Bayargonaut00

According to @CarlosRosadoV on Twitter:

@CarlosRosadoV: #Breakingnews Prepárate para el primer tryout #CFL #TigerCats en México.Una oportunidad para los jugadores #FBA de poder jugar profesional

https://twitter.com/CarlosRosadoV/statu ... 1622276096

the Ticats are holding tryouts in México.  
This is fantastic news for expanding the potential talent pool in North America for the CFL. While I can't speak to you level of talent, I can say that American football is growing in México, and they already have an 8 team league that is relatively new. If it takes off it could mean an influx of more players. The Liga de Fútbol Americano México (LFAMEX) is broadcast on Fox Deportes Mex.

I would like to see what kind of talent could be brought up by more than one CFL tea. from my ancestral homeland ,  which has the top tier Football league in North America and the Caribbean.
No finite point has meaning without an infinite reference point

Xvys

Terrific news! The Latino market is huge for MLS ratings with football also being very popular with Spanish speakers in U.S. and Mexico. Creating some awareness of the CFL and Ticats brands in Mexico (pop. 122M) could bring dividends, especially if a Mexican player is invited to training camp. Hopefully the Ticats will make the tryout fee 100 pesos instead of 100 dollars. :wink:

Johnny Ticat slayer

The Ticats should sign this guy to return kicks...

"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

brihind88

Quote from: "Johnny Ticat slayer"
The Ticats should sign this guy to return kicks...

Good idea Johnny.

The dynamic duo. :thup:

Speedy B and Speedy G. :D

Bayargonaut00

Quote from: "Xvys"
Terrific news! The Latino market is huge for MLS ratings with football also being very popular with Spanish speakers in U.S. and Mexico. Creating some awareness of the CFL and Ticats brands in Mexico (pop. 122M) could bring dividends, especially if a Mexican player is invited to training camp. Hopefully the Ticats will make the tryout fee 100 pesos instead of 100 dollars. :wink:

You sarcastic Frick ;)

Actually though, it benefits us, because I have no doubt that the LFAMEX will become more popular than the CFL on a North American basis, very quickly. Unless we act like new liberal overlords and exploit it from its inception. Which will still be terrible. So we don't need a win win

Bayargonaut00

Quote from: "Xvys"

The Latino market IN the US is worth something. But nobody outside of the US gives a Frick. We would be better in Canada watching the LigaMX, because it has the one up on MLS , when it comes to soccer. Better talent and everything. I just have a false sense of national ego. And unfortunately, that is true :(

PTBO Dave

This is interesting news. I had not idea that gridiron football had any traction in Mexico. Although I do recall U Laval and the Alouettes having a Mexica—Jeronimo Huerta-Flores—at RB a little over a decade ago now.
Don't tell anyone, but actually I'm Pat, too.

BigJoeM

Somoa has a great many football players 70 in the NFL so doesn't surprise me that Mexico would produce some good football players as well . I think a camp in Somoa would be wise as well. As more players are produced internationaly  it doesn't hurt to look elsewhere like Mexico they may have guys over looked because they are not recruited to NCAA . Japan as well may have a few guys but Japan is expensive and may cost more for a camp set up . Germany may have a few gems as well . So holding try outs in Mexico doesn't surprise me and maybe a exhibition game internationaly with a modest set up could make it interesting if you include a recruitment camp the week before . I am sure the players in the CFL would love a road trip . If you have a sponsor for the trip and sponsor for the game your in business . TSN would love to add it to their line up . London seems to have a love of the game but I think a regular season game is more of what they want to see as they have many NFL regular season games under their belt maybe Glasgow maybe better for the CFL  .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn\'t care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn\'t care about free speech .

slimjim2

Quote from: "BigJoeM"
Somoa has a great many football players 70 in the NFL so doesn't surprise me that Mexico would produce some good football players as well . I think a camp in Somoa would be wise as well. As more players are produced internationaly  it doesn't hurt to look elsewhere like Mexico they may have guys over looked because they are not recruited to NCAA . Japan as well may have a few guys but Japan is expensive and may cost more for a camp set up . Germany may have a few gems as well . So holding try outs in Mexico doesn't surprise me and maybe a exhibition game internationaly with a modest set up could make it interesting if you include a recruitment camp the week before . I am sure the players in the CFL would love a road trip . If you have a sponsor for the trip and sponsor for the game your in business . TSN would love to add it to their line up . London seems to have a love of the game but I think a regular season game is more of what they want to see as they have many NFL regular season games under their belt maybe Glasgow maybe better for the CFL  .

But Samoa is US territory and many of the locals consider themselves American.      We stopped in Pago Pago on a cruise a couple of years ago, US flags flying,   the port security guys had American flags on their shirts,  US TV and a lot of US influence and money.    Not surprising that they play US sports.
Mexico is still soccer crazy and they haven't held an NFL football game there for many years,  the novelty has worn off.
Maybe they will be able to get a couple of kickers to come out.
Football is still a novelty thing in London and they are doing fine in holding the 5 NFL games there every season.
Exhibition games?   the CFL can't even get a few thousand fans to Quebec City for an exhibition game.

BigJoeM

Quote from: "slimjim2"
Quote from: "BigJoeM"

But Samoa is US territory and many of the locals consider themselves American.      We stopped in Pago Pago on a cruise a couple of years ago, US flags flying,   the port security guys had American flags on their shirts,  US TV and a lot of US influence and money.    Not surprising that they play US sports.
Mexico is still soccer crazy and they haven't held an NFL football game there for many years,  the novelty has worn off.
Maybe they will be able to get a couple of kickers to come out.
Football is still a novelty thing in London and they are doing fine in holding the 5 NFL games there every season.
Exhibition games?   the CFL can't even get a few thousand fans to Quebec City for an exhibition game.

Um Slim they hold camps in the US all the time I don't think Somoans are different from Texans in wanting to play pro ball . An exhibition game with 5000 or less is good enough . It's the local atmosphere and getting PLAYERS interested in the CFL . The TSN broadcast of it is a novelty thing if they want to fill the airwaves do it and have fun . It looks like Wally signed a US player out of the German League and they Germany have stadiums like our CIS teams.

https://www.bclions.com/2017/03/15/lion ... ler-davis/

https://www.americanfootballinternation ... r-broncos/

It's about expanding the base of players internationally and poking a few areas untapped . If you get a little exposure somewhere else and have fun with it like the sponsors for Curling in Vegas it will play well on TV and it will play well at home that we are exposing the brand of three down football we play in Canada which is unknown in the world .

I think you are looking at it as a potential big market or wanting a real game or team there that is not what I am advocating at all .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn\'t care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn\'t care about free speech .

deerkeeper

Quote from: "slimjim2"
Haven't they. You may have missed this from last year. I think it took less than a day to sell out.
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.nfl.com ... acw&sr=amp

okie

I'm looking at the calendar, and it's not April Fool's Day.  Article here says Ochocinco signed with the LFA which is the professional football league in Mexico.  LFA is currently playing in its 2nd year of existence.

http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/03/2 ... ll-league/

Bayargonaut00

Quote from: "okie"
I'm looking at the calendar, and it's not April Fool's Day.  Article here says Ochocinco signed with the LFA which is the professional football league in Mexico.  LFA is currently playing in its 2nd year of existence.

http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/03/2 ... ll-league/

Yes sir, the LFAMEX is growing quite fast as well. It just got a television and streaming partner in fox Deportes and máximo avance.
I've very recently started watching and am very hopeful for the long term sustainability of the league.

Johnson is only signed on to play one game, but it's making a splash down south because of the increasing interest in American Football down in México.

okie

Johnson caught a 41 yard TD pass in that game.  Video in the link below.  I can just hear all the skeptics saying : WORK!!!  Well, if it's not a "work", then the alternative would be "sub-par football" to put it kindly.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2701 ... all-league

Johnny Ticat slayer

Quote from: "okie"
Johnson caught a 41 yard TD pass in that game.  Video in the link below.  I can just hear all the skeptics saying : WORK!!!  Well, if it's not a "work", then the alternative would be "sub-par football" to put it kindly.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2701 ... all-league

The defensive back covering Johnson looked really pathetic! In a desperation move, he tried to jam him, and could not turn his hips and run with him.

It makes one really appreciate the quality DBs we have here in our league!  :thup:

When Johnson played with the Als in 2014, he was smothered and neutered by the opposing CFL defensive backs who had to cover him.
"Shut up Wesley!"   Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7

Users Online

86 Guests, 6 Users (6 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mightygoose, sth1988, dcmoses, Chestmaster, Google (6)

Most Online Today: 172. Most Online Ever: 225 (Aug 15 2017, 11:52 AM)