TravelPatB

Since we had a televised 2016 CFL game last night I figured today would be the time to start a new sports TV ratings thread to coincide with the new season. Next week this report should include ratings for the BC - Sasatchewan pre-season game that TSN is carrying Saturday night.

Here are last weekend's ratings - and the numbers that might be of most interest (concern?) to the CFL and TSN are the VERY strong numbers from the Jays three games in Boston last weekend with all three games topping a million. The Jays look like they may again provide very strong competition to the CFL for viewers.

While the Stanley Cup ratings aren't great (on either side of the border) - at least the CBC managed to top two million for Game 3 on Saturday night. The NBA still a bit of an afterglow left over from the Raptors as TSN got a decent 573,000 for the game Sunday - especially good when you consider that does not include those who watched on ABC.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-ga ... 00852.html

Here are the most-watched sports events on English-language television from the past weekend, according to Numeris overnight ratings.

1. NHL, Penguins at Sharks, Saturday, CBC: 2,100,000

2. MLB, Blue Jays at Red Sox, Friday, Sportsnet: 1,310,000

3. MLB, Blue Jays at Red Sox, Sunday, Sportsnet: 1,090,000

4. MLB, Blue Jays at Red Sox, Saturday, Sportsnet: 1,080,000

5. NBA, Cavaliers at Warriors, Sunday, TSN: 573,000 (ABC audience not measured)

6. Tennis, French Open men's final, Sunday, TSN: 239,000 (NBC audience not measured)

7. PGA, Memorial final round, Sunday, Global: 218,000

8. MLB, Braves at Dodgers, Sunday, Sportsnet: 204,000

9. PGA, Memorial third round, Saturday, Global: 171,000

10. Athletics, Diamond League Birmingham, Sunday, CBC: 160,000

11. Mixed martial arts, UFC 199 preliminaries, Saturday, TSN: 155,000

12. Tennis, French Open women's final/men's doubles final, Saturday, TSN: 113,000 (NBC audience not measured)

13. Women's soccer, Canada vs. Brazil, Saturday, TSN: 106,000

14. Athletics, Diamond League Rome, Saturday, CBC: 104,000

Pete

A tweet from CFL Communications:

Close to half a million Canadians watched our first preseason game last night. We missed you too, #CFL fans!

tangledweb

Quote from: "Pete"

Close to half a million Canadians watched our first preseason game last night. We missed you too, #CFL fans!

wow, incredible number for a meaningless pre-season game. (and on a Wednesday night to boot)
apparently, it's been a long winter without our football fix.

:thup:

letsgoticats

That's an amazing number for preseason football on a Wednesday, up against the NBA finals.  Hopefully it's a sign of things to come this year.

Mr. Pike

Quote from: "letsgoticats"

That's an amazing number for preseason football on a Wednesday, up against the NBA finals.  Hopefully it's a sign of things to come this year.

It was also up against TFC/Impact soccer game ,  wonder how their numbers were ?

KevinRiley2

What?!?!?!?!

I know I watched, with the sound off, but still...  those are BIG numbers for an exhibition game.

Also, don't forget that 30 for 30 O.J. series will be on Saturday night and a LOT of people will watch - c'est moi!  :)
* Kevin Riley = The moral conscience AND movie reviewer for cfl.ca.  :)
* When in doubt, always ask (WWKD) What Would Kevin Do?
* Forgive me for always taking the High Road.  It's the ONLY Road I know.

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "Mr. Pike"
Quote from: "letsgoticats"

It was also up against TFC/Impact soccer game ,  wonder how their numbers were ?
Does anyone have the ability to post this info at the RPB?  

Pat, can you do the honours?

Mr. Pike

You could do it Kevin , or did they ban you for life over there ?  :lol:

depopulationINC

No Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs have left a lot of people starving for their fix.  Glad it was a respectable game for the first preseason game and these numbers

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "Mr. Pike"
You could do it Kevin , or did they ban you for life over there ?  :lol:
I was banned before being banned was cool.  They thought I was someone else and shut me down FAST.  I THINK I got one post in.

KevinRiley2

Quote from: "depopulationINC"
No Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs have left a lot of people starving for their fix.  Glad it was a respectable game for the first preseason game and these numbers
I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.  Very entertaining for an exhibition game.  Better than a lot of the regular season games from last year.  Hopefully it foreshadows things to come.

TravelPatB

ESPN's CFL schedule featured in a story on the American Sports Media Blog - Awful Announcing

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/espn-wi ... -more.html

And the Ti-Cats have announced they will live stream their home pre-season game against Ottawa on June 17th.

- http://ticats.ca/?p=33784

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced today that their home preseason game on June 17 against the Ottawa Redblacks will be streamed live on Ticats.ca. This marks the second consecutive year Ticats.ca will stream the home preseason game and follows a tremendous launch in 2015 where Ticats Fans from over 50 countries around the world tuned into to the live stream broadcast. The June 17 broadcast will feature full video and audio of the game, as well as a pre-game, halftime, and postgame show by the Ticats TV Live Panel, presented by Baffin. Play-by-play will be provided by TSN 1150’s radio broadcast featuring Marshall Ferguson and colour commentator, John “Coach Sal” Salavantis.

Grover

CFL CommunicationsVerified account
?@CFL_PR
#CFL fans undeterred by power outage: more than half a million watched the @sskroughriders/@BCLions preseason game.

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig

Vanhalendlrband2

Looks like Lions preseason nearly beats out all the euro soccer games in ratings except one game it nearly equalled.

slimjim2

Quote from: "Vanhalendlrband2"
Looks like Lions preseason nearly beats out all the euro soccer games in ratings except one game it nearly equalled.

You mean the "Riders"  pre-season game?  you can always count on all of them Sask fans for bringing up the CFL ratings... :thup:

Not surprised that the England - Russia game was  the highest rated Euro game at 619,000
Euro ratings down but not surprising when you have first round teams like  Albania playing Switzerland....... :(
Jays over 1 million again

Users Online

162 Guests, 16 Users (16 Spiders, 5 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Sidney, Grover, jaybird24, TravelPat1, blackandgld, guelphcatsfan, Palmer, Espo, BillyDee87, raymarkca, Killer91, Google (15), Baidu

Most Online Today: 206. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)