ed ohmnes

Well if 3e split with b.c., and win both Winnipeg games we should be ok,.  But there's still a tough go in the west, these next 2 games will give us a better picture of where the team is.

GC Bound

Well the BC game last night was 'forgettable'.
If your team can't get any points until the 4th. quarter, that's not reassuring.
Regardless, beating BC anywhere, the way the Riders have developed (or have not), is not likely this year.
Next Sunday I'm sure will be a battle, but the Riders better enter the battle sooner then the 4th. Quarter!!

bowl450

here is my take on the team after 6 games,
Jones stated the we are still a couple of pieces short, on becoming a team. 
IMHO 2 of the  pieces are,
1 - D- Coordinator,
2 - O- Coordinator,
the Kevin Glenn experience has ended, not that he hasn't played well it's that the OC is brutal, and the receiver's that we have, our O packages should be a force to be reckoned with.
with our O-Line we need a mobile QB ( hello Brandon Bridge ), back their as they seem to crap the bed at the most inopportune time.
Kevin Glenn should be relegated to 3rd string, mentor and QB coach, ( I am not a Jarious Jackson fan )
our running game is great but underutilized. OC again.

The Defence,
3 man rush only works if you have the personnel, going with a 2 man rush against Ricky Ray in the red zone instant TD, what more can I say.
we are in desperate need of a Defensive Coordinator,  1 man wearing to many hats is a recipe for disaster, even though he has assistant GM's in place to deal with the administrative side  during the season, but he still has the final say.

Recruiting ?
seems like all we pick up is other teams castoffs,
can someone name starters who were brought in by the Jones regime, who were not on other teams rosters prior to coming here, other than Holley ?

bowl450

we are a Hide and Seem team, against  the eastern teams  we seem that can play with them, against the teams in our division we hide.
its not like we don't have the core player personnel, we are a full half season behind where I thought that we would be,
I thought that we would be at this stage at the end of last season with a full offseason to find players to fill in the voids.

StormRider1

I agree ... we need a new OC and a DC. I also think a new Coach, never wanted Jones here. With that said first off, Glenn has played well, considering how much time he has to run for his life. Our O line needs to stop and fill those holes other teams are getting through, it has improved, but not there yet. IMO we have one of the best Receiving cores in the league, with back-ups just as good. It has been just bad play calling from our crappy OC. I never understood the valve of 5 yard plays all game. Jones 3 man D also sucks, why do this when their QB will cut you to pieces, like Travis did against us last game. Our D line still does not get enough penetration when they do blitz. This needs to change, need big pressure on their QB. And our D still sucks the big one, slowly showing promise, but not fast enough.

The QB question, Do we keep playing Glenn or let Bridge take over. Glenn earned his start and has played pretty good for the most part. Bridge could be our next Starter, maybe time to use both in a game our season is done and we will not make play-offs again short of a massive miracle.

I would hate to see Glenn screwed over again like he has on so many teams, he seems to be a team player, and he really is a starter QB, just wish his INT ratio would drop. I also think his long throw may be well behind him as age takes over, I could be wrong.

Bridge looked good the last few plays, yes he is mobile, which I love, with a leaky O line this may work better for us. The kid shows great promise just need to let him play. Has a strong arm and throws pretty accurate. Needs experience.

So with that said, let them both split duties. Glenn does not get screwed over again, and Bridge gets the reps he needs. JMHO

GC Bound

Yes, I agree about KG, he has played 'well' and basically always has.!
He has also had a knack for throwing interceptions,
at the worst and unexpected time his whole career. He seems to loose focus for a moment. :-\
I think if we don't win in Regina against the Lions, it should be BB in QB for the next game, maybe his mobility could work better, and lets not forget about his accuracy and arm strength already displayed.

JimmytheGreek

I agree ... we need a new OC and a DC. I also think a new Coach, never wanted Jones here. With that said first off, Glenn has played well, considering how much time he has to run for his life. Our O line needs to stop and fill those holes other teams are getting through, it has improved, but not there yet. IMO we have one of the best Receiving cores in the league, with back-ups just as good. It has been just bad play calling from our crappy OC. I never understood the valve of 5 yard plays all game. Jones 3 man D also sucks, why do this when their QB will cut you to pieces, like Travis did against us last game. Our D line still does not get enough penetration when they do blitz. This needs to change, need big pressure on their QB. And our D still sucks the big one, slowly showing promise, but not fast enough.

The QB question, Do we keep playing Glenn or let Bridge take over. Glenn earned his start and has played pretty good for the most part. Bridge could be our next Starter, maybe time to use both in a game our season is done and we will not make play-offs again short of a massive miracle.

I would hate to see Glenn screwed over again like he has on so many teams, he seems to be a team player, and he really is a starter QB, just wish his INT ratio would drop. I also think his long throw may be well behind him as age takes over, I could be wrong.

Bridge looked good the last few plays, yes he is mobile, which I love, with a leaky O line this may work better for us. The kid shows great promise just need to let him play. Has a strong arm and throws pretty accurate. Needs experience.

So with that said, let them both split duties. Glenn does not get screwed over again, and Bridge gets the reps he needs. JMHO

I can't see Glenn not starting unless he is hurt until after the Banjo bowl. If we lose the next 3 out of 4 then that pretty much kills any hope of making the playoffs. I hope that we win of course against the Lions and at least split the LDC and BB (don't give any hope of beating the Eskimos in Edmonton)  but after that performance it may be asking a lot.

Jones has hitched his wagon to Glenn especially after the Young experiment failed, and will most likely stick with it until all playoff chances are exhausted, which as I said could be as soon as the middle of next month. After that and if we are done then he needs to start Bridge at least a couple of games and if he does nothing then I would be looking at Williams if they think he has any ability or chance of being a starter one day. Not much point in starting Glenn if we are once again not in the playoff hunt and yes we need to know what is what as far as Bridge is concerned and even Williams. The last thing I think any fans wants is to go into the off season and have no clue on our status for the starting qb next year. If Bridge doesn't have it then fine but at least give him a chance to make his own future. The same could be said about Williams also. If they both show they can't get it done or have no chance of getting to the point of doing so then we at least know it and can move on. No I do not want to see Young back or waste zero time on that BS. If Bridge and Williams are not good then I guess the price for Franklin just went way up. The problem with that unless Jones trade for Franklin's rights before the FA then their are certainly other teams going to looking at grabbing him. The Argos I would think would be in the the mix very hard and the price for Franklin could get a bit nuts.           

ed ohmnes

Get nuts for a guy who may not even make it,  sure he looks good behind edmontons team, but what about our team? He might not want to get killed coming here.

depopulationINC

here is my take on the team after 6 games,
Jones stated the we are still a couple of pieces short, on becoming a team.  
IMHO 2 of the  pieces are,
1 - D- Coordinator,
2 - O- Coordinator,
the Kevin Glenn experience has ended, not that he hasn't played well it's that the OC is brutal, and the receiver's that we have, our O packages should be a force to be reckoned with.
with our O-Line we need a mobile QB ( hello Brandon Bridge ), back their as they seem to crap the bed at the most inopportune time.
Kevin Glenn should be relegated to 3rd string, mentor and QB coach, ( I am not a Jarious Jackson fan )
our running game is great but underutilized. OC again.

The Defence,
3 man rush only works if you have the personnel, going with a 2 man rush against Ricky Ray in the red zone instant TD, what more can I say.
we are in desperate need of a Defensive Coordinator,  1 man wearing to many hats is a recipe for disaster, even though he has assistant GM's in place to deal with the administrative side  during the season, but he still has the final say.

Recruiting ?
seems like all we pick up is other teams castoffs,
can someone name starters who were brought in by the Jones regime, who were not on other teams rosters prior to coming here, other than Holley ?

Yeah...still not liking the 3 man front...and while the D overall actually played 'ok' for how much they were left on the field the fact that they had BC inside the 5 four times and not once could they cause a 2 and out is more than concerning.  Muamba was friken horrid in the game....Sam E was not great but it was his first full game back there so I give some grace.
MacAdoo...I stated before he was even in town that it was a downgrade and that has obviously not changed...he is not a great OC.
Glenn has been very solid in there but I totally agree Bridge should get a look.  They should have shook things up mid 2nd quarter in that BC game and at the wort Glenn should have been given 1 possession to start the 2nd half and then a change made if he faltered
As far as recruiting...I personally don't care if they played somewhere else...that is still recruiting and seeing value or ability to pick someone up.  as for guys they have brought in...I was a huge Edwards fan, Sam E is not in form after one game back but he showed well last season, Rodgers has been more than acceptable though he needs to fricken squeeze the odd one, Butler has shown some promise for only having played a couple games, Coleman has actually probably been the best on the OL, A Grant filled in nicely and could be of high value down the road as injuries happen, absolutely nothing wrong with Holley, While I am not a huge ACL fan he is far from a bust.  When it comes to nationals...I think their drafts and some of the pickups have been very good.

Abendschan

If at 3-5 after the Eskie game, a winning streak has to happen, albeit starting with the Blue Bombers to have any hope to claim the wildcard/crossover spot. Still faith in the Roughriders, always.
BC Lions vs Roughriders of 1968-69 -70 played on a grass field at Old Empire Stadium.
Us kids sat on the grass incline at the back of the north end zone.

GC Bound

If at 3-5 after the Eskie game, a winning streak has to happen, albeit starting with the Blue Bombers to have any hope to claim the wildcard/crossover spot. Still faith in the Roughriders, always.
Well if not 3-5
then 2-6..... Mmmm
and again "a come back of the ages" will be needed.
I just can't get on board with this season's Game planning, Coaching and execution.
For my taste, this season has lacked a number of elements that are required to be a championship team:  a creative and effective OC, and the dropping of the " 3 man" Defensive line just to mention 2
IMHO the CFL is a Passing League and 3 men will never consistantly get the pressure on the QB required to 'Not get picked apart' by the many excellent QB's in this league.
Go Riders Go!

JimmytheGreek

Well if not 3-5
then 2-6..... Mmmm
I just can't get on board with this season's Game planning, Coaching and execution.
For my taste, this season has lacked a number of elements that are required to be a championship team:  a creative and effective OC, and the dropping of the " 3 man" Defensive line just to mention 2
IMHO the CFL is a Passing League and 3 men will never consistantly get the pressure on the QB required to 'Not get picked apart' by the many excellent QB's in this league.
Go Riders Go!
The only way a 3 man front is effective is if you have 2-3 very big and very quick guys that can collapse the pocket in a hurry. We don't have those players and yet Jones insists on using it. Ted Laurant, Seawell, types can make it work but even then it isn't wise to use it as often as we do and we don't have even one of those types of players and yet use it probably 40% (just a guess)of the time .
If Jennings is the starter which it looks like will be the case and they rush only 3 he could make last  weeks beating look like a warmup for what is to come. Jennings strengths is he has an arm but he also has the wheels. His weakness can be at times his accuracy. You have to keep Jennings in the pocket and get to him quick, don't do either and he can extend plays either by running it himself or giving his receivers enough time to get open. The 3 man front plays right into his strong points because with only  3 rushing it is easier for a mobile qb to break containment especially if that 3 man front is not good enough to get in the backfield quickly. Lulay I think is a better passer and a bit more accurate although he can run he chooses his spots, now where I think Jennings being still young will not hesitate to tuck it and run if what he see isn't to his liking a bit more. Allowing Jennings 5-6 steamboats and one of those good receivers he has as targets will most likely be open and that most likely  isn't going to end well if your a Rider fan.
Honestly I don't think we win this one unless Jennings is a bit tentative about  his shoulder or is a bit rusty. If he isn't either of those I don't think our defense is good enough to contain the Lion's run or receivers. The offense simply has to sustain drives and get points because if they **** the bed like last week this one is over by the 3rd quarter I have a feeling.
I'm not saying the Riders can't win this game but I certainly won't bet they will.         

depopulationINC

Well if not 3-5
then 2-6..... Mmmm
Go Riders Go!
The only way a 3 man front is effective is if you have 2-3 very big and very quick guys that can collapse the pocket in a hurry. We don't have those players and yet Jones insists on using it. Ted Laurant, Seawell, types can make it work but even then it isn't wise to use it as often as we do and we don't have even one of those types of players and yet use it probably 40% (just a guess)of the time .
If Jennings is the starter which it looks like will be the case and they rush only 3 he could make last  weeks beating look like a warmup for what is to come. Jennings strengths is he has an arm but he also has the wheels. His weakness can be at times his accuracy. You have to keep Jennings in the pocket and get to him quick, don't do either and he can extend plays either by running it himself or giving his receivers enough time to get open. The 3 man front plays right into his strong points because with only  3 rushing it is easier for a mobile qb to break containment especially if that 3 man front is not good enough to get in the backfield quickly. Lulay I think is a better passer and a bit more accurate although he can run he chooses his spots, now where I think Jennings being still young will not hesitate to tuck it and run if what he see isn't to his liking a bit more. Allowing Jennings 5-6 steamboats and one of those good receivers he has as targets will most likely be open and that most likely  isn't going to end well if your a Rider fan.
Honestly I don't think we win this one unless Jennings is a bit tentative about  his shoulder or is a bit rusty. If he isn't either of those I don't think our defense is good enough to contain the Lion's run or receivers. The offense simply has to sustain drives and get points because if they **** the bed like last week this one is over by the 3rd quarter I have a feeling.
I'm not saying the Riders can't win this game but I certainly won't bet they will.        
got the ends...not the tackle.  4 man front I still 100% believe this is one of the best DLs in the league....when they use it they get pressure.  Early to say but I think they have the man they need for a 3 man front now.  We find out if James is for real tomorrow but I think he will be.  Conversely, I would like to see Adusei get a boo at it next year.

Abendschan

Cool, Ed Gainey having a 3 pick-off game so far late in the first half - 29-0 Riders, I'm shocked.
BC Lions vs Roughriders of 1968-69 -70 played on a grass field at Old Empire Stadium.
Us kids sat on the grass incline at the back of the north end zone.

depopulationINC

Cool, Ed Gainey having a 3 pick-off game so far late in the first half - 29-0 Riders, I'm shocked.
4 for a record
plus the fumble recovery and had a very good chance at one more plus sniped one away from Carter....which was just funny to see lol
Lions went after what has been the weakness for the Riders right out of the gate an the Riders were prepared. 
I speculated that they might have their man at nose tackle now based on a few practices this week that he was in.  Really really looks like James is that man
I have been ranting about Moncrief since being a late arrival in camp and he finally played...it is early but it rather seems my hopes on him might be true.  I was extremely good out there.  Nose for the ball...had a couple really nice coverages....the INT...some nice hits.  He just stepped in and that SAM spot looked entirely different.  The biggest thing IMO was not even necessarily his actually 'results' from playing but how he impacted Muamba.  IMO this was Muamba's best game by a landslide and I think that is because of insta chemistry and not feeling like he had to do too much.
When I saw that Moncrief was in and Butler was moving to the secondary I was pretty pumped about the D and it was the best I felt about the D all season going in...question mark was how James would fair and he did very well...he was a force when in.  Going in this was the first secondary tabled that I didn't have a sinking feeling in my stomach when I saw it on paper.
Pressure by the front all game was insane...really seemed like they were mixing it up a lot...lots and lots of looks up front.  Who knew pressure make a secondary look better lol.

OL...well...Dennis moving inside was huge...He is banged up at the moment and it is limiting him on the edge, so this was a pretty smart move even though it sucks to have all that national depth sitting there.  Campbell stepped in and showed why many were so pumped when he was supposed to be a Rider last season...looked dang good for 1.5 years off.  I know I poke on Clark...just sayin the line looked pretty good.

Jones looks fabulous on what was already a very respectable return team...gotta wonder what will happen with Owens.

Not to take anything away from this win because they played great...a few things to zone in on but you will always have that...but need to see:
- 2 wins in a row
- a road win
- if the look lost after a bye week

get a chance to see a stab at all of that next week

It is tough for a team to win back to back games heads up...but remember, the Riders did 3 return game series last season and went 0 for 6....hopefully this is a big progression.  I know BC was not at their best...but it is not like the Riders "won" they dominated....first time one can truly say that in a few seasons and this was hands down the most prepared this team has looked going into a game.  Plus, they got their +16 so win the season series.

It is a shame it is a bye week (and complete BS that they have 2 in the first half of the season)...though I guess on the bright side there is no dwelling for the week off so guys should actually enjoy it and maybe get out and bond some more.  Hell of a lot easier in a bye when you showed well.

Users Online

120 Guests, 2 Users (9 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Defense_Rules, of course, Yahoo!, Google (8)

Most Online Today: 163. Most Online Ever: 225 (Aug 15 2017, 11:52 AM)