TravelPat1

Quote from: "Aerial"
To be fair though, and I'm not a Leafs fan, the Caps are a much better team but didn't look all that much better really, just enough to get past the Leafs.

Exactly Earl.  The rookie laden Leafs - who we hoped might win one game against the Presidents Cup winners - instead gave Washington everything they could handle and even surprised the most optimistic Leafs fans by forcing the Caps to overtime 5 times in six games with some of the most exciting and entertaining playoff hockey we've seen in these parts in several years. VERY entertaining and exciting hockey games.

And hence this was the reaction of the awesome Leafs crowd at the ACC after the game tonight.
https://www.facebook.com/torontomaplele ... 854275199/

Fantastic to see former Leaf Clark McArthur score the OT  goal to eliminate the Brruins today. After what he's gone through the lat two years even if he weren't a fomer Leaf I'd be cheering fo him.

Lyle B. Style

To be fair though, and I'm not a Leafs fan, the Caps are a much better team but didn't look all that much better really, just enough to get past the Leafs.

The Caps played slightly under their pay grade - while the Leafs played slightly above their own - - - hence a 6 game series where 5 games went to OT.

Caps should be able to cure some of their scoring woes in next series - Pens are down K Letang and Murray seems to have gone lame, leaving Marc Andre Fivehole as the Pens main goaler. At 32/33 Fleury no longer has the super-stop abilities like Holtby.

Unless Sid & Malkin go crazy - I'll pick the Caps in 5 or 6 - and I'm the biggest Sid fan in the land! Hope I'm wrong! :cowboy:

Sid wins another Cup - and other hardware I'm prepared to put him up into the Top 5 Players of all-time.

Current list is: 1. Gretzky, 2. Lemieux, 3. Orr, 4. Howe, 5. Richard, 6. Hull, 7. Yzerman, 8. Bossy, 9. Nik Lidstrom, 10. Doug Harvey, Bryan Trottier, Jonathan Toews, (tie)

PS. Jean Beliveau, La Gros Bill deserves to be in the Top 10 to be sure. So does that great New York Islander defense-man of years ago!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

drummer_god

Quote from: "drummer_god"
In the East: Washington over Toronto. Montreal over New York. Pittsburgh over Columbus. Boston over Ottawa.

In the West: Chicago over Nashville. St Louis over Minnesota. Calgary over Anaheim. Edmonton over San Jose.

Well, I went 4 of 8.

TravelPat1

Quote from: "TravelPat1"
In the east Washington, Rangers, Sens and Pens
In the west Chicago, Anaheim, Oilers and Blues.

I got 7 of 8 right.

drummer_god

Very good, travel.  
Who do you like in Rd 2?

I'm picking:

Pittsburgh
New York
Nashville
Edmonton

TravelPat1

This round is tough picks for me.  I keep flip flopping on my choices - lol.

I guess for the record I'll go with the Blues, Ducks, Raangers and Caps. And unlike the last round I do expect we will see some Game 7's this round.

Aerial

Senators looked good last night.  Looks like probably due to high prices they were short of a sellout.  

The Senators had no comment when asked about the empty seats at the game and the attendance was not announced. The official game sheet said 16,744 fans were in the 19,153-seat arena.

The cheapest available seat for Thursday's game was $96 and parking rose to $30. Staff members could be seen pulling free giveaway towels off the empty seats.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 75383.html
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

West

A big night the other night for Draisaitl and a big win on the road for our beloved Oilers. It was a fun ride in the first round getting to take in 3 games. I have my tickets for this round as well. Here's hoping for another big win tonight and a 2-0 lead coming back home.

TravelPat1

Shocking really Earl. Bit of a discussion about this in the CFL attendance thread in the main forum. I think the funniest/saddest most embarrassing part of the story for the Sens is picturing their arena staff walking up and down the aisles halfway through the first period...

'Excuse me sir. You in Seat 7 - Has anybody sat in those seats 8 and 9 next to you yet?' 'Could you please pass me the towels then.'

Mightygoose

Almost wish my weekend was free as my wife is a Sens fan.

They are in Niagara Falls with pre-arranged plans (just me and the dog this weekend), otherwise, we would have gone up to Ottawa for tomorrow's game. Being 3pm works out great...drop off the dog at the in-laws in Cobourg en-route....would have worked out even better!

drummer_god

If the Sens win the Stanley Cup, would the parade have a better turnout than the RedBlacks' Grey Cup parade?

I think the Redblacks have become Ottawa's most beloved team.

Aerial

You have to think there are way more hockey fans in Ottawa than football fans but maybe some people are getting a bit fed up paying big money for tickets for multimillionaire contracted players who don't put out any more effort than an average paid Canadian football League player.

Lyle B. Style

You have to think there are way more hockey fans in Ottawa than football fans but maybe some people are getting a bit fed up paying big money for tickets for multimillionaire contracted players who don't put out any more effort than an average paid Canadian football League player.

Ottawa isn't exactly an entrenched pro hockey city. Last time they won the Stanley Cup John A. McDonald was still drinking tough stuff.

Plus they have little in the way of secondary markets. In Toronto peeps from within 200 miles regularly go to games plus some from upper New York state. In Montreal its like a giant Regina - the home of hockey in the western hemisphere, great atmosphere and draw from all over Quebec, including many from Ottawa region.

Ottawa is barely bigger than Winnipeg - but with 3,800 more seats. Its a government town where govt. workers don't have much vested interest in their local hockey team - if they don't get free tickets they won't go. Hence the empty seats. Don't think they'll be as many empties for Game 2, given the Ottawa win in game 1 - that said my money is on 750 to 1250 unsold chairs.  :cowboy:

TravelPat1

Quite the comeback by Ottawa today.  

And if somebody told you going into these playoffs that a player in these playoffs would score four goals in one game and asked you to predict which player it would be that would do that - how far down your list would Jean-Gabriel Pageau be?

Aerial

Just watched the highlights but wow, quite a comeback for sure.  Not a lot of defense in that game which isn't what coaches want in the playoffs.

Users Online

83 Guests, 4 Users (13 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
schmenger, Evil Doctor, hendy77, Yahoo!, Google (12)

Most Online Today: 161. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)