sully

On http://www.cfl.ca/ , we've quietly rolled out a new "Game Tracker", which is meant to be a one stop shop for all information related to a particular football game. The features of the Game Tracker are as follows:

• Matchup: A quick visual team-to-team and player-vs-player comparison of the two teams in the game
  • Preview/Recap: The article written by the editorial team previewing or recapping that particular game
  • Box Score: The individual and team-level statistics for that particular game
  • Play By Play: A straight retelling of the plays that occurred during the game

What I'm looking for is feedback on the Box Score tab (and Play By Play, but I'll open another thread for that). Specifically, I'd love to get answers to these questions:

1. Are the various categories for players sufficient; anything we missed that we should display / you'd expect?
    2. Are the stat columns in those categories sufficient; anything we missed that we should display / you'd expect?
    3. Are the team-level box score categories sufficient; anything we missed that we should display / you'd expect?
    4. Any other general comments?

To take a look at the Box Score in the new Game Tracker, see any/all of the following URLs:

Thanks! Please leave your reply in the thread.
I'm the Director of Media Technology for the Canadian Football League. Got technology concerns/ideas for the league? E-mail me at ssyed@cfl.ca and we'll talk.

Linden53

I feel stats for Field Goals made/missed/longest ect. should be added.

Paolo X

Very good Sully thank you and I'm pleased to participate.

In looking at the following Box Score as an example, the look and sorting of the stats is excellent and clean:
http://www.cfl.ca/games/2262/toronto-ar ... /#boxscore

There is one item that is sorely missing however: Scoring from Kicking.

This is where you want to list the kicker(s) and field goal attempt and scoring data along with any singles.
Best Regards, Paolo

sully

Hi guys - I've been a little busy with other things, but we re-added Field Goals as a player-level stat category:

Does that about cover it, then? I was thinking a PAT table is missing as well?

Paolo X

Quote from: "sully"
Hi guys - I've been a little busy with other things, but we re-added Field Goals as a player-level stat category:

Does that about cover it, then? I was thinking a PAT table is missing as well?

Perhaps consider making it "Field Goals and Converts" and then include all converts (not for attempts, but for those actually made) whether kicked for one point or scored otherwise for two points. Or you could make a separate table just for converts.

FenderGuy69

In the “Boxscore” Tab:

I’d separate out the pass completions and attempts into individual columns rather than X/Y. The average in passing should be per pass attempt rather than pass completion.

A few things as far as wish list but understand if it can’t be provided:

Provide Completion %
Provide Passing Efficiency
Provide Fumbles for Rushers
Provide Forced Fumbles for Defensive Stats

In the “Play By Play” tab:

The Line Of Scrimmage is very much required.

As far as the “Matchup” Tab:

I’d have an overall comparison. Points Per Game For/Against. Turnover Ratio. Penalties. Those would be the three overall comparables I’d use.

Your three stats for offense are pretty good. No suggestions if you’re limited to three

I’d use the same three for Defense. Yards allowed, total-passing-rushing.

You may want to consider a grouping that includes sacks, big plays & turnovers.

That’s it for now from myself.

Things look nice and slick!

Congrats Everybody!

Mark Fulton aka @FenderGuy69 on here and Twitter etc etc

Paolo X

Quote from: "FenderGuy69"
In the “Boxscore” Tab:

I’d separate out the pass completions and attempts into individual columns rather than X/Y. The average in passing should be per pass attempt rather than pass completion.

For sake of discussion, I disagree only on this point. Only completions count in reality for sake of yardage, but why not include both averages? If we have to choose, include yards per completion and not per pass attempt.

It would be telling for example to note a QB in a game with a low average per completion yet a very high average per pass attempt. Such a stat could suggest some combination of poor pass protection, noodle arm, poor passing accuracy, and/or excellent pass defence.

Quote from: "FenderGuy69"
A few things as far as wish list but understand if it can’t be provided:

Provide Completion %
Provide Passing Efficiency
Provide Fumbles for Rushers
Provide Forced Fumbles for Defensive Stats

In the “Play By Play” tab:

The Line Of Scrimmage is very much required.

As far as the “Matchup” Tab:

I’d have an overall comparison. Points Per Game For/Against. Turnover Ratio. Penalties. Those would be the three overall comparables I’d use.

Your three stats for offense are pretty good. No suggestions if you’re limited to three

I’d use the same three for Defense. Yards allowed, total-passing-rushing.

You may want to consider a grouping that includes sacks, big plays & turnovers.

That’s it for now from myself.

Things look nice and slick!

Congrats Everybody!

Mark Fulton aka @FenderGuy69 on here and Twitter etc etc

Great wish list of suggestions!  :thup:

Linden53

Hopefully everything is added for the most part - looking forward to the first game tracker. Last season seemed to be slow and sometimes the tracker would freeze up. Better things for this season.

Mugsy13

Looking at the team stats at the bottom, can you add other things such as first downs (passing, rushing, penalties), Penalties and yards penalized, time of possession and total yards?

Mugsy13

Another couple things I noticed, all player stats should be sorted descending by yards on first load. For defence, it should be total tackles. You might want to add the pass completion percentage to the QBs as well.

jkm

I'm not used to the new format and am having trouble quoting other posters.

FootbalYouBet

I would like to see the efficiency rating per QB per game instead of just for the team.

Maybe I have missed somewhere?
Live well and please God

FYB has left the building

Users Online

113 Guests, 16 Users (16 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
mike619, papazoola, Clawed2bitz, sully, Wumper, GOTC1, blackgold73, Sidney, Stangbang, Mark, ticats28, Lennywasout, PTBO Dave, MrLucky, Yahoo!, Google (15)

Most Online Today: 192. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)