NZFan

With the Dynamic Do-Overs running things in TO now, does this put more pressure on Coach Austin? If the boys down the road should have a more successful season this year would the whispers of change begin? I personally don't think he could put more pressure on himself or else he'd literally explode. And, I like almost all the moves being made thus far. It just got a lot more interesting, and that in itself is a good thing.  :D

15_championships

Hopefully not, if we even considered getting rid of him i'd be so mad. I dont forget how many HC's we've been through in the new millenium, and I know how many come in highly touted and just flop. Austins done better with this team than anybody since Lancaster. Back to back grey cup appearances and never once out of the playoffs.

Count Floyd

Quote from: "15_championships"
Hopefully not, if we even considered getting rid of him i'd be so mad. I dont forget how many HC's we've been through in the new millenium, and I know how many come in highly touted and just flop. Austins done better with this team than anybody since Lancaster. Back to back grey cup appearances and never once out of the playoffs.

Agreed.  Can't argue with results.  That being said, the ultimate measure is winning it all.  Who out there who's available would do better than Austin?

Grover

Tillman taking over the GM duties seems much more obvious this year, this will lighten the huge workload that Austin had in previous seasons and let him concentrate more on the "on Field" aspects and much less on Contracts.
We should remember that Austin had more than a few doctors appointments last season!
IMHO there will be absolutely no pressure from Caretaker or Scott Mitchell on Austin, all pressure will come from Austin's own intense competitive self.

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

LeStaf

Quote from: "Grover"
Tillman taking over the GM duties seems much more obvious this year, this will lighten the huge workload that Austin had in previous seasons and let him concentrate more on the "on Field" aspects and much less on Contracts.
We should remember that Austin had more than a few doctors appointments last season!
IMHO there will be absolutely no pressure from Caretaker or Scott Mitchell on Austin, all pressure will come from Austin's own intense competitive self.

Je pense même qu'au contraire, il y aura moins de pression sur Austin cette saison.  L'équipe sera bâtie avec des joueurs que Tillman aura été chercher, et si elle ne performe pas autant que celles qu'Austin a montées, il y aura davantage de questions à se poser à propos de Tillman qu'à propos d'Austin.

Une question de plus me travaille.  Maintenant que Trestman et Popp sont confirmés à Toronto, que fera Condell dans cette équipe?  Trestman n'a pas exactement besoin d'un "conseiller" pour monter une attaque.  Marcus Brady a été son dernier coordonnateur à l'attaque dans la LCF et je doute qu'il le rétrograde à un autre poste. Trestman a adoré travailler avec lui depuis son arrivée dans la LCF, et il pêche parfois par excès de loyauté.
[size=150]For translation  ---->[/size]  http://translate.google.ca/

guelphcatsfan

Google translate of Lestaf's comments:

"I think that on the contrary, there will be less pressure on Austin this season. The team will be built with players that Tillman has been looking for, and if it does not perform as well as the ones that Austin has mounted, there will be more questions to ask about Tillman than about Austin.

One more question that I have - Now that Trestman and Popp are confirmed in Toronto, what will Condell do in this team? Trestman does not exactly need an "advisor" to mount an offense.  Marcus Brady was his last offensive coordinator in the CFL and I doubt he will demote him to another position. Trestman has enjoyed working with him since his arrival in the CFL, and he sometimes over values loyalty."

(Not sure if I have this exactly right - open to suggestions on the translation)

The Condell question was on my mind too.  Where does he fit in?

Grover

Quote from: "guelphcatsfan"

"I think that on the contrary, there will be less pressure on Austin this season. The team will be built with players that Tillman has been looking for, and if it does not perform as well as the ones that Austin has mounted, there will be more questions to ask about Tillman than about Austin.

One more question that I have - Now that Trestman and Popp are confirmed in Toronto, what will Condell do in this team? Trestman does not exactly need an "advisor" to mount an offense.  Marcus Brady was his last offensive coordinator in the CFL and I doubt he will demote him to another position. Trestman has enjoyed working with him since his arrival in the CFL, and he sometimes over values loyalty."

(Not sure if I have this exactly right - open to suggestions on the translation)

I think Condell is the farthest thing from Popp's and Trestmans concerns, Condell has no history with Popp or Trestman or with any players on the team other than Dyakowski and Matthews!
Matthews is a very distant 4th QB in their pecking order and if Dyakowski is a starting  Olineman in July then Ray will get destroyed.
Unless Copeland was stupid enough to sign Condell long term ... Oh wait!  :wink:

seymour

Quote from: "NZFan"
If the boys down the road should have a more successful season this year would the whispers of change begin?

The answer to your question depends on how desperate Bob Young becomes in his quest to buy a Grey Cup. How much longer will he duped into throwing money at this team when prompted by the management group and still remain Cup-less?

The Argonauts' new brain trust are a proven, championship-winning team. My advice to Bob Young is the following:

WATCH....PAY ATTENTION.....and LEARN!

tabbiefanmcb

Quote from: "Grover"
Quote from: "guelphcatsfan"

I think Condell is the farthest thing from Popp's and Trestmans concerns, Condell has no history with Popp or Trestman or with any players on the team other than Dyakowski and Matthews!
Matthews is a very distant 4th QB in their pecking order and if Dyakowski is a starting  Olineman in July then Ray will get destroyed.
Unless Copeland was stupid enough to sign Condell long term ... Oh wait!  :wink:

Condell was brought in as a consultant only.   I doubt there's any guarantee that he'd be given any kind of coaching position on the team.  You're right gcf - he has no history with either Popp or Trestman - or the Argos for that matter.

Krisiun

Quote from: "seymour"
Quote from: "NZFan"
If the boys down the road should have a more successful season this year would the whispers of change begin?

The Argonauts' new brain trust are a proven, championship-winning team. My advice to Bob Young is the following:

WATCH....PAY ATTENTION.....and LEARN!

I don't agree. You're missing the key piece in Popp/Trestman championships which is the mighty Anthony Calvillo.

Since then Trestman has had less than mediocre success in the NFL and Popp ran the CFL Circus.

Their new collaboration with the Argos has no guarantee of success.

Obrigardo

Austin has been a 500 coach  running the ticat organization he's made all football decisions up to now.I think if this year goes sour like last year he'll be on the bubble 5years is enough

blackandgld

Every year there has been an uncontrollable obstacle to success with Austin in command.
Stadium issues/road games in Guelph, and injuries beyond a reasonable amount.
Coming into this season lets hope the injury bug doesn't bite us again and there are no excuses to not be back on top.

safetyblitz

Quote from: "blackandgld"
Every year there has been an uncontrollable obstacle to success with Austin in command.
Stadium issues/road games in Guelph, and injuries beyond a reasonable amount.
Coming into this season lets hope the injury bug doesn't bite us again and there are no excuses to not be back on top.

When you run the ball as infrequently as the Cats do, you're increasing the risk of QB injury. It's like storing gasoline inside your house and then acting surprised when the place burns down.

PatLynch

Grover, as usual, makes a very good point regarding Austin and hospital visits.  The job of coaching is stressful enough without the added burden of general manager. Eric Tillman is excellent at the job, therefore one less worry for Kent.   I believe that Kent and the Cats are in for a very good year.

As for my advice to Bob Young, I wouldn't presume to tell him to watch, pay attention, and learn(in capital letters). The man is a highly successful business man who didn't get to where he is by being less capable than his competition. :roll:

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

72er

We all know Austin's track record;

'13 - win East final in Toronto, advance to Grey Cup
'14 - win East final at home, advance to Grey Cup
'15 - lose East final in Ottawa
'16 - lose semi-final at home
'17 - ?

Could argue player injuries, player trades, coaching changes through the last 4 seasons have impacted success, but it's difficult to have a blind-faith attitude of Coach Austin.

Users Online

176 Guests, 15 Users (10 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mightygoose, bobo82, Farnorthtrader, Lyle B. Style, BillyDee87, Grover, mr62cats, dcmoses, sth1988, pikk, raymarkca, Hamilton2005, blackandgld, Buck Wild, Google (10)

Most Online Today: 268. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)