CFL2USA

It's not dead yet.....Other news sources keep referring to it as a multiple purpose stadium but do not allude to what the other purposes might be. There are plenty of concert venues here.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2017/01/18/ ... nute-plan/

CFL2USA

Now the tough sell to the public begins.  I think it would be easier to sell if they brought in a second team in another sport that we don't have......like football :D

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2017/02/03/ ... ding-bill/

Earlier in the week the group trying to get the expansion team submitted its application.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2017/01/31/ ... sion-team/

chinese buffet

St Louis is a dump. Why would anyone want to start a team in that city? If the rams left why would anyone else want in?
I am an American that loves the CFL. I think the league should remain in Canada. Waste of money in the USA. would be better off having a 2nd team in Toronto than in St Louis

Aerial

chinese, there is a 2nd team in Toronto, the TiCats which are in what is known as the Greater Toronto Area in many respects.   :wink:
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

CFL2USA

Quote from: "chinese buffet"
St Louis is a dump. Why would anyone want to start a team in that city? If the rams left why would anyone else want in?

Good question, Chinese.  First the Rams left for L.A because it, among other things, more than doubled the value of their franchise.  However, that would be true of most teams if they moved to the nation's second largest market.   When the Rams moved here they sold out every game for the first 12 seasons.  Of the 21 seasons they were here only four were winning seasons.  Even in the final four seasons, when they already had one foot out the door, they still managed to average 57,000 plus to watch a terrible team.   When the performance on the field suffers for long periods of time,  attendance lags.  That's true virtually everywhere.  St. Louis is a good football town.

As far as St. Louis being a dump goes, that is certainly true of parts of the city.  However, that is true of almost every large city in a America (and most NFL cities).  The part that is a dump, comprises less than 15% of the St. Louis region.  If someone wants to judge the whole by a small slice, so be it.  However, I don't think it's representative of the entire area.  As far as the city itself goes, there are many nice areas like the CWE, Carondolet, the Hill, Dogtown, St. Louis Hills, Benton Park, and Lafayette Square.  There is a nice little resurgence going in many areas. Time will tell, if it takes hold and expands into those areas that you only see as St. Louis.  

If the CFL was ever serious about expansion down south, St. Louis would be a great market.  The NFL can't lay claim to it and there isn't a strong NCAA football presence here.  Like the rest of the USA,  football is popular here.  To say it wouldn't make sense, to me is like asking "Why would anybody open a pizzeria in an Italian neighborhood?"

ryan3434

Quote from: "Aerial"
chinese, there is a 2nd team in Toronto, the TiCats which are in what is known as the Greater Toronto Area in many respects.   :wink:
How dare you Earl.........
I\'d be unstoppable if not for law enforcement and physics!

Feminazis.. Not better women just crappy men.

EastVanMark

Time for the St Louis CFL Cardinals  :lol:

CFL2USA

Quote from: "EastVanMark"
Time for the St Louis CFL Cardinals  :lol:

I like it.  But who would be our rival for the Labor Day Classic?  The Lions? They don't really have one.  The Cardinals  vs. the Lions.  Oh, but I'm so getting ahead of myself.  I can dream can't I?

BigJoeM

I think the CFL in the states is a bad idea but if they lined up billionaires not millionaires and had a ready made US TV contract for 5 year minimum guarantee with one or two of the big 4 networks then my US conference would look like this .

Just for shlitz and giggles :

East     -----------                                          Central   ---------                   West

New York   ------------                                    Chicago   ---------                 San Diego
Connecticut(Hartford)  ------------               St.Louis  ---------                  Oakland ( once they move to Las Vegas )  
Orlando   ------------                                       Columbus   ---------             Portland
Memphis ------------                                       San Antonio ----------          Sacramento
Birmingham  ------------                                Oklahoma    ----------           Salt lake
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn\'t care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn\'t care about free speech .

CFL2USA

The measure lost 53%-47%.  As I suspected, the measure did not fair well in the city's predominantly black wards, getting as little as 38% of the vote in support of it.  No plan B as of yet, but the MLS commissioner is not calling the effort dead  yet.  IMHO, they need to bring in a league in a sport that has broader appeal to pair up with MLS and share a facility.  Does any one know of one? :?

brihind88

It is rare I come to the other league section.

I had to open this one cause I knew where it was going.

I have been through this argument over and over in the main section and I will continue as long as the subject keeps coming up.

NO NO NO to US expansion.

Those who want , dream or hope for this were not around when this failed the first time.

For all the reasons before will be the same.

1- US teams will never have to follow the import rule because it VIOLATES US LABOUR LAWS.

2- The US owners and managers wanted to change the name from CFL to the NORTH AMERICAN LEAGUE.  :thdn:

3 - Some ( Pepper Rogers ) wanted to go to 4 downs. " need to satisfy American fan base"  :thdn:

4 - Jim Speros was on a crusade to start the season one month later , to not compete with summer activity.
YES , lets play the Grey Cup in December. Fun to have it in even colder conditions than November. :thdn:

5 - Aside from Baltimore, the US stadiums were EMPTY.

6 - US sport fans and US media consider the CFL to be semi - pro minor   league.  :thdn:

7- Many in the US do not even know the CFL exists.

I mentioned before , I went to Vegas in 2010 -2011 - 2012 for 4 UFL games.
A Vegas Tribune sports writer was going around the stadium asking people about the UFL and Locos.
He got talking to me , and I mentioned I was from Calgary, mentioned the Stamps and he had no idea there was even a CFL. He was a freaking sports reporter.

CFLUSA2, I am sure you are in the minority in STL.
Nobody other than you and perhaps 10,000 temporary curious onlookers will show.

If there is  6 - 12 cities in the US that have a need for football ( including Oakland and ST. Louis ) they just need to go form another American Spring Football League.

To repeat the biggest mistake in CFL history, would be above stupid.

Further, from what was reported the CFL never even received any expansion money.
The payments were deferred. Before they got any funds , they folded the US franchises.

Aerial

Although that was at a time when the CFL was basically on life support and on terminal type care.  A different situation now and I think that a couple of teams or so with the league being very choosy over location and ownership could very well work and work quite well.
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

TravelPat1

Quote from: "Aerial"
Although that was at a time when the CFL was basically on life support and on terminal type care.  A different situation now and I think that a couple of teams or so with the league being very choosy over location and ownership could very well work and work quite well.

But Earl - again the first point in the post above you. Any American based team could play all American players - and because of that would have an unfair advantage every single season over Canadian teams forced to start a certain number of Canadians very game. Unless all Canadian teams no longer had roster restrictions. Is that what you want?

brihind88

Should never have a league where there are 2 sets of rules for different teams.

I never bought into the CFL on life support line. Or at least it was not as bad as the pied pipers ( Larry Smith - Larry Ryckman ) suggested.

However, the CFL is in better financial shape now than ever. Thanks to partly to TSN and Corporate participation.

There is no need to look South for a quick influx of cash. Or as I like to call it , Cash grab.

EastVanMark

Quote from: "chinese buffet"
St Louis is a dump. Why would anyone want to start a team in that city?  

St. Louis Convention & Visitors Commission on line one for you..... 8)

Users Online

108 Guests, 9 Users (6 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
tony, 15_championships, mycko75, Mightygoose, Eagle, RichardVeilleux, ExPat, Yahoo!, Google (5)

Most Online Today: 177. Most Online Ever: 225 (Aug 15 2017, 11:52 AM)