happen.

HfxTC

But to avoid a crossover, you have to beat middling teams like Winnipeg and Ottawa. Als are 0-2, they drop the next two against Toronto and we have the same crap situation as last season.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

tony

Quote from: "HfxTC"
But to avoid a crossover, you have to beat middling teams like Winnipeg and Ottawa. Als are 0-2, they drop the next two against Toronto and we have the same crap situation as last season.

Good point.

jamie

interesting.
I see a completely different Als team than is generally reflected here.

They are increasing yards per game exponentially.
Jackson has been VG the last 3
Durant is so much better than anyone at QB for Als in the past 4 years it's shocking
Offense so much more explosive.
IMO...they could EASILY win the East.
Discipline is better overall. Cox is Cox.
O-line is superb
Rutley had a great game. Sutton will be a monster  after a break.

Outside of a common problem of prevent defense they played almost a perfect road game for 59 minutes.

IMO..They are SO much stronger than last year it seems inconceivable to me that comparisons are even being made.

tony

Quote from: "jamie"
interesting.

Durant is so much better than anyone at QB for Als in the past 4 years it's shocking
O-line is superb

Outside of a common problem of prevent defense they played almost a perfect road game for 59 minutes.

IMO..They are SO much stronger than last year it seems inconceivable to me that comparisons are even being made.

Offense has been more explosive over the last couple of games. Certainly did not come out that way the first couple.
Discipline is better?  Costly penalties still an issue so far.
Yes O line was superb until the game against the Bombers.
Rutley had a great game?
58 minutes actually as they were leading by 12. Then they self destructed.  A game is 60 minutes.

GHT120

Quote from: "tony"
Offense has been more explosive over the last couple of games. Certainly did not come out that way the first couple.
Not necessarily a surprise with a new QB, revamped OL, couple of new receivers
Stupid, selfish penalties are most definitely a problem.
Als did a HORRIBLE job of in-game replacing an injured starter.  Do the back-ups need to be upgraded or might it be a matter of over-focusing on developing cohesion with the new OL combo and not prepping the backups sufficiently?
Rutley had a great game?
Surprisingly good.  A fluke or able to perform better behing this OL and whatever tweaks were made to the running game?
58 minutes actually as they were leading by 12. Then they self destructed.  A game is 60 minutes.
SIGH
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

HfxTC

interesting.

O-line is superb

Rutley had a great game?

"You are your record"...

jamie

Quote from: "HfxTC"
interesting.

O-line is superb

Rutley had a great game?

"You are your record"...

You also are how you play.

nguyenMTL

I don't think Rutley was particularly good against Winnipeg. The thing I noticed was that Winnipeg's run defense is weak on the perimeters, and it allowed 20+ yards carries for Rutley, Logan and even Beaulieu.

What we need to do though is to be mentally ready for 60+ minutes. Chap admitted today on an interview that the team spaced out in the 90+ seconds.

HfxTC

You also are how you play.

The record reflects the lack of discipline and the poor decision making. Their play is why their record is the way it is.

All those stupid penalties mostly on offense, the early turnovers at midfield, the poor personnel decisions add up to losses.

Can they fix it and become a good football team? Yes.

cividan

I do not blame the referee for this lost either, a couple plays well executed could have made the difference in this game..

Here are a few...

#1- 1st and goal at the 1 yard line, you try to push your way in with Rutley instead of going around... someone tell chap that Rutley is not Sutton, he's a small fast elusive guy, not a bowling bowl pushing style RB, yet the call was to try to go straight in the middle same as it was tried last week that cost us the game and not only he call that play once but he call it twice, result is lost of 2 yard and a FG. That's 4 points (3 in case of a missed convert) left on the field.

#2 Logan run a nice route with approx 2m20 left on the clock, he gets the first down then run out of bound to avoid getting hit instead of just "sliding down" while inbound, result the clock is stopped and we can't spend another 16-18 sec on the clock... That alone would have changed the game as the Boombers would have ran out of time to score the final TD.

#3 In the final minute, Chis Ackie has a straight line to the QB for a sack and decide to go "head first" there was no one between him and the QB so if he just hit him with his shoulder there is no possible RTP flag...

#4 The whole special team squad wait for the ball to arrive instead of rushing for it, result is a successfull short kick, how many times in the league do we see a "successfull" short kick... to my memory not often

#5 The loosy bend bend bend and flag football defence style that was play on the 2nd last scoring drive from the bombers, I understand you don't want to give them homerun but it makes no difference if they still score in the end...

#6 The stupid multiple player rotation done by the loosy DC in the 3rd quarter that make the player run across the whole field to get in or out of the turf repeatedly that makes them spend more energy to run back to the bench that what they would spend staying on the turf...

IMHO this is a deserved team lost, for all these mistake. For once the offence shows up and score 40 points but the defence find a way to allow more point. Look at how often we stop the other team on defence and how often it's because of the other team doing a mistake and not because of a great play on our side... this is happening since the beginning of the season the other team have the intended receiver alone, the right play is there and the ball slip the receiver hand or is underthrown... The 2 victory we have have not been victory it's been the other team losing the game. Sask missed a completable FG on the last play... Calgary took us lightly and made multiple mental mistake all over the game and were close to win the game anyway so this team doesn't deserve to win with the way it's playing. Even if some bad call were made by the official it was not these call that made the lost happen...

Edit: I had to create a new account because this damn forum reset password doesn't work...
The ugly forum upgrade at least fixed the reset password link :) so I got my account back
#AlsMTL

nguyenMTL

I didn't know where to put it, but safety Chris Ackie has underwent surgery
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXWUu8zDvXs/?taken-by=chrisackie21

RichardVeilleux

The injury to Chris Ackie is a major loss. The Als don't have too many Nat. players available.

I presume that Dondre Wright will become the regular safety.

With the Argos loss, the next 2 games against the Argos will be crucial. They-Als- can't lose both these games.

Richard

nguyenMTL

Let's hope that Dominique Termansen is ready to go against Toronto

Niagara Als

The WPeg game is on You Tube and, has no commercials. Watched all but the final moments and, offensively I believe we'll be better as this season progresses. Toronto Star Sports has Durant listed as the fifth ranked QB in the CFL.

Users Online

98 Guests, 1 User (21 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
toddstattoo, Yahoo!, Google (20)

Most Online Today: 149. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)