rcon

Where are all the negative stories about the MLS from the "Canadian" media during MLS Cup week? They loved to dump all over the CFL during Grey Cup week. Where are mentions of lackluster tv ratings during the regular season (some games had lower ratings than infomercials), the 100 million dollars in league-wide losses last year that MLS had. Not a single peep from the media. Come on guys and gals in the media, you love to slag the CFL all the time. Let's give the MLS its fair share of negative news!!!

BigJoeM

I have to say in this part of the province there is no news about the TFC or MLS it is a non entity .  MLS cup ? Nobody here is talking Toronto soccer . It's a GTA thing ?
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .

TravelPat1

Quote from: "BigJoeM"
I have to say in this part of the province there is no news about the TFC or MLS it is a non entity .  MLS cup ? Nobody here is talking Toronto soccer . It's a GTA thing ?

Could be? They do seem to be getting a fair amount of coverage by Toronto sports media. The cover and next two pages of this morning's Sun sports section were all MLS Cup. And the Star has had several stories on them the last few days too.

And I'm sure there will be a little more hype by Saturday.  

TSN has certainly been running ads for the game every ten minutes it seems on their own network and on CTV.  

It is probably going to be impossible to match the crazy excitement of the insane 2 games against Montreal - but I hope it is a good one - something like a 3-2 thriller with TFC winning would be nice.

Evil Doctor

It will be interesting how they handle the weather.  It's going to be -5 at game time, which will probably mean a rock hard field, possible slippery, and though it's not reporting any snow, a snow squall streamer could easily come off of Lake Huron and turn it into winter wonderland.  It will be interesting how the players handle the cold, probably with the same steely determination they exhibit when another player touches them, in other words roll on the ground like they're shot.

So my prediction: 0-0 decided on penalty kicks, with record high ratings in Canada and record low ratings in the US....

alphamale111

Quote from: "Evil Doctor"
It will be interesting how they handle the weather.  It's going to be -5 at game time, which will probably mean a rock hard field, possible slippery, and though it's not reporting any snow, a snow squall streamer could easily come off of Lake Huron and turn it into winter wonderland.  It will be interesting how the players handle the cold, probably with the same steely determination they exhibit when another player touches them, in other words roll on the ground like they're shot.

So my prediction: 0-0 decided on penalty kicks, with record high ratings in Canada and record low ratings in the US....

No such issues with the field - It has underground heating to prevent the field from freezing.

TravelPat1

And apparently if it snows heavily (which it is not supposed to do until tomorrow) they have orange balls ready.

Media coverage today - at least in the Sun is the full front cover of the paper itself and sports section - and four other pages.

Some other MLS highlights
- over 500 media from around the world have been accredited for the game - aa record for MLS Cup
- the game will be broadcast in 90 languages to over 170 countries
- attendance in the MLS has jumped 40% since 2007
- social media following has jumped 95% in the last year alone
- Atlanta the expansion team have sold 22,000 season tickets for their inaugural season already

With how cold it will be tonight those TFC soccer scarfs will come in handy.  :-)

Mightygoose

According to the weather network the heavy snow should be done around 4:30 so the field should be fine.

As stated earlier, they have underground heaters on the field but I was looking forward to seeing then play in the snow tonight!

TravelPat1

Field is holding up fine. To Extra Time we go. This has to help ratings - now that the Leafs and Habs games are long since over.

Evil Doctor

Quote from: "Evil Doctor"

So my prediction: 0-0 decided on penalty kicks,

TravelPat1

Kudos to you Evil - and you may be right on record high Canadian ratings - but I think you will only go 2 for 3 - because it will not be record low ratings south of the border for an MLS Cup. In fact - I'll go out on a limb and say it will be one of the higher rated MLS Cups south of the border because of the lack of sports competition down there.

TravelPat1

Preliminary FOX overnights had it the highest rated MLS Cup final in 15 years averaging 1.3 million in English in the USA. Not bad considering one of the home markets wasn't counted in those ratings.

Should be Tuesday or Wednesday before final ratings are in for the Spanish language and Canadian ratings and final FOX numbers.

Boy they dodged a bullett with the game being played last night instead of in this snowstorm today.

rcon

Quote from: "TravelPat1"
Preliminary FOX overnights had it the highest rated MLS Cup final in 15 years averaging 1.3 million in English in the USA. Not bad considering one of the home markets wasn't counted in those ratings.

Should be Tuesday or Wednesday before final ratings are in for the Spanish language and Canadian ratings and final FOX numbers.

Boy they dodged a bullett with the game being played last night instead of in this snowstorm today.

1.3 million in the US, for a Championship Game , on a major network, in prime time, is really nothing to crow about Pat. Especially where there was nothing on going up against it.

Aerial

Yikes and can you say yikes again!  A disaster and even Travel has to admit that.  But he won't because the guy is too arrogant.  I like you Travel but your sh....t don't stink to yourself.  The way I see you my man.

Imagine if they did like the Grey Cup and go agains't the NFL on prime time Sunday.  Ratings would have been a total disaster if MLS did that.  They knew they had to go on a Saturday night to even get into the very low million.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

Mr. Pike

Quote from: "TravelPat1"

So .1.3 million for a championship game in a country of 350,000,000 is good ?    holy cow ,  i did not know that !

Aerial

For true major US leagues, that would basically put them out of business in some respects to be known as "major".

Users Online

85 Guests, 12 Users (15 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
sully, The Last Word, bobo82, themuck, Grover, Beam reach, tabbyfan, alphamale111, RedandWhite, raymarkca, Yahoo!, Google (13), Baidu

Most Online Today: 144. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)