wolverine29

I have no issues with Walters saying that.  First it's pretty obvious.  This team has fewer holes in the roster, has  done a good job retaining players to maintain some roster continuity, made some big FA moves already with Stafford and Okpalaugo, and therefore has less money to play with than prior years.  Second, as much as anything, I think it's a bit of a message to players and agents to temper their expectations.  I wouldn't be surprised if, in that in trying to sign their own free agents prior to the deadline, the GMs around the league are finding the asking prices are way too high and that's why there's such a large number of players still unsigned at this point.  This is especially true for the East division teams.  It's already been reported that some GMs are fretting about this.  And finally, I think he says stuff like that to try temper fan expectations but may not necessarily true.  He's never really been one to tip his hat too much as to what he's thinking going into FA.  Everyone thought he was targeting Harris and Medlock last year, no one really foresaw him making a quick move to sign Shologan and Cummings though.  Everyone I think is hoping they deliver Lafrance for Valentine's day, maybe it happens, but I suspect they have their eye on an under the radar move or two.  Cory Greenwood maybe for Nat LB?  Just don't expect a top tier contract like Derek Dennis.

Lyle B. Style

Agree with Wolverine that Derek Dennis is not a thought for K Walters - guy prolly ends up in Regina to shore up a sagging o-line!

LaFrance would be a great V-Day present for the faithful!!!

Nice re-upping of Suk Chungh for an extra year this a.m.!

Some goof on TSN 1290 said Nichols was the highest paid QB in bomber history - guess that goof forgot about the other Matt - Dunigan! (Cal Murphy just about broke the bank, no toilet paper in bomber office for 6 weeks cuz of that) :cowboy:
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

wolverine29

Drake Nevis apparently on the radar.  Could be a nice add to the Dline.  He seemed to have some nice games against us for the TiCats.

papazoola

Quote from: "wolverine29"
Drake Nevis apparently on the radar.  Could be a nice add to the Dline.  He seemed to have some nice games against us for the TiCats.

.....Done deal and our d line just got a whole lot better....Nevis is a fantastic signing...along with Okpalaugo and Westerman we are going to be really solid....now if we can add the other Westerman :cowboy:  :cowboy:
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

papazoola

.... National receiver Matt Coates signs on with us....end of the line for Kohlert ..Coates was late of the Cats and a really nice future target for Nichols....I don't think we're finished yet :roll:

Lyle B. Style

Drake "The Wrapper" Nevis a good and unexpected add for BBs.

Losing Bass hurts a bit but I'm sure there's lots of NFL TWOGs to compete for DLB (Dominant Linebacker)

Bass should thrive in Ottawa's D-system - far superior to Richard Hell's Voidoids - Bass won't get as many reps but will shine in a true rotational system.

Love to acquire the other Westerman - that would top things off quite nicely.

Matt Coates is OK, slight step up from Kohlert is about the best I'll give.

Still need another DL (import or canuck) plus a couple above average WRs (import and/or canuck)

Bit panicky about nobody announced for Fluff Wylie as o-line coach!  :cowboy:

wolverine29

Being reported Jabar Westerman is going to the Als.  Guess no reunion with his brother.

papazoola

.....Almost as big as getting Nevis today is the extension of Chungh till 18'... :thup: Still an outside chance on Westerman with the re-signing of Klassen by the Als. today....Can't see how they can fit all of the guys they have currently on their d line :roll: ..Venable and Cash still out there..

wolverine29

Signed Matt Coates, ex of the Ti-Cats.  Hard to get excited about a guy with 9 receptions for a little over 100 yards in 3 seasons.  Complimentary piece IMO, hardly expect him to become a top tier Nat receiver which we haven't seen around here in a while.  

Bass off to Ottawa. There was a think on TSN that showed Bass and Venable among the top 5-6 players in the CFL last year in missed tackles at around 19%.  They make a lot of plays and are around the ball a lot but that's a big miss rate.  That stat combined with the comments I heard this morning that Venable was not considered a good option at playing MLB, which is our bigger need with the loss of Bass, makes me think he's not a good option here.

Lyle B. Style

Signed Matt Coates, ex of the Ti-Cats.  Hard to get excited about a guy with 9 receptions for a little over 100 yards in 3 seasons.  Complimentary piece IMO, hardly expect him to become a top tier Nat receiver which we haven't seen around here in a while.  

Bass off to Ottawa. There was a think on TSN that showed Bass and Venable among the top 5-6 players in the CFL last year in missed tackles at around 19%.  They make a lot of plays and are around the ball a lot but that's a big miss rate.  That stat combined with the comments I heard this morning that Venable was not considered a good option at playing MLB, which is our bigger need with the loss of Bass, makes me think he's not a good option here.

Coates (9 catches, 100+ yds) is a veritable Jerry Rice when you compare him to current and past bomber WR (canuck) floperoos - ie. Addison Richards, Jade Etienne & that hair-braid guy from the supplemental draft). Richards & Etienne together (the Saskatchewan flunkies) might have had 4 recepts between them in 3 plus seasons!)

papazoola

Quote from: "Lyle B. Style"

Coates (9 catches, 100+ yds) is a veritable Jerry Rice when you compare him to current and past bomber WR (canuck) floperoos - ie. Addison Richards, Jade Etienne & that hair-braid guy from the supplemental draft). Richards & Etienne together (the Saskatchewan flunkies) might have had 4 recepts between them in 3 plus seasons!)

......Coates.....Ham. did not want to see him walk....Good hands and nice size...and as Lyle has pointed out better than the dawgs we've drafted and signed in recent years...and will replace Kohlert quite nicely...Apparently we're talking to Black (argos) and Venable.....no sign of Lafrance and I would imagine he's getting a good look from the riders and apparently 2 other clubs

wolverine29

Quote from: "papazoola"

......Coates.....Ham. did not want to see him walk....Good hands and nice size...and as Lyle has pointed out better than the dawgs we've drafted and signed in recent years...and will replace Kohlert quite nicely...Apparently we're talking to Black (argos) and Venable.....no sign of Lafrance and I would imagine he's getting a good look from the riders and apparently 2 other clubs

We'll see on Coates I suppose.  I'm not sure how you put him ahead of Kohlert based on the last 3 years.  Kohlert's played and made some catches, Coates couldn't get on the field in the Hammer.  It's kind of listening to people say Kyle Knox is better than Khalil Bass.  If that were true then why wasn't Knox playing ahead of Bass, or why did they go to Tony Burnett when Bass was hurt instead of playing Knox?  It's not to say he can't be a better player, however it's hard to say today based on what they've produced that he's a better player.

Lafrance to the Riders official now.  They gave him a lot of money.  Could work out for them, but they gave Matt Walters a lot last year also and now he's looking for work after they couldn't get the same productivity like the Stamps did.  Jones will have to learn to get comfortable playing a Canadian at RB if Lafrance will be worth the money they gave him.

Lyle B. Style

Don't like the fact Corkytown snagged LaFrance over his hometown heroes, da bombers!

If Keenan was offered $18k or more over what Walters offered, that would help me comprehend.

re; extra housing and travel costs from Regina back to his hometown - also - the extra $18 or $20k will partly be eaten up by CRA  :cowboy:

wolverine29

I'm not sure the Bombers would have been offering over 6 figures for a player that would've been a backup RB and has been a starter for only 2 games in his career, even if he was Canadian and a local product.  Outside of your backup QB, in a salary cap like the CFL you can't really have six figure guys sitting on the bench.  We still have Timothy Flanders to back up Harris at less than what Lafrance is making and we have enough flexibility in the ratio to make a switch if Harris were to get hurt, even before we add some players in this draft.  As much as I'd like to have another hometown talent on the roster and not in Regina, for that price it was the right decision.

Lyle B. Style

I'm not sure the Bombers would have been offering over 6 figures for a player that would've been a backup RB and has been a starter for only 2 games in his career, even if he was Canadian and a local product.  Outside of your backup QB, in a salary cap like the CFL you can't really have six figure guys sitting on the bench.  We still have Timothy Flanders to back up Harris at less than what Lafrance is making and we have enough flexibility in the ratio to make a switch if Harris were to get hurt, even before we add some players in this draft.  As much as I'd like to have another hometown talent on the roster and not in Regina, for that price it was the right decision.

Possible one of 3 non-imp RBs/WRs get released in Corkytown.

ie. Morris, Demski, LaFrance

I don't blame Wadzilla & Walters for not stepping up. The fault lies with Harris's enormous contract - no room for Husky Harris at $180k and LaFrance @ $115k-$120k    :cowboy:

Users Online

70 Guests, 5 Users (13 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mightygoose, schmenger, Ticats1999, brianjoxx, Yahoo!, Google (12)

Most Online Today: 161. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)