papazoola

Quote from: "wolverine29"
Walters and O'Shea both resigned for 3 years.  Some fans won't be happy with either or both returning, but a number of players have already chimed in on twitter and are pretty happy with this.  How long has it been since we've had a coach play out his contract and get an extension?  Seems like forever.

.....there's something to be said about continuity, that's a fact.....There's really only one that I hope we DON'T continue with and that is the DC....Ritchie's great days are behind him and we need a more forward thinker running our defence...Hall should hang em up and the quest for his replacement should be under way NOW....Also we need to get some of our fa's signed and in particular Nichols..BUT if he wants the kind of coin rumoured...adios to him as well.
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what\'s NOT being said....Anonymous

wolverine29

I wouldn't disagree entirely.  Our sack numbers were down but our turnover rate went up big time, we lowered our points allowed, and the D played a big role in why we were able to win a number of games this year.  And I think our run yardage allowed went down as well but the stats page doesn't seem to track team stats anymore.  If it does I can't find it.  When I take this into account, I think if a move is to be made they really need to have a coach who is a definite upgrade or a really good up and comer.  Noel Thorpe would be someone that would fit IMO.  Stubler for instance would be someone I don't see as an upgrade but more of a lateral move.

Lyle B. Style

Quote from: "papazoola"
Walters and O'Shea both resigned for 3 years.  Some fans won't be happy with either or both returning, but a number of players have already chimed in on twitter and are pretty happy with this.  How long has it been since we've had a coach play out his contract and get an extension?  Seems like forever.

.....there's something to be said about continuity, that's a fact.....There's really only one that I hope we DON'T continue with and that is the DC....Ritchie's great days are behind him and we need a more forward thinker running our defence...Hall should hang em up and the quest for his replacement should be under way NOW....Also we need to get some of our fa's signed and in particular Nichols..BUT if he wants the kind of coin rumoured...adios to him as well.

Perhaps the reason for O'Shea's recalcitrance in re-upping was his insistence that he be able to bring the out-dated man, Richie Hall back with him. Miller could have been internally infuriated by that insistence and made it clear that he'd give Mike O 3 years but under no circumstances should Rich Hall be allowed on the premises.

Guess we'll see in a few short weeks!
WAITING FOR A  MIRACLE - 28 YEARS, COUNTING!

aulcee

Quote from: "Lyle B. Style"
Quote from: "papazoola"

Perhaps the reason for O'Shea's recalcitrance in re-upping was his insistence that he be able to bring the out-dated man, Richie Hall back with him. Miller could have been internally infuriated by that insistence and made it clear that he'd give Mike O 3 years but under no circumstances should Rich Hall be allowed on the premises.

Dude ,there is absolutely no evidence, rumor,hint,or suggestions that any of that has even a drop of truth or remote possibility.

Lyle B. Style

No direct evidence - and Lawless hasn't tweeted yet but keep in mind there was a very strong murmur that O'Shea's job was on the line if he didn't bench Willy and bring in Nichols early this season.

I think the same thoughts apply to Hall now. You'd have to be Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder not to see how woeful our defense was last season - despite the great turnover stat! :cowboy:

If you're happy with Hall, so be it. I'm not!

aulcee

No direct evidence - and Lawless hasn't tweeted yet but keep in mind there was a very strong murmur that O'Shea's job was on the line if he didn't bench Willy and bring in Nichols early this season.

I think the same thoughts apply to Hall now. You'd have to be Ray Charles or Stevie Wonder not to see how woeful our defense was last season - despite the great turnover stat! :cowboy:

If you're happy with Hall, so be it. I'm not!
I didn't say anything about Hall.I just said that everything in your previous statement  was complete conjecture  on your part.There is absolutely  no basis for any of it.I respect your football knowledge  but don't just make up random stories..Personaly I'd  rather our D went after/pressured  the QB more often but that's just me.

papazoola

Quote from: "aulcee"
I didn't say anything about Hall.I just said that everything in your previous statement  was complete conjecture  on your part.There is absolutely  no basis for any of it.I respect your football knowledge  but don't just make up random stories..Personaly I'd  rather our D went after/pressured  the QB more often but that's just me.

.....How about the 15 yd. cushion given to opposition receivers as well....AND Ritchie's penchant for the antiquated  'bend but don't break' schemes....that broke more than they bent..We need a DC who is more in tune with the times and innovative....We have a lot of talent on D that wasn't used properly and a stronger game against the run as well as your suggested,,'more pressure on the qb.' should be instituted.

jamie

I'm curious to know what the misuse of the talent was as you put it? Who should have been placed where?

Personally I believe Hall devised a defense that was in direct response to the talent he was given.

Not a great rush D, not great close coverage guys but talented with ball hawking and getting to the ball.

Any team that leads the league in takeaways by this wide a margin has got  got a lot of things right.

Need a rush D upgrade and one shut-down corner in my opinion.
And save a little cap money for Bighill just in case ...

Lyle B. Style

Quote from: "jamie"
I'm curious to know what the misuse of the talent was as you put it? Who should have been placed where?

Personally I believe Hall devised a defense that was in direct response to the talent he was given.

Not a great rush D, not great close coverage guys but talented with ball hawking and getting to the ball.

Any team that leads the league in takeaways by this wide a margin has got  got a lot of things right.

You actually have a point. Actually a few to be honest!
But they're counter-productive points. If Richie thought his d-line putrid, his linebacking crew under-sized and under-powered and his DBs great at ball-hawking but poor at tackling and/or coverage I would agree he built a defense to bend but not break - the great turnover numbers were over-shadowed by the high point giveup!

Taleback

I wouldn't disagree entirely. Our sack numbers were down but our turnover rate went up big time, we lowered our points allowed, and the D played a big role in why we were able to win a number of games this year. And I think our run yardage allowed went down as well but the stats page doesn't seem to track team stats anymore. If it does I can't find it. When I take this into account, I think if a move is to be made they really need to have a coach who is a definite upgrade or a really good up and comer.

As an outsider looking in I'm with Wolverine on this one. Hall is a proven multiple Grey Cup winner. Area51 constant degrading of him is unwarranted and doesn't reflect the tools Hall had to work with IMO.

papazoola

Quote from: "jamie"

....Here's A MISUSE....if you have linebackers and ends not putting maximum pressure on the quarterback then they should have been dropping off in run coverage....What did we have....guys running around in nowhere land getting neither pressure nor helping to stop the run...Euclid Cummings (who had a helluva good year in argoland) looked lost and confused and Westerman (after having an all star year previous) did not perform up to his standard and I think it was the schemes...Just a couple of other things I noticed on our D as well ...You can't tell me that playing off receivers like we did and especially allowing a guy like LeFevour march down the field at will wasn't a little telling... Misused as in defensive 'schemes' period...There's not too many fans who were happy with the Ritchie Hall defence and most will point out that was our achilles heel in 17...We can do better

And you can dream on about Bighill....he has an agreement to return to the leo's as soon as he has scratched the nfl itch...But you're right...that's the type of linebacker we should be looking for....I believe Solo Elimimian is a free agent....we could show interest there.

wolverine29

Some good moves by Walters in the last couple of days. Re-upping Chad Rempel.  Today they resigned last years picks Rupert Butcher, Zach Intzandt, and Frank Renaud.  Renaud looks like a special teamer and probably one of those cheap salaries that bumps Sam Hurl off the roster.  I'm really interested to see how Butcher and Intzandt look in camp though.  Intzandt looks like he might be a PR guy right away who can become a decent depth OL down the road who can play a few spots.  If he can adapt quickly, Butcher could be a really nice addition in the DL rotation, massive guy with a motor.

papazoola

If he can adapt quickly, Butcher could be a really nice addition in the DL rotation, massive guy with a motor.

.....Eager to see what this guy can do...great potential.... IF the coaches can smooth out all of the wrinkles, he's a solid addition..... Once he finds a little finesse for his game, look out...Good signing along with the others.. :thup:

wolverine29

In last years draft and Walters gets Couture, Loeffler, Corney and Gauthier who all played last year which alone would mean he had a great draft.  Now late round picks Intzandt and Butcher come back after becoming first team all stars, and another possible depth guy/special teamer in Renaud.  Could be one of the best Bomber draft classes ever and all without a first round pick.  Joe Mack didn't deliver that many players in all his drafts combined.

Lyle B. Style

In last years draft and Walters gets Couture, Loeffler, Corney and Gauthier who all played last year which alone would mean he had a great draft.  Now late round picks Intzandt and Butcher come back after becoming first team all stars, and another possible depth guy/special teamer in Renaud.  Could be one of the best Bomber draft classes ever and all without a first round pick.  Joe Mack didn't deliver that many players in all his drafts combined.

Joe wasn't even trying! Got paid big money just to stand around with a cup o java in hand and pretend he knew what he was doing. Joe is easily the one guy who set the organization back more than a couple years. If I had to rank the set back guys it would be as follows:

1. Joe
2. Joe Zaleski
3. Jeff Reinbold
4. Lord Lyle
5. Brendan Taman
6. Mike "Maggot" Kelly
7. Timid Tim Burke
8. Garthy Buchko/ Gary Etcheverry (tie)

PS. The rest of the league seems to agree with me. Of all the lords of chaos I listed, up until Joe Mack was brought out of his crypt by Kavis, only one guy found work in the league after his bomber tenure dried up - unbelievably it was Jeff Reinbold - who did nearly a decade in low profile college and European ball before being brought in as a spec. teams coach in Hammy.  :cowboy:

Users Online

74 Guests, 4 Users (13 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Mightygoose, schmenger, Ticats1999, Yahoo!, Google (12)

Most Online Today: 161. Most Online Ever: 489 (Nov 26 2017, 08:38 PM)