Grover

gary lawless?Verified account @garylawless  5h5 hours ago

Two #cfl @cfl teams have made bids for #greycup 2018 - @EdmontonEsks and @calstampeders - an Alberta battle for the title game

With Edmontons upgrades at Commonwealth Stadium, I believe they have the upper hand.
Losing out on the bid to Edmonton and then watching the festivities and game next door in their rival City,
Just might make Calgary voters reconsider their need for a new Stadium!

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Mightygoose

I was thinking Regina would have had the inside track with the new stadium.

Edmonton will be a good choice none of the less and I agree a lost bid for Calgary will be another nudge to 'reconsider' CalgaryNext

brihind88

It will most likely go to Edmonton.

Edmonton or Calgary will be fine. Both have always done a great job.

Both franchises have gone a long time since hosting.  2009 - 2010.

Despite what some ( Rider fans ) may think, a  fancy new stadium does not entitle a push to the front of the line.
Besides 2013 is still very recent.

As far as a new stadium here in Calgary, not will my tax dollars you don't.

brihind88

Despite what some ( Rider fans ) may think, a  fancy new stadium does not entitle a push to the front of the line.

BTW, the Mayor of Calgary agree's with me.

If the Stamps ( Flames ) want a new stadium, they can pay for it .

pikk

Quote from: "brihind88"

Why not? The way the liberals are pissing our money away, you might as well get a new stadium out of it. :)

brihind88

Quote from: "pikk"

Why not? The way the liberals are pissing our money away, you might as well get a new stadium out of it. :)

It has nothing to do with the Feds.

This is on the City Of Calgary.

Just like the Mayor said.

There are priority areas that need to be addressed.
So many people here are having trouble and then comes the stupid carbon tax.
A new stadium and arena are on the very bottom.

Provincial NDP has destroyed Alberta.
Calgary downtown offices have a 25 % vacancy rate.

slimjim2

Ottawa's new stadium was built with ZERO fed/provincial tax dollars.    It was a private/public sector project with the city making a lot of money out of the deal.   That's the model that cities should be following instead of relying on provincial or federal taxpayers.

As for hosting the Grey Cup it's not about whose turn it is.   It's about who puts in the best bid,  they could get 8 bids to host it.

PTBO Dave

Quote from: "slimjim2"

Ottawa's new stadium was built with ZERO fed/provincial tax dollars.    It was a private/public sector project with the city making a lot of money out of the deal.   That's the model that cities should be following instead of relying on provincial or federal taxpayers.

As for hosting the Grey Cup it's not about whose turn it is.   It's about who puts in the best bid,  they could get 8 bids to host it.

I agree the Ottawa model is a great one that other cities should follow. But that was all done without the federal Liberals in power. And if they're into giving away money on these things, any cities looking for new stadia should at least consider extending a hand.

The Last Word

It has nothing to do with the Feds.

This is on the City Of Calgary.

Just like the Mayor said.

There are priority areas that need to be addressed.
So many people here are having trouble and then comes the stupid carbon tax.
A new stadium and arena are on the very bottom.

Provincial NDP has destroyed Alberta.
Calgary downtown offices have a 25 % vacancy rate.

Like the economy wouldn't be the exact same if the PCs were involved.  Those buildings would still have a 25% vacancy rate :lol:

The Last Word

Just as I stated awhile back, Edmonton will bid and win the rights to the 2018 Grey Cup.

Their stadium is significantly larger than Calgary's and will not require any temporary seats.  It has been renovated and maintained at a much higher level than McCrap Stadium as well...also newer.  They have decent hotel capacity and excellent facilities which imo will always be the detriment of any future Grey Cups in Regina - a new stadium does not compensate for the lack of hotels, poor public transit, lack of cabs, etc. etc. etc.

Last Grey Cup in Edmonton sold out prior to the beginning of the regular season too so the CFL knows the demand for tickets will be there

brihind88

True, but if they get 8 bids, the city that held it 2 or 3 years ago will have less consideration.

brihind88

Quote from: "The Last Word"

Like the economy wouldn't be the exact same if the PCs were involved.  Those buildings would still have a 25% vacancy rate :lol:

Perhaps I worded it wrong.

I am not putting all the blame on NDP.

The oil industry has taken a major hit.

So many are out of work.
The Alberta NDP and their policy decisions have only made it worse.

Point is Calgary is in bad shape and the last thing any one will care about is a new stadium.

brihind88

Quote from: "The Last Word"
Just as I stated awhile back, Edmonton will bid and win the rights to the 2018 Grey Cup.

Their stadium is significantly larger than Calgary's and will not require any temporary seats.  It has been renovated and maintained at a much higher level than McCrap Stadium as well...also newer.  They have decent hotel capacity and excellent facilities which imo will always be the detriment of any future Grey Cups in Regina - a new stadium does not compensate for the lack of hotels, poor public transit, lack of cabs, etc. etc. etc.

Last Grey Cup in Edmonton sold out prior to the beginning of the regular season too so the CFL knows the demand for tickets will be there

Just hope Edmonton gets decent conditions.

They got lucky in 2010, but Edmonton gets a bit cool in November.

They should start the season a month early and play the game in October.

GHT120

Ottawa's new stadium was built with ZERO fed/provincial tax dollars.    It was a private/public sector project with the city making a lot of money out of the deal...
The City paid out of pocket for the stadium.  It does get  some sort of profit sharing (hope its better than Hollywood movies) and the property taxes are exactly what they would have gotten if they just leased that same land to any retail/residential developer for an outdoor mall, condos and townhouses.
Let's  not confuse FACTS with OPINIONS

BCRiderFan

The Riders don't want it next year as they are hosting several other major events, and may want a season or two to work out any kinks. But I appreciate your uncalled for cheap shot against Rider fans, as usual.
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions

Users Online

115 Guests, 13 Users (13 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
PTBO Dave, cahoonrules86, Cool, pw13, smogmonster, htom, Taleback, Mightygoose, sully, Sidney, ExPat, Google (13)

Most Online Today: 181. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)