Obrigardo

Quote from: "my home team"
Quote from: "Obrigardo"
Austin has been a 500 coach  running the ticat organization he's made all football decisions up to now.I think if this year goes sour like last year he'll be on the bubble 5years is enough

And I guess making it to the cup in his first two years and the playoffs after that, once with his backup quarterback shouldn't matter.

And Ottawa won the grey cup with less than a 500 record.
It does matter that's why he still has a job but  if he has another year like last year I think he'll be gone

stevehvh

Quote from: "seymour"
Quote from: "stevehvh"
If what you state is true, then it is pointless for Ticat fans to hope for success as long as the team is owned by a computer geek whose background and experience, not involving any previous sports ownership, do not give him the necessary knowledge or skills.

Why do you assume that Bob is incapable of acquiring the knowledge required to own a successful, winning sports franchise? Surely he has learned a lot in the fifteen or so years he has owned the team.

I don't share your assessment of his qualifications for his role.

I didn't state that Bob was not qualified for the role. I simply stated that last season must have given him cause to reassess.

If he thinks he should change the senior management, no doubt he'll do so.

If it gets to that point, I hope he will have the courage of his convictions.

I don't assume he can't learn. I don't doubt that he has, and will continue to.

You didn't simply say last season must have given him cause to reassess. You also referred to him as a computer geek, and suggested that experience doesn't give him the knowledge base or skills to be a successful sports team owner. I don't agree. I think that previous sports team ownership may or may not lead to success.

He has changed management at the Ticats more than once before, so if it gets to that point, I'm sure he will do so again. Past experience indicates he is not reluctant to act on his convictions in that regard. If anything, the fact he has not done so recently suggests he doesn't think it is a good move. I trust his judgment.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

my home team

"It does matter that's why he still has a job but if he has another year like last year I think he'll be gone"

In his first season here, Kent was displaced from the stadium, have his players change and transport from the office to the practice field, taking considerable time from practice.

His new coaching staff included a DC with little experience in the job (Orlondo Steinhauer).

Home games were at two different university playing fields, one as far away as Guelph for a year and a half.

Then the PAN-AM games took away home dates after that.

He's lost his starting quarterback (Zach Collaros) for parts of two seasons, including an eastern final.

Extensive injury lists. Most hard hit, the Oline, secondary and receiving corps.

There isn't another coach in this league who has had to endure all this and still accomplish what Kent Austin has.

LeStaf

"It does matter that's why he still has a job but if he has another year like last year I think he'll be gone"

In his first season here, Kent was displaced from the stadium, have his players change and transport from the office to the practice field, taking considerable time from practice.

His new coaching staff included a DC with little experience in the job (Orlondo Steinhauer).

Home games were at two different university playing fields, one as far away as Guelph for a year and a half.

He's lost his starting quarterback (Zach Collaros) for parts of two seasons, including an eastern final.

Extensive injury lists. Most hard hit, the Oline, secondary and receiving corps.

There isn't another coach in this league who has had to endure all this and still accomplish what Kent Austin has.

Donnez à Austin un quart-arrière capable qui réussit à rester en santé, et il peut mener son équipe loin.  Son problème a été que tous les morceaux n'ont jamais été en place en même temps.  Tantôt c'était la défensive, tantôt la ligne offensive, tantôt il a perdu son quart-arrière.  Tout ça se comprend et ne fait pas en soi d'Austin un mauvais entraîneur-chef.  J'ai au contraire beaucoup de respect sur la façon dont il a redressé les choses pour cette équipe.

Mais un moment donné, on peut se demander quand il réussira à justement mettre tous ces morceaux en place et les faire fonctionner tous ensemble.  À mesure que les saisons passeront sans que ça n'arrive, il y aura inévitablement des questions à son sujet.  Tant que le temps avance, il se rapproche du moment où ce sera "maintenant ou jamais".
[size=150]For translation  ---->[/size]  http://translate.google.ca/

schmenger

Every year is pivotal to Austin. There is a huge ego under that smirk half smile and this season will be no different. However, Austin was disappointed with last year's outcome. Injuries aside, Austin and company realize in a small league with a salary cap, there is parody. I look for a more balanced attack and much consistent play.

Obrigardo

Every team has injuries the rest didn't happen last year another year like last and he'll be done.everyone called the Als a train wreck and they had the same record

Slomojo2005

There is absolutely no doubt that KA is one of the best in league.  We would be idiots to even consider getting rid of him.

TommyBoy1

36 and 36 regular season
4 and 4 playoffs
That is a  pretty good sample size and it points to mediocrity. It also seems to be going down hill. Last year the Ticats lost to Toronto, Saskatchewan and Montreal--all past labour day.

We all wanted Kent to be great but so far he hasn't been.

seymour

Quote from: "TommyBoy1"
36 and 36 regular season
4 and 4 playoffs
That is a  pretty good sample size and it points to mediocrity. It also seems to be going down hill. Last year the Ticats lost to Toronto, Saskatchewan and Montreal--all past labour day.

The pressure on Austin is mounting and he is running out of excuses. He has been relieved of his GM duties to concentrate on coaching and he has made Collaros the highest paid quarterback in the league.

Considering the talent he's had to work with and the money that has been thrown at this team, Austin and the team have underperformed in my opinion.

Obrigardo

Quote from: "TommyBoy1"
36 and 36 regular season
4 and 4 playoffs

Stats don't lie how's the weather?

disciplineandpunish

I think Austin has done well enough but backsliding last year after B2B Grey Cup appearances has dented his rep somewhat, particularly since the East in 2016 was a tire fire (mostly due to Montreal's dysfunction and Toronto imploding). Injuries happen to every team, so it's not really an excuse.

Austin needs Collaros to be healthy and productive for a whole season to make the case that the team is still ascending IMO and to justify the huge contract. If 2017 is another year marred by Collaros being injured and no Grey Cup appearance -- which is the bar now, Hamilton fans, because when you succeed the bar gets raised -- there is going to be an increasingly strong case for arguing that the team missed its Grey Cup window and is on the downswing. If Collaros stays healthy and the team goes deep into the playoffs, that talk will disappear, and rightly so.

Reinebold is the wild card. If his defense can be effective with little or no drop-off from Steinauer, it gives the team a better cushion against offensive injuries. If Reinebold calls the same kind of predictable game he did when he was Montreal's DC in 2012, it could be a long season for Cats fans.
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson

Obrigardo

Quote from: "disciplineandpunish"
I think Austin has done well enough but backsliding last year after B2B Grey Cup appearances has dented his rep somewhat, particularly since the East in 2016 was a tire fire (mostly due to Montreal's dysfunction and Toronto imploding). Injuries happen to every team, so it's not really an excuse.

Austin needs Collaros to be healthy and productive for a whole season to make the case that the team is still ascending IMO and to justify the huge contract. If 2017 is another year marred by Collaros being injured and no Grey Cup appearance -- which is the bar now, Hamilton fans, because when you succeed the bar gets raised -- there is going to be an increasingly strong case for arguing that the team missed its Grey Cup window and is on the downswing. If Collaros stays healthy and the team goes deep into the playoffs, that talk will disappear, and rightly so.

Reinebold is the wild card. If his defense can be effective with little or no drop-off from Steinauer, it gives the team a better cushion against offensive injuries. If Reinebold calls the same kind of predictable game he did when he was Montreal's DC in 2012, it could be a long season for Cats fans.
In the CFL the only deep in the playoffs is the Grey Cup. The defense was terrible last year so I don't expect a drop off

Palmer

In the CFL the only deep in the playoffs is the Grey Cup. The defense was terrible last year so I don't expect a drop off

Hmmm.  Maybe a good point.

disciplineandpunish

In the CFL the only deep in the playoffs is the Grey Cup.

Well, I get your position, but if you go to the big game, that's far better than just making the playoffs or winning a semifinal game.

The defense was terrible last year so I don't expect a drop off

Was it terrible? This is a general and legitimate question for Cats fan. Based on the games I saw, the D didn't seem horrendous, just non-elite, possibly due to injuries or talent leaving.

Grover

Quote from: "disciplineandpunish"
In the CFL the only deep in the playoffs is the Grey Cup.

Well, I get your position, but if you go to the big game, that's far better than just making the playoffs or winning a semifinal game.

The defense was terrible last year so I don't expect a drop off

Was it terrible? This is a general and legitimate question for Cats fan. Based on the games I saw, the D didn't seem horrendous, just non-elite, possibly due to injuries or talent leaving.

Horrendous lack of tackling!  :(

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Users Online

76 Guests, 8 Users (10 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Lyle B. Style, sully, Braleyneedstogo, PTBO Dave, Mightygoose, schmenger, Yahoo!, Google (9)

Most Online Today: 161. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)