papazoola

.....Pre-season tilt on Sat. in Greenland....A few players that I'd like to see ( or hear about cuz it ain't being televised) and get some playing time is all of the middle linebackers we brought in and new db's....Also this QB. Apodaca sounds like he's got something going on...like to hear what he can do in real game conditions....TSN has decided not to show it....I guess we got bumped because of a tiddly-wink competition. :roll:
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

Lyle B. Style

25-25 tie w/ the dreaded Rat-Riders (at the new Taylor Not so Swift Field)

Some basics:

-  a decent pre-season opener for 2 relatively bottom-feeder teams
-  a poor outing for Timbo Kroeker and his officiating crew
-  ferocious play by both defenses
-  poor discipline by select squad members; an O'Shea & Corkazuna specialty

W or L is not the point in pre-season. Bombers getting a late lead (only lead after being down 19-3) w/ 90 sec. to go and can't withstand last minute charge by riders to tie (NO OT in Pre-season)

Brando Bridge looks decent for riders. No Refrigerator Young or Tattoo Glenn at QB.

All 4 bomber QBs played some - Matt Nichols played far more than most thought (he'll be rested in bomber ex at IGF next week) but all bomber QBs showed something - although it was left for Dan Lafever to save game in last 7 minutes (all he played was all he needed)

Bulldog Bob Irving has developed a new nasty habit. When Bombers score a long and/or spectacular TD Irving relishes the entire thing, purposely ignoring any flags called - so as to embellish the entire play, rather than disappoint avid radio listeners. Kinda a cruel trick if you ask me - something you'd expect out of a jerconi like Rod Black, not a 70 yr old Hall of Fame broadcaster! :cowboy:
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 27 YEARS, COUNTING!

papazoola

......Seems the Bombers haven't lost that bad trait of starting slow....Finished alright though and considering Corky was playing his first string offence against a bunch of our rooks, I'd say we acquitted ourselves nicely....No way Bridge or whoever they throw in when we meet them next, completes that many passes on our secondary....I'd say a few have played themselves out of town...Receivers are going to be a tough call with the likes of Lowder,Liggins and Lankford catching a few....I thought Lankford was heading out of town when he fumbled but then redeemed himself with a couple of nice runs and a td....Flanders had a good night and should stick....QB's were playing it safe until Lefever caught fire and decided to give the riders fits...Apodaca got very little playing time but he did move the team to the goal line ..Rookie mistake not to run it in himself ...he'll learn....Davis played well but also lacks finish...Nichols was Nichols and he did seem to stay in longer than was anticipated..Overall there was more ups than downs ...I'm not going to comment on the officials except to say, they seemed befuddled by the new stadium and seemed lost :oops:

papazoola

.....Bombers cut a bunch today including Apodaca and Frederick....Sorry to see the qb. go...I don't think he was given a proper shot in the pre season game BUT it is what is....With the Fever and Davis in the bull pen, it'll be hard to make it here in the quarterbacking role...As for Frederick who was a starter last year...he wasn't as good as the guys we've brought in...The coaches like this Smalley guy and they probably think they have another Ritchie Hall clone...We shall see :roll:

Lyle B. Style

Quote from: "papazoola"
.....Bombers cut a bunch today including Apodaca and Frederick....Sorry to see the qb. go...I don't think he was given a proper shot in the pre season game BUT it is what is....With the Fever and Davis in the bull pen, it'll be hard to make it here in the quarterbacking role...As for Frederick who was a starter last year...he wasn't as good as the guys we've brought in...The coaches like this Smalley guy and they probably think they have another Ritchie Hall clone...We shall see :roll:

Richie Hall clone? Hope not - the guy was slightly above average and knew how to shoe-shine his way to a long CFL career.

As for the QB, Apoplectica or whatever, I suspect PLOP & O'Shea gave him the opportunity to serve on the practice roster to start the season - for a few sheckels a week - and the guy decided he was better than that. Most CFL teams have 4 QB around town - so I suspect Danny Mac, quarterback hunter is back on the phones. McManus hasn't got a great track record scouting above average QBs. In fact, around the same as Joe Mack - and that ain't good! :cowboy:

papazoola

Quote from: "Lyle B. Style"

Richie Hall clone? Hope not - the guy was slightly above average and knew how to shoe-shine his way to a long CFL career.

As for the QB, Apoplectica or whatever, I suspect PLOP & O'Shea gave him the opportunity to serve on the practice roster to start the season - for a few sheckels a week - and the guy decided he was better than that. Most CFL teams have 4 QB around town - so I suspect Danny Mac, quarterback hunter is back on the phones. McManus hasn't got a great track record scouting above average QBs. In fact, around the same as Joe Mack - and that ain't good! :cowboy:

....Hey c'mon Lyle....Hall worked his way up all the to head coach...but alas the shoes were too big and he danced his way back to dc....As far as I'm concerned he hasn't done that much here, as yet, and I hope the way Brandon Bridge butchered our secondary (albeit rooks) that, that is no indication of things to come...Something that made me nervous last year...But hey...we'll see how things unfold shortly... :roll:

Lyle B. Style

Bombers playing their home exhibition tonite . . . .

Funniest post I've ever read on a bomber board - from a board moderator nonetheless

Got the combo last night at nitro circus. Did not have any trays was almost impossible to carry hot dog fries and a drink. Did not help when the cashier said put something in your pocket.  

In the north end zone there are a few rows with no seats is that going to be a standing area or are they getting reinstalled?

Typical from Winnipeg Football Club and how they run stadium concessions. Introduce a combo plate and don't have trays available for hicks like this guy. Carry the friggin' fries in your pocket???

I thought I'd heard it all . . .  lol

papazoola

.....French fries in your pocket aside....the Bombers defence under Ritchie Hall is a concern in this latest outing against the preseason Esks.,... who marched at will in the first half against the Bombers front line D, which played disgraceful..... :lol: I hope these so called Bomber players who were recruited, can up their game because they will be replacing a lot of vets., if we crap the bed like that one to start the season....Brutal is the only adjective I can come up with...Don't like what I'm hearing and this western conference is going to be a barn burner all season...IF we come up with any part of our game that is resembling that first half defensive bunch.....See ya :thdn:

DAN38

How often has any team ever tied two of it's pre-season games ? It's either a first or very rare.
Si vis pacem... para bellum

Lyle B. Style

.....French fries in your pocket aside....the Bombers defence under Ritchie Hall is a concern in this latest outing against the preseason Esks.,... who marched at will in the first half against the Bombers front line D, which played disgraceful..... :lol: I hope these so called Bomber players who were recruited, can up their game because they will be replacing a lot of vets., if we crap the bed like that one to start the season....Brutal is the only adjective I can come up with...Don't like what I'm hearing and this western conference is going to be a barn burner all season...IF we come up with any part of our game that is resembling that first half defensive bunch.....See ya :thdn:

Mike MilkOsheatoast was rather non-plussed by the loss, choosing to focus on the average to good play of a few of his new recruits. Just said he doesn't like ties.

Obviously some of the early, predictable signs of weakness glared up in the Winnipeg evening.

No gap control whatsoever by our #1 o-line. Edmontons's #3 RB and some o-line spares ran rampshod over them. Sam Hurl is obviously NOT the answer at MLB for anyone but the tall foreheads who need another Canadian body starting - enabling dressing extra import defensive linemen or receivers - due to a paucity of good Canadians at those positions!

Faith Ekakitie got exposed to two things last nite. 1. Game action and 2. Utter humiliation by Bob 'Ask Me' Irving, who clearly stated that Ekakitie was totally gassed after a short pursuit of the Edmonton QB and looked to the bench after the play for replacement - and O'Shea pulling a Trump and leaving his charge in to hide under the turf for the next rep.

Great draft pick guys!

papazoola

.....I'll be watching the lions game to see how Vandervoort performs....IF he gets his shot and has a credible outing....something will have been exposed in the management of this club...We'll see....AND for cripes sake get rid of Hurl at mlb...Does O'Shea have to see anymore...HE'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH...jeebus.

Lyle B. Style

.....I'll be watching the lions game to see how Vandervoort performs....IF he gets his shot and has a credible outing....something will have been exposed in the management of this club...We'll see....AND for cripes sake get rid of Hurl at mlb...Does O'Shea have to see anymore...HE'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH...jeebus.

Mike O has to watch the film, doesn't he? And some of these physically weaker players (like Hurl) tend to grade out well at positional playing - but tend to get physically abused by more dominant/stronger o-linemen. O'Shea can't see the forest for the trees!

No real panic will set in (other than prescient folks like myself) until Week 4 or 5, as the bombers are byed in Week 1 - so after week 4, the worst they can be is 0-3.

At that point - O'Shea will go into Sgt. Slaughter (Greg Marshall) mode and dare Miller into firing him into eternity now that O'Shea is armed with a guaranteed 3 year extension.

So no matter my ramblings or mid-season panic from some of the pipsqueaks on mourningbigblue - O'Shea's punishment should be riding out the year - humiliating himself and his weak coaching practices. He might be able to get himself fired after a bad year - but so what, he'll get a nice pack of money (money he rarely spends in Winnipeg btw) move back to Toronto and never get another head coaching job (in the pros anyways). Might be good in a high school or mid-level CIS program.

Lyle B. Style

Big Poppy - sure you've got the same sick feeling I've got.

(ok, nothing as bad as what I've got!!!)

We coulda had Bladek (starting OL w/ Sask'n) and either Vandervoort or Behar

instead of Kimbo Slice, Jr. and Geoff Gray.....

Don't think anyone other than numbed up bomber fans would disagree with me!  :cowboy:

wolverine29

Quote from: "Lyle B. Style"
Big Poppy - sure you've got the same sick feeling I've got.

(ok, nothing as bad as what I've got!!!)

We coulda had Bladek (starting OL w/ Sask'n) and either Vandervoort or Behar

instead of Kimbo Slice, Jr. and Geoff Gray.....

Don't think anyone other than numbed up bomber fans would disagree with me!  :cowboy:

Yep, so much better with Bladek and Vandervoort/Behar.  Bladek wouldn't start on our Oline.  Behar sat out all training camp and when finally signed compared his contract to slavery. Ya, what a screw up that Walters, wasting our picks on players that want to be here and work hard, and a pick on a OL that's better than Bladek who we don't need right now but could down the road.   :thup:  :thup:  Unfortunately this forum is becoming nothing but non sensical idiotic name calling and griping and we haven't even played a regular season game.

papazoola

......Looks like we picked up a Danny Vandervoort 'clone', in the supplemental, for a third round pic in 18' (which we have two of)....Took a look at Drew Wolitarsky on vid. and was quite impressed... Solid looking kid...good hands and at 6'3 ..220...he makes a nice target..His stats. are up there and everything he did was equal to Vandervoort or better...Don't know how Walters followed or stashed this guy but if he works out  :thup:  he fills a real need at canuck receiver...Looking forward to seeing him in BluenGold :rockin:

Users Online

128 Guests, 21 Users (12 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
tabbiefanmcb, tcmike, DavidThompson, Taleback, Mightygoose, Oskie18, raymarkca, ExPat, Lyle B. Style, cheater, jim43bob, rcon, PTBO Dave, heapbag, ed ohmnes, ExPat, bobo82, greenandwhite, Google (11), Baidu

Most Online Today: 213. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)