slimjim2

Quote from: "Evil Doctor"
Quote from: "ticat1"
Cause i remember it very differently. Seem to remember it was city council that was to blame for that foolishness. He protested against putting it on the west harbor and with good reason. THAT would have been a serious problem.

Well you would be wrong on that. Young was the foolish one.  It was city council that was paying the freight, and Young should have accepted it graciously, but no, he had to throw a tantrum, made a bunch of silly demands and ended up with an inferior stadium at an inferior site.

Let's not open the stadium debate again,  but.   ...................the old IWS site was selected because it was the ONLY site that could be ready in time given the timelines by the Pan Am committee.
The West Harbour would have been locked into environmental reviews, OMB reviews, Zoning reviews and there was the threat of local resident challenges in court that may have delayed it for years.     Parking problems, access to the site no transportation in place etc

The old site was already approved, zoned and plumbed, drainage, electric etc and ready with transportation already in place.
Because the stadium was funded mainly by the provincial  government and the province managed the construction for the Pan Am games,  the timelines were tight,  it was -   " build it by these dates or lose funding".  
It was up to the city to select a site that was approved for a stadium and they only had one site that met the timelines.

Hammertown Proud

no one who lives in the city, and is not a james st north millennial, wanted the stadium at west harbour.

would have been great by the waterpark on the qew.

the existing location was the 2nd best location.

bob young is a hero in Hamilton.

if you're reading this mr young, THANK YOU !!!

slimjim2

Quote from: "Hammertown Proud"
no one who lives in the city, and is not a james st north millennial, wanted the stadium at west harbour.

would have been great by the waterpark on the qew.

the existing location was the 2nd best location.

bob young is a hero in Hamilton.

if you're reading this mr young, THANK YOU !!!

Yes, but the waterpark area would have been a nightmare to get to.    One single land road going in from the beach strip area?   probably needed a major highway interchange put in.   No bus service in that area,  no parking except for possibly the other side of the QEW with a pedestrian walkway.   It couldn't have worked.

Grover

Quote from: "slimjim2"
Quote from: "Evil Doctor"
Quote from: "ticat1"
Cause i remember it very differently. Seem to remember it was city council that was to blame for that foolishness. He protested against putting it on the west harbor and with good reason. THAT would have been a serious problem.

Well you would be wrong on that. Young was the foolish one.  It was city council that was paying the freight, and Young should have accepted it graciously, but no, he had to throw a tantrum, made a bunch of silly demands and ended up with an inferior stadium at an inferior site.

Let's not open the stadium debate again,  but.   ...................the old IWS site was selected because it was the ONLY site that could be ready in time given the timelines by the Pan Am committee.
The West Harbour would have been locked into environmental reviews, OMB reviews, Zoning reviews and there was the threat of local resident challenges in court that may have delayed it for years.     Parking problems, access to the site no transportation in place etc

The old site was already approved, zoned and plumbed, drainage, electric etc and ready with transportation already in place.
Because the stadium was funded mainly by the provincial  government and the province managed the construction for the Pan Am games,  the timelines were tight,  it was -   " build it by these dates or lose funding".  
It was up to the city to select a site that was approved for a stadium and they only had one site that met the timelines.

This exactly ^^^^^
and it was only approved in the last few days before the expiry of the 3rd and final drop dead date issued by Pan AM or the Stadium would have had to be built in another City.

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Aerial

Quote from: "Hammertown Proud"
no one who lives in the city, and is not a james st north millennial, wanted the stadium at west harbour.

would have been great by the waterpark on the qew.

the existing location was the 2nd best location.

bob young is a hero in Hamilton.

if you're reading this mr young, THANK YOU !!!

 :thup:  The existing location is iconic in many respects due to history alone.  

What is most unfortunate though, in the city of Hamilton, are politicians that have a smugness about them where they weren't able to engage open communication with the Tiger-Cats for whatever reason.  I don't get how politicians didn't seem to want open communication with the Cats on the stadium issue, boggles the mind.  And we are seeing this with the LRT, a much bigger and costlier venture.  Hamilton city council is dysfunctional and has lacked leadership in so many ways.

West Harbour, my guess, probably would have been "capped" on the cheap and a much bigger problem with toxic soil and further down into the soil would have surfaced, if you will, not long after creating a nightmare.  I think it was fortunate the stadium never was built there.  That site needs to be properly cleaned with no timelines, it just needs to be done correctly once and for all.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Hammertown Proud

completely agreed.

just how many more "backyards" and other lots in that area will be found full of toxic waste?

that area is scary.

The Last Word

So in a recent newspaper article, the Caretaker states that winning is secondary to entertainment!  No wonder the ticats have experienced a record Grey Cup drought under his ownership.  Attitudes like that will trickle down to lower levels of management all the way to the players.

If my owner doesn't make winning the #1 priority why should I!?

2ez

Quote from: "The Last Word"
So in a recent newspaper article, the Caretaker states that winning is secondary to entertainment!  No wonder the ticats have experienced a record Grey Cup drought under his ownership.  Attitudes like that will trickle down to lower levels of management all the way to the players.

If my owner doesn't make winning the #1 priority why should I!?
Lol do people forget the Cats were in the Grey Cup back to back years...wasn't long ago it was 2014-2015... and very easily could have been champions had Taylor Reed just left his man alone?

Anyone who thinks Kent Austin doesn't want to win clearly has never witnessed a Cats game with him on the sideline. Anyone who thinks Zach doesn't want to win clearly didn't watch last Sunday's game. I don't get how some people lack the rationalization that Bob Young is an owner, his priorities are different than a player or coach.

I was just about to ask if you honestly believe what you said, but I think I already know the answer...this is why I avoid the the board outside of Cats game day.

I'll leave everybody with this food for thought, please explain

1985: Tiger-Cats record - 8-8, first in East, lost in Grey Cup...average attendance 14,991
1986: Tiger-Cats record - 9-8-1, Grey Cup Champs...average attendance 17,231
1989: Tiger-Cats record - 12-6, lost in Grey Cup...average attendance 17,233

Those aren't good numbers, despite a lot of winning that the Cats were doing in the 1980s (aside from the actual Grey Cup  :lol )

Fast forward through some very lean years in the 90s

1998: Tiger-Cats record - 12-5-1 ...average attendance 18,908
1999: Tiger-Cats record - 11-7 ...average attendance 21,042
2000: Tiger-Cats record - 9-9...average attendance 20,007
2001: Tiger-Cats record - 11-7...average attendance 18,497
2002: Tiger-Cats record - 7-11...average attendance 17,698
2003: Tiger-Cats record - 1-17...average attendance 14,863
2004: Tiger-Cats record - 9-8-1...average attendance 27,853
2005: Tiger-Cats record - 5-13...average attendance 28,002
2006: Tiger-Cats record - 4-14...average attendance 26,730
2007: Tiger-Cats record - 3-15...average attendance 23,200
2008: Tiger-Cats record - 3-15...average attendance 20,773

If you're from Hamilton, you probably remember that spike in attendance, and you also probably remember the main reason why. If this simple chart doesn't illustrate to you that winning doesn't mean everything to an owner, I don't know what will. Under Bob Young, the Cats have only had one season with a lower average that the last time we actually won the Grey Cup, and as everyone likes to point out, we haven't had the best luck during his tenure.

If you're a player or coach, you wouldn't give a rats ass about how many people are watching, but as an owner you better believe you want to keep fans in the stands whether you are winning or not, and Bob Young's team has done a great job of that when they had too.

Can't believe I even have to explain this when we have the Argos on life support despite being a pretty good team for majority of last 10 years.

drummer_god

2012 and 2013 were the only good years the argos have had in the last 10 years.

2010, maybe, but they had Lemon as QB, so we knew it was a bad year despite the 9-9 record.

The Last Word

Ticats humiliated at Mosaic by what should be the worst team in the CFL..then again the worst team in the CFL may very well be the Ticats after watching that dreadful performance.  Kevin Glenn looked like the second coming of Anthony Calvillo - it takes a awful kind of performance from a defense to extract that kind of performance from the CFL's tiniest QB.

The curse of the Caretaker is real Ticat fans.  This game is proof of that.

BCRiderFan

Quote from: "The Last Word"
Ticats humiliated at Mosaic by what should be the worst team in the CFL..then again the worst team in the CFL may very well be the Ticats after watching that dreadful performance.  Kevin Glenn looked like the second coming of Anthony Calvillo - it takes a awful kind of performance from a defense to extract that kind of performance from the CFL's tiniest QB.

The curse of the Caretaker is real Ticat fans.  This game is proof of that.

Or the Riders happened to play well. Of course you'd never consider that.

Your posts continue to be as lame as ever
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions

2ez

Quote from: "The Last Word"
Ticats humiliated at Mosaic by what should be the worst team in the CFL..then again the worst team in the CFL may very well be the Ticats after watching that dreadful performance.  Kevin Glenn looked like the second coming of Anthony Calvillo - it takes a awful kind of performance from a defense to extract that kind of performance from the CFL's tiniest QB.

The curse of the Caretaker is real Ticat fans.  This game is proof of that.
Lol I know you're right, Bob Young did a terrible job on all sides of the ball and put together a horrible game plan...give it a break.

The team is bad, really bad, but guess what? Off the field, the team is good, really good, in the green type of good for first time in a long long time, so I'd say if anyone is doing things right in Ti-Cats land right now it's Bob Young.

This team is cursed, you may have that right, but I wouldn't dub it the curse of the Caretaker at all. Maybe the Y2K Curse...everybody missed the mark in 2000, it wasn't the world that was doomed, just the Ti-Cats.

TCHABS

I'm beginning to think that Bob may be too nice a guy to be an owner in the CFL.

TiCats seem to get to get crapped on by the league from officiating to not getting Grey Cup games.

I don't buy the excuse that they can't have the game at THF while theres litigation from the construction. They had a game at GIF and I believe  there's legal issues with that stadium too.

And officiating has been well documented.

Bob either takes it from the league because he's a team player or he keeps Mitchel or Austin from really blowing a gasket cause they don't seem like the type to keep quite.

Preisst

Quote from: "The Last Word"
Ticats humiliated at Mosaic by what should be the worst team in the CFL..
then again the worst team in the CFL may very well be the Ticats after watching that dreadful performance.  Kevin Glenn looked like the second coming of Anthony Calvillo - it takes a awful kind of performance from a defense to extract that kind of performance from the CFL's tiniest QB.

The curse of the Caretaker is real Ticat fans.  This game is proof of that.


Perhaps you can give us The First Word on how the Roughriders "should be the worst team in the CFL"?   The word "should" should be eliminated from sports lexicon. Crap like "should have won the cup" and "should never have lost" are out and out stupid.  

What "should? happen is what does happen.

It will be interesting to hear what kind of lame azz reasoning you will come up with on this if your big enough to respond.
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don\'t know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!

Aerial

How the Cats could not keep Ellingson is beyond me.  The guy is pure gold.   :?  :?  :?

Unless I'm missing something, this tells me that perhaps the Cats organization doesn't really "get" how to evaluate talent, albeit the ratio thingy comes into play here and salary demands.

To me right now the Cats as an organization despite having a deep pocketed owner and such. look lost.  My guess is the Cats will not make the playoffs this year.    :?
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink
 


Users Online

102 Guests, 9 Users (6 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Sidney, bobo82, Mightygoose, tony, 15_championships, mycko75, Eagle, Yahoo!, Google (5)

Most Online Today: 177. Most Online Ever: 225 (Aug 15 2017, 11:52 AM)