depopulationINC

Quote from: "ed ohmnes"
Newsome signs in ottawa

Yup...good on him.  Good player who deserves more opportunities.   Was looking forward to a good season from him....second year of the new DE position and was looking like he really upped his game.  Unfortunate it was not worked out...it could have been but was a perfect storm of non-play related issues.  Hope he does well with the fresh start...wish he was still here.

GC Bound

Well after watching Hamilton try to match Rider play I feel the team  has definitely made a turn.
Very good game with only a few major screw ups
Score could have been higher if Glen wouldn't have thrown behind Demski.
Best game so far. :cowboy:

Squish

As good as we looked against Hamilton, we looked really bad against a West opponent. If the league were full of Hamilton calibre teams, we'd be right in the mix, but in reality, we are barely better than Hamilton, and we are probably the 2 non-playoff teams for 2017 unless something changes, and fast.

GC Bound

I just do not see any improvement in consistency and disciplined play.
Things are not improving that can be confirmed by WINS is exactly my point.
I don't see this Rider team, all of a sudden winning games.
I'll believe it when "I see it", for this season anyway :cowboy:

bohdon

FWIW I ain't got much faith in next season either, not with the status quo anyway.

Would love to see a DC.......NEXT GAME! Then maybe some slight resemblance of a dim light.

StormRider1

I blame this on Jones, all we needed was a revamped D, he destroyed everything... I never wanted him here, don't like him, never will even if we get a cup... Jones is the cancer here... this team sucks there are some bright spots but not many... again, cheap money cheap players, cheap team!!

Squish

Quote from: "StormRider1"
I blame this on Jones, all we needed was a revamped D, he destroyed everything... I never wanted him here, don't like him, never will even if we get a cup... Jones is the cancer here... this team sucks there are some bright spots but not many... again, cheap money cheap players, cheap team!!

I think its still early for this level of discord, however we're getting close. Admittedly, when we hired him (and Murphy) I didn't know a whole lot about them. Just that they were supposedly hotshots in their respective roles, and Jones was fresh off coaching a pretty dominant Eskimo team. Sounded like a plan to me.

Quickly though, with the deals he was making, and moreso the mistakes he was making, I developed a lack of trust in his judgement. AS it turns out, yeah, that gut feeling back then was probably right. I think what we are seeing with him is the "peter principle" in action. He's been promoted beyond his capabilities, and its adversely affecting the things he's actually good at, like being a DC.

I'm still at an over/under of 8 wins on the season for his retention or not. Its looking though, like he's not going to make it.

Squish

Quote from: "Abendschan"
Quote from: "Squish"
Quote from: "StormRider1"

I think its still early for this level of discord, however we're getting close. Admittedly, when we hired him (and Murphy) I didn't know a whole lot about them. Just that they were supposedly hotshots in their respective roles, and Jones was fresh off coaching a pretty dominant Eskimo team. Sounded like a plan to me.

Quickly though, with the deals he was making, and moreso the mistakes he was making, I developed a lack of trust in his judgement. AS it turns out, yeah, that gut feeling back then was probably right. I think what we are seeing with him is the "peter principle" in action. He's been promoted beyond his capabilities, and its adversely affecting the things he's actually good at, like being a DC.

I'm still at an over/under of 8 wins on the season for his retention or not. Its looking though, like he's not going to make it.
Roughriders need to go 7-7 to get to 8-10 and Quite Rightly includes back to back wins over Winnipeg to get there. Winning ways at home begin to happen, starting with the Argos a little later and Rider team will be fine.

If we get those back-to-back Winnipeg wins, plus take another off hapless Hamilton, get fired up for Montreal late in the year, that makes 4. Toronto next weekend is 5. Jeez, we are going to have to win against some of the big 3 in the west to do it. I just don't know.

GC Bound

Wow, when I see the projected necessity to even get close, it's in reality staggering!
Any massive come back at this point would definitely be one for the books.
Keep in mind, every other team is getting better also, given the Riders are slower to progress (given no wins), they have to now be feeling the "catch up" pressure.

IMO the Riders need to win a couple straight at least, Right now.
Other wise its likely we'll be saying "they were close" all season long.
At this point one can only hope for the come back of the ages. :cowboy:

bedrock

I agree that the Rider's are looking pretty grim and TSN's Chris Schultz's prediction in week 1 that the Riders will be last in the league seems to hold a lot of weight. It don't appear that Jones was the quick solution to building a competitive team in his 2'nd year, and doubt if he'll make a huge difference in another year. Craig Reynolds and management must also accept some of the heat with the decision making and how they awarded titles and contracts to there God of the future Jones. So the million dollar question is how do you fix a wreck that was suppose to fix the last wreck that won't bankrupt the whole organization.  Can an organization  like the Riders, since were forced to pay Jones just strip his powers and sideline him, perhaps he could do some push-ups like he made his Edmonton players. That is if by chance there was another great HC willing to take a stab at building a winning team in Sask within another 2-3 years. Sorry about my bit of a rant but as we move onward poorly why are we not at least trying to provide some game experience to a young quarter back and at least have something to show for it. Providing he can throw the ball over his shoulder as he runs for his life, lol.

bowl450

the Rider BOD and  Craig Reynolds have some difficult decisions that need to be addressed.

we are in the middle of a 3 year rebuild, so far the outlook doesn't look good at all as I thought that Chris Jones team would be farther ahead that what they currently are.
Calgary is a team that did not play well against us and yet dominated.

what is the next step that Craig Reynolds is tasked with ?
#1 evaluate the VP of football operations,
#2 sit down with his VP to evaluate the GM
#3  sit down with his VP and GM  to evaluate the HC

1 person in multiple roles creates more problems when faced with difficult decisions.

to reduce the 1 persons role  could be more counter productive than productive.

Squish

AS I said, we aren't at the "fire everybody" point yet, not even close. But that said, a shakeup in the organization could happen, and happen quite soon if our fortunes don't improve quickly. By a shakeup, I mean maybe installing a DC, either from within (Scheper?) or external to the org, (anybody but Etch). A change at OC could also happen with some other internal and external possibilities out there. Its all up to Reynolds though, because I can't see Jones ego allowing him to voluntarily give up any of the roles that he holds.

ed ohmnes

depopulationINC

Quote from: "Squish"
AS I said, we aren't at the "fire everybody" point yet, not even close. But that said, a shakeup in the organization could happen, and happen quite soon if our fortunes don't improve quickly. By a shakeup, I mean maybe installing a DC, either from within (Scheper?) or external to the org, (anybody but Etch). A change at OC could also happen with some other internal and external possibilities out there. Its all up to Reynolds though, because I can't see Jones ego allowing him to voluntarily give up any of the roles that he holds.

Jackson would be the only option at OC right now.  
I don't see anything changing anywhere anytime soon with this team.  The board will be patient until week 10, then apply some pressure if things are not looking up.  Right now he still has their general support.

GC Bound

At the beginning of the season I said "I had a feeling" only a feeling based on the preseason games they lost and in reality looked less organized then the teams they played.
At this point even though I had my doubts I hoped I was wrong.
I think "shock" and "disbelief" would describe many fans feelings right now.
If we win 3 in a row we'll be at 500 (4&4) and potentially 3rd in the west but more likely 4th. after 8 games.
Still not crowd shattering I have to say.
Still hoping they get 'respectable'.  :cowboy:

Users Online

115 Guests, 3 Users (15 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Johnny Ticat slayer, ed ohmnes, Yahoo!, Google (14)

Most Online Today: 157. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)