nowhereman

depopulationINC

biggest surprises for still being there IMO:
Moore (soon to be on the 6 I assume)
Sam Williams

Biggest surprises on cuts IMO:
Roberts (thinking he will be back)
Gagne, only because I am not sure who the backup long snapper is now.

Grondin should be picked up by someone else.  With the riders #2 pick coming and using the supplemental on another, he was in tough.  I believe he has potential to be a contributor on any team though.

Abendschan

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/06/17/argos-rel ... rew-willy/

QB Drew Willy just released from Toronto twenty five minutes ago, perhaps Jones takes a look at him?
Empire Stadium Nov. 1st 1970  Autographed - Jack Abendschan

Niagara Als

Yes I too think that Jones should pick him up.

depopulationINC

Quote from: "Abendschan"
https://www.cfl.ca/2017/06/17/argos-release-quarterback-drew-willy/

QB Drew Willy just released from Toronto twenty five minutes ago, perhaps Jones takes a look at him?

Yeah, was wondering if he would TBH.  I could see him kicking the tires for a low contract (like base and a PR spot).  My money says he at least gets a workout if not an offer.  Problem is that he just let Bennett go after a great camp, because he was waiting for him to "bounce back" after a bad game (he actually said this 4 days into practice last week...meaning after 4 days the kid's head still wasn't right and he looked bad in practice)...Willy's issue seems to be his head not being on right after a beating he took for the better part of one season with a horrid OL...never been the same since.  Seems a case of mentality for both.

JimmytheGreek

God help us if he does. Willy is done. He is suffering from shell shock being a bomber. Argos were insane to go after him and giving up so much. Cost Scott and Barker their jobs.  Hmm second thought perhaps Jones should go after him...

JimmytheGreek

Quote from: "depopulationINC"

Yeah, was wondering if he would TBH.  I could see him kicking the tires for a low contract (like base and a PR spot).  My money says he at least gets a workout if not an offer.  Problem is that he just let Bennett go after a great camp, because he was waiting for him to "bounce back" after a bad game (he actually said this 4 days into practice last week...meaning after 4 days the kid's head still wasn't right and he looked bad in practice)...Willy's issue seems to be his head not being on right after a beating he took for the better part of one season with a horrid OL...never been the same since.  Seems a case of mentality for both.

Disappointed that Bennett is gone. Yeah he didn't look good in the 1st game and coughed up the  ball too much, still was hoping he would get a PR spot and given time to see if he could get it together. Certainly not sad to see the Vince experiment terminated. Glad to see Williams stick though and I hope he catches on fast as he seems to have some good skill sets in his game. Yeah not much of a sample to go off but I was impressed the way he avoided the sack and still muscle a strike to a receiver while in the grasp of a defender. Too bad the receiver coughed it up anyways, but the kid showed poise hanging in there with a guy hanging on to him.

Allen didn't take getting cut so well. Can't blame him considering he did a good job of what he was suppose to do but never got a chance to run the ball. I think the reason he was told for being cut was a bit of a cop out too and he wasn't buying it.

depopulationINC

Quote from: "JimmytheGreek "

Disappointed that Bennett is gone. Yeah he didn't look good in the 1st game and coughed up the  ball too much, still was hoping he would get a PR spot and given time to see if he could get it together. Certainly not sad to see the Vince experiment terminated. Glad to see Williams stick though and I hope he catches on fast as he seems to have some good skill sets in his game. Yeah not much of a sample to go off but I was impressed the way he avoided the sack and still muscle a strike to a receiver while in the grasp of a defender. Too bad the receiver coughed it up anyways, but the kid showed poise hanging in there with a guy hanging on to him.

Allen didn't take getting cut so well. Can't blame him considering he did a good job of what he was suppose to do but never got a chance to run the ball. I think the reason he was told for being cut was a bit of a cop out too and he wasn't buying it.

Bennett looked 4th sting by a fair bit for the last week...he never bounced back after that game.  They were obviously disappointed in his showing, but not for a second do I think that was what got him released...he was still in 3rd until he couldn't get out of his own head all week and started being hesitant with everything in practice.  Real shame because the skill and everything else seems to be there...but Williams shows some promise and he seems to bounce back fairly well to things...he threw a pick in that game but it seemed water under the bridge on the next series.  Tough for a coach to maintain confidence they can rely on a QB after in game adversity in that situation.

For Allen I think he was less pissed about being cut and more about being told it was because he was told it was because he was not there long enough...and I would be pissed to.  He is a vet, not some rookie trying to impress enough to make the PR or a future callback.  He was the best blocker and the staff has been vocal that is the key thing for their RB...so clearly he was there long enough....that is the problem.  It is a complete BS reason...just tell the man you want to go another direction and be done with it...say you ended up liking another guy's production or that Morris showed enough that you were comfortable going Canadian once Lafrance is back.  If Allen "wasn't there long enough" yet picked up his assignments better than anyone then they had no intent of ever keeping him if that was the reason that they are sticking with...I don't believe it is the only reason, simply a pathetic excuse given by someone...I would be livid and it is not going to sit well with a few players around the league...that is the kind of stuff that players remember.

JimmytheGreek

For Allen I think he was less pissed about being cut and more about being told it was because he was told it was because he was not there long enough...and I would be pissed to.  He is a vet, not some rookie trying to impress enough to make the PR or a future callback.  He was the best blocker and the staff has been vocal that is the key thing for their RB...so clearly he was there long enough....that is the problem.  It is a complete BS reason...just tell the man you want to go another direction and be done with it...say you ended up liking another guy's production or that Morris showed enough that you were comfortable going Canadian once Lafrance is back.  If Allen "wasn't there long enough" yet picked up his assignments better than anyone then they had no intent of ever keeping him if that was the reason that they are sticking with...I don't believe it is the only reason, simply a pathetic excuse given by someone...I would be livid and it is not going to sit well with a few players around the league...that is the kind of stuff that players remember.[/quote]

You and I agree for once on this one. I mean it wasn't like they didn't know what Allen had to offer when they brought him in, decent blocking and reliable gains on runs. Now if they expected that he had all of a sudden turned into a Sheets or a Cornish and were disappointed he didn't then that is on the coaches for having unrealistic expectations.  My understanding is that he jumped into things well and was picking up his assignments really quickly so what more did they want? I mean its not like they utilize the run anyways because Mac is a moron that either tore the running plays pages out of the book or someone pulled a fast one and wrote them in Swahili so he couldn't read them, so  having a back like Sheets or Cornish would be a waste of time anyways. Allen was good at  qb protection and that is what they asked of him so obviously not there long enough is total crap. I would in fact think that it points out he should have been kept being he was doing well especially considering the short time he had to pick it up.

Look at Ken doll last year and how much time we wasted on him and he sucked from beginning to end, yet Allen did what was asked of him and he gets cut? Nice one Jones. I have a feeling that since Bell got cut he will be brought in for a look although from the sounds of it he didn't have a good camp and was available all during FA.

I also agree this doesn't look good on the team and no Allen shouldn't have went off like he did on twitter as it may hurt his chances with another team, still can't blame him for feeling that he got railroaded by the Riders. Don't bring a vet in and then give him the reason they did. I agree things probably would have went a lot smoother if they just said they were going in another direction and perhaps hint not to stray too far. Telling Allen he wasn't there long enough was just a chicken **** reason and he knows it and so does everyone else.

StormRider1

I will say it once again, Cheap pay, cheap players, cheap team, Jones destroyed what was good, and now the whole damn team sucks, and I am surprised Baggs and Rosie ,Clarke and Labatte are still here, they where part of team pre Jones... the Puttz!!  I am not a fan of Allen, but that was bull crap!! Last season for Jones... yeahhhhhhhh  as we will again miss play-offs.

JimmytheGreek

Quote from: "StormRider1"
I will say it once again, Cheap pay, cheap players, cheap team, Jones destroyed what was good, and now the whole damn team sucks, and I am surprised Baggs and Rosie ,Clarke and Labatte are still here, they where part of team pre Jones... the Puttz!!  I am not a fan of Allen, but that was bull crap!! Last season for Jones... yeahhhhhhhh  as we will again miss play-offs.

Careful grasshopper, the season isn't over yet.

depopulationINC

This has potential to be one of the best D lines the team has had in years...since before the expansion draft anyways.  The secondary has the #1 pass defender in the league in Gainey from 2016 and Rodgers looks like he might be better...he was in camp anyways.  Loss of Cox hurts...so field side needs work....it is the concern.  Muamba is far from a cheap guy at MLB and they have one of the top couple DEs in the league in Jefferson...but roll with the "cheap" thing.

On O they picked up one of the best receivers in the game and the reining OLman of the year plus a solid vet at OG.

Cheap...riiiiiiiiight.  what...3 cuts he has made are starting elsewhere?  Chick...more than adequately replaced.  Dressler....more than adequately replaced.  Durant...yep...probably a gap there.

JimmytheGreek

This has potential to be one of the best D lines the team has had in years...since before the expansion draft anyways.  The secondary has the #1 pass defender in the league in Gainey from 2016 and Rodgers looks like he might be better...he was in camp anyways.  Loss of Cox hurts...so field side needs work....it is the concern.  Muamba is far from a cheap guy at MLB and they have one of the top couple DEs in the league in Jefferson...but roll with the "cheap" thing.

On O they picked up one of the best receivers in the game and the reining OLman of the year plus a solid vet at OG.

Cheap...riiiiiiiiight.  what...3 cuts he has made are starting elsewhere?  Chick...more than adequately replaced.  Dressler....more than adequately replaced.  Durant...yep...probably a gap there.

Now don't be sad, cause two out of three ain't bad.   ;)

depopulationINC

Quote from: "JimmytheGreek "

Now don't be sad, cause two out of three ain't bad.   ;)

I would take this roster every time over 2015's...0 hesitation.  I would rather it be a different QB, but I am "ok" with Glenn....he fits a quick hitter O pretty well...I would say much better than DD in all honesty...a lot of other things that he does not bring to the table, but the foundation of this O is something he excels at historically.

Users Online

102 Guests, 1 User (20 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
toddstattoo, Yahoo! (2), Google (18)

Most Online Today: 149. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)