Grover

Now can the League award the TiCats the 2014 Grey Cup for that blown call?  :wink:

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

KevinRiley2

Good Lord...

I would not apologize. She is NOT going to want anything but the $1,000,000.  Apologizing will only make it worse.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

idealsheldon

Not mentioned is that the official who made the call has agreed to do all laundry and housework for Karen for 1 year.
I`m not always right, I just think I am.

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "idealsheldon"
Not mentioned is that the official who made the call has agreed to do all laundry and housework for Karen for 1 year.
It's a mess.  Nothing makes this better, except giving her the $1,000,000, and THAT is not going to happen.

Mightygoose

This is the best move for all parties involved.

A free years worth of groceries, a VIP trip to the Grey Cup and Bombers season tickets for the rest of this and next season.

I know the haters will say 'not enough' and 'bush league' but the precedent of just giving her the million is not worth it in the long run.

I didn't like the call in the field myself but it stands and the Argos shouldn't get a bonus point in the standings either over this. No way they'll throw the offical under the bus in public over this.

Stampeder67

Get rid of the contest. Will not work in Today's game, too many variables such as horrible reffing. I know people are making jokes about this but its not quite as funny as it may seem.

Maybe in the future the CFL can limit TD returns being called back "if" the infraction did not in any way effect the return by allowing the TD to stand and just tack the offending yardage on to the kick off.  This rule would likely only work for the kicking game. Far too often a great return is wiped out by some crap call on the other side of the field.  And while I understand the thought process that goes through the mind of an official in the heat of the moment by throwing a flag on a penalty despite it having no effect on the play its still what they are trained to do.

A review afterwards could determine whether or not it would have changed the outcome of the return. If yes then apply the penalty, if no then apply the yardage to the ensuing kickoff  and let the outstanding play stand.

prairiewolf77

Its a nice gesture, but I don't agree.

She already won a $25k home entertainment package.

The call could have gone either way. It was not 100% certain.

It was not called a touchdown in the game.

Lets say he scored the touchdown and there was no call. And they give the money to her.
However, a safeway rep while watching the game, sees a blatant penalty that is missed, can Safeway come back and refuse to payout due to the missed penalty.

Anyways, not my money and congrats to her for getting season tickets, grey cup tickets and groceries for a year.

CatsFaninOttawa

Quote from: "KevinRiley2"
Good Lord...

I would not apologize. She is NOT going to want anything but the $1,000,000.  Apologizing will only make it worse.
I didn't see an apology here.

Personally I see this as almost an admission by the league that the official made the wrong call without actually coming out and saying it. And some serious damage control by Safeway. But there's no way that the insurance company is going to pay this one out, and the league and Safeway can't afford to pay it out themselves.

Or is it simply a pre-emptive offer of settlement in an attempt to avoid a lawsuit?

raymarkca

#whataboutkaren
Life is blog, or maybe it is like a box of chocolates.  Exercise your mind as well as your body.
Warning subject matter may require thinking outside the box.
Visit
http://www.raymark.ca

ro1313

If you heard the phone call between her and the TSN panel last night

She said she never thought she won
She thought she was eligible to win million, like there would be another draw from all the names through out the season

Her husband explained it to her just as the flag was thrown

She is not disappointed because she never felt she had won

Don't make it right
Don't make it wrong

Just how it is

Mightygoose

Quote from: "CatsFaninOttawa"
Good Lord...

Personally I see this as almost an admission by the league that the official made the wrong call without actually coming out and saying it. And some serious damage control by Safeway. But there's no way that the insurance company is going to pay this one out, and the league and Safeway can't afford to pay it out themselves.

Or is it simply a pre-emptive offer of settlement in an attempt to avoid a lawsuit?

I see it as a pure PR move by both the league and Safeway - the power of social media

I don't see how she has any legal grounds as it was never ruled a touchdown to begin with and referee errors are part of the game in any sport.

Otherwise, teams can sue leagues when official errors cost their teams championships, playoff berths etc...

Abendschan

Good Lord...

Penalty was a judgement call on what the Ref seen in the moment when it happened. A lawsuit, NOT! The wrong call is just a bunch of BS. Unfortunate for sure, but as for Karen :thup:

The fallout from the whole thing is great atmosphere indeed.
Empire Stadium 1970 - Jack Abendschan autograph

Grover

She just got 500K airmiles  :rockin:

AIR MILES Canada?Verified account
@AIRMILES

#WhatAboutKaren? We're making sure she celebrates a touchdown of her own with 500,000 Miles!

ro1313

Good Lord...

Right or wrong there was no TD scored

The ref made a judgement call.  I don't agree with it but I can see why he though it was a penalty

She cannot sue the league or safeway or the ref any more than a player could for a bad call costing him bonus money

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "Stampeder67"
Get rid of the contest. Will not work in Today's game, too many variables such as horrible reffing. I know people are making jokes about this but its not quite as funny as it may seem.
Yes!

Users Online

122 Guests, 12 Users (6 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
dcmoses, GOTC1, Espo, cheater, DavidC, KevinRiley2, Grover, Chewbaca1973, raymarkca, ed ohmnes, Yahoo!, Google (4), Alexa

Most Online Today: 196. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)