Mr. Pike

I can't find a CFL ratings thread under CFL talk so decided to start one .  

Last night the average viewership was  851,000 for Als /Riders game ........3 million tuned in a one point or another and it was highest rated opener since 2013.      Good news !

http://3downnation.com/2017/06/23/cfl-s ... ince-2013/

Mightygoose

Excellent number indeed.

I take it this includes RDS viewers too?

Last year's season opener was Ti-Cats at Argos in BMO opener which from I recalled was the most watched game in week 1. With all games in TSN and losing more subscribers to cord cutting, this is a good sign and hopefully more good things to come.

For those who lament on having Thursday games in the summer, there's the reason why

Mr. Pike

Quote from: "Mightygoose"
Excellent number indeed.

I take it this includes RDS viewers too?

Last year's season opener was Ti-Cats at Argos in BMO opener which from I recalled was the most watched game in week 1. With all games in TSN and losing more subscribers to cord cutting, this is a good sign and hopefully more good things to come.

For those who lament on having Thursday games in the summer, there's the reason why

Thats a good point M.G. (the RDS thing)  I would think these are  only TSN numbers but have no way of verifying that . Paulo  at CFL.ca would know for sure .   Maybe he will chime in and tell us .

TravelPat1

Great number to kickoff the season and an overtime game tonight.  Nice way to start the season.

depopulationINC

Quote from: "Mr. Pike"

Last night the average viewership was  851,000 for Als /Riders game ........3 million tuned in a one point or another and it was highest rated opener since 2013.      Good news !

Even more remarkable is IIRC 2013 opener was at the new Bomber facility...IGF...which would have been a big draw for many...this probably got some draw because of the DD situation.  Good sign none the less for sure though.

KevinRiley2

While tonight's game was great, it's in tough against a weak NHL draft and the Jays - who lost.  Add the fact that Ottawa does not draw well and I am not getting my hopes up.

Why is tomorrow's Eastern game on at 4???

Saturday night is empty and the Argos/Ticats could have a nice TV audience at 7.

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "Mr. Pike"

Thanks for the good news.   :thup:

OskeeweeneeVI

Quote from: "KevinRiley2"
While tonight's game was great, it's in tough against a weak NHL draft and the Jays - who lost.  Add the fact that Ottawa does not draw well and I am not getting my hopes up.

Saturday night is empty and the Argos/Ticats could have a nice TV audience at 7.
Love the kickoff at 4.  Have to work the next day.  Their Saturday kickoffs are at 4 later in the year.  IMO that's the best time for a live gate.

TravelPat1

I suspect the fact TFC played at BMO last night has something to do with it.  Not sure how fast they can turn around that stadium from soccer to football and back to soccer again (since TFC have another game Tuesday night).  It is not like some other stadiums with artificial turf where it is just a fairly quick scrub of lines and painting of new lines.  The process is a bit different I would assume on real grass plus parts of the soccer stands structures have to be moved off the artificial turf parts of the endzones to fit the football field in that stadium for Argos games.

Should be a busy few days for the BMO Field grounds crew and other staff at that stadium.

Mightygoose

Quote from: "TravelPat1"

I suspect the fact TFC played at BMO last night has something to do with it.  Not sure how fast they can turn around that stadium from soccer to football and back to soccer again (since TFC have another game Tuesday night).  It is not like some other stadiums with artificial turf where it is just a fairly quick scrub of lines and painting of new lines.  The process is a bit different I would assume on real grass plus parts of the soccer stands structures have to be moved off the artificial turf parts of the endzones to fit the football field in that stadium for Argos games.

Should be a busy few days for the BMO Field grounds crew and other staff at that stadium.

Yes that's the case for sure.

2 days are needed for Soccer to football so Saturday night is not available. 4 days are needed for football to soccer for MLS regular season  (Tuesday's game is leg 2 of the Canadian Championship)

Interesting note with TFC and MLS teams playing on Fridays. It's new for MLS this year which runs from the start of the season until the beginning of summer. It's to grow their TV audience and hopefully more $$ through it much like the CFL via TSN adding permanent Thursdays through the summer.

TFC fans I know much to the same CFL fans, (and even NFL fans re: Thursdays) don't seem to like the new day of the week...puts their weekly routine out of whack...maybe to 2 fan bases are cut closer to the same cloth people think!

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "OskeeweeneeVI"

Love the kickoff at 4.  Have to work the next day.  Their Saturday kickoffs are at 4 later in the year.  IMO that's the best time for a live gate.
Fair enough.

For some reason, I thought the game was on TODAY at 4 pm.  It's tomorrow.  I like Sunday at 4 as well.

KevinRiley2

No numbers leaked by the CFL for the remaining 3 games.  That can't be good.   :(

Cool

Quite a few Canada Day events as it is, and people may be out of town or up in cottage country...  Friday works...
Pull Together everyone

Grover

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Mightygoose

Quote from: "Grover"
Some interesting information in this article

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/f ... story.html

Good article and thanks for posting.

It makes a mention of a study of the Sports Business daily article on the increasing age of TV viewers across many sports in the past 10 years. Below is that link

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jour ... rends.aspx

PGA: Age 64 + 5 from 10 years ago
MLB:  Age 57 + 4 from 10 years ago
NFL: Age 50 + 4 from 10 years ago
NHL: Age 49 + 7 from 10 years ago
MLS: Age 40 + 1 from 10 years ago

So yes, the CFL does have some challenges in this regard but it's clear they're not alone either. At least they acknowledge it. They've announced a partnership with Twitter this week on their weekly show....a pre cursor to airing some games once the TSN deal is up?

Users Online

98 Guests, 13 Users (7 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
StormRider1, mycko75, Grover, DisplacedCatsFan, Mightygoose, MrLucky, Hamilton2005, RichardVeilleux, mr62cats, Count Floyd, nopa, Google (7)

Most Online Today: 178. Most Online Ever: 225 (Aug 15 2017, 11:52 AM)