Argofan_1000

Lets hope this moves forward. Lions too exciting to not fill the stadium. Found this info today about the Canuck owner making an offer on the Lions. League needs some resolution to the ownership issue. What is the stadium deal, does the team have a part in concessions?

http://theprovince.com/sports/football/ ... -b-c-lions

drummer_god

Got to get Braley as far away from the CFL as possible.

KevinRiley2

The article makes some good points.  Braley needs to walk away but you can just feel his resistance - he probably wants to die owning the team.  Problem is, if this potential owner loses interest, what do you have left?

Thank you, Mr. Braley, for everything you've done, but it's time to walk away.

Xvys

Mr. Braley did say he wanted to sell one of his team's by the time he retired at 75, which he did, selling the Argos to 62.5% of MLSE which invested millions to convert BMO for Canadian football. He also said he might sell both teams, admitting he had multiple groups who had interest in purchasing the Lions.

The Stamps were actually valued at $20M when they bought majority control of the team (because that's what they reportedly paid for their shares.) That was before the TSN contract more than doubled...and sponsorships and merchandise revenue ballooned for many teams.

Braley asking $30M or $40M for the Lions is a bargain by any measure. The local Whitecaps are valued at 3 or 4 times more, despite having lower gross revenues than the Lions and much higher expenses (i.e. MLS teams are money pits)...both playing out of the fabulous 56,000-seat retractable dome B.C. Place stadium with the 2nd-largest video screen in North America.

NHL/CFL co-ownership is trending in many markets, Calgary; Toronto; in Ottawa with the RedBlacks/67's/Fury and now in Vancouver? With the emergence of CPL (Canadian Premier League soccer) teams which will be operated by several CFL franchises. Co-ownership of sports franchises is happening, big-time in Canada, my friends.

I believe this franchise co-ownership is a good thing for the CFL...as long as these ancillary franchises make money and aren't a money-drain for their CFL team.

Argonauts est.1873

I thought he was dead, Weekend At Braley's.
Rescue the sunken \'Good Ship Argonaut\' and restore her in 2017, PLEASE!!!!

Stay in Canada, spend in Canada!!!!!

HfxTC

Local ownership with deep pockets and a successful at least financially running a pro team. Mr. Braley should do the right thing. 20 to 25 million is probably the right price. Unless he's got a better offer ???
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

ArgoT

I agree why does some anti CFL media always devalue the CFL properties.
It's the Rogers agenda, almost like fake news now a big deal in the States.
Every sports US wannabe league increases in value except our great institution with awesome TV revenues and numbers?
Hmm can you say conspiracy?

Argofan_1000

Quote from: "ArgoT"
I agree why does some anti CFL media always devalue the CFL properties.
It's the Rogers agenda, almost like fake news now a big deal in the States.
Every sports US wannabe league increases in value except our great institution with awesome TV revenues and numbers?
Hmm can you say conspiracy?

No protection for most Canadian Institutions except Bell and Rogers. Rogers being anti Canadian anyway. Both broadcasting mostly American programing.

Part that really bugs me is that Rogers must think there is an entitlement to the protection. Either protect with regulation, Canadian content rules similar to the music industry or let AT&T Comcast or any other US carriers in. We wouldn't see any difference in content except the price will be lower

jamie

I have no idea what a true value is for any CFL franchise might be. The Lions, Eskimos and Sask I know have some hard assets-real estate etc.  Montreal/Toronto seem to have nothing tangible. For some buyers owning it at a loss pays off in other areas-cross merchandizing etc.
Certainly the value has to be tied somewhat to profit/loss I would think. Which is hard to determine for most without seeing the books. We do know that the public teams and certainly Sask are making money.

HfxTC

Quote from: "jamie"
I have no idea what a true value is for any CFL franchise might be. The Lions, Eskimos and Sask I know have some hard assets-real estate etc.  Montreal/Toronto seem to have nothing tangible. For some buyers owning it at a loss pays off in other areas-cross merchandizing etc.
Certainly the value has to be tied somewhat to profit/loss I would think. Which is hard to determine for most without seeing the books. We do know that the public teams and certainly Sask are making money.

Its really easy. It is what ever someone is willing to pay for it.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

PTBO Dave

Quote from: "HfxTC"
Quote from: "jamie"

Its really easy. It is what ever someone is willing to pay for it.

Heh, that's the truth. But it's difficult for the fans and media to guess at that amount until we see a bill of sale, which never happens.
Don't tell anyone, but actually I'm Pat, too.

-Hammer-

Quote from: "Xvys"
Mr. Braley did say he wanted to sell one of his team's by the time he retired at 75, which he did, selling the Argos to 62.5% of MLSE which invested millions to convert BMO for Canadian football. He also said he might sell both teams, admitting he had multiple groups who had interest in purchasing the Lions.

The Stamps were actually valued at $20M when they bought majority control of the team (because that's what they reportedly paid for their shares.) That was before the TSN contract more than doubled...and sponsorships and merchandise revenue ballooned for many teams.

Braley asking $30M or $40M for the Lions is a bargain by any measure. The local Whitecaps are valued at 3 or 4 times more, despite having lower gross revenues than the Lions and much higher expenses (i.e. MLS teams are money pits)...both playing out of the fabulous 56,000-seat retractable dome B.C. Place stadium with the 2nd-largest video screen in North America.

NHL/CFL co-ownership is trending in many markets, Calgary; Toronto; in Ottawa with the RedBlacks/67's/Fury and now in Vancouver? With the emergence of CPL (Canadian Premier League soccer) teams which will be operated by several CFL franchises. Co-ownership of sports franchises is happening, big-time in Canada, my friends.

I believe this franchise co-ownership is a good thing for the CFL...as long as these ancillary franchises make money and aren't a money-drain for their CFL team.

I completely agree, and it's happening more and more. One single owner, owning all the sports properties in a city, as it offers a lot of spinoffs. I for one hope that it does happen. $40 million though, is still pretty cheap, considering what the current TV deal is paying.

As far as the valuation of CFL teams, they've always been on the low end, and will stay low compare to MLS for one reason alone. CFL player contracts aren't worth a lot, because the only other individuals who would look to purchase them are the NFL (who for the most part already has the cream of the crop as far as players) or the Arena League or similar low end Football leagues, who simply put, can't afford most of them. MLS on the other hand, if say TFC went bankrupt, you'd have teams from all over the world bidding on those contracts at auction. That and the promise of one day, MLS TV revenue becoming realised in the US inflates the number.

As far as the CPL, one hopes it comes to fruition, the biggest question mark for those teams are in fact Winnipeg, Regina and Edmonton. Winnipeg and Regina are both community owned, it's hard to justify investment to the public, in a league that from the get go, is expecting losses for likely the first 5-10 years. Edmonton, this situation is further compounded by FC Edmonton and the presence of the Fath's, who seem to have substantial investment in the NASL and don't seem willing to jump ship for any reason, but as a last resort.

Les Tigre-Chats de Hamilton - Naufrage des navires depuis 1869

Grover

The Redblacks paid $7M for a franchise fee to the CFL just to join in 2014.
This is without a Head Office, Stadium, practice facility, office staff, GM, Coaching staff, scouting staff , players, equipment, etc., etc., ...

IMHO $20M would be a steal, $30M would be reasonable and Braley would do well at $40M

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

ArgoT

Many US NHL teams and especially  in the deep south and Arizona are losing a boatload  of money annually, as  hemorrhaging big time.
Yet  their values remain  artificially set high.
Same thing here in the city for the Crap Jays who have lost anywhere from $20M-$40M a year for the crooked Rogers with the TV programming  allegedly offsetting this loss.
The ponzy  scheme known as the MLS has  three quarters of the team also in the red, but  like PT Barnum said stupid individuals come forward to pay the absurd franchise fees.
There is no question based on the above irrational summary,  that our best franchise the Riders now with a dream stadium and being what #3 in overall merchandise sale in the country is valued well north of $100M.

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "Grover"
IMHO $20M would be a steal, $30M would be reasonable and Braley would do well at $40M
^^That sums it up nicely.^^

Users Online

61 Guests, 3 Users (6 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
KevinRiley2, bohdon, Red Head, Google (6)

Most Online Today: 94. Most Online Ever: 225 (Aug 15 2017, 11:52 AM)