slimjim2

23k is pretty good for a streamed preseason game

slimjim2

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "slimjim2"
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/the-great-canadian-ratings-report--at-long-last--nba-makes-a-splash-in-canada-180014997.html

Argos at Als  Fri night 317k
Not bad.   Not as good as the other numbers but we can assume RDS will add to the total - perhaps 400K all in.

Xvys

Quote from: "KevinRiley2"
Waiting for Pat to post the numbers. :) It feels like Pat has made cookies, hot from the oven, and I can't wait!!!  Mmmmmm.  Hope they're white chocolate - no macadamias.

Actually, were there any CFL games on last weekend?  The numbers may be irrelevant.
Golf pre-empted the first half of the Argos vs Als exhibition telecast. Many fans may have turned the channel when the scheduled CFL game was not televised. On the other hand, the CFL ratings will be over a 100 minute period...not the normal 180 min, which might help boost  average ratings.

TFC did draw only 14,000 viewers for a Chicago game a year or two ago, so the Ticats exhibition livestream more than doubled that. In fairness the TFC game was played during a Euro soccer Cup and was broadcast on an obscure Sportsnet channel.

TravelPatB

Sorry I was late posting the numbers. If you don't want to go to the link slimjim posted  - here is the sports ratings list from this past weekend.  

I never would have guessed an NBA game not including the Raptors would win a weekend (or at least tie the Jays) - even with it being a Game 7. Another huge weekend for the Jays - although they did lose their 3rd in a row tonight - but they still are having a huge season TV ratings wise.

Here are the most-watched sports events on English-language television from the past weekend, according to Numeris overnight ratings:

1. NBA, Cavaliers at Warriors, Sunday, TSN: 1,200,000 (ABC audience not measured)

1. MLB, Blue Jays at Orioles, Friday, Sportsnet: 1,200,000

3. MLB, Blue Jays at Orioles, Saturday, Sportsnet: 1,050,000

4. MLB, Blue Jays at Orioles, Sunday, Sportsnet: 912,000

5. Euro soccer, Portugal vs. Austria, Saturday, TSN: 484,000

6. Euro soccer, Iceland vs. Hungary, Saturday, TSN: 416,000

7. Euro soccer, Switzerland vs. France, Sunday, TSN: 410,000

8. PGA, U.S. Open final round, Sunday, TSN: 332,000 (Fox audience not measured)

9. CFL, Argonauts at Alouettes, Friday, TSN: 317,000

10. UFC, MacDonald vs. Thompson, Saturday, TSN: 273,000

11. Auto racing, F1 Baku Grand Prix, Sunday, TSN: 272,000

12. Euro soccer, Belgium vs. Ireland, Saturday, TSN: 241,000

13. Euro soccer, Italy vs. Sweden, Friday, TSN: 235,000

14. Euro soccer, Czech Republic vs. Croatia, Friday, TSN: 228,000

15. PGA, U.S. Open second round, Friday, TSN: 143,000

16. MLB, Pirates at Cubs, Saturday, Sportsnet: 128,000

17. Athletics, Diamond League, Saturday, CBC: 127,000

18. Equestrian, Spruce Meadows show jumping, Saturday, CBC: 106,000

19. Auto racing, NASCAR Xfinity 250, Sunday, TSN: 104,000

And coming soon - real CFL games ratings.

snowmobile

692,000 for the Argos/Ticats opener

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "snowmobile"
692,000 for the Argos/Ticats opener
That is a little disappointing.  I fully expected 800K+.

TravelPat1

Hey Kevin. I was hoping for a bit better number too considering all the hype and no major sports competition. But it it is still a decent number - improved from last year so not bad news by any means.

I'm guessing the audience really tailed off towards the end with the game out of reach and the long delay treating the injured Argos player too.

2.8 million unique viewers is a good number I think and the fact that ratings were way up in Southern Ontario compared to the Argos' Fort McMurray opener last year is good news too.  

Here is the press release with all the details from Bell Media.

http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/last-n ... n-viewers/

TORONTO (June 24, 2016) – The Toronto Argonauts and Hamilton Tiger-Cats kicked off the 2016 CFL ON TSN season last night, with overnight data confirming an average audience of 692,000 viewers watched the Argos at their new home of BMO Field – marking an increase of 39% over the team’s 2015 opener. In the Toronto-Hamilton extended market, audience levels for the game were up 83% over last year’s Argos opener.

In total, 2.8 million unique Canadian viewers tuned in to watch some part of the game on TSN, with coverage including on-field marching bands and special guest appearances by Argos legends Damon Allen, Mike “Pinball” Clemons, Raghib “Rocket” Ismail, and Joe Theismann.

The Toronto-Hamilton game also marked an increase of 46% compared to last year’s CFL ON TSN season opener matchup between Ottawa and Montreal.

Audience levels peaked at 912,000 viewers during the third quarter as the Argos attempted a second-half comeback.

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "TravelPat1"
Hey Kevin. I was hoping for a bit better number too considering all the hype and no major sports competition. But it it is still a decent number - improved from last year so not bad news by any means.

Here is the press release with all the details from Bell Media.

http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/last-n ... n-viewers/

TORONTO (June 24, 2016) – The Toronto Argonauts and Hamilton Tiger-Cats kicked off the 2016 CFL ON TSN season last night, with overnight data confirming an average audience of 692,000 viewers watched the Argos at their new home of BMO Field – marking an increase of 39% over the team’s 2015 opener. In the Toronto-Hamilton extended market, audience levels for the game were up 83% over last year’s Argos opener.

In total, 2.8 million unique Canadian viewers tuned in to watch some part of the game on TSN, with coverage including on-field marching bands and special guest appearances by Argos legends Damon Allen, Mike “Pinball” Clemons, Raghib “Rocket” Ismail, and Joe Theismann.

The Toronto-Hamilton game also marked an increase of 46% compared to last year’s CFL ON TSN season opener matchup between Ottawa and Montreal.

Audience levels peaked at 912,000 viewers during the third quarter as the Argos attempted a second-half comeback.

And, TBH, the game was a bit of a dud.  Perhaps a better game would have held the attention of more fans.

Xvys

The nearly 700,000 who watched the Argos/Ticats game was the average audience over the 210 minute duration of the game (the kickoff was about 1/2 an hour late). So the extended time-frame might tend to reduce average ratings, unless it's a blockbuster game (which it wasn't.)

Despite that, TSN opening game ratings were up 46% over last year, with a 83% increase in southern Ontario ratings over last year's Argo opener. I know the cynic's will scoff but I guess that's better than the ratings going down?

The Bombers/Als average TSN ratings will probably suffer due to the 4-hour game duration (1-hour delay due to potential lightening) and 80% of the Als market being francophone.

depopulationINC

Quote from: "Xvys"
The nearly 700,000 who watched the Argos/Ticats game was the average audience over the 210 minute duration of the game (the kickoff was about 1/2 an hour late). So the extended time-frame might tend to reduce average ratings, unless it's a blockbuster game (which it wasn't.)

Despite that, TSN opening game ratings were up 46% over last year, with a 83% increase in southern Ontario ratings over last year's Argo opener. I know the cynic's will scoff but I guess that's better than the ratings going down?

The Bombers/Als average TSN ratings will probably suffer due to the 4-hour game duration (1-hour delay due to potential lightening) and 80% of the Als market being francophone.

Good points...and 700K is still a pretty solid number.

tangledweb

Quote from: "depopulationINC"
Quote from: "Xvys"

Good points...and 700K is still a pretty solid number.

more than solid considering that TSN have lost a couple hundred thousand more subscribers this year yet CFL ratings still increased substantially from last season's opener.

Paolo X

Indeed I agree that the numbers for the Argos' game were deceptively impressive.

For the second game in Winnipeg, I don't think hardly any are expecting the numbers to be very good. With that sort of weather delay to foul things up and with the game running so damn late that most in the Eastern Time Zone just tuned out, let's just write off that game.

I have to wonder which night of the week in July and August will bring the better ratings considering all the people understandably traveling and with other plans in the summer. Historically what has been the case?
Best Regards, Paolo

Xvys

Quote from: "Paolo X"
Indeed I agree that the numbers for the Argos' game were deceptively impressive.

For the second game in Winnipeg, I don't think hardly any are expecting the numbers to be very good. With that sort of weather delay to foul things up and with the game running so damn late that most in the Eastern Time Zone just tuned out, let's just write off that game.

I have to wonder which night of the week in July and August will bring the better ratings considering all the people understandably traveling and with other plans in the summer. Historically what has been the case?
Traditionally the ratings used to increase in the Autumn but nowadays the numbers are pretty consistent throughout the season. While there may be heightened CFL interest in October, there's a lot of competition for eyeballs with the NFL, NHL, MLB, etc. in full swing. The CFL has the sports market more to themselves in the summer.

The CFL is an appointment viewing league. Fans will watch on any day at any time and set their schedule/holidays/work/play around the games (subject to spousal approval).  :wink:

The only caveats are going head-to-head against HNIC on Saturday night and the NFL on Sunday afternoon, which tend to reduce competing CFL ratings by about 20%.

tangledweb

CFL News ?@CFL_News  
National TV ratings number for #Ticats @ #Argos opener:  747,000 viewers when you add in RDS/Quebec. #CFL via @paulosenra

CFL News ?@CFL_News  
Audience levels peaked at 912,000 viewers during the third quarter as #Argos attempted a 2nd-half comeback. - @TSN_Sports #CFL #Ticats

CFL News ?@CFL_News  
In total, 2.8 million unique Canadian viewers tuned in to watch some part of the game on TSN - @TSN_Sports #CFL #Argos #Ticats

Users Online

106 Guests, 10 Users (6 Spiders, 3 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
tony, 15_championships, mycko75, Mightygoose, Eagle, RichardVeilleux, ExPat, Yahoo!, Google (5)

Most Online Today: 177. Most Online Ever: 225 (Aug 15 2017, 11:52 AM)