Lyle B. Style

Quote from: "KevinRiley2"
Sweden's D and goaltending were awesome.  Our team was meh.  I am happy with Silver.

Of course you realize our canucks were pretty much an NHL B-team. No Subban or Shea Webber on D, no Crosby, Tavares, etc. at forward and no Carey Price in net.

Lots of gamers like Schiefele but not enough freaky forces that can bust down opponents by sheer will and get goals when needed.

Pickard isn't even an NHL starter, is he?

Lundquist is a monster in net - no wonder 3 Canadian shooters couldn't put it by him in shoot-out.

Sort of a peak into what might happen if the NHL doesn't release all their players to the next Olympics - actually Silver would be a real accomplishment if Sid, Shea, PK, Price, McDavid, etc. can't go.

Aerial

That being said Lyle, a world championship is exactly that, a world championship, just like a Grey Cup or amateur national champs for a country, you be proud of that even though the best combination of best players are not available.  You never put down a national championship IMHO even if it's just junior B or whatever.  Even a city championship trophy for whatever high school sport, you be proud and don't talk in negatives I would say.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "Lyle B. Style"
Sweden's D and goaltending were awesome.  Our team was meh.  I am happy with Silver.

Of course you realize our canucks were pretty much an NHL B-team. No Subban or Shea Webber on D, no Crosby, Tavares, etc. at forward and no Carey Price in net.

Lots of gamers like Schiefele but not enough freaky forces that can bust down opponents by sheer will and get goals when needed.

Lundquist is a monster in net - no wonder 3 Canadian shooters couldn't put it by him in shoot-out.

Sort of a peak into what might happen if the NHL doesn't release all their players to the next Olympics - actually Silver would be a real accomplishment if Sid, Shea, PK, Price, McDavid, etc. can't go.
Not to mention no Connor McDavid - 2nd best player in the NHL behind Sid.

It might not even have been a B team - it was a lesser team, with a lesser goalie, on the big ice, in a tournament Canadians care little about.

I did not lose any sleep over Silver.

Lyle B. Style

Not to mention no Connor McDavid - 2nd best player in the NHL behind Sid.

It might not even have been a B team - it was a lesser team, with a lesser goalie, on the big ice, in a tournament Canadians care little about.

I did not lose any sleep over Silver.

They did very well, actually - without any real snipers so to speak!

The Americanos on the other hand . . . . . . . . building a wall! lol

KevinRiley2

They did very well, actually - without any real snipers so to speak!

The Americanos on the other hand . . . . . . . . building a wall! lol
The U.S. sent a very strong team and still finished 5th.  I know they were very disappointed.

Lyle B. Style

Still a little bit disturbed about how Pee Wee Herman (Bettman) played things out in order to prevent NHL players from playing Olympic hockey.

Pee Wee is shrewd to the nth degree so whether its a negotiating tactic or not I do not know. With Bettman always bet on negotiating immo . . . .

I've always said the NHL is comprised of 3 parts.

1. TRAINING CAMP - basically the slap-happy pre-season games featuring hobos and rookies trying to show their stuff in a no-checking, no hard-hitting environment

2. EXHIBITION SEASON - the long & tedious regular season with so many meaningless games, nights off by players and coaches, putrid performances that lack most of the vigor and attack of desperation playoff games.

3. REGULAR SEASON - the 2 and a half month run of best of 7 series where players tend to wake up and play hard-nosed, grinding and sometimes brilliant hockey. Not enough great players on most teams to have this on for full 60 minutes but that said, most games contain decent tension and quality play. Goaltenders pick up their game, too!

So for PeeWee to allow a 2 week period during the hum-drum 82 game exhibition, that's NOT a big ask. The bigger ask is insuring Olympic NHL players against injury and breakdown. But its been done before. I'd even be OK with the NHL continuing a light schedule while the Olympics are on so they don't have to pack additional games pre or post Olympics. Let the teams run without their called up superstars for 2 or 3 games over a 12 to 15 day run. Whats wrong with that?

Anyways, Olympic hockey at its highest level is far better and entertaining than the NHL's tedious 82 game exhibition season - and if truth be told - prolly better than at least 1/2 the playoff games.

brihind88

Good job Canada.
Unfortunate loss yes.

As for the shoot out, like it or not , that is the rule under IIHF tournaments.

Still Canada was the # 1 seed over all.

Canada did win the last 2 years in a row and it is hard to 3 peat.
Can't win them all.

Now, remember what needs to take place going over there.
Made up of players not in the play-offs or eliminated in the first round.
Not familiar with each other and a coach has to gel these guys into a new system in a short period of time.

I was hoping to see a Canada - USA final.
As this was the best team the USA has had , yet found a way to tank against Finland.

Users Online

90 Guests, 10 Users (8 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KevinRiley2, Mightygoose, Oskie18, cflisthebest, LeBird, batkinson001, Sidney, TeddyFay, FenderGuy69, Google (8)

Most Online Today: 172. Most Online Ever: 225 (Aug 15 2017, 11:52 AM)