do or die

True to rumor…that new stadium does look pretty sweet…
Riders take 2 penalties early…
Bombers look pretty conservative…and pretty tight…
Nichols throwing a lot of very short…and very poor balls…
JFG has pass bounce off him for INT…
Glenn tosses perfect TD throw to Holly over R. Carmichael…10-0
Riders look like they are playing with 13 men out there…
Nichols sacked to end a pretty useless 1st quarter for the Blue…
…as in 0 first downs…and 10 yds. on offense…
Heath picks off a long Glenn overthrow, into double coverage…
O’Shea wins 2nd challenge on IC…
……but Nichols misses wide open Dressler in the end zone…
Bombers down 10-3…and losing battle for field position…
Glenn hits Grant with short TD pass…now 17-3 Riders
Bomber D stabilizing……
Bomber O still struggling…
Bomber DT’s doing some good work……
Nichols just gets down to basics…puts bulls-eye on Adams…
.. 3 straight catches…with nice TD catch and run…
30 sec left…Glenn throws perfect pass…to Sam Hurl…
Nichols misses Denmark in end zone…Medlock with FG
Bombers lucky to be down only 17-13 at the half…
…despite doing nothing for over 20 minutes…
Dressler pops through a seam with no Riders in sight…
…suits Nichols…as he completes 87 yd. pass and run play…
Riders bumble away the ensuing kickoff….Bombers recover…
Dressler finds no Rider lined up across from him in red zone…
…so simply waltzes into end zone to receive another wide open TD pass….
Boom, boom….25 seconds…..2 TD’s….27-17 Bombers…
Memo to Rider Fans…..Dressler not too old, small or slow……
Good Rider kick return and a penalty enables Riders to kick FG…
Washington takes advantage of yet another Riders secondary bust…
…to haul in 35 yd. TD pass from Nichols…who really looks on the beam, now…
Glenn completes couple of passes and gets Blue D penalty to set up FG…
Hurl playing his best game in a Bomber uniform…
Medlock makes it 37-23…time to cruise to victory……
…hold da phone…Glenn gets off a drive…..and hits Demski with TD pass…
Carmichael not exactly a Roc today…
Nichols sacked…..momentum turning yet again…
Nice punting from Medlock tonight…
All Jake Thomas does….is make plays…
Not sold on our kick returner…just yet…
Some nice work by Knox and Miller on special teams…
Bombers get ball back …Nichols sacked again…
Crucial turnover:  Grant catches and fumbles ball…
…but magically converted into incompletion by CFL review…
Naturally Glenn moves ball…throws 4th TD pass to Roosevelt…
Not impressed with our DE’s tonight…
Two Bomber rooks in secondary tested today…
Alexander holding up well…but can’t smell what Roc is cooking…
Solid game from Chris Randle…
Blue get the ball back but Nichols sacked AGAIN….punt…
Rider can’t move it into FG range…..overtime it is…
2nd series…Crapinga right on target…with left goalpost …
Sense of impending doom…now hanging over the proceedings…
…all that is left is for Mr. Medlock to line up…
…and proceed to hit his 5th FG…for a 43-40 Bomber WIN.
Nice… to overcome slow start, building and the hype…
…to win opener on the road…
Not so nice…to barely beat a pretty poor Rider team…
Riders could really use 13 men in secondary…
Bombers could really use some way… not to blow leads…
I could really use some way to cut back a bit… on the gin…
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so."

Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

aulcee

Well done as usual.  :thup:

Lyle B. Style

Bombers performance was actually better than I predicted:

In almost all categories:

1. Nichols is a monster when he's firing on all cylinders, however that's really not possible when the o-line gassed out in the 4th quarter

2. Harris is all-Harris, all the time. Picks up a ton of minor nicks that would sideline an ordinary hobo but this guy is the major part of the bomber offense. No question.

3. Kick returners weren't spectacular but they protected the pigskin and their runbacks were nothing to be ashamed of. Better blocking on teams accounts for most of this, but it would be nice to have a McDuffie doing end-zone dances every couple games.

4. Rich Hall defense still a major concern with this team. D-line has been bolstered by hard-boiled monsters and better Canadians. Still don't know where they buried Ekakitie on the roster - he certainly isn't prepared to go into battle given his shape coming out of camp.

5. Coaching is spotty. Plop can be a monster for 3 or 4 series and then goes into a shell when he takes the lead. NO rhyme or reason. And Plop is the best coach on the team. O'Shea over-thought a challenge, had some funny strategy to start the game but the less decisions this guy has to make, the better. Neither O'Shea nor Corky would be considered as Top 4 or 5 CFL head coaches - O'Shea has a miserable winning percentage and Corky made his name standing on Mike Reilly's shoulders.

6. That stadium is fantastic. And its a stones throw from Regina's downtown. No major hassles getting to and fro (other than 90 minutes before game time and the first 1/2 hour after games conclude). Lots of space in the concourses, great viewing angles. Even Dunigan said it has the look and feel of a 50,000 to 60,000 seat U.S.A. facility. Congratulations Saskatchewan on your great new stadium. To bad its gonna be soiled out of the chute by American Hillbilly. :cowboy:

wolverine29

I'll take the win in a hostile environment compounded by it being the first home game in a brand new stadium for the home team.  Especially huge considering how awful the team came out in the first quarter.  Actually, the offense struggled in the first and fourth quarters going in the same direction and scored most of their points when the Riders were defending that same side of the field.  Perhaps the field there is sloped, lol.  

Our Oline had issues at times holding up against some of the Rider pass rush, especially on the blitz, but I thought they showed great discipline overall.  As much as I can recall, they only had one penalty which came in the fourth quarter.  It would've been easy to have a couple of false start penalties in those conditions but they didn't.  That said, recognizing the blitz and making quicker plays to avoid sacks needs to be better.  Couple of open misses for Nichols.  Receiver wise, I like the makings of what we have with the americans as long as they can stay healthy.  Not sure how much longer JFG holds onto the starting National job though. Only noticeable play was letting a pass bounce off him for an INT.

On the flip side, defensively, I thought we struggled at times to put pressure on Glenn with our rush and our blitzes weren't terribly effective.  I was expecting more from our Dline.  Hurl at MLB means that Cory Johnson started at DT, but I though our best results on the rush were with Jake Thomas in and Johnson on the sideline.  However, credit where credit is due, Westerman made a HUGE play of the game with the shoestring tackle on the run in the second OT session.  I also thought we'd be in big trouble with the way Glenn was picking apart Carmichael and Alexander early.  Loeffler wasn't particularly noticeable either.   Allowed Demski to have a huge game.  I'm surprised the Riders didn't try to take advantage of them more.

As for specials, gave up too much return yardage for my liking, but Medlock's leg is as good as it comes.  Pretty thankful he's on our side.

sully

That was a strangely entertaining game summary.
I'm the Director of Media Technology for the Canadian Football League. Got technology concerns/ideas for the league? E-mail me at ssyed@cfl.ca and we'll talk.

papazoola

Quote from: "sully"
That was a strangely entertaining game summary.

.....Do or Die does it again....His capsuling of a game is always entertaining and most times accurate....strangely enough :wink:
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

papazoola

.....We are too slow off the mark....we can't do that against a team like Cal. or it'll be a long night...For once I would like to see a lead that is held for the length of the game, then I'd say that we've really started to put things together. :rockin:
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

Lyle B. Style

Quote from: "papazoola"
.....We are too slow off the mark....we can't do that against a team like Cal. or it'll be a long night...For once I would like to see a lead that is held for the length of the game, then I'd say that we've really started to put things together. :rockin:

Disagree. The Stamps also have a nasty habit of resting on big leads and shutting down the engines early. But the Stamps have far better depth, quarter-backing, coaching & Jeroma Messam than we do.

Teams rarely play mistake free football. Even Calgary. However if Charleston Hughes is out - the stamps may have a bit more problems getting into sack position on Nichols!

Calgary knows they pretty much spent all their charge in the regular season last year - and basically passed out in the ladies washroom during the Grey Cup vs. a .500 team.

So it wouldn't surprise me if bombers put on a spirited affair this Friday nite. However, if they lose or tie the turnover battle (even +1) they probably can't survive. Don't think Mr. Dressup will be wide open by 20 yds for a pair of easy-sleazy TDs.

BoBo Mitchell has probably gone thru a ton of Kleenex drooling at the mere thought of going up against a Rich Hall secondary. Mitchell could do a ton of damage if he has time to bounce off the first wave of pursuit and find his WRs.

Bomber trenches were pretty much gassed last quarter and OT vs. Sask'n so I don't think that changes over 6 days - in fact, if its 85 to 90 degrees in Winnipeg it may get worse!

DAN38

My thoughts exactly. :thup:
Si vis pacem... para bellum

wolverine29

Quote from: "DAN38"

Everyone would like to do that.  Even the Stamps haven't been able to hold a lead so far this year.   As nice as that would be though it's good to know this team can battle through adversity.

DAN38

Quote from: "wolverine29"
Quote from: "DAN38"

Everyone would like to do that.  Even the Stamps haven't been able to hold a lead so far this year.   As nice as that would be though it's good to know this team can battle through adversity.

The adversity though is caused by our ineptness at allowing a team to crawl back. I like a tight down to the wire game like anybody else but it is becoming a habit. I do like the odd blowout win. You know, like the ones WE have endured the last few years.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

Users Online

73 Guests, 0 Users (4 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Google (4)

Most Online Today: 119. Most Online Ever: 225 (Aug 15 2017, 11:52 AM)