Argofan_1000

Might be others but this is what I would like.

I would like Randy Ambrosie to openly set the ground rules for a US team.   Why?

Owners are doing their part but if fans do not want to support their teams then the owners should have an opportunity to move their franchise.

Canadians just might be dumb enough to let their team slip through their fingers!  Quebec City or the East Coast is not the answer. Too small or no interest, right QC

Some of the larger Canadian centres are looking for US approval. Moving your team to the US - would that suffice?

Lyle B. Style

Ambrosie's first task will not be prepping for another U.S. invasion. Too risky - paltry results the last go-round.

His first task should be cleaning out the vermin in the replay room - but it won't.

Randy knows better than to rock the boat when he pops out of the hatch. He'll be a Cool Hand Luke for the first 60 to 90 days!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 27 YEARS, COUNTING!

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "Lyle B. Style"
Randy knows better than to rock the boat when he pops out of the hatch. He'll be a Cool Hand Luke for the first 60 to 90 days!
Yup.

After hearing that teams do not like National Advertising deals, and prefer to negotiate deals on a per team basis because they get more, I am left wondering what the CFL Commissioner can do to improve things, other than negotiating a TV deal that is 4 years from expiring, and being a pretty face.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

ed ohmnes

Try get the rich oil down east involved in a team,  that might be a start

Mightygoose

First order of business for Ambroise.

Learn

See how the league functions for a full season to team's sales and marketing efforts....build relationships with corporate partners...understand their needs.

Understanding the media partners now and present on what they would need for a continued/futute partnership.

Same thing with the PA.

Overall build relationships and see how the league functions(or not) will help better assess the path to take and be able to execute it better.

Coming in guns a blazing will ensure another short tenure.

depopulationINC

Quote from: "Argofan_1000"

I would like Randy Ambrosie to openly set the ground rules for a US team.   Why?

Owners are doing their part but if fans do not want to support their teams then the owners should have an opportunity to move their franchise.

Canadians just might be dumb enough to let their team slip through their fingers!  Quebec City or the East Coast is not the answer. Too small or no interest, right QC

Some of the larger Canadian centres are looking for US approval. Moving your team to the US - would that suffice?

Fat chance.

Ambrosie was against the US expansion the first go...mainly because the ratio could not be enforced.  Not going to happen.

slimjim2

Quote from: "depopulationINC"
Quote from: "Argofan_1000"

Fat chance.

Ambrosie was against the US expansion the first go...mainly because the ratio could not be enforced.  Not going to happen.

Maybe he should be looking at reducing the Canadian ratio.  Trying to find enough quality Canadian players every year is getting harder and harder.   We read about more high schools dropping their football programs and kids playing other sports,  that means less football players going to the CIS and fewer quality players to fill the ratio.

Aerial

I can't argue with reducing the ratio and number of starting Canadians required  slim in light of the facts as you say with less football being played in Canada now at the amateur level.  The new commish should make this a priority.  I don't think the new commish will be able to have much of an effect on seeing more high schools gain back their football programs or getting new high schools into football.  Just too expensive, insurance costs and parents afraid of concussions swaying their kids away from football as well as some lack of really good coaching available.  The writing may be on the wall for kids and amateur football in Canada in the not so distant future.  I hope not but not looking great at this point, at least in some parts of the country.

And this ties in as well with looking to the US for opportunities for expansion, guarded expansion, not like last time.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Aqualung1

Make winning the national championship of football in Canada more of a source of pride than it currently is. In Canada the Stanley Cup is the holy Grail for Canadians and the Grey Cup needs to be thought of in a similar light.

Focusing on the Canadian championship would also help dilute the constant NFL comparisons, since they are ineligible.

slimjim2

Quote from: "Aqualung1"
Make winning the national championship of football in Canada more of a source of pride than it currently is. In Canada the Stanley Cup is the holy Grail for Canadians and the Grey Cup needs to be thought of in a similar light.

Focusing on the Canadian championship would also help dilute the constant NFL comparisons, since they are ineligible.

But how do you "make winning the national championship of football in Canada more of a source of pride than it curretnly is",  you don't make any suggestions.   How would a Commish do that?

I like the idea of Heny Burris being in London England tomorrow  and will be "live"  on CTV with the Grey Cup from the Canada Day celebration from Trafalgar Square.     That's a pretty big deal!!   The Trafalgar Square Canada Day thing is the biggest celebration outside of Ottawa every year.
You are right about the NFL and the Super Bowl,  it's about enjoying both of them.

Aqualung1

Quote from: "slimjim2"

But how do you "make winning the national championship of football in Canada more of a source of pride than it curretnly is",  you don't make any suggestions.   How would a Commish do that?

I like the idea of Heny Burris being in London England tomorrow  and will be "live"  on CTV with the Grey Cup from the Canada Day celebration from Trafalgar Square.     That's a pretty big deal!!   The Trafalgar Square Canada Day thing is the biggest celebration outside of Ottawa every year.
You are right about the NFL and the Super Bowl,  it's about enjoying both of them.

I guess I'm thinking that in terms of marketing the league, while you need to promote CFL star's etc., they are always going to pale in comparison with the NFL. So you need to focus on the difference's, which they do to some extent.

I imagine the Commissioner has some influence over the direction and perception of the league and it's marketing so get the Grey Cup out there. Trafalgar Square is one great idea, how about letting the winning players bring the cup to their hometowns like the NHL does. The sort of things that might get the cup into local news stories in the  off season. Promote the game itself more during the season instead of just the few weeks before the big game.

I just think that these kind of things might promote a city's pride in ownership and lead to better rivalries and greater interest.

Aerial

That is an excellent point though.  Why many Canadians don't seem to understand what a national championship is or should/can mean of their own country in whatever sport or competition is perplexing in many ways.  I guess to these people unless it's "major" with a heavy American slant, then it just can't be worthwhile even if it is a Canadian national championship.  Who knows?

Neely2005

Won't happen. The rest of the league won't stand for 2 different sets of rules again and the Canadian ratio player requirement violates US labor law.
"ALL-TIME RECORDS

Grey Cup Wins:

16- Toronto Argonauts
14- Edmonton Eskimos
10- Winnipeg Blue Bombers
8- Hamilton Tiger-Cats
7- Ottawa Rough Riders
7- Montreal Alouettes
7- Calgary Stampeders
6- B.C. Lions
4- Saskatchewan Roughriders"

http://www.cfl.ca/2010/12/02/by-the-num ... cup-glory/

ArgoT

Definitely expansion to the East coast, then  possibly a couple of strategically based US teams in perhaps Maine, North Dakota?

slimjim2

Quote from: "ArgoT"
Definitely expansion to the East coast, then  possibly a couple of strategically based US teams in perhaps Maine, North Dakota?

That would be a huge task for the new Comish.......................... :?  :?
North Dakota ? - Fargo is the biggest town at just over 110k,   they have a dome stadium seats 19k but built around an NFL sized field. :lol:
Maine? - Portland is huge with a population of 66k and the biggest stadium in Maine at the University of Maine 10k    :lol:
East coast - doesn't have a stadium.    The locals in Halifax are trying to get a soccer team but no talk or interest in the CFL.

I think the Commish will be busy trying to save the Argos and figure out attendance problems in Montreal and BC

Users Online

148 Guests, 5 Users (9 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
mycko75, mr62cats, RiX, TeddyFay, Google (9)

Most Online Today: 176. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)