QQ One-Nine

Some new faces and some old, but Lemon's release made official to start the 2016 season.

SIGNED international linebacker Quinn Backus (5'10", 215 lbs., Coastal Carolina)
SIGNED national offensive lineman Simon Legaré (6'4", 305 lbs., Montreal)
SIGNED international running back Travon Van (5'11", 205 lbs., Montana)
SIGNED international defensive lineman Matt Acree (6'3", 295 lbs., Drake)
SIGNED national long snapper Tanner Doll (6'0", 221 lbs., Calgary)

SIGNED international running back Venric Mark (5'8", 175 lbs., West Texas A&M)
SIGNED international defensive lineman Ladarius Owens (6'2", 259 lbs., Auburn)
SIGNED international wide receiver Tyler Shoemaker (6'1", 212 lbs., Boise State)
SIGNED international wide receiver Skyy Simmons (6'4", 200 lbs., Syracuse)
SIGNED international offensive lineman Evan Washington (6'5", 322 lbs., Louisiana State)

RELEASED international defensive lineman Shawn Lemon
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.

QQ One-Nine

Venric Mark as a high school senior (fro Wikipedia).

After committing to Northwestern, Mark went on to win five gold medals in the 2010 TAPPS Class 5A State Track and Field Championships. He won the 100 meters (10.96 seconds), 200 meters (22.26), long jump (23 feet 1 inch (7.04 m)-state record) and triple jump (44 feet 0.25 inches (13.42 m)). He was the anchor of the winning 4 × 100 metres relay (43.36).[11][13] Mark was the state championship meet's elite athlete, scoring 45 of St. Pius' 86 points. The school finished as runner-up to St. Michael's Catholic Academy (88 points) in the state championships even though St. Pius' 4 × 200 metres relay team, which was a favorite, had been disqualified in earlier competition.[

QQ One-Nine

Repost:

•SIGNED international offensive lineman Jake Silas (6’7?, 315 lbs., Buffalo)
•SIGNED national offensive lineman Aaron Wheaton (6’5?, 295 lbs., Toronto)
•SIGNED national receiver Philip Enchill (6’0?”, 200 lbs., Montreal)

QQ One-Nine

Overlooked among the transactions above, intended to move guys from the practice roster to the "main" roster, it was missed that Vincent Desloges was not among those signed. He made a comment no Twitter over the weekend to the effect that he was no longer a RedBlack.

Also in that group, for what it's worth, is Travell Dixon who was on the suspended list for much of the year. I think he had difficulty getting into the country.

Both could still be brought back for camp, I suppose, especially Desloges if some of our Canadian defensive linemen free agents bolt.

noback

OTTAWA — The Ottawa REDBLACKS have crossed the first name off their potential free agent list.  The defending East Division champions announced Wednesday the signing of fullback Patrick Lavoie to a three-year contract extension.

The 28-year-old Lavoie, who would have been eligible for free agency in February, joined the REDBLACKS after being selected by the club in the 2013 CFL Expansion Draft from the Montreal Alouettes.

“I am very happy to be back with the REDBLACKS organisation. This is where I want to play,” said Lavoie in a statement.

Last season, the native of Sainte-Flavie, Quebec and Laval grad caught 16 passes for 140 yards and two touchdowns during the regular season. He also captured a three-yard pass from Henry Burris and shouldered his way into the end zone to open the scoring in the 103rd Grey Cup presented by Shaw last month in Winnipeg. Lavoie had three catches for 24 yards in the title match.

After being selected by the Alouettes 11th overall in the 2012 CFL Draft, Lavoie had an outstanding rookie season in Montreal, catching 33 passes for 307 yards and four touchdowns.
Southsiders Rule --- North Side Still Sucks!

QQ One-Nine

You know, that's not bad at all. Good attitude, hard worker...I remember one time when the special teams blew a coverage (no, really!) he was massively pissed and I appreciated that, at least.  In fact, I could be wrong, but I think he was special teams captain.

Really pleased by this and the length of the contract. A position we really won't have to worry about for quite a while now. Nice.  :thup:

Hank01

He definitely is a great weapon near the goal line this past year and knows how to leverage his body to be the hitter when he gets low on an opponent . He also catches the ball well and is able to turn up field and gets hit and survives contact without fumbles . His reliability has been rewarded  .

QQ One-Nine

"Defensive lineman Zack Evans has agreed to a two-year contract extension with the Ottawa REDBLACKS."

Nice move. One of my favourite players on the team. Regina born, played junior ball and university ball there. I was sure we were going to lose him, to tell you the truth.

Makes more plays than many people realize. Really happy with this.

noback

Glad they got him for another two years for sure. Heck of a player and one we really needed back!!  :thup:

Keep the signings coming  :cowboy:

mick87

This is great news. He's a difference maker and fun to watch. Wasn't sure we'd get him back. Can't wait for more!

QQ One-Nine

Quote from: "mick87"
This is great news. He's a difference maker and fun to watch. Wasn't sure we'd get him back. Can't wait for more!

You won't have to!

"The Ottawa REDBLACKS of the Canadian Football League have re-signed national offensive lineman Matt Albright."

Sounds like just one year though.

QQ One-Nine

They're really hitting the ground running in 2016...

OTTAWA — Less than a year after marking the off-season’s biggest signing, Chris Williams and the Ottawa REDBLACKS have agreed they’re a pretty good match.

The dynamic star receiver has agreed to a contract extension with the REDBLACKS, the team announced Tuesday, as the league’s third-leading receiver will return to the nation’s capital in 2016.

Remember when we were being told that this guy had no loyalty and would be gone after a year? Didn't even bother to hit free agency.

mick87

Wow, off to a blistering start.

I'm wondering what the Redblacks will do with regards to DeMarco. Burris has another year, but beyond that I'm not sure what he'll do. Are they confident that DeMarco can take over if Burris retires, or will they look for a more proven QB?

QQ One-Nine

From the Citizen article about Williams being signed:

"Another could be receiver/returner Jamill Smith, who on Christmas Eve tweeted an image of a one-year contract offer from the Redblacks."

QQ One-Nine

Quote from: "mick87"
Wow, off to a blistering start.

I'm wondering what the Redblacks will do with regards to DeMarco. Burris has another year, but beyond that I'm not sure what he'll do. Are they confident that DeMarco can take over if Burris retires, or will they look for a more proven QB?

They seem to like Danny O'Brien, but I don't really see it. I think after Burris goes, someone more experienced will be brought in.

I don't think DeMarco is it either. He's just that emergency type that is good to have.  Holds for kicks, can punt, comes in on trick plays...He's like having a fire extinguisher in the house.  :)

Users Online

170 Guests, 13 Users (11 Spiders, 1 Hidden)

Users active in past 15 minutes:
mr62cats, bobo82, dcmoses, Grover, sth1988, pikk, raymarkca, Hamilton2005, blackandgld, Buck Wild, TheBreeze, Mightygoose, Google (11)

Most Online Today: 268. Most Online Ever: 484 (Aug 28 2017, 09:35 PM)