cflisthebest

Now I don't mean changes to the game or plays, rule changes.


I mean how do you maintain and increase the younger audience numbers?

Let's come up with some valid ideas..  

Can we get more interactive media involved?


I was thinking a live app for your phone or tablet where you can instantly go and replay the last plays and have different angles to watch it from.   And at the same time have up to date stats on players and teams within seconds of the play.

And you can do this both at home and at the game.

Teams provide free WiFi, good WiFi too.

 
Who else?
A Proud member of the Rider Nation!

rcon

Quote from: "cflisthebest"
Now I don't mean changes to the game or plays, rule changes.


I mean how do you maintain and increase the younger audience numbers?

Let's come up with some valid ideas..  

Can we get more interactive media involved?


I was thinking a live app for your phone or tablet where you can instantly go and replay the last plays and have different angles to watch it from.   And at the same time have up to date stats on players and teams within seconds of the play.

And you can do this both at home and at the game.

Teams provide free WiFi, good WiFi too.

 
Who else?

Hard to improve on attendance numbers for tonight (near sell-out) and 2 games tomorrow (both will be sold-out)!

cflisthebest

But what are your ideas?

Xvys

- Seed the 50/50 Draws with $100,000 to get the ball rolling
- Reduce food and drink prices to match local restaurants
- Kids tickets half-price in stadiums with excess capacity
- Widely publicize the date and time of next home game
- Create engaging "story line" leading up to every home game
- Mardi Gras style "bead night" section
- Blackout local TV if less than 20,000 tickets sold

depopulationINC

Quote from: "Xvys"
- Seed the 50/50 Draws with $100,000 to get the ball rolling
- Reduce food and drink prices to match local restaurants
- Kids tickets half-price in stadiums with excess capacity
- Widely publicize the date and time of next home game
- Create engaging "story line" leading up to every home game
- Mardi Gras style "bead night" section
- Blackout local TV if less than 20,000 tickets sold

I like all of these, except for the blackouts.  I think blackouts hurt the fanbase for the upcoming generation of potential fans.  I didn't grow up here, but I hear this from people often, that there was largely a generation lost in the blackouts.  In an era when everything is so readily accessible in this instant gratification world, I think this would be a kiss of death

I really like what the Bombers are doing with flying in a group of northerners each game.  This might unlock some growth in TV numbers in that area.

I think Toronto should be doing some "party buses" or something like that.  Where they sponsor some buses from further away.  Sell a bunch of tickets that come with a ride to and back in places that they don't feel they are getting much market penetration.  They could also sell a limited number of 'front of line passes' so that people can get immediate access to the stadium....no lines...I have seen this be successful in a couple US NHL markets.

Celeb endorsement...get some big names in there....give em a free box and some air time.  Most will do some level of positive social media on it...that is a big deal to youth now.  And I don't mean celebrities that the 40+ crowd is into...though the odd one doesn't hurt.

The media that is hard against the CFL...gotta find some inroads there...that is huge.

BC I think is simply in need of new ownership at this point.  Bless the man...there might not be a CFL without him in the past, but the time has come.

slimjim2

Quote from: "Xvys"
- Seed the 50/50 Draws with $100,000 to get the ball rolling
- Reduce food and drink prices to match local restaurants
- Kids tickets half-price in stadiums with excess capacity
- Widely publicize the date and time of next home game
- Create engaging "story line" leading up to every home game
- Mardi Gras style "bead night" section
- Blackout local TV if less than 20,000 tickets sold

-In Ottawa there is wifi available in the stadium, same in Hamilton.   I can stream the TSN game live in the stadium, get all the replays and see the stats that TSN put up - immediately
-Why seed the 50/50 draw with $100,000?  what good would that do?    
-why reduce food and drink prices to match local restaurants?   concessions are a huge money maker for CFL teams and looking at the revenue the fans are gladly paying.   In Toronto they have already tried the cheap drinks and $4 beers before the game,  it doesn't seem to work.
-kids tickets half price?   maybe in Toronto or BC where they are having attendance problem but that would be lost revenue in other cities where they are getting full price for seats.
-Widely publicize the date and time of the next game???   it's already "widely publicized"  if you go to a game it's broadcast over the loudspeaker,  everyone has the internet and you can easily see the date and times of games!!
-Mardi Gras -  just ask the people in Ottawa about the last time they tried that.  A total disaster -  You obviously don't understand the concept behind the beads and Mardi Gras but you don't give kids half price tickets and then do a Mardi Gras night...................... :oops:  :oops:
-Blackout the game??   yes that would give more exposure to the game???.   when a game is blacked out it means no one in the local area gets to see it.     TSN has paid the CFL $42 MILLION dollars to broadcast games,  TSN owns the rights and they must sell ad revenue to pay their bills.   If they black out games then sponsors don't get their product advertised. :?  :?

TravelPat1

For building TV audiences. Have at least one consistent day AND start time for a game each week for at least a good chunk of the season so it becomes routine for fans to know at that time of day - on that day each week that they can count on a CFL game being on.   Other sports/leagues do that.

NFL you know exactly every single week what times the games are. (Sunday 1PM, 4PM, 8:30PM and Monday 8:30PM ET.)

HNIC - 7:00PM and 10:00PM ET Saturdays

PGA - pretty consistently 3:00PM ET Saturdays and Sundays

ESPN Sunday night baseball - almost always 8:00PM ET starts

CFL - start times are a little bit all over the map.

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "TravelPat1"
For building TV audiences. Have at least one consistent day AND start time for a game each week for at least a good chunk of the season so it becomes routine for fans to know at that time of day - on that day each week that they can count on a CFL game being on.   Other sports/leagues do that.

NFL you know exactly every single week what times the games are. (Sunday 1PM, 4PM, 8:30PM and Monday 8:30PM ET.)

HNIC - 7:00PM and 10:00PM ET Saturdays

PGA - pretty consistently 3:00PM ET Saturdays and Sundays

ESPN Sunday night baseball - almost always 8:00PM ET starts

CFL - start times are a little bit all over the map.
Agree.  I love the Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday Double Header.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Gornaldatron

Quote from: "TravelPat1"
For building TV audiences. Have at least one consistent day AND start time for a game each week for at least a good chunk of the season so it becomes routine for fans to know at that time of day - on that day each week that they can count on a CFL game being on.   Other sports/leagues do that.

NFL you know exactly every single week what times the games are. (Sunday 1PM, 4PM, 8:30PM and Monday 8:30PM ET.)

HNIC - 7:00PM and 10:00PM ET Saturdays

PGA - pretty consistently 3:00PM ET Saturdays and Sundays

ESPN Sunday night baseball - almost always 8:00PM ET starts

CFL - start times are a little bit all over the map.

This. I've been saying this for years. The casual fan isn't as inclined to look up game times, but it's easier when it's the same time all of the time, even for just one or two slots each week.

Thursday night games in the summer could always start at 8pm ET and are hosted by Eastern teams or Winnipeg. Friday night games could always start at 9pm ET and would always be hosted by Calgary, Edmonton, or Saskatchewan. Saturday games could start at 7pm ET and could be hosted by anybody. And then there would be a floater game on either Saturday or Sunday. In the Fall, you lose the Thursday games and Saturday double headers become the norm (afternoon game + 7pm ET game). I think it's important to make it accessible to the Eastern markets since that's where the support lags a bit (I'm looking at Toronto and Montreal here). Plus, if we want a tenth team in the Maritimes, we want to avoid 11pm AT starts for those guys watching on TV.

ed ohmnes

Have al the games after labour day. Or start in august and compress the schedule

brianjoxx

Quote from: "rcon"
Quote from: "cflisthebest"
Now I don't mean changes to the game or plays, rule changes.


I mean how do you maintain and increase the younger audience numbers?

Let's come up with some valid ideas..  

Can we get more interactive media involved?


I was thinking a live app for your phone or tablet where you can instantly go and replay the last plays and have different angles to watch it from.   And at the same time have up to date stats on players and teams within seconds of the play.

And you can do this both at home and at the game.

Teams provide free WiFi, good WiFi too.

 
Who else?

Hard to improve on attendance numbers for tonight (near sell-out) and 2 games tomorrow (both will be sold-out)!


Near sell out!!

Montreal  18,728 ??
Winnipeg 30,165    Great job bomber fans

-Hammer-

In my opinion, the biggest long-term barrier the CFL faces is the concussion and injury question. It's responsible for declining grassroots enrolment, it's responsible for fewer families taking their kids out to games, it's responsible for that awkward PR moment during the Grey Cup when the question comes up.

The fix for that is simple, adjust the rules so high hits on the QB, not at the hip are penalties, that blindside helmet to helmet contact won't be swept under the rug and get serious on discipline. The fact Duron Carter is walking away from a blatantly intentional major foul with just a fine is absurd.

Les Tigre-Chats de Hamilton -
Je suppose que vous pouvez battre des couleurs

dcmoses

Quote from: "cflisthebest"
Now I don't mean changes to the game or plays, rule changes.


Don't change video review to eliminate the idiot decisions, long delays, lack of explanation of video review decision and coaches challenges that are only fishing expeditions there is no point is trying any non-game gimmicks.

Young people have a very short attention span, the long, multiple video review delays have they changing channels and if they won't watch on TV they definitely won't by a ticket.

I agree with Hammer; head injuries are the other major issue that is killing the game.

First fix the game then try the gimmicks.

Aerial

Quote from: "-Hammer-"
In my opinion, the biggest long-term barrier the CFL faces is the concussion and injury question. It's responsible for declining grassroots enrolment, it's responsible for fewer families taking their kids out to games, it's responsible for that awkward PR moment during the Grey Cup when the question comes up.

The fix for that is simple, adjust the rules so high hits on the QB, not at the hip are penalties, that blindside helmet to helmet contact won't be swept under the rug and get serious on discipline. The fact Duron Carter is walking away from a blatantly intentional major foul with just a fine is absurd.

Contact sport though, as it is today.  NHL was fine with Semenko and such, RIP Dave BTW,, going out to goon and fight their way to a SC.  

Football is a purer contact sport than hockey ever will hope to be.  You can't fight to win a championship in football like the Broadstreet Bullies in Philly didd winning the SC in the NHL with goon such tactics.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

GernB

Quote from: "KevinRiley2"
Quote from: "TravelPat1"
For building TV audiences. Have at least one consistent day AND start time for a game each week for at least a good chunk of the season so it becomes routine for fans to know at that time of day - on that day each week that they can count on a CFL game being on.   Other sports/leagues do that.

NFL you know exactly every single week what times the games are. (Sunday 1PM, 4PM, 8:30PM and Monday 8:30PM ET.)

HNIC - 7:00PM and 10:00PM ET Saturdays

PGA - pretty consistently 3:00PM ET Saturdays and Sundays

ESPN Sunday night baseball - almost always 8:00PM ET starts

CFL - start times are a little bit all over the map.
Agree.  I love the Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday Double Header.

So do I, at least for games up until Labour Day. Games should then shift to Friday night, Saturday late afternoon/early evening, and sunday afternoon. After Thanksgiving, no night games other than FNF.
 


Users Online

111 Guests, 3 Users (9 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
raymarkca, ozurak020, Chewbaca1973, Yahoo!, Google (8)

Most Online Today: 155. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)