Access_Media

Everyone needs to settle down on the news front that soccer got on the CTV schedule. Its not all what it seems for the tv contract for the MLS and CFL dealings with TSN.

Here is the rundown. TSN and CFL have a deal in place where CFL is #1 on their platform. The TSN offers this due to the CFL being after the NHL the networks greatest asset. They guarantee schedule dates and front line production from week 1 to Grey Cup on all platforms.

Now for soccer. TSN wanted to regional for TFC but during negotiations no other networks really stepped up to offer MLS/TFC/Vancouver anything that TSN could not or would not. Sportsnet and CBC saw very little to no reason to big for MLS.

So TSN made an attempt to guarantee every game on more than 1 regional network and on the main network TSN1 during non CFL-Hockey-NFL-MLB-NBA events.

So when the schedule came out TSN could not offer their end of the bargain as there were soooo many conflicted dates.

The biggest is the NCAA Basketball. TSN would not budge for soccer so Bell (unhappy doing so) got the games on CTV during poor programming dates. Thus there are other conflicted dates and reason why CTV was willing to adjust.

jamie

Ah...the ban has been lifted! Finally.
FREE ACCESS_MEDIA

Access_Media

And I was informed that if ratings are as equal to last season TSN will only put the game on regional in '18 and may not cover all games.

TSN deal with MLS is extremely small and TSN has not been able to even fill advertising spots this close to season.

Its a bad move for TSN to get into the soccer biz but they did it for a future business decision.

ArgoT

Quote from: "Access_Media"
Everyone needs to settle down on the news front that soccer got on the CTV schedule. Its not all what it seems for the tv contract for the MLS and CFL dealings with TSN.

Here is the rundown. TSN and CFL have a deal in place where CFL is #1 on their platform. The TSN offers this due to the CFL being after the NHL the networks greatest asset. They guarantee schedule dates and front line production from week 1 to Grey Cup on all platforms.

Now for soccer. TSN wanted to regional for TFC but during negotiations no other networks really stepped up to offer MLS/TFC/Vancouver anything that TSN could not or would not. Sportsnet and CBC saw very little to no reason to big for MLS.

So TSN made an attempt to guarantee every game on more than 1 regional network and on the main network TSN1 during non CFL-Hockey-NFL-MLB-NBA events.

So when the schedule came out TSN could not offer their end of the bargain as there were soooo many conflicted dates.

The biggest is the NCAA Basketball. TSN would not budge for soccer so Bell (unhappy doing so) got the games on CTV during poor programming dates. Thus there are other conflicted dates and reason why CTV was willing to adjust.

You can spin it any way you want, MLS does not deserve any coverage.
As for the CFL, being  the number 1 summer property and  overall close to number 1 there is absolutely no reason why the playoffs and GC should not be shown exclusively on the mother network or at least simulcast.
It's a mega slap in the face.
I hope during the next contract discussion these crucial blunders are corrected not to mention at least doubling the annual fees.
If not.....walk.

HfxTC

Not buying that. TSN has five stations...
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

Access_Media

Quote from: "HfxTC"

5 stations covering other TSN programs and multiple NCAA basketball games. This is the reason. If you do not like it. Deal with it.

Xvys

Thanks for the info, AM, now it makes sense. CTV has very little on Sat. afternoons and few opportunities to sim-sub, so either it's "Fishfull Thinking" or MLS, i guess.

I had also heard that TSN could not sell all ad spots for TFC and WCaps games last year. It was tweeted that TFC averaged 40k viewers and WC 62k in the reg. season, which is very poor for Canada's No. 1 cable network. I'm not surprised they bid low.

I doubt CFL reg. season games on CTV would add many viewers, maybe 50k to 100k. But TSN would lose it's CFL exclusive and the league risks having their status on TSN diminished. The playoffs and Grey Cup would likely see a much bigger spurt of viewers with  CTV added to TSN.

TSN3,4,5 are regional channels and supposedly TSN1 too. So putting MLS games on TSN4, for example, would see only one region having access to the games (unless households optionally subscribe to all TSN channels).

MLS has virtually no viewers on the prairies or maritimes, with fans in Mtl, Tor & Van mainly interested in their own team, not other MLS games.

-Hammer-

Quote from: "ArgoT"
You can spin it any way you want, MLS does not deserve any coverage.
As for the CFL, being  the number 1 summer property and  overall close to number 1 there is absolutely no reason why the playoffs and GC should not be shown exclusively on the mother network or at least simulcast.
It's a mega slap in the face.
I hope during the next contract discussion these crucial blunders are corrected not to mention at least doubling the annual fees.
If not.....walk.

I wouldn`'t go the far, I mean the recent games of TFC vs Montreal showing an actual rivalry and of course the MLS Cup performance of TFC did show that there is a market and a potential for viewership in soccer in Canada. Those games are the only ones you can consider "Canadian Content" by the CRTC, so in that regard, yes they are worth it.

That said, MLS games that don't involve the three Canadian MLS franchises, you are completely right. No one in Canada cares if San Jose plays Dallas in soccer, nor should they because fundamentally a local connection or a high level of play is why people tune in, and no one is going to say MLS has a high level of play, when the EPL is readily available on TV.

Another reason I for one am hoping the CanPL comes around to grow the game of soccer in our country. We deserve better then three teams, and MLS's plan to try to copy the MLB and NBA (only a few or one team representing the nation) I would love to see fall through.

As far as renegotiating the contract, I would bring it up, but this should not be a deal breaker next contract. I have severe doubts that Sportsnet, even if they owned the rights, would ever provide the level of marketing for the CFL, if only because they aren't about to sabotage the Jays, who I would expect to start tanking in 4-5 years, once the Yankees and Red Sox have their houses in order.

Les Tigre-Chats de Hamilton - Naufrage des navires depuis 1869

Neely2005

Quote from: "HfxTC"

5 stations covering other TSN programs and multiple NCAA basketball games. This is the reason. If you do not like it. Deal with it.

B.S. Most of the time TSN is showing the same thing at the same time on multiple channels.
"ALL-TIME RECORDS

Grey Cup Wins:

16- Toronto Argonauts
14- Edmonton Eskimos
10- Winnipeg Blue Bombers
8- Hamilton Tiger-Cats
7- Ottawa Rough Riders
7- Montreal Alouettes
7- Calgary Stampeders
6- B.C. Lions
4- Saskatchewan Roughriders"

http://www.cfl.ca/2010/12/02/by-the-num ... cup-glory/

TravelPat1

Yay - our fiction writer is back - and doesn't disappoint in this post!

TSN1 - the main regional channel for BC and Alberta only - he is still insisting is TSN's main channel.  lol

And the biggest reason for 7 MLS games being on CTV is NCAA basketball?

OK that might make sense for one of the seven dates.  But the other six games on CTV are not in conflict with NCAA Basketball games.

So try again fiction -  oops I mean access.

HfxTC

Maaaaaaaat's Daaaaaaaaaaad
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.

slimjim2

Now for soccer. TSN wanted to regional for TFC but during negotiations no other networks really stepped up to offer MLS/TFC/Vancouver anything that TSN could not or would not. Sportsnet and CBC saw very little to no reason to bid for MLS.

Not true -  Sportsnet 360 is showing 12 TFC games this year in addition to the TSN/CTV games
http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2016/02/23 ... -announced

Also the Impact have all of their games on TVA Sports,  the exception is when they play the one game against Vancouver (CTV) and their TFC game when TSN and TVA will broadcast the games.
Unless you subscribe to TVA sports which is not available outside of Quebec you won't see the Impact and ratings are meaningless if you are trying to do a comparison to other sports.
http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/schedule

All of Vancouver's games are on TSN,  except the one game against Montreal on CTV and a week later on CTV against Minnesota

letsgoticats

Quote from: "slimjim2"

Not true -  Sportsnet 360 is showing 12 TFC games this year in addition to the TSN/CTV games

Also the Impact have all of their games on TVA Sports,  the exception is when they play the one game against Vancouver (CTV) and their TFC game when TSN and TVA will broadcast the games.
Unless you subscribe to TVA sports which is not available outside of Quebec you won't see the Impact and ratings are meaningless if you are trying to do a comparison to other sports.

All of Vancouver's games are on TSN,  except the one game against Montreal on CTV and a week later on CTV against Minnesota

TSN/CTV is the only network showing TFC games.  That link is one year old.

slimjim2

Quote from: "letsgoticats"
Quote from: "slimjim2"

TSN/CTV is the only network showing TFC games.  That link is one year old.

Ouch!  my mistake.
Here is the 2017 - only 3 games on CTV
http://www.torontofc.ca/post/2017/02/09 ... -announced

argonaut11xx

Who Cares???

Nobody watches mls anyways....

CTV is shooting itself in the head.
STICKS AND STONES MAY BRAKE MY BONES, BUT NAMES WILL NEVER HURT ME ...don\'t need a "safe space" ever...

Users Online

63 Guests, 2 Users (1 Spider)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Niagara Als, AlsPal, Google

Most Online Today: 105. Most Online Ever: 225 (Aug 15 2017, 11:52 AM)