CFL2USA

The article states that the stadium would seat 20,000 but could be expanded to hold 28,500.  28,500, dare I say it, perfect for a CFL team!

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/11/1 ... ansion-bid

rcon

Quote from: "CFL2USA"
The article states that the stadium would seat 20,000 but could be expanded to hold 28,500.  28,500, dare I say it, perfect for a CFL team!

As long as St. Louis would agree with following the Import rule, and have a guarantee number of season ticket holders, I am up for it. I know people will go on about previous US/CFL expansion. I attended the very first regular season CFL game played in Baltimore, and I saw the positive possibilities of the CFL in the states. 20 years later more Americans are familiar with our game and have a more positive view of our league than some Canadians. But any possible US expansion must agree to follow all the CFL rules and have a minimum number of season ticket holders committed for 3 years. Also St. Louis would be as far south as I would expand. I would also look at cities like Portland Ore., Fargo ND, Syracuse NY and Hartford, Conn.

TravelPat1

The stadium would have to be built with compltely retractable stands behind each soccer goal - in order to fit a CFL field - which is about 40 yards longer that your typical soccer pitch.

CFL2USA

Quote from: "TravelPat1"
The stadium would have to be built with compltely retractable stands behind each soccer goal - in order to fit a CFL field - which is about 40 yards longer that your typical soccer pitch.

That's a good point.  When I'm watching the Grey Cup Sunday, I'll be looking closely at BMO Field to see how they do it.

CFL2USA

Quote from: "rcon"
Quote from: "CFL2USA"

As long as St. Louis would agree with following the Import rule, and have a guarantee number of season ticket holders, I am up for it. I know people will go on about previous US/CFL expansion. I attended the very first regular season CFL game played in Baltimore, and I saw the positive possibilities of the CFL in the states. 20 years later more Americans are familiar with our game and have a more positive view of our league than some Canadians. But any possible US expansion must agree to follow all the CFL rules and have a minimum number of season ticket holders committed for 3 years. Also St. Louis would be as far south as I would expand. I would also look at cities like Portland Ore., Fargo ND, Syracuse NY and Hartford, Conn.

I agree, they would have to play by the same rules.  I think it could work in 2-3 carefully chosen cities, ones that aren't under the shadow of an NFL or NCAA team.   The ones you mention sound good. Portland would make a geographic rival for BC, perhaps?

CFL2USA

More information has been announced on  a public vote.

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/news ... ns-to.html

Can't help but wonder if in a city that is over 40 percent African-American, will this voting block be compelled to vote in favor of public funding for a stadium whose primary tenant is a sport that is overwhelmingly played by whites and whose audience is largely white.  Would it be wiser to bring in a second tenant in a sport that has a more diverse audience and players like......football? Time will tell.

Mightygoose

When is the public vote? The article is behind a paywall.

Also, if this vote fails, I understand there is a rival group - Foundry St. Louis and their stadium plan doesn't require public dollars.  

Though MLS likes the group behind the 200 mil plan, if it falls would Foundry be considered?

CFL2USA

Quote from: "Mightygoose"
When is the public vote? The article is behind a paywall.

Also, if this vote fails, I understand there is a rival group - Foundry St. Louis and their stadium plan doesn't require public dollars.  

Though MLS likes the group behind the 200 mil plan, if it falls would Foundry be considered?

They want the vote to be next April.  MLS says that they are only working with SC STL.  Foundry is on the outside looking in.

Mightygoose

OK. So I take it an actual date in April is still TBC.

So if the public votes no, I guess St. Louis will be on the outside looking into too as there are more and more interested cities and ownership groups wanting to join MLS.

CFL2USA

Quote from: "Mightygoose"
OK. So I take it an actual date in April is still TBC.

So if the public votes no, I guess St. Louis will be on the outside looking into too as there are more and more interested cities and ownership groups wanting to join MLS.

Right now an April vote is a desire of the SC STL group. As I understand it, Foundry has offered to pay the $80M public portion, but offered no details.  MLS said they were only dealing with SC STL.  I'm not sure what a no vote means for STL, presumably not good. However, MLS stadiums have been built recently for $100M (San Jose Earthquakes).

Aerial

Seems now, at the price of MLS franchises, no more than the 3 is going to happen in Canada I would say.  Interesting perspective, as usually, from FoS.:

Rich dudes demand $129m in tax money for St. Louis MLS stadium, because teams are expensive, yo

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2016/12/0 ... ensive-yo/

That’s right: The official explanation of why a bunch of rich guys — Bain Capital you may remember as the private equity firm that made Mitt Romney wealthy at the expense of a whole lot of other people — need $129 million in public money to build a $205 million stadium is “Well, we’re already spending $200 million to buy a team! You want us to do that and build a stadium too? What are we, made of mon — er, let me rephrase that…”

That's it for Canada I would say, MLS is pricing themselves out of this market but I guess that's what they want?  Teams are expensive in MLS now which is what they wanted but in the long run is it really what they should want to say be able to expand more into a market like Canada?  Mind you if the MLS has to rely on Canada to make them feel "major", they are in deep trouble in the long run to really feel they are "major".
I'm not allowed to comment on lousy officiating - Former Saints General Manager Jim Fink

CFL2USA

Quote from: "Aerial"
Seems now, at the price of MLS franchises, no more than the 3 is going to happen in Canada I would say.  Interesting perspective, as usually, from FoS.:

Rich dudes demand $129m in tax money for St. Louis MLS stadium, because teams are expensive, yo

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2016/12/0 ... ensive-yo/

That’s right: The official explanation of why a bunch of rich guys — Bain Capital you may remember as the private equity firm that made Mitt Romney wealthy at the expense of a whole lot of other people — need $129 million in public money to build a $205 million stadium is “Well, we’re already spending $200 million to buy a team! You want us to do that and build a stadium too? What are we, made of mon — er, let me rephrase that…”

To me the solution seems so obvious.   Bring in a second tenant to spread the cost and skip the public trough.

CFL2USA

More details emerge.  If the sales tax increase for MetroLink light rail passes, it would automatically trigger an increase in an obscure use tax.  The increased money from the use tax would be used for the stadium.  Hmmm....

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt ... f8d2d6.htm

CFL2USA

CFL2USA

Users Online

110 Guests, 11 Users (9 Spiders)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
DogsFan, bobo82, als4ever-2, Mightygoose, PTBO Dave, seymour, dcmoses, JustAGuy, mycko75, Grover, Pocho, Yahoo!, Google (7), Alexa

Most Online Today: 142. Most Online Ever: 225 (Aug 15 2017, 11:52 AM)