The Last Word

Lost to many CFL fans - thanks to the Bombers pathetic streak of 27 years without a Grey Cup - is the Ticats record-long streak of 17 seasons without so much as a Grey Cup victory.  At no time in the team's history, even going as far back to the team's origins as the Hamilton Tigers, has the team had such a long Grey Cup drought.  It is no coincidence that this streak essentially coincides with the ownership tenure of one Bob Young.

The worst era in team history (2003 - 2008)
Changing coaches as quickly as the owner changes his socks
The debacle that was the stadium location debate, threats of relocation and the ongoing structural problems which continue to this very day.
Only two seasons with 10 wins since 2002

All this has happened under Young's ownership.

Clearly this team is cursed.  While Young might have saved the Ti-Cats from financial ruin, the team has experienced incredibly underwhelming results during his tenure.  Rest assured this team will not win a Grey Cup with Young as owner.

Ahem, The Last Word channeling Ronald Reagan, " Mr. Young, please sell this team!"  :cowboy:

ticat1

If it wasn't for Bob Young there wouldn't even be a Hamilton Tiger- Cats.

Please describe in detail how he was responsible for what happened with the stadium.  Cause i remember it very differently. Seem to remember it was city council that was to blame for that foolishness. He protested against putting it on the west harbor and with good reason. THAT would have been a serious problem.

As for the success of the team, I again ask you to outline what he should have done differently before he hired Austin.  Who was available as GM, coach and quarterback that we missed out on.

Now I agree that there were tons of issues, don't get me wrong. But the problems were at every level.  The entire organisation was a mess and it was a mess that Young inherited.

I guess he should have made sure Zach didn't hurt his knee. Or he should have taken over city council by force or something.

If you're going to level foolish accusations like that you're going to have to provide a bit more evidence to back up your words

rhymes with orange

Quote from: "The Last Word"
Ahem, The Last Word channeling Ronald Reagan, " Mr. Young, please sell this team!"  :cowboy:

Bob Young? Caretaker Bob?? Really?!?

I will trade your owner for ours in the time it takes Usain Bolt to spint 5 metres.

drummer_god

They have a new stadium and are financially viable for the first time in a very long time.
The on-field success will surely come ( they did make the grey cup game twice during Young's tenure).

cflisthebest

The last word is the lost fool
A Proud member of the Rider Nation!

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "cflisthebest"
The last word is the lost fool
Sometimes, yes.  Me thinks he's just trying to stir the pot.
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

Mightygoose

I guess, a collective series of Ottawa owners were cursed until last yewr then. Mr. Young is not perfect, it it wasn't for him their Grey Cup drought would be permanent.

Considering they won a Grey Cup with Harold Ballard as an owner, I would take the curse if I was a Ti-Cats fan. If it ended for the Cubs, it will end for the Ti-Cats on day.

ExPat

Things were so great in 2003, the last season before Young bought the team.  Who can forget a glorious 1-17 season?  As well as yet another brush with death for the team - at least the third or fourth since the 1980s.  Young took all that away from us!  Curses, indeed!

KevinRiley2

Don't give the Last Word the satisfaction, guys.  Just let the thread die.

Grover

"What ya gotta do", Win, Mike is Watching

"Every time we have not won the Grey Cup, I could hear Mike in my ear saying, 'What Ya Gotta Do?' "

You see, Bob Young really doesn't own the team, his deceased brother Mike who had severe learning disabilities owns the team which was bought with Mikes money,  Bob is the Caretaker of the team for Mike.

There is no curse, far from it, there is an angel watching over this team and hopefully one day they will win it for Mike.

Michael Young died in 2002 at the age of 53 and, a year later, Bob Young bought the Tiger-Cats in his brother's memory and, essentially, with the money he'd left him. Be assured his insistence on the title "caretaker" rather than "owner" derives in large part from Michael's example and his passion for the Cats.

Today, there is a small sign near the exit of the Ticats' makeshift locker-room in Guelph that reads simply, "Win. Mike's Watching."

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/412 ... ats-award/

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

OskeeweeneeVI

Once again, the last word is the wrong word.  This is what happens when somebody living god-knows-where tries to comment on local developments.  I highly doubt the stadium issues are part of a curse of Mr Young.  As far as coaches go, Austin is in 5th year.  Young publicly took full blame for some of the other personnel decisions, how many other owners invite that type of potential criticism?

Time for your next troll, Lost Word

Johnny Ticat slayer

OOHHHHH!!!

This is the best thread in months! Johnny could have easily written this post!

Young injected cash into the team to save them. Yes, he merits admiration for that; and that only. The Ticats have struggled on the field during his ownership. Tons of coaching changes and high priced free agents that were a failure.

There is no curse. He is simply a bad owner.  :cowboy:  
"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

ticat1

Bad owner? Not a chance.

Uneducated? That's a better description.

But he's always been transparent, available and communicative.

He finally made a good choice with Obie and I'm thinking he learned a lot from Bob O. He's got good people in the right places now

Evil Doctor

Quote from: "ticat1"
Cause i remember it very differently. Seem to remember it was city council that was to blame for that foolishness. He protested against putting it on the west harbor and with good reason. THAT would have been a serious problem.

Well you would be wrong on that. Young was the foolish one.  It was city council that was paying the freight, and Young should have accepted it graciously, but no, he had to throw a tantrum, made a bunch of silly demands and ended up with an inferior stadium at an inferior site.

ticat1

Quote from: "Evil Doctor"
Quote from: "ticat1"
Cause i remember it very differently. Seem to remember it was city council that was to blame for that foolishness. He protested against putting it on the west harbor and with good reason. THAT would have been a serious problem.

Well you would be wrong on that. Young was the foolish one.  It was city council that was paying the freight, and Young should have accepted it graciously, but no, he had to throw a tantrum, made a bunch of silly demands and ended up with an inferior stadium at an inferior site.

Have you gone down to where they wanted it in the west harbour? It's a series of single lane two way streets that feed single lane one way streets.  

Not to mention the remediation that would have had to take place on the land.  

If it had been put there, we'd still be trying to get out of the lot from the stadium opening game

Users Online

108 Guests, 12 Users (8 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
tabbyfan, raymarkca, rcon, hendy77, cheater, dcmoses, GOTC1, Espo, DavidC, Google (7), Alexa

Most Online Today: 196. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)