TCHABS

I just saw this on CJ's Instagram account about the next chapter in his life with the Los Angeles Fire Department.

I don't know if he is leaving the Ticats or just planning his career after football.

If this is his chance to join the fire dept, good luck and all the best and thanks for all you did for the Cats.

One of the most exciting players I've seen play.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSojVufAl7m/

Grover

Sure sounds like he has a new job as a Firefighter, good luck to him

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

FenderGuy69

My guess it's preparation and not retirement right here and now. All his social media, (Twitter & Instagram) is loaded with pics & vids of him training & working out for football. He was also at the FA camp in LA and spoke with the players attending.

Never a bad thing to prepare and get your ducks in a row for post football or if something was to happen sooner.

15_championships

if he does, hopefully we draft Augustine and use him and Timmis as a 1-2 punch

slimjim2

I would think that if he gets selected as a fire fighter that he would be gone immediately.      It's a  career for the next 30 years or so and very few get selected.   The Fire department doesn't care if he's playing part time football somewhere,  they aren't going to hold a place for him.

bobo82

15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

safetyblitz

Quote from: "slimjim2"
I would think that if he gets selected as a fire fighter that he would be gone immediately.      It's a  career for the next 30 years or so and very few get selected.   The Fire department doesn't care if he's playing part time football somewhere,  they aren't going to hold a place for him.

I expect this is true, re: limited window of opportunity.

And given the tenuous nature of a pro football career, especially in a league where even the majority of "star" players make well south of $300,000/year, choosing the Fire Dept. over football is a no-brainer. That would be the case even if CJ's career didn't have specific question marks heading into this year (age, injury history).

If he were younger and there were still a realistic chance of jumping to the NFL with a stellar CFL season or two, it might be more complicated.

stevehvh

If I were CJ and had a good long term career opportunity ahead of me like that, I'd go for it. If he does, I wish him all the best.

It makes sense that the team signed a couple of free agent RBs.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

Grover

The LA Fire Department is just coming out of a 5 year hiring freeze, which created massive Overtime pay for shortstaffed Firefighters

"Peter Sanders, spokesman for fire Chief Ralph M. Terrazas, said the department emerged last year from a five-year hiring freeze, and retirements and attrition have led to an increase in overtime. He added that the city is busy hiring new firefighters and expects to catch up with its losses during the fiscal year beginning July 1."

LA firefighters can earn up to $300K a year in overtime, study says

http://www.dailynews.com/government-and ... study-says

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Tipper

8)  If Gable is accepted, he would be a fool not to take the job !!

I would think he is as good as gone from the TiCats, after reading between the lines here !!

EE17

ever herd of maybe someone setting themselves up for after football ? he is still under contract here and would never pull a CW80 stunt

meaker23

:P
Quote from: "EE17"
ever herd of maybe someone setting themselves up for after football ? he is still under contract here and would never pull a CW80 stunt

safetyblitz

Players retire while under contract all the time. The contract only limits the player's mobility within the league (and the CFL and NFL currently have an agreement to recognize each other's contracts as well). As someone pointed out earlier in thread, *if* Gable is retiring, it would be a Sandy Beveridge situation, not a Chris Williams situation.

Until I hear an announcement, I'll assume Gable will be at camp, but we'll have to wait and see.

TCHABS

I have no issue if CJ or any player retires for a future career outside of football especially with CFL salaries.

Cry baby Williams was a completly different issue and I would never place CJ in that catagory.

slimjim2

Quote from: "TCHABS"

I have no issue if CJ or any player retires for a future career outside of football especially with CFL salaries.

Cry baby Williams was a completly different issue and I would never place CJ in that catagory.

"Cry baby Williams" ??    if I remember correctly it was all about his agent telling him that he was being paid a pittance and as the most outstanding player in the league he should walk away.
Williams is a guy that doesn't say much.
In CJs case it's his decision to walk away and get a second career,  for contracts and negotiations it's all about the agents calling the shots,   I don't blame CW at all.

Users Online

55 Guests, 2 Users (4 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
seamack3, Google (4)

Most Online Today: 124. Most Online Ever: 225 (Aug 15 2017, 11:52 AM)