my home team

Quote from: "Obrigardo"
Austin has been a 500 coach  running the ticat organization he's made all football decisions up to now.I think if this year goes sour like last year he'll be on the bubble 5years is enough

And I guess making it to the cup in his first two years and the playoffs after that, once with his backup quarterback shouldn't matter.

And Ottawa won the grey cup with less than a 500 record.

my home team

Quote from: "Krisiun"
Quote from: "seymour"
Quote from: "NZFan"
If the boys down the road should have a more successful season this year would the whispers of change begin?

The Argonauts' new brain trust are a proven, championship-winning team. My advice to Bob Young is the following:

WATCH....PAY ATTENTION.....and LEARN!

I don't agree. You're missing the key piece in Popp/Trestman championships which is the mighty Anthony Calvillo.

Since then Trestman has had less than mediocre success in the NFL and Popp ran the CFL Circus.

Their new collaboration with the Argos has no guarantee of success.

Compare the attendance figures of the two over the last few years. Even moving to BMO field did not cheer up their situation. They even bungled the selling of Grey cup tickets this last time around.

They waited a ridiculous amount of time to dispose of a long problematic GM.

They took on Popp, who in his last five years could not find an adequate coach and players, let alone a real starting quarterback. And yes, a horrible head coach.

Oh yeah....that bunch in Toronto could really teach us a lot....

HfxTC

Quote from: "Grover"
Quote from: "guelphcatsfan"
Google translate of Lestaf's comments:

"I think that on the contrary, there will be less pressure on Austin this season. The team will be built with players that Tillman has been looking for, and if it does not perform as well as the ones that Austin has mounted, there will be more questions to ask about Tillman than about Austin.

One more question that I have - Now that Trestman and Popp are confirmed in Toronto, what will Condell do in this team? Trestman does not exactly need an "advisor" to mount an offense.  Marcus Brady was his last offensive coordinator in the CFL and I doubt he will demote him to another position. Trestman has enjoyed working with him since his arrival in the CFL, and he sometimes over values loyalty."

(Not sure if I have this exactly right - open to suggestions on the translation)

The Condell question was on my mind too.  Where does he fit in?
I think Condell is the farthest thing from Popp's and Trestmans concerns, Condell has no history with Popp or Trestman or with any players on the team other than Dyakowski and Matthews!
Matthews is a very distant 4th QB in their pecking order and if Dyakowski is a starting  Olineman in July then Ray will get destroyed.
Unless Copeland was stupid enough to sign Condell long term ... Oh wait!  :wink:

I don't know about that. Really Trestman has the choice between Condell or Brady who turned down Trestman's offer of OC in Montreal to take the same job from Milanovich.

Who would you pick ?
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

Grover

Quote from: "HfxTC"
I don't know about that. Really Trestman has the choice between Condell or Brady who turned down Trestman's offer of OC in Montreal to take the same job from Milanovich.

Who would you pick ?

Good point! Condell also has intimate knowledge of Austin's Offence and Collaros' tendencies.  :(

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Slomojo2005

Quote from: "Krisiun"
Quote from: "NZFan"
If the boys down the road should have a more successful season this year would the whispers of change begin?

The Argonauts' new brain trust are a proven, championship-winning team. My advice to Bob Young is the following:

WATCH....PAY ATTENTION.....and LEARN!

I don't agree. You're missing the key piece in Popp/Trestman championships which is the mighty Anthony Calvillo.

Since then Trestman has had less than mediocre success in the NFL and Popp ran the CFL Circus.

Their new collaboration with the Argos has no guarantee of success.

The key to championship-winning team in Montreal?  I think it had a lot to do with what we as TiCats are needing...... A STRONG OFFENSIVE LINE THAT ALLOWS QB TO HAVE A GOOD LOOK

Slomojo2005

The key to championship-winning team in Montreal?  I think it had a lot to do with what we as TiCats are needing...... A STRONG OFFENSIVE LINE THAT ALLOWS QB TO HAVE A GOOD LOOK, have a Tims coffee and donut before throwing.
Yes Calvilho was a good quarterback but without that O-line he had, they wouldn't have seen the success they did.

seymour

Quote from: "Slomojo2005"
Yes Calvilho was a good quarterback but without that O-line he had, they wouldn't have seen the success they did.

Calvillo's talents complemented the offensive line. His quick read /quick release capability required the line to hold their blocks for a relatively short count. Most of the time the ball was gone before a strong pass rush could disrupt Calvillo. Trestman's offense maximized Calvillo's skills and Popp sourced the players that could execute the quick read/quick release passing offense. Championships ensued and the rest is history

Collaros has a relatively slow release - the Alouettes' former offensive line would not be as successful playing in front of Collaros in my opinion.

seymour

Quote from: "PatLynch"
As for my advice to Bob Young, I wouldn't presume to tell him to watch, pay attention, and learn(in capital letters). The man is a highly successful business man who didn't get to where he is by being less capable than his competition.

Successfully owning and operating a winning sports franchise requires a different knowledge base and skills compared to being a successful computer geek.

Unless Bob Young is brain dead, this past CFL season must have been a huge wake-up call for him. In only its THIRD season, not only does Ottawa win a Grey Cup, but it does so while being led by a future Hall of Fame quarterback who Austin/Tillman gave up on and who, with smart coaching and support, went on a win a Grey Cup, be named league MOP and Grey Cup MVP. In addition, Burris was assisted by a few other key REDBLACKS' players who Austin/Tillman failed to hold on to.

Meanwhile, poor Bob remains Cupless.

Slomojo2005

Quote from: "PatLynch"
As for my advice to Bob Young, I wouldn't presume to tell him to watch, pay attention, and learn(in capital letters). The man is a highly successful business man who didn't get to where he is by being less capable than his competition.

Successfully owning and operating a winning sports franchise requires a different knowledge base and skills compared to being a successful computer geek.

Unless Bob Young is brain dead, this past CFL season must have been a huge wake-up call for him. In only its THIRD season, not only does Ottawa win a Grey Cup, but it does so while being led by a future Hall of Fame quarterback who Austin/Tillman gave up on and who, with smart coaching and support, went on a win a Grey Cup, be named league MOP and Grey Cup MVP. In addition, Burris was assisted by a few other key REDBLACKS' players who Austin/Tillman failed to hold on to.

Meanwhile, poor Bob remains Cupless.

Let's stop talking as if the Redblacks are the greatest team that ever was!  They played well in GC and got pretty lucky. Should have lost if not for the over- confidence of Stamps and the goal line play in reg time.

DavidC

Quote from: "Slomojo2005"
Let's stop talking as if the Redblacks are the greatest team that ever was!  They played well in GC and got pretty lucky. Should have lost if not for the over- confidence of Stamps and the goal line play in reg time.

The Redblacks won. And that is all that matters.
“It’s an unscrupulous intellect that doesn’t pay reverence to antiquity.” Erasmus

stevehvh

I don't think Bob Young's business background is an impediment to success as the owner of the Ticats. Some owners are successful with a sports industry background, others aren't. Some owners with no sports industry background have quite a bit of success, others don't. Larry Ryckman turned around a flailing Stampeders franchise with no sports experience. David Bradley saved three CFL teams. The first was the Ticats, and he wasn't a sports owner before that I believe. Mike Ilitch did ok owning the Red Wings and Tigers, and he was in the pizza business. Jeff Hunt in Ottawa has done well, he owned the 67s hockey team. And Bob Wettenhall had a piece of the Patriots once upon a time. I think it can go either way.

I'm very glad Bob Young owns the Ticats. He's intelligent, committed, hires smart, capable people, and he's invested a lot in the enterprise. I would not denigrate his experience in any way.
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
- Hubert H. Humphrey

PatLynch

Well said Steve! :D  :D  :D

Pat Lynch (the old Caretaker fan)

seymour

Quote from: "stevehvh"
I'm very glad Bob Young owns the Ticats. He's intelligent, committed, hires smart, capable people, and he's invested a lot in the enterprise.

If what you state is true, then my earlier post must also be true. I repeat... the Grey Cup win by Ottawa last season had to be a huge reality check for Bob Young. He believes he has hired "smart, capable people" and he's definitely invested a lot in the enterprise. And yet Bob watches as, in only three years, Ottawa wins a Grey Cup, and to add insult to injury, they do so while being led by a future Hall of Fame quarterback, who his "smart, capable people" gave up on. That same quarterback, with astute coaching and support, went on to win a Grey Cup, be named the league's Most Outstanding Player and also the Grey Cup Most Valuable Player.  Some other key Ottawa players who greatly contributed to the Grey Cup winning season were also once on Hamilton's roster.

Meanwhile, after some 15 years owning the Tiger-Cats and pouring money into this organization, Bob Young remains Cupless. If he's paying attention at all, Bob must be asking himself some very pointed questions.

stevehvh

If what you state is true, then it is pointless for Ticat fans to hope for success as long as the team is owned by a computer geek whose background and experience, not involving any previous sports ownership, do not give him the necessary knowledge or skills.

I don't share your assessment of his qualifications for his role.

I'm sure he asks himself every year what he should do to make the franchise more successful. If he thinks he should change the senior management, no doubt he'll do so.

seymour

If what you state is true, then it is pointless for Ticat fans to hope for success as long as the team is owned by a computer geek whose background and experience, not involving any previous sports ownership, do not give him the necessary knowledge or skills.

Why do you assume that Bob is incapable of acquiring the knowledge required to own a successful, winning sports franchise? Surely he has learned a lot in the fifteen or so years he has owned the team.

I don't share your assessment of his qualifications for his role.

I didn't state that Bob was not qualified for the role. I simply stated that last season must have given him cause to reassess.

If he thinks he should change the senior management, no doubt he'll do so.

If it gets to that point, I hope he will have the courage of his convictions.

Users Online

135 Guests, 21 Users (11 Spiders, 4 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
catsteelers2002, DavidThompson, tabbiefanmcb, tcmike, Taleback, Mightygoose, Oskie18, raymarkca, ExPat, Lyle B. Style, cheater, jim43bob, rcon, PTBO Dave, heapbag, ed ohmnes, ExPat, Google (10), Baidu

Most Online Today: 213. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)