QQ One-Nine

This is inspired by Hank01's speculation that the team might be willing to part with Jovon Johnson because they hae someone else in mind.

The guys below have not contributed a whole lot...yet.  Do you recall seeing/hearing anything that makes you optimistic that the light is about to go on for one of them?

79   Acree, Matt DL           I   6.03   295   23   Drake
    39   Backus, Quinn LB    I   5.10   215   24   Coastal Carolina
    31   Boyett, John DB           I   5.10   203   26   Oregon
    8   Harty, Jake WR          —   6.02   210   24   Calgary
    –   Kanongata’a, John DL   I   5.09   216   23   Montana
    97   Kashama, Kalonji DL   —   6.04   259   24   Eastern Michigan
    37   Lafrance, Kienan RB   —   5.10   210   24   Manitoba
    49   Lattanzio, Ettore DL   —   6.00   252   25   Ottawa
    —   Legaré, Simon OL     —   6.04   305   26   Montreal
    83   Macdonell, Scott WR   —   6.05   220   24   Queen’s
    50   Malcolm, Kevin LS   —   5.11   230   24   McMaster
    —   Mark, Venric RB            I   5.08   175   —   West Texas A&M
    90   Marshall, Andrew DL   —   6.03   240   25   Simon Fraser
    —   Owens, Ladarius DL    I   6.02   259   24   Auburn
    18   Pierzchalski, Alex WR   —   6.05   220   24   Toronto
    47   Romick, Nigel DL           —   6.05   248   24   Saint Mary’s
    36   Rosamonda, Nick LB    I   6.01   212   25   North Greenville
    —   Shoemaker, Tyler WR    I   6.01   200   27   Boise State
    59   Silas, Jake OL             I   6.07   315   24   Buffalo
    —   Simmons, Skyy WR    I    6.04   200   28   Syracuse
    —   Taylor, LaVance RB    I   5.10   194   26   Central Missouri
    34   Van, Travon RB            I   5.11   205   24   Montana
    —   Washington, Evan OL    I   6.05   322   24   Louisiana State
    51   Wheaton, Aaron OL   —   6.05   295   23   Toronto
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.

QQ One-Nine

Ugh...Sorry the list looks so crap...

We've seen a bit of Boyett, and talked about him here earlier.  He had that great pick in Hamilton. Looked pretty dynamic out there when he was healthy (which was rarely) but also, like Abdul Kanneh, the type to really walk that line between aggressive tackling and 15-yards too aggressive. I could see the team being confident about replacing Brandon Thompson with that guy.

And I know it's not all about measurables, but we need to replace a right tackle and Jake Silas is a rather healthy sounding 6'7", 315. I just remember when they showed the Edmonton offensive line stats during the Grey Cup and those guys were all gigantic. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does.

QQ One-Nine

Check out Quinn Backus' laundry list of accomplishments.

• Graduated from Coastal Carolina in Spring of 2015
• 2015 Medal of Honor Bowl MVP for American Team
• 2014 FCS Athletic Directors Association “Top Collegiate Linebacker”
• College Football Performance Awards 2015 Elite Linebacker Award
• Two-time Buck Buchanan Award Finalist (2013-7th, 2014-4th)
• Three-time All-American (2012, 2013, 2014)
• Three-time Big South Defensive Player of the Year (2012, 2013, 2014)
• 1st player to lead Big South in tackles three years
• Three-time 1st team All-Big South (2012, 2013, 2014)
• 10-time Big South Defensive Player of the Week
• 9 National Player of the Week Honors
• 414 career tackles are 14th in NCAA FCS history, 2nd in Big South history and 1st in CCU history
• 243 career solo tackles are 10th in NCAA FCS history and are a Big South and CCU records
• Led CCU in tackles 26 times
• Had 21 double-digit tackle games
• Member of the National Football Foundation Hampshire Honor Society
• Earned Big South Presidential Honor Roll recognition three times (2011-12, 2013-14 and 2014-15)

Hank01

Backus resume is impressive .

mick87

Jake Silas is indeed a formidable size. I thought he'd be a good replacement for Kelly once he left for the NFL. However, with the recent departures of Shologan and Capicciotti, we're now short 2 Canadian starters. Maybe RT can be filled by a National? Another Canadian receiver (Alex Pierzchalski may be a good fit) and replace the DL's with some internationals.

QQ One-Nine

I'm really rooting for Connor Williams to take the opportunity in front of him.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2016/01/20/red ... rom-injury

Pictures of him on Twitter hitting the gym like crazy. Hope it pays off.

QQ One-Nine

Some nice comments from DC Mark Nelson during mini-camp.

“That (Gascon-Nadon) kid’s looked good,” Nelson said. “You always lose good players, but there are always good players who can step up and play. If I had to pick a guy that I thought I came in and made the most improvement, I’d say Forrest (Hightower). I know where he was last year and his arrow went up. That’s a tribute to a guy who busted his ass in the off-season, listened to what we told him and went and got better. Hopefully when all is said and done, we’ll have 12 guys on our defence with their arrows pointing up.”

QQ One-Nine

Mike Moore apparently gets the start tonight at defensive end. Clearly Whiteside has that gig sewn up if he's healthy, but this is quite the opportunity for a late signee like Moore.

Jake Harty is pencilled in as a starter at WR, while McDonnell and Pierzchalski are listed as back-ups to sinopoli. He contributed quickly on special teams last year so maybe he's had an impressive camp. He's been mentioned as a possibility there for some time to replace lost Canadian talent so it could just be an experiment too. Either way, the door's wide open.

QQ One-Nine

Well, hopefully Travon Van does.  :oops:

I want to watch the game again tonight, but one guy that stood out to me was Ettore Lattanzio.  I was a little surprised to see him as a 2nd-team DT because he's relatively small (I think 6'0" and 250 or so), but he looked pretty disruptive, even if stats don't really reflect it.

Jake Harty certainly didn't look out of place.  :thup:

slimjim2

Just a little reminder that the season starts in less than a week   Ellingson will step up as usual.  

QQ One-Nine

Lol...Never gets old.  Unless you're that DB!

Speaking of DBs, a co-worker just mentioned to me that Campbell said on radio that Jonathan Rose might start this week in the defensive backfield.  I assume he would be replacing Brandon Sermons, who was expected to take over the corner spot vacated by Jovon Johnson. Pretty impressive for such a late signing.  :thup:

slimjim2

Who stepped up?
Harris
Williams
Milo
Sinopoli
Zach Evans?
The "O" line?
Van?

Hank01

Wow  Harris stepped up big time with Williams .   Milo what a clutch field goal from 57 yards?  Great offence from the receiving core . Van looked better as the game went on . Fantastic start and first win in Edmonton since 83 .

Great entertaining game . Need to clean up a few off sides and confusion in players on the field but a great game non the less .

noback

Quote from: "slimjim2"
Who stepped up?
Harris - YES
Williams - ABSOLUTELY!! (no drops)
Milo - no misses
Sinopoli - Again Mister Clutch
Zach Evans? - great job last night
The "O" line? - same as last year - loads of time to rack up over 500 yrds in passing!!!!!!!!!!
Van? ----- on the fence so far, little to no running game so far?
Southsiders Rule --- North Side Still Sucks!

mick87

Any report on injuries? Burris is not supposed to be that serious, Gascon-Nadon went down with what looked like a cramp, not sure though. Did Mateas finish the game?

Users Online

133 Guests, 11 Users (12 Spiders, 2 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
Sidney, mycko75, mr62cats, CFL in QC, Onemoredork, papazoola, RiX, bluereggie, RougeMe, Google (12)

Most Online Today: 193. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)