Niagara Als

S Greene scored with a long TD in the 3rd Q that motivated the offense to move ahead of the RRS. He amassed 142 yards with one long TD. He still has his speed and has a great ability to out jump the defenders.  He had all the proper athletic tools in tonight's game. DBs are checking in and out of the Als lineup and, new qbs are also being signed. The only stable  veteran DB was Jovin Johnson.Last year he stabilized our young corners and now with all the DB's coming and goings he would have been a solid DB with this group of newcomers.
The indifference and apathy, as Johnny indicated seems appropriate when one looks at the large number fans who are not showing up at the gate. Until we see better and exciting football attendance will suffer.

Johnny Ticat slayer

Quote from: "idealsheldon"
I said I would wait till the bye week to pass judgement, but so far Kavis and Chapdelaine look to be in over their heads.

YES! Way in over their heads.

Johnny, how about stirring things up with a poll. Like how many losses will it take for Kavis to fire Chap and take over as Head Coach? :D

Johnny could start a fire "someone" thread, but it would be useless. The Wetenhal's gave Reed a 3 year contract. There is no way they will dump him in year one, or two. We are most likely stuck with Reed for the full 3 seasons...   :(

It is too soon to fire Chapdelaine. But, when he hired his young son with very little experience to be receivers coach, Johnny lost a lot of confidence in him. And the receivers are not getting open, are running the wrong routes (Ernest Jackson) and going offsides. This is the receivers coach's responsibility. If you're going to hire a family member, you better make sure he does a GREAT job!  :cowboy:

The Alouettes were at a fork in the road in December 2016. They could have hired Brock Sunderland to be their new GM. They turned left when they should have turned right and hired Kavis Reed as their GM. A mind boggling decision! Reed has shown on a regular basis he is not cut out to be a GM.

This decision could lead the team to a dead end. If the team continues to lose, expect crowds of 14000-15000 at McGill stadium by season's end.

"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

mike2579

And dont forget in that 15k fans how many tickets were free.
Proud Montreal Alouette season ticket holder since 2004. Former Section C2 Row 9, but got tired of missing circus catches in the endzone cuz of a stupid wall! New section M1 row 11!! Few steps away from the mens room!

HfxTC

If you guys remember during the season. I was hoping Kavis wouldn't make that one trade/move too many. Had he signed Durant, Olafoyle and maybe Jackson and left the rest alone. He'd be in great shape. But he had to turn the entire roster upside down.

Watching Toronto turn Ottawa into mince meat in a half of football last night was probably hard to watch for many. Personally, I was happy to see SJ and Bear do well. These were the leaders of the offense and the defense and were punted out of town with ZERO in return just because they were close to the outgoing management.

Kavis won't be here long but it won't change the fact this organization is headed for very dark days. Like at the end of the Bronfman Concords era we will see a collection of failed football people roll into town, might even see Maciocia LMAO.

I've also been told that neither Chapdelaine or Reed have put down any roots in the city and have no plan to.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

jkm

Lest we forget, even the W we got was somewhat lucky.  If Crapigna had been accurate, our record would be 0-3!

While 1-2 is not the end of the world, it doesn't appear at this stage that the coaching staff can generate successful plays, or we can't execute on O.

I will continue to record the games this season and watch the following day.  Watching games live requires too much medication!

Bigshot

Je crois que les gens panique un peu trop rapidement, la saison est encore jeune et si on regarde le classement dans l'est on s'aperçoit que les Als ne sont pas en si mauvaise posture (2e).   Je suis content pour Woods et Green mais si on analyse le travail de Reed on s'aperçoit que Kovell  a 18 plaqués comme woods après 3 match donc on est pas perdant si tu compare l'âge et le salaire des deux joueurs.  Pour Jovon  johnson les als ne pouvaient pas prévoir une hécatombe au niveau de la tertiaire ( taylor, henderson, hawkins, mincy ).  En ce qui concerne Green, personne ne pouvait prédire sa production après une telle blessure (déchirure des 3 minisques et reconstruction du genou) donc un gambling.  Par contre je suis déçu de la performance de Jackson et espère qu'il se replacera très bientôt. Durant n'a pas été exceptionnelle j'en conviens mais Reed n'avait pas vraiment d'autre option à part Glenn pour amener un vétéran leader au sein de cette attaque et je préfère nettement Durant que Glenn.  Donc avant de chialer sur le travail de reed  analyser le contexte avant les faits et non après.  Puis laissons la chance aux coureurs  mais je suis d'avis que l'attaque devra débloquer assez rapidement sinon la saison risque d'être longue.

RichardVeilleux

S.J. Green and Bear Woods were moved/released or call it what you want, the main reasons were financial. Had they kept these guys they would have been over the max. approved cap. They could not afford Durant,Olafioye,Jackson, Green and Woods.

It's always easy to be critical and negative after the facts, but when Kavis made these moves I am positive that he thought that it were the moves to make.

I don't have problems with the release of Bear Woods; the record would not be different with him still in the lineup. Toronto won last night thanks to the play of their defence,particularly the defensive line. DE Butler-not a Jim Popp signing- was the key factor and not Bear Woods.

The trade of S.J. Green definitely hurts,although I understand it. The beginning of the end started for S.J. when Kavis signed free agent Ernest Jackson in mid-February; while we don't have the medical records, it is possible that in mid-February the doctors probably did not anticipate that S.J. would be ready for the beginning of the season,which prompted Kavis to sign Jackson. He then knew that if healthy they could not afford him; no way can they afford paying 2 Int. WR's a total of close to $400,000. I recall how many on this site hoped for and were happy for the signing of Jackson. So far, it has not been too positive but I am ready to give him more time. He will have to improve quickly.

I don't see which other trades made did hurt us. If you watched the play of Davis and Wooten,last night, they would not have made the team. They are playing because of injuries to Ticats injuries to DB's.  Plesius  for Shortill has had no impact.

Without injuries to players such as S.J., Billy Parker in 2016 along with releases of Glenn, Carter, Stafford and Vaughn the Als would have finished the year with an excess of Max. cap. The team that Kavis Reed inherited still had many players with excessive salaries-S.J., Bear Woods, Jeff Perrett, Chip Cox, Winston Venable,John Bowman- and it was impossible to keep them while adding a $400,000 QB, a $168,000 WR and a$165,000 to $168,000 OT. Choices/moves had to made.

Yes, I am disappointed but I am not ready to throw rocks at Kavis Reed and Jacques Chapdelaine.

After three weeks , I presently see to types of teams in the CFL; they are:

A-Best teams/teams above the other 6,in alphabetical order: BC,Calgary and Edmonton.

B.The other 6,basically equal. In alphabetical order: Hamilton,Montreal, Ottawa, Saskatchewan, Toronto -great against Hamilton, mediocre against BC and very good in second half against Ottawa- and Winnipeg.

Richard

okie

Kavis Reed wanted to keep SJ Green, but the two could not agree on a pay cut.  Green to me, just looks slow.  With the Argos, Green has a couple speedsters around him to occupy the defense.  Also, the Ti-Cats and Redblacks defense so far this year have hardly been impressive.  

As the Als lack overall speed at the receiving corp, I doubt if Green would have made much difference with the Als this year. Als were struggling on offense when he was still here.  In his last healthy year here, his reception/target ratio was near the bottom of the league.

idealsheldon

Ernest Jackson didn`t suddenly become a bum in the off season. He was an effective possession receiver with the Redblacks last season and its up to Chapdelaine to get the best out of him. You build your offense around your top players.

That is probably my biggest frustration (built up after 5 years of lousy offense), that we have been ineffective and unimaginative on offense.

Yeah the S.J. Green situation is second guessing, but Reed and Co. get paid to first guess. Why did he have to make the decision at mini-camp, why not wait till training camp to get a fuller picture of Green`s recovery? Reed waited till training camp to cut Woods.

The Habs fired Dr. Lacroix as their team doctor last off-season. They didn`t give a reason, but there was speculation it was because he misdiagnosed Carey Price`s knee injury. Did he mess up on SJ also?

One other thing bothering me. That our first pick 2nd round draft choice DT Foote sits, while we play a guy we had originally cut. Hopefully Foote is a project and not a bust.
I`m not always right, I just think I am.

tony

Quote from: "HfxTC"
If you guys remember during the season. I was hoping Kavis wouldn't make that one trade/move too many. Had he signed Durant, Olafoyle and maybe Jackson and left the rest alone. He'd be in great shape. But he had to turn the entire roster upside down.

Watching Toronto turn Ottawa into mince meat in a half of football last night was probably hard to watch for many. Personally, I was happy to see SJ and Bear do well. These were the leaders of the offense and the defense and were punted out of town with ZERO in return just because they were close to the outgoing management.

Kavis won't be here long but it won't change the fact this organization is headed for very dark days. Like at the end of the Bronfman Concords era we will see a collection of failed football people roll into town, might even see Maciocia LMAO.

I've also been told that neither Chapdelaine or Reed have put down any roots in the city and have no plan to.

One could argue that this has already begun. Two losing seasons without making the playoffs.
1-2 to start with little improvement.
If they go 1-5 or 2-4, it will be tough the rest of the way.

tony

Ernest Jackson didn`t suddenly become a bum in the off season. He was an effective possession receiver with the Redblacks last season and its up to Chapdelaine to get the best out of him. You build your offense around your top players.

That is probably my biggest frustration (built up after 5 years of lousy offense), that we have been ineffective and unimaginative on offense.

Yeah the S.J. Green situation is second guessing, but Reed and Co. get paid to first guess. Why did he have to make the decision at mini-camp, why not wait till training camp to get a fuller picture of Green`s recovery? Reed waited till training camp to cut Woods.

The Habs fired Dr. Lacroix as their team doctor last off-season. They didn`t give a reason, but there was speculation it was because he misdiagnosed Carey Price`s knee injury. Did he mess up on SJ also?

One other thing bothering me. That our first pick 2nd round draft choice DT Foote sits, while we play a guy we had originally cut. Hopefully Foote is a project and not a bust.

He cut Wood at the very beginning of TC. Woods did not even have a chance to have himself get cut. Given Reed had already made up his mind he was not part of the plans, he shoot have cut Woods loose earlier.

In any event, Woods and Green should still have been with the Als. At the very least, as you said, let Green come to TC and see how he performed.

Johnny Ticat slayer

That our first pick 2nd round draft choice DT Foote sits, while we play a guy we had originally cut. Hopefully Foote is a project and not a bust.

How right you are to be worried! If Foote, who is younger and costs less in salary than the other national DTs, is not playing; it is a bad sign. If he was just as good as the others, he would be playing.

If he is not even good enough to displace one of the old, barely serviceable journeymen national DTs we have, it is not looking good...  

Johnny Ticat slayer

Two things to ponder...

In April, if Kavis Reed was available, would the Edmonton Eskimos have hired him to be their GM instead of Brock Sunderland?

In 2017, besides the Alouettes, would any other CFL team have hired Justin Chapdelaine to be their receivers coach?

The answer to both questions is a resounding:

HELL NO!

:cowboy:

tony

Quote from: "okie"
Kavis Reed wanted to keep SJ Green, but the two could not agree on a pay cut.  Green to me, just looks slow.  With the Argos, Green has a couple speedsters around him to occupy the defense.  Also, the Ti-Cats and Redblacks defense so far this year have hardly been impressive.  

As the Als lack overall speed at the receiving corp, I doubt if Green would have made much difference with the Als this year. Als were struggling on offense when he was still here.  In his last healthy year here, his reception/target ratio was near the bottom of the league.

Tell you what Okie, I would take Green today over Jackson even if he is slower. He can make something out of nothing. I counted at least two incredible catches for big gains. (he may have had one or two more that I may have missed in his three games). How many has Jackson made so far? How about Yards after the catch?
Jackson has a whopping 67 yards in three games. Awful if you ask me given he was Reed's big signing.

And if you think Green is slow, how about Lewis?! Why is he still on the team based on your comment of Green being slow.
Lewis gets the ball and manages to gain extra yards after the catch.

With the Als struggles on offense, Green would be welcomed.

tony

Quote from: "RichardVeilleux"
S.J. Green and Bear Woods were moved/released or call it what you want, the main reasons were financial. Had they kept these guys they would have been over the max. approved cap. They could not afford Durant,Olafioye,Jackson, Green and Woods.

It's always easy to be critical and negative after the facts, but when Kavis made these moves I am positive that he thought that it were the moves to make.

I don't have problems with the release of Bear Woods; the record would not be different with him still in the lineup. Toronto won last night thanks to the play of their defence,particularly the defensive line. DE Butler-not a Jim Popp signing- was the key factor and not Bear Woods.

The trade of S.J. Green definitely hurts,although I understand it. The beginning of the end started for S.J. when Kavis signed free agent Ernest Jackson in mid-February; while we don't have the medical records, it is possible that in mid-February the doctors probably did not anticipate that S.J. would be ready for the beginning of the season,which prompted Kavis to sign Jackson. He then knew that if healthy they could not afford him; no way can they afford paying 2 Int. WR's a total of close to $400,000. I recall how many on this site hoped for and were happy for the signing of Jackson. So far, it has not been too positive but I am ready to give him more time. He will have to improve quickly.

I don't see which other trades made did hurt us. If you watched the play of Davis and Wooten,last night, they would not have made the team. They are playing because of injuries to Ticats injuries to DB's.  Plesius  for Shortill has had no impact.

Without injuries to players such as S.J., Billy Parker in 2016 along with releases of Glenn, Carter, Stafford and Vaughn the Als would have finished the year with an excess of Max. cap. The team that Kavis Reed inherited still had many players with excessive salaries-S.J., Bear Woods, Jeff Perrett, Chip Cox, Winston Venable,John Bowman- and it was impossible to keep them while adding a $400,000 QB, a $168,000 WR and a$165,000 to $168,000 OT. Choices/moves had to made.

Yes, I am disappointed but I am not ready to throw rocks at Kavis Reed and Jacques Chapdelaine.

After three weeks , I presently see to types of teams in the CFL; they are:

A-Best teams/teams above the other 6,in alphabetical order: BC,Calgary and Edmonton.

B.The other 6,basically equal. In alphabetical order: Hamilton,Montreal, Ottawa, Saskatchewan, Toronto -great against Hamilton, mediocre against BC and very good in second half against Ottawa- and Winnipeg.

Richard

This team could be 1-7 after week 9 as they play the Bombers after the RB then back to back games against the Argos.
Not sure about you, but for me, losing like this given the previous two seasons of not making the playoffs, I will have seen enough.
Time will soon tell if Reed has made the right choices and whether Chaps is a qualified HC.
The spotlight is on them right now to turn it around.

Users Online

99 Guests, 1 User (13 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Johnny Ticat slayer, Google (12), Baidu

Most Online Today: 173. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)