slimjim2

Quote from: "Argofan_1000"
Paulo Senra from the CFL office commented on the 3down article. He asked why they didn't publish the following

55% increase on RDS for opening weekend and 91% increase in the 18-49 year olds on RDS for opening weekend.

3downnation missed this and twisted the truth to suit them. I have to think sometimes that 3down is anti CFL with some of the things they write

How did they twist it?   the overall numbers were DOWN - as the article stated the opener on Thursday night overall was 851,000  but 620,000 watched on TSN which was a DROP from 692,000 the year before.
How can you  "twist the truth to suit them"          lol...........................I don't get that one?
I'm surprised at the low number too for the Argo/Ticat game 420,000?   has there ever been a Ticat/Argo game with that low of  TV numbers,  I suppose that matches the attendance figure which would be the lowest ever attendance for a Ticat/Argo game.
How can 3Down nation be anti-CFL  just because they print the facts?    I wonder if some CFL fans would've been happier if 3Down nation had just ignored all of the other numbers and just printed the opening night 851k number.

TravelPat1

The really low 422,000 number for the Ti-Cats - Argos game is the one that jumped out at me too.  

The two rival teams in the biggest population centre of the country - and a number that low for a season opener?  That's a bit alarming.

Argofan_1000

CFL Communications?Verified account @CFL_PR 21m21 minutes ago
Replying to @CFL_PR

In total, 2.2 million viewers tuned in for some part of the @sskroughriders vs. @Wpg_BlueBombers @CFLonTSN game broadcast. #CFL

also most watched sporting event on Canada Day @ 769,000

KevinRiley2

Replying to @CFL_PR

In total, 2.2 million viewers tuned in for some part of the @sskroughriders vs. @Wpg_BlueBombers @CFLonTSN game broadcast. #CFL

Good news.  

Now where's the bad news?   :wink:

Argofan_1000

Quote from: "KevinRiley2"
Replying to @CFL_PR

Good news.  

wait for Slim and Pat

KevinRiley2

Replying to @CFL_PR

Good news.  

wait for Slim and Pat
If there was more positive news, they would have given it to us.  The other 3 games must be down from last year.

KevinRiley2

After so many years of BAD games, I not surprised the numbers are down - assuming they are.  We put up with a lot of garbage in recent years.

Hopefully, the new and improved CFL will result in an uptick because, TBH, 2017 has provided the best set of 8 games in recent memory.

KevinRiley2

One game (Thursday, Friday and Saturday) this weekend, plus a DH on Saturday!  Nice to see.   :thup:

Enterprise Captain

Quote from: "Neely2005"
Quote from: "slimjim2"

Then, a few years ago, that same Damian Cox wrote how the Argos would not have a home in Toronto because they were getting kicked out of Rogers and the TFC would not allow them into BMO.

Why is there never a mea culpa?

Why is there never an article about how The Little Engine That Could (the CFL) always finding a way?

They just love to dump on us.

That was written by Cox before the TFC owners bought the Argos.    If someone else had bought the Argos that were not connected to MLSE/TFC then they would not be at BMO.   It was MLSE/TFC that funded the conversion to CFL football.
I doubt any other owner could have negotiated a deal to play at BMO and fund the conversion of the field for the CFL.

I don't know if the Post article is really "dumping"  on the CFL,  he writes about the success in Ottawa, Hamilton, Sask.
There are a few positives in the article.
But he points out that the CFL has to get a younger audience and that's where the money is for advertisers.
If they don't do something soon,  and with more young people watching sports on their smart phones and viewers cutting the cord,  the TV contract will not be worth much in 4 years time.

TFC and the Argonauts have different ownership groups and it wasn't up to either of them if the Argonauts could move into BMO Field as BMO Field is entirely owned by the City of Toronto and so is the land that it's built on.

But you already knew that didn't you Troll.
Yes, TFC and the Argos have different ownership groups. 2/3 of MLSE own the Argos because Rogers didn't want anything to do with them. Though the city owns BMO Field, MLSE has the management rights. So, MLSE most defiantly had a say in if the Argos were playing there or not. Also, as slimkim2 pointed out MLSE paid for the renovations that allowed for field conversion and the Argos locker room, etc.

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "Enterprise Captain"
Yes, TFC and the Argos have different ownership groups. 2/3 of MLSE own the Argos because Rogers didn't want anything to do with them. Though the city owns BMO Field, MLSE has the management rights. So, MLSE most defiantly had a say in if the Argos were playing there or not..
Disagree.  There was no way MLSE could have said no to the Argos with the city of Toronto pulling the BMO strings.  
Quote from: "Enterprise Captain"
Also, as slimkim2 pointed out MLSE paid for the renovations that allowed for field conversion and the Argos locker room, etc.
Did MLSE pay for it, or was it just Tannen-Bell?

KevinRiley2

Bob McClown, on PTS, said Rogers believes the reason for the drop in CFL rating are because of the Jays run.  He implied Rogers loves it but is worried that will change if the Jays fall off.

I tend to agree.

Mightygoose

I agree fully with that McCown has said via Kevin's post. I believe he said Jays ratings are down 10-15% and will drop off further if they really fall out of the race.

What the Jays and the CFL have in common is all of their games are on cable and satilite. Cord cutting will cause the ratings drop which is the bigger sign than just the popularity of each entitly.

Rogers will off set a bit of this with SportsNet NOW but I don't know how their numbers are on that front.

TSN really needs to get a streaming only service rolled out like yesterday. I don't even know if the CFL is allowed to seek one like Twitter  (their weekly show is there) under their contract.

Not having their product available to stream in the millenial market they wish to grow might as well be a blackout and we all know how that turned out.

Evil Doctor

Quote from: "Mightygoose"

TSN really needs to get a streaming only service rolled out like yesterday. I don't even know if the CFL is allowed to seek one like Twitter  (their weekly show is there) under their contract.

Not having their product available to stream in the millenial market they wish to grow might as well be a blackout and we all know how that turned out.

Isn't that what TSN Go is?

sugarholic81

Meanwhile in the USA, last night's game between Sask & Hamilton was unceremoniously booted off ESPN2 to ESPNews in favor of US women's softball... so not sure what the numbers are looking like down here but that doesn't bode well.  Hopefully they will promote another game onto ESPN2 later in the season.  I think they're supposed to show a certain number of games on ESPN2 during the season.

Paolo X

Quote from: "sugarholic81"
Meanwhile in the USA, last night's game between Sask & Hamilton was unceremoniously booted off ESPN2 to ESPNews in favor of US women's softball... so not sure what the numbers are looking like down here but that doesn't bode well.  Hopefully they will promote another game onto ESPN2 later in the season.  I think they're supposed to show a certain number of games on ESPN2 during the season.

I think it reflects how bad the match-up looked to be plus they probably caved in to the few raucous softball fans. I had no interest in streaming that game that late. I hate the 10PM ET start time for games. Only those in BC in my opinion have a legitimate reason for starting a game that late in eastern time.
Best Regards, Paolo

Users Online

103 Guests, 8 Users (6 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Sidney, bobo82, Mightygoose, tony, 15_championships, mycko75, Yahoo!, Google (5)

Most Online Today: 177. Most Online Ever: 225 (Aug 15 2017, 11:52 AM)