papazoola

Quote from: "Lyle B. Style"

Joe wasn't even trying! Got paid big money just to stand around with a cup o java in hand and pretend he knew what he was doing. Joe is easily the one guy who set the organization back more than a couple years. If I had to rank the set back guys it would be as follows:

1. Joe
2. Joe Zaleski
3. Jeff Reinbold
4. Lord Lyle
5. Brendan Taman
6. Mike "Maggot" Kelly
7. Timid Tim Burke
8. Garthy Buchko/ Gary Etcheverry (tie)

:cowboy:

....Yes Bombers sure picked some losers....
1. Joe...or snoozy some called him...Makes Walters draft calls look like pure genius
2. Joe Zaleski...nice guy but only goes to prove that nice guys finish last and he did
3. Jeff 'hog' Reinbold ..came to town on a Harley/ sped off with one of the worst records ever
4. Lord Lyle....took his royal self to Cowtown leaving a bad smell behind
5. Brendan 'napkin boy' Taman...Draft pics for vets. was his motto..took his failed show west
6. Mike 'handled internally' Kelly...Remembered for 'spy gate' and his shot down 'jet pac'..
7. Tim 'throw them under the bus' Burke...Great dc...horrible head coach and bus driver
8. Garth Buchko....proved that media guys should stay as that...'media guys'
9. Gary 'etch-a-sketch' Etcheverry...thought he deserved a line of his own because his defensive schemes are still being examined by the Smithsonian and are leaving them bewildered..

Expanded a bit on them Lyle....hope you don't mind
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

Lyle B. Style

Quote from: "papazoola"
Quote from: "Lyle B. Style"

Joe wasn't even trying! Got paid big money just to stand around with a cup o java in hand and pretend he knew what he was doing. Joe is easily the one guy who set the organization back more than a couple years. If I had to rank the set back guys it would be as follows:

1. Joe
2. Joe Zaleski
3. Jeff Reinbold
4. Lord Lyle
5. Brendan Taman
6. Mike "Maggot" Kelly
7. Timid Tim Burke
8. Garthy Buchko/ Gary Etcheverry (tie)

:cowboy:

....Yes Bombers sure picked some losers....
1. Joe...or snoozy some called him...Makes Walters draft calls look like pure genius
2. Joe Zaleski...nice guy but only goes to prove that nice guys finish last and he did
3. Jeff 'hog' Reinbold ..came to town on a Harley/ sped off with one of the worst records ever
4. Lord Lyle....took his royal self to Cowtown leaving a bad smell behind
5. Brendan 'napkin boy' Taman...Draft pics for vets. was his motto..took his failed show west
6. Mike 'handled internally' Kelly...Remembered for 'spy gate' and his shot down 'jet pac'..
7. Tim 'throw them under the bus' Burke...Great dc...horrible head coach and bus driver
8. Garth Buchko....proved that media guys should stay as that...'media guys'
9. Gary 'etch-a-sketch' Etcheverry...thought he deserved a line of his own because his defensive schemes are still being examined by the Smithsonian and are leaving them bewildered..

Expanded a bit on them Lyle....hope you don't mind

Not at all Papa. Memories + bad smells = funny!

The point of the matter is ex-bomber coaches and GMs aren't really held in high stead by rest of league. Until cotton-eyed Joe conned Kavis Reed to get back as an assistant GM responsible for American recruitment the only guy on the 9-list who managed to con his way back into the league was Rowdy Reinbold.

I guess we could add Hillbilly Jim Bell, Ross "Count Poop" Hodgkinson, John Payne in the a** & Daryl "Mouse" Rogers to the list. I suspect Bell, Hodgkinson, Payne & Rogers are persona non grata in our great league. "Napkin Boy" Taman may still be emitting hope as his polish money roll starts depleting - but only as a junior executive, nothing serious!

Should mention that this uncanny ability of our pro football team finding people who are bottom-barrel and can't find work elsewhere might be more a Winnipeg problem vs. a football team problem. Winnipeg Jets had the same problem - most GMs, head coaches, top assistants, etc. ended up on the last hobo-train to The Forks. Rudy Pilous was a shell of a GM when he came to Wpg. - never worked much after getting fired. John Ferguson was fired despite all the press-box bluster and anger management issues - and he actually re-surfaced - but only as a junior executive in San Jose. John Paddock, Tom Watt, Tommy McVie basically washed out of top jobs after their weak showings in Winnipeg. Claude Noel was good at telling stories about being a timid forward in the old AHL - but he was a human wreckage as Jets V.2 coach. Barry Shenkarow, the oodles of executives he paid big coin to - most of them covered by City of Winnipeg/Prov. of Manitoba un-audited subsidies ended up on the scrap heap or peddling Old Dutch chips door to door. I guess Rick Bowness (an assistant) finagled his way to a temp job as Ottawa Sens head coach over a decade ago - but blew his head off real quick.

Kevin Take-a-Day-Off appears competent but I don't see him getting another GM job once his days in Wpg. come to an end. Paul Maurice has crafted a nice career as a smooth-talking, silver-tongued devil but he's gradually morphing into Mr. .500 aka Claude Maurice!

Charlie Huddy has certainly proven he's unfit to head coach at the NHL level and so have the 2 or 3 stragglers Maurice has patched onto the bench.

The only real guy that made it out of Manitoba were Moose AHL coaches. Randy Carlyle was a very good coach in Anaheim, in fact got a Stanley Cup before getting his arse fired and ending up in the Leafs horror story scrapbook. Same with Alain Vignault - who's probably the best guy ever to coach at some level in Winnipeg and spring into a higher NHL status.  :cowboy:

papazoola

......Won't go into the Jets problems...cuz there's too many and it's looking like the ol' Jet's were being run similarly, when 'Benny Bigskins and the Jets' was involved in professional hockey in our town ...What a disappointment this kid Trouba turned out to be...Just one of the malcontents giving the team troubles....How can they just watch this kid skate up and down the ice for that kind of money..Anyway...back to football....I get a feeling that Walters is going over every scenario possible with the quarterback situation...He would be wise to because as of now IF Nichols sticks to his guns, we might be doing a Hank Snow and we'll be Movin On...Don't know what it would cost to get Franklin here (probably an arm and a leg) if we decide to go that way...Certainly would secure our quarterback position for quite awhile and might be worth what Hervey is going to bend someone over for...I'm sure there's a lot of thought given to the Durant situation as well but it looks like Mont. (Kavis) is putting on the big schmooze to obtain his services....Free agency in just 2 short months...Someone is going to pull the trigger on a deal for one of these guys....maybe even Nichols... :roll:
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

Lyle B. Style

Jacob the non-provider is actually playing at a higher level than I thought he would. A fairly undisciplined and out of control d-man with little to no offensive capability - he lost his first Mexican stand-off to a guy who specializes in Mexican stand-offs (Chevy).

Now, he has to wait until Chevy finds a dance partner to trade the guy off. Big Buff is even worse - every day is "Classic Country Club" day at MTS center with this big oaf. Undisciplined, 6'5", 275 lb. rover is playing more like a 5'6", 175 lb. rover (and we already got one of them)

As for Bombers - yep, Franklin would be Plan B if Nichols is intent on saving his old bum buddy Willy in Toronto AGAIN - but Franklin is obviously a risk - obviously an offensive no-mind like O'Shea would have little to do with him - but PLOP WOULD - and if Lapolice doesn't bond with this guy like he did with Nichols - DISASTER AWAITS!

A front-line of Kevin Glenn and Dom Davis doesn't exactly spell SIZZLE at the box office. Neither does Nichols for that matter!

Armed with fresh 3 or 4 year guaranteed contracts Kyle Walters and O'Shea can now do some serious "John Wayne Strutting" in the streets of Winnipeg. . . . . . at least publically until their first 5 game losing streak - where even the lemmings won't look them in the eye!

papazoola

.......Have to agree on Buff especially after catching the game last night in Van. on the tube...He looked bloody gawd awful...He can't seem to hit the net with that big shot and looks like we overpaid on his new contract...He's letting the team down...AND as far as Trouba goes...message to Chevy....MOVE HIM....Luv that Laine kid tough

....Franklin, though an unproven, is being held in high esteem by a couple of clubs...Namely us and the riders...Corky knows him well and if he could get his clutches on him he'd be put up at the Hilton in Regina ...never mind the riders illegal players accommodation...Not only does the kid have talent...he's a genuine guy with the smarts... We need two things to happen and that would be for Mike 'status quo' O, to get rid of the tunnel vision as well as the Bermuda shorts, and start thinking long term...After all he just signed on for another 3  :wink:
What's a franchise quarterback worth???? I think we'll find out early in the new year as I think we'll make a play for him or someone else will :roll:

....A little aside to the Franklin thoughts....Esks. have just signed Brett Smith ,the qb. who was with the riders not too long ago....Could this be seen as a preparation by the schmoes, for life in the near future without Mr. Franklin... :roll:  :roll:

Lyle B. Style

Couldn't help but snicker and think somewhere in a Northern Saskatchewan Subway - Brendan Taman just finished his fantasy CFL neg list by including the name Dontari "Edgar A" Poe . . . . .  . as a QB....

anything to get a rise outta people, ay Brendan?  :cowboy:

Lyle B. Style

Diamond Dougie Brown layed down some thoughts about what chores Wadzilla, Kyle Walters, etc. have in front of them. Its NOT A SHORT LIST:

Blue Bombers must pony up to preserve continuity

doug-brown   By: Doug Brown
   Posted: 12/26/2016 2:28

It may not sound logical, but off-seasons for football teams that have had successful regular-season campaigns — such as the 2016 Winnipeg Blue Bombers — can often be more difficult to navigate than for teams coming off a losing year.

The last time the Bombers had a winning record in the regular season and followed it up with a better record the following year was when they went 11-7 in 1992 and improved to 14-4 in 1993. If this team can improve from its 11-win campaign in 2016, and pick up a 12th victory — or more — in 2017, it would be the first time in 24 years it has been able to build off successes and not falter because of them.

The Bombers have 20 potential free agents to sign, including first two quarterbacks on the depth chart and at least five other starters from 2016.  

DARRYL DYCK / THE CANADIAN PRESS

The Bombers have 20 potential free agents to sign, including first two quarterbacks on the depth chart and at least five other starters from 2016.

What makes it harder to achieve incremental success, season after season? Essentially, it comes down to trying to do more with less.

"More" in the sense you need to find another gear and level of performance out of your roster and "less" in the sense you have to do it with fewer resources in regard to both players and money — neither of which has been Winnipeg’s strong suit.

It is fair to say having the eye and gumption to recognize which players you can live without or who are on the back nine of their careers is a sightline that has often been obscured when this team has unearthed success. Once a player pins an 11-win season to his resumé and comes within a green mile field goal of a West Division title game, their stock (and worth) goes up.

No longer are they a part of a losing campaign, they are a valuable asset of a winning team — and a team can only stand to lose so many of those pieces if it wishes to continue to improve.

Even after the recent re-signing of long-snapper extraordinaire Chad Rempel, the Bombers still have some 20 potential free agents; some of them have their fingerprints all over the 2016 resurgence. The first two quarterbacks on the depth chart require new deals, as does left offensive tackle Stanley Bryant and at least five other starters from 2016.

Coming off an unsatisfactory season — such as 2014 and 2015, when the club won seven and five games, respectively — the franchise has most of the negotiating power.

As a player, you were a contributing factor in a losing season, so regardless of your talent, you could not have covered yourself in glory to the degree you hold all the cards at the bargaining table. You may have had a banner year statistically, but the team elements necessary for success were absent, and it is always unclear how that responsibility should be divided.

A general manager has a much easier time rationalizing cleaning house after the losses stack up, than overhauling a roster that authored the club’s best record since 2003 — and selling that decision to the public and players.

You don’t have to go much further than the team website to read testimonials from player after player about how a harmonious locker room and a tight-knit group of guys were catalysts for success in 2016.

Retaining that chemistry, while paying fair market value for so many free agents, is a balancing act exponentially harder than retaining players after seasons in which they are happy to still be employed.

Upper management has credited continuity for the Bombers’ turnaround — and it would be hard to sell anything less to a roster and a public that finally look to be turning the corner themselves.

Doug Brown, once a hard-hitting defensive lineman and frequently a hard-hitting columnist, appears weekly in the Free Press.

Twitter: @DougBrown97

papazoola

.....Looking at the number of free agents for other clubs in the league, including the Cup finalists, I see we have one of the least amount of fa's to re-sign....20, although a large number is nothing out of the ordinary in the standard one year contract scenario of today...It looks to be the norm now and we seem to be alright in that area...Of course, being without a NO 1 qb. signed for 17' stands out, but the way it looks at present, there are other options heading to  free agency at the position... We are hardly behind the eight ball...Medlock is more of a must sign , the rest would be nice at the right price BUT looking at other teams fa's, there's a few options there as well...Certainly every team looks for continuity, but in this market, I see everyone as being in the same boat, some clubs a little worse off, but we are not amongst them..  As well I'm sure Walters has a lot of plan B's in his desk.. :wink:

Lyle B. Style

I'll give bomber mgmt. the rest of December and first 10 days of January to take their annual snooze - but if there isn't a flurry of activity between January 15th and Feb. 7th - we be in trouble! :cowboy:

Not a real deadline - but you have to impose some signing discipline based as much on timelines as salaries!

Obviously there's a few amongst the 20 who could be deemed 2016 duds - ex. Stan Bryant (first 8 games, he was OK thereafter), Sam Hurl, Pee Neufeld, the dud Canadian starting WR, Regina Richards, etc. All but Bryant should be ignored - or re-upped at dramatically reduced coin!

papazoola

...Richards (what a gawd awful pic) and Hurl can hit the road...Bryant is better than he showed last year...but he better start showin' it if he wants more dough....Neufeld can get in the same ambulance as Richards and head back to Regina...He's done...I wouldn't miss any of them...Signings are pretty much silent all over the league....expect a 'passle' of them as soon as the new year hits or maybe even one or two announcements before 16' raps up...(which would have to be in the next few days)....There's a rumour going round (on the rider site) that we have made a play for Franklin and have been thwarted...????I don't know where their info. could have come from and it's probably bogus...We do have interest in the kid but I doubt it's much more than that right now... Apparently Nichols is sticking to his guns, you know the guns he's trying to shoot himself in the foot with...How the hell can he justify asking for that kind of coin with what was a 'good year' not a great one behind him..There's no way we pay him 400,000 big ones when he isn't worth 350,000 as far as I'm concerned...I think he better look around and try to find who else is willing to pay 400 K... answer..NOBODY.......I hope his agent (who also represents Durant) is informing him of that fact....Interesting days ahead

Lyle B. Style

I do think Hurl might be an exception from the 'Duds List'. He's a serviceable back-up MLB and special teamer with lots of CFL experience (Wpg & Sask'n). . . . but if he's asking $120k, well - hit the road jack!

Against road-grader olines Hurl is usually the first casualty as he's too easily steered aside or squashed.  At $80 to $85k he's very serviceable, especially for his wealth of experience and he doesn't get injured as much as most.

Pee Neufeld, Richards, Bryant (if he's looking for $200k), etc. would be ridiculous hires. There's enough embarrassment in the organization re: bringing in Neufeld and drafting Jade Etienne's successor (Richards). Don't need more!  :cowboy:

aulcee

I just came off the main page and looking at what is going on in Toronto, Saskatchewan  ect.... Man its nice to finally  have the the Bombers right out of all the off season disaster  discussion. Say what you want,there is a lot to be said for continuity.

Lyle B. Style

Quote from: "aulcee"
I just came off the main page and looking at what is going on in Toronto, Saskatchewan  ect.... Man its nice to finally  have the the Bombers right out of all the off season disaster  discussion. Say what you want,there is a lot to be said for continuity.

Some bomber fans might actually be cheerin' for the Argo franchise to be suspended a year - thus moving the bombers back into the East; where they'd be instant contenders, obviously a bit better than either Montreal or Hamilton - and now having to only confront Ottawa for the Eastern Grey Cup berth - and an Ottawa squad without Smilin' Hank! :cowboy:

DAN38

True words ! :thup:
Si vis pacem... para bellum

papazoola

.....That's a fact...We've had our fair share of '''let's say  controversy and negativity about our club in recent years, and it seems now we can take solace in the fact it has died orrrr at least greatly subsided....Other clubs (argos ,riders) seemed to have replaced us in the 'train wreck' category...Hopefully we are on our way to some success...could be a great deal of success....Looking forward to a very good 17' season :thup:  :thup: GoBigBlue

Users Online

114 Guests, 7 Users (8 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
bobo82, Hamilton2005, sully, Count Floyd, Yahoo!, Google (7)

Most Online Today: 137. Most Online Ever: 225 (Aug 15 2017, 11:52 AM)